“Heaven on Earth. The Real Eden!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free!
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
“Heaven on Earth. The Real Eden!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We came on a family trip and we have been spoiled since we arrived here. It will be difficult to hit to road back home after so many indulgences we submitted ourselves. The service plus the location makes this place unforgettable. I must romantic destination if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Get room between the 100 and 200s.
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We just got back from our honeymoon in Bora Bora and I instantly had to jump on the computer to share my thoughts. We have stayed at many Four Seasons but this one blew the others out of the water. The staff was absolutely amazing. Everyone knew and remembered our names, never once said no to a request, and had the "wow factor" throughout our stay.

In my opinion many hotels/businesses have great customer service, but the way the Four Seasons executed it just felt special. It was almost effortless and simply felt genuine. Everyone from the boat drivers, concierge, waiters, to the guys working the water sports facility greeted us with a smile and absolutley unparrelled service. I simply cannot stress it enough how great everyone was.

As for the hotel/rooms, it's truly stunning. Great facilities, good room size, awesome views of the island and sunset. Since it is new the coral reefs are not as mature but they have a great marine bioligist named Oliver on sight that is working to build it up. One of the greatest ammenities the hotel offers is a private lagoon tour with Oliver where he teaches guest about coral reefs, ecology, and the marine life local to the area. This tour is offered for free when they could easily have charged for it.

Overall the hotel is very expensive, but anyone complaining about this should realize that it is the FOUR SEASONS and is located in BORA BORA. Both of which are expensive and when you combine the two you are crazy to expect it to not be expensive. As with most things though, you get what you pay for. With the price comes an unbelieveble experience and memories you cannot put a price tag on.

Room Tip: Spring for a sunset facing, mountain view OWB
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

My 2 girlfriends and I just got back from Bora Bora, and it was worth EVERY penny. What made it so amazing was definitely our resort choice.

At first, I was a little worried because we were traveling in May, but we had the perfect weather while we were down there. We stayed in an OWB that had the best view of the lagoon, which also came with a view of the sunrise, and amazing night sky. Upon arrival you take a boat to the resort which instantly previews what service level you receive. It just so happened that the airlines lost our luggage on our travels, and when we let the woman who greeted us at the airport know, the resort was notified by the time we got there on the boat (about a 15 min. ride). The staff at the Four Seasons Bora Bora did everything they could to make sure that we received our luggage once it was forwarded to the resort, and even went as far to provide us with mini survival kits for all the necessities we would need until then.

The ride over is beautiful, and you are given a lei, bottled water, and these heavenly smelling cold towels to cool off with.

The bungalows themselves are awesome! The tub fits at least 3 (yes, we tried), and there are sliding doors that you can open for a great view from outside the tub. Beds are some of the most comfortable I've ever slept in, even beating out my own, and they provide you with ample pillows and new sheets daily. You have an outdoor shower if you want to rinse off before/after you jump in the lagoon off of the deck you have, but there is an indoor shower with a double shower head as well. The rooms also are pretty technologically advanced for such a remote place. We had an iHome in our room and 2 flat screen TV's. Dont waste time watching the TV though, unless you are going to order a movie (which they have ample to choose from in the Business Center Room for FREE so dont order PPV).

Service was pretty good. A lot of the staff are friendly, although I must admit if you do order room service expect to wait at least 20-25 minutes. If you order cart service, its the exact opposite. You can expect someone at your door within 10 minutes or less, more like 5. Loved the Cabanas, where they also provide you with the cold towels and some complimentary traditional treats. As far as drinking goes, the local beer is great, and the drinks are too, but they did run out of liquor towards the end of our week long trip.

Food is great too. Go for the more traditional stuff. The "american" foods they have on the menu are good, but the more polynesian selections they have are amazing.

The spa was something out of heaven. Lucie is amazing at what she does, but every aspect of the spa is top of the line. They don't mention it unless you ask, but you can use some of the services like the relaxation room and the locker room with sauna and private pool without using the spa services.

Lots of honeymooners (which is expected), but this was an amazing vacation even for 3 single girls. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to soak up the sun in the most tranquil, easy going place you will ever find.

My only complaint from the whole trip were the bugs! The call them "no-nos" and they are almost like little sand flies, but EVERYWHERE! Just bring bug spray and you'll be fine. Dont forget it like we did :)

I cannot WAIT to go back to the Four Seasons Bora Bora!

Room Tip: You can see the mountain from any view/room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

The site was nice, but a considerable amount of the resort oasis areas are man-made and look phony. The mosquitos were very bad... and it seemed that they were always spraying pesticides. There was an upgrade for the view, and I paid for that. But the better views were toward the mountain, and not the lagoon. Then, there was an additional charge-- per person -- for a boat ride across the lagoon to the city shops. It was very expensive and so I asked them to get pricing on a water taxi. They refused to call for me. So, once there, you are practically stranded. I paid for the boat ride one time, and everyone on board complained about the inaccessibility and the price. Additionally, the television was difficult to operate. I asked for help. I had to ask several times. Then they sent someone who also could not figure out the remote. I speak English and the channels he found were only in French. Very nice architecture. Picturesque, but really very hot. Essentially, to participate in anything, you had to sign up with a vendor and leave the area. So, once there, you could swim or sunbathe or eat.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
kihei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

(We stayed in September, sorry for the late review. It appears from some other reviews that people snorkeled with fish on the Four Season's property? We weren't able to do that in September...)
The only word is WOW! So, we stayed at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora. We were totally pampered. I highly recommend this resort. I’ll make a quick list here and then expand below so one might read on a topic that interests.

The OWBs are very Four Seasons, nicely appointed, tasteful.
The Staff is attentive.
The lagoon is stunning, and basically dead. No reef, barely a fish. Very strong current. The prettiest color blue I’ve ever laid eyes upon.
The Beach service is fantastic. The beach itself is lovely but has issues that would not prevent us from returning.
The Pool appears pretty as we walked by, we’re not pool people.
Restaurants… I’m gluten free and have other food allergies. Amazing attention was given to this, overall very shocking how attentive and lovely the staff was regarding this situation. Btw- without asking them, they started the conversation most times. The food was delicious.
Workout facilities. This is the only REAL disappointment at the resort. This is a new Four Seasons and the gym is tiny compared to the number of rooms. The floor was very slippery and not a gym floor.
The spa is also tiny and requires appointments well in advance. Massage was heavenly and professional.
Concierge: Eric is amazing. Trust him
Grounds are lovely with places to walk and explore.
Transportation was easy with transfers to and from the airport. The boats to and from Vaitape are only twice a day. It’s possible to arrange $$ private transfers, but the hotel is a tad reluctant.
Off Property:
Diving: My husband went on a private dive with Bathys. DH is a dive master and he had a good time. Snorkeling: We went on a private snorkel with Christophe Poch, the only word is GO! Reef Discovery 689 76 43 43 He made a cd for us with photos and a small video. He found rays and explained the fish in the coral garden. What a delight! www.reefdiscovery.pf

Vaitape:
Bloody Mary’s, Perfect Perfect fish, the rest, is kitschy. Great service. A must go, and would go back in a heartbeat.
Kaina Hut, every bite is delicious! Fabulous service.
Bora Bora Home. They’re representing Bora Bora artists and have a well edited selection. Nice people, and great taste. Truly a gem.
Robert Wan… If you’re buying and running behind, they will shuttle you to your hotel on their boat. Yay
Yeves the taxi driver is wonderful
Off Island
Papeete
It’s not for me. It seemed kind of seedy. We overnighted at the Intercontinental which is mediocre with really scratchy sheets. Very tired hotel actually. The service is really slow. If you need a luggage pick up at 8:30, tell them 7:55, seriously! And the restaurant service is exceptionally slow. Like molasses. The taxi driver was a bright spot.
Okay, the expanded version… You know a lot of this will seem picky, but if you’re a control freak, you’ll appreciate knowing what to bring. It’s a very small place. Just running out to buy something isn’t possible.

The Four Seasons OWBs… They’re quite comfortable. The bed is cozy, the bath is in the right spot for views. There are small cutouts in the floor for viewing.. The walls have some strange cement windows. Didn’t get that one. I think it’s for privacy, but it just came across as a cemented window. Plenty of closet space. The bath products are L’Occitaine. Not sure about the Shampoo and Conditioner as they’re in charming ceramic jugs. I noticed what was not included compared to other Four Seasons beach resorts. No Woolite, no sewing kit, no shower caps, no after sun lotion, just the regular lemon body lotion. I generally use all these items. I poached a shower cap from the spa. And was prepared with the other items. Also, I didn’t check the guests laundry area as I was on vacation and didn’t want to get too heavily involved in chores. Maybe there was Woolite there? Anyway, I write about this mundane #($! as it’s important to know what to bring. The Four Seasons does not have laundry lines in their rooms. We had wet bathing suits and had to improvise as to how to dry them. On Maui they have little stands for the lanai. I’m sure this is to prevent people from swinging their suits over the railing, but still, lovely if Bora Bora could do the same. We received some wonderful fruit upon arrival and that’s it. No extra fruit, no flowers, orchids, ginger, etc. in the room. It’s a very expensive resort, so I was a little surprised. I’m grateful that the room was not sprinkled with flowers on every surface, but I miss the orchids in a bud vase on the bath counters. There is a hot water kettle for tea, so I was in heaven. Snacks, well, what did you bring with you? BRING SNACKS! I packed Justin’s Peanut Butter packets, sunflower seeds, Gluten free crackers, glad I did. I love hotels that have the empty fridge these days. But there is not a store unless you want to go to Vaitape and spend boat loads of $$ for tiny bag of Doritos. The hotel will happily bring snacks, but again, sometimes it’s just nice to have what you want when you want it.

The bungalows are set out over the water on piers. Regarding the views, some bungalows will have views of the bungalows across the lagoon, others will have views of the private beach set aside for the big private villas, and some will have views of the mountain and the sea. So, do you want it expensive, really expensive, or super expensive? We enjoyed our views of the mountain and it was well worth the extra pennies.

Jumping into the lagoon is fun for a real swim. Not for lounging! That current is strong. But wonderful to have the shower on the deck. OH! And the room numbers, thanks for that. The bungalows are all the same. Ha ha. There is ample room outside for dining and sunning. Perfection!

The lagoon at this resort is completely barren. Knowing this before we went staved off any disappointments. Taking a swim off the deck in the am instead of working out is a benefit! Despite this lack of sea life, I had a lot of fun in the lagoon! It’s the prettiest color and kind of a relief after snorkeling with so many fish.

The swimming off the beach is a bit simpler. There is still a current, but it’s mild. The water is shallow, but deep enough to get some swimming in. We loved it.

The beach service is AMAZING! Totally pampered. We took to the thatched roof lounging area and could stay there the rest of our lives. The staff will happily bring you samples of virgin drinks, coconut milkshakes? OMG! Pineapple, kiwi things, I don’t know what it all was, but it was heavenly. Lunch on the beach? A roof for the rain? The coziest beach lounger? Friendly happy staff? All heaven. Now if we could get rid of the smokers, we’d be set! Strive for a hut away from the bar. It’s 1995 calling, they want the cigar back!

The bar was fun. Our bartender was happy to replicate A Virgin Coconut Mint Refresher from Mama’s Fish House in Paia. I have the ingredients memorized. Yum

The beach itself is tranquil. The water is so pretty to take in, there is a small step into the water. And, OH! The sand doesn’t get hot. Yay. The floor of the lagoon is kind of gushy and coraly. The water was chilly in September. There is a little island out in the water. It was a popular photo op.

We went kayaking one day. Or, one minute I should say. I’m totally lame as a kayak captain, so instead of getting an individual, get the double and tell your husband what a great paddler he is! The current is really really strong. I’m much better at steering the beach lounger.

Gluten Free Bora Bora. Okay, if you don’t have food allergies, this is going to get more boring than above. I’m not celiac. I’m allergic to wheat. So, I can’t tell you if I’m cross contaminated or “glutened” I can taste wheat, but if there is a smidge of hidden wheat, I won’t know for a day or so. Okay, given that. The hotel was absolutely amazing. I communicated with the Food and Bev Manager prior to arrival. He placed in my profile that I’m gluten free. After giving the staff our room number they would always discuss or double check our order for gluten. They even bothered to mention their fries were fried in oil that had fried wheat. Luckily for me, it’s not an issue. It was so sweet! I felt like they really cared and were extremely attentive to my needs. If you suffer from celiac, you know how special this is. They were able to modify the menu. They had a yummy gluten free bread available at any time. They were just wonderful about it and it made the trip fun. The 4 Seasons is fabulous at preparing food at odd times. We like green veggies in the AM. “My pleasure” was the response. Lovely! The food at the resort is tasty. We enjoyed the fine dining restaurant two nights. It was lovely.

Vaitape Restaurants… I would just ask a lot of questions. “Is it grilled, are there marinades? Soy Sauce?” and adjust what I ordered without trying to educated with language barriers, etc. I feel great and had so much to eat. There is so much fruit and white rice around. I don’t expect to eat as healthy as I do at home. Finding a whole grain could prove challenging. But trust me, no one makes better French Fries than the French! I gained 6 pounds, all worth it.

After all that nitpicking about the bungalow… I actually loved it. It’s the gym I’m sad about… in a word? Sucks. The floor is so slippery it’s dangerous. It’s billed as open air, which will depend on how much politicking one wants to do with honeymooners enjoying 65 degree air conditioning with the doors closed. (I love a warm gym). The equipment might be fine for some, but I’m not a fan of most cardio equipment. I’m used to ARC trainers, bosu balls, step (not machine), and doing lunges in place. The slippery floor and lack of equipment nixed my plan. They have a jump rope which is not typical and a saving grace. Okay, and, one bench for a gym full of 15+ people? No room at all. I’m really surprised because the crowd is quite young and fit and although I’m not likely to do the 2 ½ hours a day I will at home, an hour first thing in the morning is key to a happy wife.

The Spa is teeny tiny (one toilet) and it’s advisable to book a few months in advance. I was able to squeak in a massage. The Polynesian technique was wonderful. My therapist was professional, talented, and very sweet.

The grounds are conducive to a lovely walk. We walked the resort frequently. We walked all the pontoons, the grounds with the lots for sale, etc. It’s pretty and full of beautiful views and trees. Easy to get around with signs and such. The only complaint someone might have is how long of a walk one might experience if they’re in the 300-400 wing of pontoons. I think the views are better there? Not too sure. We were on the other pontoon, 100 wing. We still had a walk, but were happy about it as we’re cardio junkies. We noticed a lot of other guests calling for rides. There is so much to do there. Badminton, Tennis, or sneak into the Teen Island Lounge and play with their video games, ha ha!

Transportation is what it is. Okay, upon arrival at the airport we met the Four Seasons staff at their booth who gave us a lei greeting and helped with luggage and then we boarded a boat full of other guests. The boat ride is beautiful. Then we were met at the lobby and whisked away on a golf cart with another couple. We waited while they were checked in to their room. Then we were taken to ours. The check-in procedure is strange. They actually write down the entire credit card number. I really don’t appreciate this. It’s a huge weak point in security. I’m sure they “Do their utmost to…” bla bla bla. But seriously, it’s 2010, they need a better way to keep track of things. This handwriting or imprinting must stop. I would rather the check-in procedure be at the front desk and with a swipe so the staff cannot view the numbers. We’ve had our credit card numbers stolen and used so much after big trips like this where they “do their utmost to ensure our security…” . We’ll see what happens this time. Nothing so far!

We took a scheduled boat to Vaitape. We had a sashimi lunch at Bloody Mary’s and then decided to go shopping when we realized we were going to miss our boat if the store didn’t hurry up and finish the mountains of paperwork required for taxes. The store offered to give us a ride back in their boat. (Smart jewelry store) and we stayed in town another hour and went to Bora Bora Home. YOU MUST SHOP THERE! (A word about shopping in Polynesia. If you do duty free, they all handwrite the credit card number down in case you didn’t file the papers correctly at the airport. This credit card number thing drives me crazy. We have a spare card we use for public reasons, ready to cancel at a moments notice. But, it’s unnerving to have to keep replacing credit cards once they’re compromised. I will say, we’ve had good luck so far, no calls. )

We then took the public boat again from 4 Seasons to Vaitape to town for dinner. We scheduled a private boat back because 6:45 to 9:45… what the heck were we going to do for all that time? There’s nothing to do in Vaitape, and we’re early risers, and we don’t drink. ? Soooo glad we did. The gentleman who took us back were both great! Then took us again a few nights later. Lovely Polynesian guys, can’t remember their names. Super nice and professional. It was very romantic to be on our private boat whisked away at sunset. My husband mentioned that there was some confusion about our asking for private transfers. We are happy to pay for such a service, but for some reason the bookings had to go through management and our regular concierge, Eric, wasn’t making the booking. So, I think there may have been some confusion or language barrier? Not sure what happened there. However, in the end the Four Seasons of course came through for us and we were totally thrilled.

Wow did you really read all that? So, all in all, If my big problems in life are being bothered by a small slippery gym, a missing sewing kit, and having to trust people with my credit card number while on a trip of al lifetime to Bora Bora in the sun, the wonderful sea, the super friendly people, the best fish in the world… Life’s pretty darn good! We’re looking forward to next year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

This hotel is meant to be a lazy around and not really leave it so much. So don't plan a long vacation here, because you will get bored. 5 or 6 nights is perfect. The rooms are spacious. Big suite with huge living room, bedroom, closets and bathroom. We had an over the water bungalow- which faced the resort and I could see both the resort and across from the resort. You do not need to pay more to face the mountain- its a waste. Our view had its own little island out from it. Our deck was nice sized and had snorkeling gear all ready to go! Yes we came across a few little critters in our room- but hey - you are out over the water and on a tropical island.. its bound to happen anywhere. No biggie. The resort itself was nice. They had their own little area for snorkeling - just like the st. regis does. Its nice because you do not have to worry about any sharks or anything getting in b/c its netted off from the main water. There are MANY beautiful fish and such in here. The coolest thing I found was a squid. All the way at the back near where the spa was. That was awesome. It looked just like in super mario at the water levels. :) Food- Not the best but it didnt bother me. It was ok and definitely edible. The best thing was that breakfast had such a large spread you could get anything you want. I expected better, but who knows.. maybe French Polynesia is not know for food (read reviews of other restaurants, and I dont believe it is). What was fabulous at this place were the drinks. But they are over $20 each for a mojito so that can add up fast! They have a great wine selection also.

We also went to the Polynesian show. That was fun. You sit at a large table and get to mix and mingle with other guests. Little did I know - that was the first and only time you really get to mix and mingle.

The pool is great. When I was there they were attentive to your needs. Always asked if we needed something like every 30 minutes or hour.... They brought around free shots to people at the pool... some island rum sorta thing... nothing to get you drunk.. but good to wet your whistle. They also have a private beach which is super nice too.

Free kayaks and unmotorized sports were right there for us to use anytime. We paddled ourselves to the main island, but when we got there- there was nothing really to see or do, and we walked around a little bit but it was boring. Then we paddled to the St. Regis where we walked around. That place was just as nice as the four seasons, and they have a restaurant over the water that looked cool-- but we were not dressed to eat there.

My only complaint - they make you pay to get a shuttle to the main island. They have like one free one a day..... Really? So I come all the way to this island and Im stuck at the Four Seasons unless I want to paddle myself over to the St. Regis or pay $100 each time I want to go on a 5 minute boat ride? They need to come up with another system, because that is ridiculous.

Overall it was perfect because it was my honeymoon and I did not really want to to much other than hang out and relax - which that is all there is to do there, so it was perfect. Oh and I have been all over the World to beaches, and this is BY FAR the most perfect water that I have ever seen! The land around the main island keeps all of the big waves and crazy water and animals out- so the water is perfect, clean, and the most beautiful.

Room Tip: It all seems perfect!
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I went for my honeymoon to Bora Bora and loved every bit of it... I googled a lot about this place and read reviews on TA before narrowing it down to Four Seasons. I was not disappointment one bit. This was the first time I was staying at Four Seasons and I was super excited. I had booked "Short Package" for 4 nights, which included both breakfast and lunch. At the airport, Four Seasons staff greeted us with water, garland, cold towel and this amazing boat to take us to the resort. We checked into our Beach View OWB. The room was just absolutely brilliant and the view was just amazing.. This one was just close to paradise.

The staff were very helpful and always smiling. The hospitality surpassed that of any other hotel I have been to. They arranged for us to go for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling and various other activities. The itinerary comes to your room for your confirmation the previous day .

The food is good. I thought there would be some difficulty, since I'm a vegeterian. But there was a separate vegetarian menu. The spa here is the BEST... I just can't stop raving about Bora Bora and about this property. I had to travel 35 hours to reach Bora Bora and I wouldn't mind going all over again to stay at this place :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora? Share your experiences!