“Secret Travel Tips!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Greenwich, Connecticut, United States
“Secret Travel Tips!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Fantastic hotel and my best vacation experience to date. Most of it covered in other reviews so I won't duplicate.

Some of the travel tips I picked up while I was here and from a friend who also visited that aren't in a lot of these reviews:
- They do not want you going to other hotels and charge a ridiculous surcharge for the boat trip there. I wanted to try the Four Seasons restaurant and was flat out told no by some concierge, and others indicated a close to $100 boat charge.
- The bikes on site are miserable. Warped tires, gears that don't work, uncomfortable seats. My wife was pregnant and needed a more stable bike, so they let us use the three wheelers that housekeeping uses. Ask for a lock so you can call dibs on the few decent bikes around.
- Food is decent, but nothing spectacular and nowhere near the cost. The burger was the best dish we had.
- It got cold at night so a light jacket might be necessary (July timeframe).
- Tennis court had no pros available to hit with! Bummer.
- Internet is pretty decent and supposedly much better than other hotels (due to James Cameron's generosity while working on Avatar editing there).
- Lagoon snorkeling is much better in the early morning. Water was crystal clear and was not like that later in the day.
- Villa Mahana was closed, but apparently you need to reserve dinner here VERY early in your planning process and is a must try.

Hope that helps!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

What an upstanding treat this resort is! We stayed for eight nights and would have been happy with eighty. From the moment we were greater by Resort staff with leis at the airport to the moment they dropped us back to the same spot we were treated as well as any couple could hope for anywhere in the world. The Resort itself is in prime position on the lagoon, ensuring great views and a multitude of fish under your over the water villa. The Villas are superb, with a spacious bedroom, huge bathroom and separate lounge, as well as a private sun deck and a ladder into e lagoon so you can swim directly off the deck. They are serviced twice daily by professional, friendly staff.

Perhaps the best touch is the Butler who is assigned to you. Ours was Marania, who couldn't have been more helpful. Everything we needed was at her fingertips and delivered with a smile. She seemed to have a sixth sense, turning up just when we were thinking of calling! If there is a better hotel staff member anywhere we would love to meet that person!

The rest of the staff throughout the resort, from concierge who arranged our great day trips (swimming with sharks, rays and in a coral garden; jet skiing) from a large menu of activities (and there's plenty of free stuff also, from snorkelling in the private lagoonarium to kayaking); to the ever attentive restaurant staff in the the four restaurants; were just amazing. The right balance of service and friendliness, all with a certain Tahitian charm.

We found the food to be excellent, especially considering the remote location of Bora Bora and the disappointing food that is often served in the Pacific. Don't miss the huge breakfast buffet, although you can have room service breakfast in your villa or even in oer locations throughout the resort (just ask).

This is a definitely a couples resort, with lots of honeymooners evident. Bt the resort is so huge (42 acres) that you can be virtually on your own all ay and night long. Take advantage of the golf cart pick up service or take a casual walk through the immaculate gardens. The resort has a private beach also.

We didn't go into the main island but those who did were not impressed.

In summary, this ranks as the best resort we have visited (and we have travelled most of the world). The mix of luxury, great staff who want to make your holiday special, and the magical location cannot be beaten.

Note: I am partially confined to a wheelchair, but the staff took this in their stride. Not once was I unable to attend something or get somewhere, including on off resort trips.

Rancho cucamonga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We went to the st regis the first week in September I'm not rich by any means so I did not know if I could afford this vacation but after reading so many positive reviews about pacific for less and Claudia I call her and from that moment on it was like a dream. I have 3 kids 7, 9 and 11 we have never taken a family trip before and we decided it was time. We chose the st regis because we like what it had to offer. The staff at the st regis are like a wonderful family they have my kids free icecream, they knew us by name and when we needed anything they got it before we could ask. Claudia set us up with a complimentary shark and ray feeding that words can't express how wonderful it was and the bungalow wow it's hug, the tub and showers are amazing and the bed my wife was trying to figure out how to sneak it on the plane. The breakfast buffet was amazing we did not care to much for the lagoon restaurant but we loved bloody Mary's the setting and the food was amazing. Room service at the st regis is wonderful the set your food up in your room like your a king and the swim up bar was a blast. From the day I called Claudia till the day we returned nothing was left to do every detail was handled by her I can't stress enough call pacific for less the are start your trip off perfect and st regis does the rest. Oh and we were in bungalow 103 near the bridge and the lagoon resteraunt it was perfect short walks everywhere.
We did the shark and ray feeding amazing, parasailing good, helmet dive amazing, love boat just ok, shopping fun, paddle board fun, swimming with turtle good, and the Polynesian dance dinner fun. I guess I could write a book on our trip it was heaven and a trip we will never forget call pacific for less ask for Claudia and you won't regret it even people at the four season on our tours said they wish they had stayed at the four season stay at the st regis. Thank you at regis your resort is one of a kind and your staff treated us like family

• Stayed September 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was the final resort as part of our honeymoon vacation (We also stayed at Moorea Hilton and Le Tahaa Island Resort & Spa), 5 days (half of the 10 days total). We booked as part of a package through Samantha @ Tahiti Travel Planners (http://www.gotahiti.com/), she was amazing to work with and the overall trip ended up being cheaper than if we were to book on our own. Transfers were seamless and right on time.
The resort is amazing and the staff is phenomenal. The experience starts out by being greeted at the airport and directed to the boat which brings you to the St Regis dock. Upon arrival, you are greeted by your personal butler who gives and complete tour of the resort by foot and golf car. We stayed in room 210 which faces the north end of the island. Enjoyed sunsets and wine every night. Jean George's Lagoon Restaurant was amazing, next time I'll book reservations in advance so we can watch the sunset on the deck. Service is top notch as well, we've never stayed someplace like this where I felt like we were truly like we were VIP's. We're already planning a return trip sometime in the future (hopefully sooner than later).

Room Tip: All rooms are great, the rooms that look at the main island would be best (premier overwater bungalo...
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Well buckle in, because there is a lot to say about this resort. In a word…INCOMPARABLE!!!! I apologize beforehand for this lengthy review, but it has to be. Please take the time to read because this place deserves it!!! I have been very fortunate to stay at some very top tier hotels and resorts ( I am a self proclaimed Madarin O addict) and I have never seen such a stunning location or unparalleled service in my life…We really, really, really hated to leave and I was a bit worried before our arrival that it might be a bit too laid back and we would run out of ways to just…relax. But they spoil you so bad from the time you arrive that that is really next to impossible. This is one of those resorts where they are almost too helpful, like when I asked for just a little saran wrap to take some cheese and a croissant with us on a boat ride and instead they returned with a double paper plate homemade Bento box like thing…wow.. it’ s just cheese… But not to them!
Arrival 25 Sept 2013
So when you arrive at the airport they greeted us by name (I have no idea how they knew as there were other guests before and after us) and then swept us off to our own large boat to take us over to the resort, without us even needing to identify our luggage…It made it ! We were greeted at the dock by cool towels and our butler Konstatin Wagner, and much more on him later. Because of the time of the flight, we arrived at 8:30 or so in the morning so we didn’t expect our room to be ready, having read on TA about this beforehand, so we had packed our swimsuits in our carry-on and just changed into them and hit the beach until the room was ready. They did park us at the lounge with a pool table, snacks and coffee maker (which you need to repress the button after you brew your cup or it will keep going, to my witnessed cup juggling until I figured that one out!) but we made our way to the beach anyways but did return another day for a game of pool!
Grounds
You swear the beaches are painted because they are so blue. The hotel is just beautiful and immaculate. It is a big resort so we did borrow bikes from the rack but did not feel that it was so big that we needed to hide them as our own. They collect them from the rooms each night and we let them. It’s really just a 10 min. walk but call and they will come pick you up in the golf cart, which you can even pre-arrange, if you’re that type! The main bar is so cool and open and for you cigar smokers, go ahead and torch it up…very relaxing place to do so and well ventilated. It is open smoking anywhere. But as far as cigars, I brought my own and good thing…While nothing is cheap at the resort, $80 for a cigar is painful. Bring your own and you’ll really enjoy. And the resort never felt crowded at all while we were there because it is so spread out. And right across the lagoon is Mount Otemanu which makes it even more “Disney-esque”. We went to the feeding at the langoonarium and actually got in the water with our masks, fins and snorkels and watched the feeding from the water.
Food and Beverage
It’s French and it’s expensive, but don’t expect French Laundry..It is very good, and again, the setting is incredible. The breakfast buffet is excellent and they have everything. One day they even had a Bloody Mary table set up. Then there is an egg menu as well…Eggs Benedict are killers, as are the little banana muffins..We ate three dinners on property and two of them off (St. James and Villa Mahana reviewed separately). We ate at SushiTaki (very good..$213 for two of us) the new Italian restaurant just opened (very heavy and a bit salty, even for me cause I love the stuff…$136 for two) and then The Lagoon . This is a must, but not so much for the food, which is good, but for the setting and experience. We went to the 6:00 sitting and Thanh Mi , the adorable hostess (more on her later) put us on the terrace smack dab in the middle and the view was just unreal. Sharks swim under the restaurant and can be seen through the floor. I had the Parrotfish which was just a bit tough but the tuna tartar appetizer is fabulous. We stayed after and sat at the bar and had Manhattans and a cigar and joked with a young newlywed couple trying different types of single malt scotch. Very fun. Dinner for two, $325…Drinks are like LA or New York where a $20 martini is not hard to find and we did grab a little Woodford Reserve Bourbon and some vodka at LAX duty free and then bought vermouth from the bar at the resort, which was very reasonable, $50 total for 2 large bottles (dry and sweet.). But we ended up not even drinking our own stash all gone (6 days and nights), although carrying your small flask of vodka down to breakfast when they don’t have the Bloody Mary table set up is a welcome addition to your mango juice! No tie for dinner but I did wear a jacket to Villa Mahana and to Lagoon, but I have a tendency to over pack and overdress!…Linen shirt and slacks are plenty…
Room
We were very lucky and we were upgraded to the Royal Overwater Two Bedroom Pool Villa (#122) and at over 2800 sq. ft., it was STUNNING!!!! I used one closet in one bedroom (she used the other) and the spare bathroom as my bar, and there was a large common room and then a huge deck with our own fresh water pool (not heated but who cares) and lounge chairs and tables for morning coffee. And the view of the mountain right out your door and turquoise water you could ski on!!!!!!!!!!! It truly is the best over water villa on property, although there are bigger rooms but those have a beach entrance , not over water. Yes, we did walk out in the morning and fall into the water off our deck and no, we did not pause to grab our suits….Outside shower to rinse off as well…No bugs, no mosquitoes…not one….
Activities
We did the around the island jet ski tour and if you own your own jet skis, you may be a bit bored but the scenery is great so it is a really fun activity to do. They stop on a little sand bar and give you fresh fruit and cocoanut.. We did the Hobie Cat for 90 minutes and Olivier was very entertaining but you may want to skip if you did the jet ski, so I would do one or the other…I did a two tank dive with the Bora Dive shop ($170 just me) and they were funny and wild Frenchmen and the dive was a first for me with 10 foot Lemon sharks and a group of huge Manta Rays passing right over my head…never had that before. We snorkeled in the lagoonerium during the feeding and that was kind of fun. We paddle boarded (first for us)…and that was about it….
When you order your drink, and then go out paddle boarding on a whim (as you can when you want at this resort) and the tanned beach staff comes out on their paddle board to tell you that your drinks have been delivered to your little spot in the sand on the beach…and then turns around and paddles back..how could you ever leave!!! It is that good…and more. Everyone is friendly and greets you ALL THE TIME and many times, by name. They speak Polynesian and French and very acceptable English but as in France, we dabbled with our French just cause we like to. One thing to remember is that there is just a little bit of “Polynesian time” here meaning when you order a drink, don’t expect your order slapped down with Carnegie-deli like speed… Relaaaax…look around….it’ll come… All of the staff are great but there are some standouts, at least to us and I’m sure other guests had theirs.
Adelie was the concierge and she arranged all activites and timed them all. If there is any time change, she has them come find you on the beach! Thanh Mi Iling was the adorable hostess in the morning and at the lagoon restaurant as well and she could not have been cuter. She remembered out names and had this fun running competition going with our Butler, Konstantin, for who provided better service…She was so helpful and we knew we could count on her to find us a great spot when we decided to drag ourselves down to breakfast….I hope she stays…
And then Konstantin…As the boat pulls away to leave and he’s standing on the dock waving, you really feel it! I know that sounds corny but you do. When we arrived at our next stop (the Morea Intercontinental reviewed dispassionately elsewhere) we wanted to call him up …”So Konstantin…ummm..whatcha doin?” This guy was unbelievable!!! He would magically show up at different places on property and see if you needed anything. We were sorry we never were able to sit at the bar IN the pool while we were there and the bar was not open yet when we had to leave and he told us to just tell him what we wanted and he would get the drinks there. He offered to unpack and pack our luggage and came by and checked our doors of the villa to make sure they were locked when we went off island..But the BEST of the BEST is that I asked my girlfriend to marry me on this trip and he and the staff helped arrange the whole thing. I had planned on renting a boat and Adelie helped with that and picked out an island that was going to be empty…Tapu.. and then they arranged a boat rental to get there ( a very slow going pontoon…I am a boater so you can imagine when kayakers were passing us how I felt about that!!). But I told Konstantin I wanted to have the ring in a shell that we could open on this beach, so in his spare time he found one and left it in my closet with a note on when and how to get it to him the next day, which I did, just before we left for the boat. During breakfast he took it all and glued the shell shut with the ring inside in a small red pouch (I wasn’t gutsy enough to put it alone in the shell because I felt I could find a red pouch in the sand, but not an engagement ring!!!), and hid it in my gear bag. As we left he told me where it was and when we got to Tapu, uninhabited as promised, I smuggled it into my swimsuit and went for a snorkel and then after a few dives, announced to my bride-to-be that I had found a shell and as a dare, we should eat whatever was inside…and with the small knife from the in-room wine opener, and with just the right amount of glue, it popped open and…the rest…as they say…But from then on, the whole resort knew our story and asked all about it…Konstantin did all of this and just the way I had envisioned it, even better. Since I couldn’t do it myself, he took care of all of the details and caught my fiancée completely by surprise..It also helped that I waited a few days!!! He certainly deserves honorable mention but everyone is great at this resort.
It’s expensive, no doubt but for a once in a lifetime treat…save up and come here…We really miss it already and I am the type that likes to go to different places even after I find one I love…I just like variety…but here!!!! I have to come back…
And ok…If I have to come up with one negative….the pool cues need new tips…
Some people, I guess, are just never happy….Biz

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the St Regis for our honeymoon in late May. Admittedly, it was the shoulder season (between rainy season and dry season), but we wanted to go on a honeymoon right after our wedding - so we took a chance with the weather and everything turned out well (five sunny days out of six). We requested specific bungalow ahead of time was able to get it. Needless to say, we were extremely happy that the St Regis reps were so accommodating (this was not the case with the Four Seasons next door).

To summarize - it was the perfect honeymoon experience that we could have ever hoped for. So let's start with the good stuff:

1) The Resort: Gigantic and beautifully kept. We spent one full day exploring the entire place. The whole time we felt like we were characters in a fairly tale. The facilities are nice and the resort was laid out in such way that we never felt the place was crowded (even though we were told it was fully booked).

2) The Bungalow: Massive. Even though the Premier Over Water is a mid-end room at the St Regis, we felt like we were living in an actual house floating on water. We can't imagine what the Royal Estate must have been like (actually, we could - we did a tour of the Royal Estate and it was simply mind boggling). The view of Mount Otemanu in the morning was to die for.

3) The service: Excellent. Half of the staffs (at least, it seemed that way!) knew us by name even though we came from Thailand and our names was very difficult to pronounce and remember. Our butler Thierry looked after us the entire time - from the moment we stepped off from the boat to the moment we left, and the efforts he put in to make sure we had the perfect honeymoon experience was extremely commendable.

4) The wedding service: Our wedding planner Natacha helped arranged the perfect wedding on the beach for us. The general manager of the hotel acted as our priest and we exchanged our vows on one of the private beaches. We had an awesome photographer Helene who knew exactly how to capture the mood with her camera, and we were both extremely pleased with the results. We didn't hire a video camera person, so Natacha helped film the event for us with our camcorder. To top it off, it was a beautiful morning when the ceremony took place. Everything was so perfect that we continue to talk fondly about our St Regis wedding to this day.

5) Other little things: The hotel staffs kept giving us so much champagne we didn't know what to do with all these barely touched champagne bottles sitting in the refrigerator after a few days! We also come back at night to find rose petals neatly arranged on our bed in various patterns. There were little gifts here and there and at one point we were given a couple of black pearls! We did the private dinner cruise and while it was on the expensive side, the whole experience was worth it (Alex, the multi-talented boat captain, who can sing, play the ukele, drive the boat and cook at the same time throughly entertained us). The one time where I cut my feet (from foolishly jumping onto a coral) the beach staffs tended to my wound. Also, there was an instance at the Lagoon restaurant where one of the guests dropped her SD card from her camera (containing all her vacation photos) and it fell into the water. I could swear that half of the staffs at the restaurant was up and about trying to find the card for her (they even had a diver going into the water looking for it). They did find it eventually and everyone there was really impressed. So top notch service all around. The Miri spa is also worth going to. The gymn and the tennis court was okay.

But I wanted this to be a balanced review, so here are the things that were a bit of a let down in my view:

1) No airport greeters: This wasn't actually that bad since we were somewhat 'prepared' for this event (one of the Tripadvisor reviewer who stayed there before us complained that the hotel staffs don't show up to greet you at the airport when he/she arrived). Needless to say, the exact same thing happened to us - but it was no big deal as it turned out that the St Regis boat just happened to be there to pick up their own staffs at the airport (so we rode back with them). To be fair though, we emailed the hotel about a change in our flight schedule (we changed our arrival time from 11am to 8am) one day prior so they may have missed that email. Nonetheless, our butler Thierry greeted us when we arrived (I guess the boat captain must have radioed back to the St Regis about us coming while we were heading there). He apologized for what happened and gave us a free breakfast while we were waiting to check in. So all’s well that ends well.

2) Aging problems; You can 'feel' that the bungalow has been around for a while. The hardwood floors had scratch marks in certain spots and the glass window on the floor in the living room had cracks. The Jacuzzi on the front deck is not heated and in my opinion - a bit too small. I would say that some of these bungalows are probably due for overhaul and I hope the St Regis gets around to doing it because it is such shame given that their location is so awesome.

3) Exchange rates: We opted to pay for our stay in cash (yep, we were carrying a lot of bills) and I had the option of exchanging my Euro's for XPF in Tahiti prior to coming to Bora Bora. However, I didn't feel like going to a bank in Papetee to do this, so I emailed the hotel and asked what the hotel exchange rates were. I was told that it's the same as the advertised official rate. So I figured there's no point in changing the money. To my surprise, when I checked out of the St Regis the rate I was quoted was a good 7-8% more expensive than the official rate. I probably could have started complaining and showed them a print out of the email that said otherwise, but I figured you know what - it's only money and since everything was so perfect up to that point, there's no need to spoil the mood. Still, I wish the rep I had talked to had given me the correct information so I could have made the right decision on my payment options.

The undecided:

1) Food: I know a lot of the 'higher end' reviewers complained quite a lot about food at the St Regis. Admittedly, food for the most part didn't wow us, though they were decent to very good for the most part.. The least impressive is probably breakfast, which was admittedly a bit bland (they rarely change the line up and the pancake was disappointing) but the Lagoon restaurant was very good in our opinion. Even guests staying at other hotels were trying to get a reservation at this restaurant. We went to eat outside the hotel quite often (Villa Mahana, Bloody Mary) and comparatively speaking we felt that the St Regis didn't do so badly on a relative term!

All in all though, if I had to do it again, I would make the exact same decision and book with the St Regis. Can’t imagine spending our honeymoon anywhere else. May be one day we’ll come back and try to stay at the Royal Estate!

Room Tip: Use Google Earth to determine the direction that the bungalow faces so you can get the best view of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have had a truly magical time in St Regis Resort Bora Bora. Everything was organised so well - from our arrival in Papeete to our last day in Tahiti. All transfers were smooth, they knew who we were, and welcomed us with huge smiles and flower leis.

To book this trip we used Pacific for Less (www.pacific-for-less.com) and they were so good at their jobs. So professional and helpful. From helping us organise our wedding and stay, to fixing an issue we had with a delayed flight, reducing our stress and just making everything work. So wonderful. Thanks Jennifer & Claudia :-)

St Regis in Bora Bora is the best location on the island :) We chose the Delux Overwater bungalow with Mt Otemanu view (Bungalow 221). The Bungalow is a small kingdom with spacious bedroom which has Mt Otemanu views directly from its deck. We loved watching the fish through the glass floor and the occasional stingray swim by.

Our wedding was perfect. Natacha at the St Regis Bridal Boutique helped me organise every detail and went an extra mile. The weather held out for us, the setting was very romantic, and the dinner at Jean George's Lagoon Restaurant was divine. No wonder its rated one of the top sunset restaurants in the world :-) The photographer was also first class. Helene Havard (heleneh.viewbook.com) helped us get the best results as you can see by the photos attached. Thanks Helene.

The staff at St Regis were amazing. We had so many good people looking after us. From butlers, waiters, managers and the pool boys they all did a great job. The service is incredible here. Special thanks to Vincent, Thierry & Thanh Mi.

We ventured out on a tour, swimming with reef sharks and stingrays organised by Pacific for Less. If you are in Bora Bora do this, it's crazy good! A real buzz. Even swam with four Mantra Rays :-)

St Regis Bora Bora, is five star and worth every penny. We will definitely be going back, hopefully as often as possible, looking forward to my anniversary LOL :-)

Silvia and Greg

Room Tip: Gorgeous view of Mt Otemanu is from Delux Overwater bungalow 221
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort? Share your experiences!