“Very nice but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Montreal
“Very nice but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a long overdue review of the St Regis Bora Bora which we visited last April. I decided to wait a couple of months to write it to give a fresh perspective. Okay, first off Bora Bora is simply sublime. It truly is one of the (if not the) most spectacular places in the world and you will not regret the long plane ride and cost of getting there. It is worth it.

Okay, on to the St. Regis. The resort and the rooms are incredible! If you have seen Couple's Retreat you will know exactly what to expect.

What we loved:

1) The personalized greeting and boat-ride was spectacular and gave us a great first impression of Bora Bora and the resort.

2) The rooms were fantastic, except for the few little glitches (see below). Even the view from the shower was to die for. And the surround sound was great since we had brought our ipods.

3) The free water activities. I tried stand-up paddle boarding for the first time and LOVED IT. They also have kayaks, and paddle boats for use and the beach boys are very attentive.

4) And most importantly, the views and the water, the rooms. That's what you come here for and it was definitely the highlight of our stay. I spent hours just looking out from our OWB and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

But we had some hiccups that were quite concerning:

1) Butler service: it was practically nonexistent. Upon arriving, we were driven around the resort
by what we thought was our butler, but we never saw this person again. Furthermore, every time we called the butler number (which was not very often but we did request adaptors and a new phone since the one in the living room was not working we got the concierge or front desk. Moreover, the wait was unacceptable for this level of supposed personalized service.

2) We also had some issues with the hot water in the room. We had to leave the water going for about 15 minutes to get hot water, which is quite a long time, not to mention a waste of water, especially in this area.

3) Bikes were in bad shape and there were not enough for everyone.

4) The internet connection was abysmal. We decided to get it for one day, but the connection was so slow that we cancelled it. Fortunately, the hotel did not charge us for it.

Overall, we had a great time at the St.Regis and it still ranks as one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at. But the lack of butler service and the few other glitches did make us question whether this was worth the astronomical price tag.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The St. Regis in Bora Bora is hands down the most beautiful and luxurious resort we have ever stayed at. We booked through Pacific for Less, which is very highly recommend. We would not have been able to plan a honeymoon like this ourselves. Jennifer and the rest of the crew at Pacific for Less came up with the most amazing honeymoon package for us that also included a wonderful stay at the Hilton in Moorea. You would honestly be foolish not to book your vacation to the islands of Tahiti through Pacific for Less. Everyone at the St. Regis went out of their way to make us feel so special and this was truly an unforgettable honeymoon. We still cannot believe how beautiful our surroundings were. We hope to be back soon one day!

Room Tip: Room 228 had the best views of Mount Otemanu
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Starwood wont give me the points for my 8 day stay in their premier overwater bungalow (bc I booked thru a travel agent t the same price), but it is paradise. Service was crazy slow, but I've been forced to wait in worse places. No nightlife at resort, but it is the most beautiful place in the world in my opinion. You'll never see bluer and clearer water anywhere and the rooms are amazing.

Room Tip: Book thru their website if you want the points. I booked thru travel agent and Starwood refuses to...
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

St Regis Bora Bora was what we expected to be. Me and my partner spent 5 days for our 10th Anniversary and we loved our stay there! From the Stunning views, the facilities, the room service to the Villas, our stay there was simply unbelievable. Every Staff member were very friendly and we did feel spoiled and treated very well! Can't wait to go back and dream again!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent six amazing days at the St. Regis Bora Bora for our honeymoon. From the very moment we arrived at the Bora Bora airport until we left SRBB, we had one of the most wonderful experiences of our lives. I will briefly cover different aspects of our experience:

Service:
I want to extend the sincerest thanks to the SRBB staff, especially our amazing butler, Rani for providing us with the most attentive service and always with a smile. There is no task too big or small; all you had to do is ask and the staff will get it done promptly. This is the #1 reason that we will return to SRBB for our anniversary down the road.

Food:
All three restaurants were great. We had daily breakfast at Te Pahu included as part of our package. The breakfast offered a good variety of food. For our duration, it was perfect. However, if your stay is longer, it could become a little monotonous. Sushi Take was great. The sushi rolls were of good portion. Fish is fresh and of high quality. Lagoon Restaurant - as mentioned by others, you must book the table on the deck (6 pm reservation). The view is mesmerizing. Food and wines definitely live up to the hype. Service at all three restaurants was impeccable. You will see some of the same staff members at different restaurants on different shifts. They make a point to remember your name and greet you warmly each time.

Bungalow
Our bungalow was huge and very clean. The staff cleans the room twice a day, including a nightly turn down service. We were welcomed with a bottle of champagne and treats (lemon tarts & fruit jellies). The deck was very sizable. We loved jumping into the ocean from the plunge deck everyday. There were no fish swimming around our bungalow, although we did have frequent sightings of stingrays. I can't emphasize enough how amazing these bungalows are; you have to see them for yourself.

SRBB Property
The property is vast, lush, and beautiful. You can get around by using the complimentary beach cruiser bikes, or call your butler to schedule a golf cart pickup. Walking is also an option if you just want to wander around and enjoy the scenery. The lagoonarium and the oasis pool are great spots to hangout. There are complimentary non-motorized beach equipment (kayaks, paddle boards, sailboat) you can use. The beach boys are always happy to assist you with the equipment and will even teach you how to sail. You can also borrow snorkels and fins for your excursions. You have access to free Internet at the business center, which is fantastic if you don't want to pay $30/day for in-room Wi-Fi.

Bora Bora is truly one of the most beautiful places on Earth. It is a must for honeymooners. St. Regis Bora Bora is where you'd want to stay. The property, the food, and the service are second to none. Thanks again SRBB for leaving us with the fondest memories!!

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just got back from our week long stay at the St. Regis. We LOVED it! We booked with Jennifer from Pacific for Less and I'd highly recommend that if you are considering a trip to French Polynesia you do the same. We got a good price and tons of extras (champagne welcome, free breakfast, free couples massage, free dinner on the beach) and everything went perfectly. I could not have been happier with the resort. Our room was beautiful (we stayed in one of the Premier OWB with a jacuzzi - Room 103) and we had a perfect view of the mountain. The staff really were very friendly and went out of their way to do anything they could to make us happy. We caught some fish (Wahoo and Mahi) when we went deep sea fishing and the hotel cooked it for us two nights in a row. It was amazing! We ate at Lagoon and TePahu and thought the food at both was fabulous! I read several reviews that were critical of food quality and price and I can assure you, my husband and I are really picky about food and we thought everything was really great! Of course it does cost more than in the US but you need to know this in advance and prepare accordingly. Jennifer from Pacific for Less told me that meals cost approx. what a really nice meal would cost in the US and this is the case. We usually spent $200 or so for dinner but I had no complaints. We did enjoy the included breakfast buffet every morning (so, so good) and filled-up to the point that we didn't ever need to eat lunch - so $200 a day seemed great to me. We always had soup, main course and split a dessert with a couple of drinks each. OMG the drink called Le Hina (I think) the one made in a coconut was delish! I probably spent a small fortune on coconut drinks and I would do it again...they were so good! We did bring 4 bottles of wine with us (I used a protective bottlekeeper from WineEnthusiast and it worked great) and that saved us a bit. We enjoyed the spa services - we had a couples massage that was so good I booked another one and had a sunburn relief wrap. Caution, the sun is really strong despite multiple applications of sunscreen, I still got burned. We enjoyed snorkeling in the Lagoonarium and swam off our dock every day. We also enjoyed meeting the biologist at the shark feeding at the Lagoon restaurant - that was fun and she gave us a lot of info about the local marine life. The color of the water is the most beautiful that I've ever seen. It is so clear that I felt really safe swimming all the time. We actually never used the pool. It was just so nice swimming in the oceanWe also watched for sea life off our deck at night. If you stay in the 100's watch for a family of spotted eagle rays - we saw them several times. I have also seen several reviews that mention bugs in the room. I think you have to remember that this is the tropics and if you leave food out you will probably attract something. I saw four sugar ants while we were there for a week - no big deal. I loved our room (103) it was close to the main hotel and the Lagoon restaurant but after staying there and biking to all areas of the resort, I really don't think you could get a bad room. Even if you don't get a mountain view, I don't think it would matter at all. I wouldn't stress about that. I truly think any room they have at the St. Regis would be fantastic and you would have a great time. If you are far from the main resort/restaurants you can call for a golf cart ride or just borrow one of the bikes - we rode bikes all over the resort and it was fun. If you want to go to town or to eat at one of the restaurants they have in town, you just take one of the free boats and a bus to get there. "Town" is small but we did get some small gifts for our kids and we did eat at Villa Mahana and enjoyed that quite a bit. One of the things I enjoyed most about the St. Regis was their level of service when we decided to leave the resort. If you book an excursion, one of the concierge staff will be out front when it is time for you to go making sure everything is going perfectly. Same thing with the trip to town they we always there to make sure things went off without a hitch. I felt totally cared for. We did a few excursions that I would highly recommend. We went deep sea fishing with Luna Sea. These guys were fantastic! We caught 4 great fish and learned some things about fishing and the local islands and people in the process. This is worth every penny! We went for a full day and I'd recommend you do the same. We saw whales too! If you like fishing at all you cannot miss this. We did a 1/2 day Pure Snorkeling trip with Reef Discovery and Simon was our guide. Very nice and really informative. It was fun and we saw lots of great fish. The coral in Bora Bora is no longer nice but the fish are still great. We also did the trip with Maohi Nui the snorkeling, stingrays, swim with sharks and see the manta rays along with a private champagne lunch with lobster/fish/chicken/fruit on the sand in a few inches of water on a private moto. Loved it and also worth every penny. This was also a highlight of the trip. Overall my husband and I felt like it was the trip of a lifetime and I would go back to the St. Regis in a minute. It was beyond perfect. If you are even considering a trip to Bora Bora you have to stay here - you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Any room you get will be wonderful. We loved ours #103 the view of the mountain cannot be beaten.
Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned from spending 5 nights in Moorea and 8 nights at the St Regis on Bora Bora. What an amazing trip! From the time we stepped off the airplane in Bora Bora we were treated wonderfully. The St Regis staff were always friendly and helpful, not sure how but they all new our names! The over the water bungalows were spacious and clean. The pool and beach were never crowded and the water temperature perfect! We booked our trip through Richard at Custom Tahiti and he was a huge help. He set up everything for us, our excursions, dinners and even our spa treatments, he answered all of our many questions and made our vacation unforgettable.

Room Tip: At the St Regis the rooms that are 100 to 109 are closest to the pool, beach and restuarants. The fa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort? Share your experiences!