“Wonderful Experience for 15th wedding anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Motu Ome'e, 98730 , French Polynesia   |
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Searcy
“Wonderful Experience for 15th wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We usually stay at SPG properties when we travel due to the great point values provided by the SPG Amex card. However, due to the high point usage for staying at the St. Regis in Bor Bora, we opted explore our options paying for the resort directly. Not knowing the area, we took the advice of other Trip Advisor members and contacted Claudia at Pacific for Less and let her do the negotiating and planning for us. I had ONE conversation with Claudia directly telling her what the occasion for travel was and what experience we were looking for. Ironically, she immediately recommended the St. Regis on Bora Bora. After agreeing to the location, I left her to do the rest of the work. A few days later I received an itinerary of travel with recommended tours, dining, vow renewal coordinators, photographer, etc. many activities I might add were negotiated for free as bonuses in our travel package with the St. Regis. We had to rearrange the dates of travel and some of the events and literally had to do nothing further. Claudia from Pacific for Less and Karine from the St. Regis handled everything else. When you get a professional from the start, you don't have to sweat the details nor borrow from the experience in advance by feeling the need to personally plan every little detail.

We arrived and everything was more than we could have hoped for. We were initially booked for the Superior Overwater Villas for 8 nights, but were upgraded for two complimentary nights in a Royal Oceanfront Villa with ultra privacy with the remainder in the overwater bungalows. Our butler Constantine, had the room ready complete with champagne..the bedroom was surprisingly sprinkled with rose petals to celebrate our anniversary trip.

While Karine, our St. Regis Coordinator was out of town, her assistant Marine was just delightful in handling all the details of our vow renewal. We were thoroughly pleased with all her recommendations for location and for the photographer Helene Harvard who has captured some of the most unique pictures we have seen on Bora Bora.

The food quality at the resort in my opinion was mixed. Not being much of a sushi connaisseur, I found quite a lot of their dishes in the theme restaurants to serve dishes in this format. I am aware that their sushi restaurant would obviously serve this, but our candlelight dinner selections as well as our lagoon restaurant seafood selections were served as raw or nearly raw. If love sushi, you will love this, otherwise, know exactly what you are ordering as I am sure they must have had other options. Breakfast on the other hand was always great with all the options one could ask for as well as a beautiful view of the sand and bay. The Polynesian show which is showcased each Wednesday for us was a disappointment as we booked a table 30 minutes before the show was to start. When we arrived at the buffet, there was hardly anything left of the main dishes and guess what was left? Sushi !:)) The main show was entertaining, but given the choice, I would have skipped the whole event and chose another couples massage since the price was about the same. The St. Regis was very accommodative for recommending other restaurants on the main island and went so far as to handle booking the restaurants as well as providing free transportation to and from the locations. We used this option several times and were not disappointed in any of our restaurant selections which included Villa Mahana (make reservations before you leave home due to overwhelming popularity of the location and unbelievable food), Makai, and Bloody Mary's (very cool restaurant with great ambiance)

We really enjoyed the layout of the resort which gave feeling of having the resort as well as the free amenities of the lagoonarium, paddleboarding, hobiecat sailing, snorkeling, etc all to yourself. While the resort did not seem crowed, there was never a shortage of staff to do what you needed.

Internet service was free in the business center which had computers equipped with webcams for dialing home. Due to the fast wireless Internet, we chose to use the $10 for 2 hr option a couple times during the week which was more than adequate for our communication needs.

We arrived and left the resort to the sight of staff waving to us on the dock. We will not forget our experiences and are very pleased that we chose the St. Regis!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Twissy2, Director of Sales and Marketing at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Bora Bora. Thank you for your wonderful comments about the resort and our team of ladies and gentlemen. We are very glad that we have Karine and Marine on our wedding team as their attention to detail and care are amazing.

We hope you come back and see us again in the not so distant future!

1,021 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Without being too repetitive, my wife and I spent 5 nights at the St. Regis Bora Bora in August '12 and it was a fantastic trip. From the boat service picking you up from the airport to the delicious meals at each of the onsite restaurants, we were in heaven. As part of our Pacific for Less package, there were many extras thrown in and that team definitely goes above and beyond to make sure all the details are taken care of. We loved laying on the beach each day using the standup paddleboards and hobie cat while getting complimentary cold waters and smoothies from the beach staff. The lunches were very large, and though expensive - the view from the pool bar is absolutely amazing. The bungalows (ours faced the mountain) are incredibly spacious and very high end. Sitting out on the deck and jumping into the deep water from the railings was great fun. They even have Bose home theater built into every room - so don't forget your MP3 player and a cable. The turn down service included nice local cookies as well as artistic cards showing some of the island culture. The grounds are in top notch condition and the butler service brought buckets of ice or arranged golf cart rides very promptly. The lagoonarium is full of very interesting fish allowing you to snorkel in calm and safe waters. The spa and massages were very relaxing. This place is truly paradise.

Outside of the resort we visited Villa Mahana and Bloody Marys - both were fantastic and easy to get to via the nightly dinner shuttle boat. The downtown area is typical for these islands, so keep expectations relatively low as this serves the local communities on this remote island rather than the higher end needs of the tourists.

The only thing that could have been better was out of resorts direct control. We seemed to have a bit of bad luck with our specific bungalow when it came to a few sugar ants and other pests. While it wasn't a big problem, my wife had a few sleepless nights of anxiety. Other friends we met there did not have this issue, so i believe it was a limited to our room. Either way, the resort went out of thier way to correct the problem and have us free champagne, late checkout, and other perks to more than make up for the situation.

Looking forward to a return trip hopefully in the near future!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Twissy2, director of sales and marketing at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Congratulations on your newly wedded bliss!!!! Thank you for spending your honeymoon with us and for the lovely comments on our beautiful home in paradise.

We hope you come back to see us in the not so distant future, maybe 1st Year Anniversary - :) We promise there will not be any sugar ants or pests hanging around!

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I think my title says enough for this resort but as I have to meet the criteria of 200 characters I will say a bit more !

From the moment we stepped off the plane at the airport we knew we were in paradise.

The journey to the resort was absolutely stunning and all the guests we greeted by their respected butlers and taken for a tour of the resort.

Our over water villa overlooking Mt Otemanu was absolutely gorgeous !

Special mention has to be made for the service provided at the resort. My wife felt like having coconut water and the resort had run out of it. I jokingly mentioned to the server that there were many coconut trees right here in the resort and that we could get one from them. He actually climbed up the tree and got one for us. Now if that is not service I really don't know what is !
Our butler was also so nice as to accompany us around the resort and take photographs for us!

Being a vegetarian, there was enough options for me and my wife not to repeat any dishes. This I would like to mention is as an important attribute that in my opinion distinguishes good resorts/hotels from great resorts/hotels.

The only other property that matches this one is the Udaivilas in Udaipur, India.

Will definitely return in the near future !

Room Tip: any of the first 3 mt view overwater villas ( you wont have to walk much )
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Twissy2, Director of Sales and Marketing at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you....thank you....thank you.....

For coming to share our beautiful home with us and for sharing your amazing experience with us on line. We so look forward to your next visit with us which we hope is not in so distant future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can ever be of assistance.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon (10 days) at the St. Regis- Bora Bora. What an amazing time we had. The grounds, the people, the villas . . they all exceeded our expectations! It was quiet and absolutely breathtaking the whole 10 days we were there. Just what we wanted. We spent most of the time in our villa on the amazing patio reading and sunning . . . the food was wonderful, always. It was wonderful to have bikes to travel to and from our villa to the restaurants . . . and if you don't want to walk or ride your bike, a golf cart will surely stop for you and take you where you want to go! The whole service team has a smile, always. We received several "couples" massages . . to DIE for! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants privacy, quiet, peace, and tranquility. Simply gorgeous.

Room Tip: Next time we will get a "mountain view" room . . it seems the view on that side was stunni...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations to you both! We are so happy you enjoyed your honeymoon with us for 10 days of bliss! Thank you for your wonderful comments about our beautiful home and amazing team of ladies and gentlemen we have.

We hope you come back and see us in the not so distant future, maybe your 1st Year Anniversary! We would enjoy pampering you both again.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

Rye, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a Royal Overwater Villa for our honeymoon and we had the most amazing experience you could imagine!!! I had high hopes when I booked our trip to French Polynesia and after a very disappointing stay in Le Tahaa our stay at the St Regis far exceeded my widest expectations. The villa we stayed in was at the end of the walkway and looked directly across the lagoon at Bora Bora. The view was breathtaking and was something that never failed to amaze me. The villa itself could not have been any nicer as far as furnishings and finishes. The staff was ever attentive and the room was kept immaculately by house keeping.
The three restaurants at the hotel were all amazing and it would be hard to pick a favorite.
Activities ranged from laying around and admiring the beauty to jet ski rides around the island and swimming with sharks and manta rays.
I would like to give a special shout out to our butler Mana. Mana took such good care of us!!! Anything we could want Mana had already thought of and had already taken care of for us. He booked all our excursions, dinners and even rode with us to the airport. His knowledge of the island and network of associates is unbelievable and his thoughtfulness and attentiveness made an already amazing stay into the trip of a lifetime. If you go to the St Regis be sure to ask for Mana, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: The rooms with views of Bora Bora are amazing!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracey_Fentem, Director of Sales and Marketing at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your amazing comments about the resort, our wonderful ladies and gentlemen and Bora Bora! I always think of Bora Bora as a little slice of Heaven and have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming. Even though I am not based at the resort St. Regis Bora Bora is my second home.

Come back and see us again sooner than later!
sydney, australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the St Regis Resort Bora Bora in October 2012 for eight nights in two overwater deluxe villas. These were quite large with their own sitting room, deck, huge bath tub and open plan showers, entrance foyer, and wooden shutters everywhere. Either side we stayed one night at the InterContinental Hotel in Papeete.

Bora Bora and the St Regis is paradise. The experience of waking to the lapping of water, the cool breeze as it fills the Villa (there is air conditioning if and when you need it), the view of Mt Otemanu (sometimes clear and stark at other times clouded and mysterious), the breathtaking sunsets, the pristine blue-green water, the rustle of the coconut palms swaying in the breeze, the breathtakingly beautiful sunsets, and the peace and quiet of (almost) a desert island. The setting is magic and unique. To this is added a very high class property. The grounds are beautifully maintained. Our villas were immaculate and serviced to perfection twice each day. Even though the resort was full during our stay, we were amazed to see so few other folk during the days - when we did there was always a friendly greeting. But essentially this is a very private space.

Apart from the unique location and beautiful property we had a Butler who was outstanding. Emmanuel was the perfect butler. He was friendly and helpful, without being at all intrusive, had a comprehensive knowledge of the area, and showed a caring for our well being throughout our stay. On most days we had contact with him and if we didn't manage to meet during a day he would suddenly appear at the restaurant where we were eating. He made us feel very welcome and relaxed and we soon developed a repartee which made for enjoyable and informative dialogue.The role of a butler can often be under-estimated and seen as superfluous. Not in this case. Emmanuel's role made our stay!

I went on two organised tours - organised by the Concierge. Again, he was very helpful in his advice. The first was a Jeep Tour which took a small group to circumnavigate the main island and to make precipitous climbs to excellent vantage points around the main island. This provided just a glimpse into a life for many of the locals which was in stark contrast to the luxuries across the lagoon. The other tour was the Bora Bora Lagoon Cruise. This was a five hour boat trip circumnavigating the main island but with stops for snorkelling, feeding the rays, and swimming with the sharks. The latter was the absolute highlight for me as I had to overcome a major fear of sharks to even get in the water. But when the guide took me down to touch a shark that was just a very special and magic moment for me. I cannot recommend this tour highly enough, and lucky for me, Robert was the perfect guide for this kind of adventure.

The resort is quite spread out but quite easy to move around on foot. For those who are not able to get quite into the relaxed mode or who want a quicker form of movement from one part of the resort to another all you need do is ring for a buggy, and presto, there is your transport at your villa door. But for me, another highlight was riding around the resort on a bicycle. I had not ridden for 20 years or more, and I found this a real pleasure. Riding along next to beautifully maintained gardens and overarching palm trees was invigorating and relaxing.

While the whole experience was unique and magic there were some things which needed to be taken into account on the debit side. First, French Polynesia, and in particular Bora Bora, is VERY expensive. One report I read said the prices range from "expensive to outrageous" and I would have to agree. I can only surmise that the cost of maintaining such a resort is very high - everything has to be imported to Tahiti and then shipped to each of the many islands. It's absolutely unique and in high demand, and it would appear that lots of folk are prepared to pay top dollars. For value, you do not get the same standard or quality for your dollar as you would in some other parts of the world such as Europe. This is especially the case with the food. While it is generally good it is not outstanding, and certainly very expensive for what you get. The menus at St Regis were fairly static so after a while I started to crave variety. Luckily I enjoy fish! The other thing to keep in mind that while our villas were kept in immaculate condition, there were little signs here and there that some refurbishment was required. I understand this is gradually taking place.

One thing is for sure, I will not forget this place because of its uniqueness. The visual landscape, the water, the overall quality of the property, the sunsets, the palm trees, the bike riding, swimming with the sharks, and our Butler. And I could not finish without acknowledging how friendly and helpful all staff were - nothing was too much trouble. In short - it is paradise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments! We agree that Bora Bora is definitely "Paradise Found"....
Every time I go to the resort to see the team and work I am total awe of the beauty that is everywhere. I always think of it as my own fairytale.

We look forward to seeing you both back in the not so distant future!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We've traveled throughout Tahiti islands and this was the highlight of our trip. The Resort is beautiful, over the water bungalow are spacious and well equipped, good privacy from the terrace. Service is impeccable. Restaurant is fine cuisine but not pretentious. Overall a wonderful experience, would highly recommend and would go back in a heart beat ;-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your beautiful comments! We love hearing about our wonderful team of ladies and gentlemen and feel that they are very special too.

We hope to get the opportunity to share our beautiful home with you again in the future!

Been to The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort? Share your experiences!