So this is a five star review because it's Bora Bora for goodness sake. If you're complaining about turquoise lagoons, warm pools, coral reefs and blue skies it is time to go to therapy.
The hotel itself was very good; not perfect, but very good. The rooms are large and the eco-friendly air conditioning is extraordinary, the food is delicious (if very expensive) and the facilities generally are excellent. We didn't use the spa but had good reports from other guests. We were there with our 10 and 11 year old who both loved it.
If you're looking at things to think about I would suggest:
1. It is about a 15-20 minute boat ride from the main island so if sight-seeing is your things but we went across to the island a couple of times; it just takes time but the trip to La Villa Mahana was totally worth it
2. Individually the service was exceptional across the resort but the restaurant service was very mixed and on several occasions orders came to the table wrong and only after a long wait. The night the main restaurant was closed for a private party was a particular shambles. No big issue, remember you are in Bora Bora, but could be frustrating for some. Breakfast service and buffet was always good
3. The coral garden is wonderful; make sure you ask where it is as there is very little for snorkellers in the lagoon itself
4. There is a tennis court (AstroTurf) which is fine but the net is fixed and low. Great for fun but not really up to anything more serious
5. Getting the breakfast room service at least once is a must; great fun
6. The snorkel gear from the resort is fine so only take your own if you are serious
Basically, it's brilliant. The hotel is wonderful; the staff could not have been more helpful individually ( thanks to Gwendoline, Sophie who drove to her house to help us, Alisa, Mario and too many others to mention). The ice machines rarely worked, but no big deal, a dip in the ocean was cooling enough.
Final tip. I have rarely seen so many burnt people. Slap on more sun protection people!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa is located between the two hearts of Motu Piti Aau, a coral island on the barrier reef. The Deep Ocean Spa is the centerpiece, but the resort offers lots of cultural and recreational activities to fill your days including canoeing, kayaking, snorkeling, stargazing and handicraft demonstrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, IHG, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora Hotel Bora Bora
- Intercontinental Thalasso Hotel Bora
- Intercontinental Thalasso Resort Bora
- Intercontinental Bora Bora