“Honeymoon in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“Honeymoon in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I am sitting in my overwater bungalow on the last day of our honeymoon in Bora Bora at the Intercontinental Thalasso and I just had to the time to write this review before returning to the craziness of the real world! My husband and I were married five months ago but delayed our honeymoon for a variety of work related reasons, so I really had the time to research resorts and pick the best one for us before our trip. We debated staying at the St. Regis or the Four Seasons, but based on our travel agent's recommendation we selected the IC Thalasso since he said it was one of the most beautiful resorts with a front-and-center view of one of the main island mountains. I am SO glad we listened to him... it is paradise and the resort is the most luxurious, insanely beautiful places I'm sure we'll ever go in our lives. Here are some things I wish I'd known before we came about the resort and the island in general that will hopefully be helpful to anyone planning a trip here soon!:

-Spring for a sapphire overwater bungalow if your budget allows... the lagoon view is amazing and the swimming area off your deck is much more private. The diamond overwater bungalow (the highest level) has a view of the mountain, but I think the sapphire (2nd highest level) is more private as you face out toward the lagoon if you want some time to yourselves for swimming, sunbathing, eating on your deck, etc.

-The overwater bungalows at the IC Thalasso are INSANE. So big... much bigger than any of the other resorts. Decor is definitely contemporary but island-y and everything is new and modern. Beds are very comfortable. All rooms have a safe and tons of closet space. Views are breathtaking and the bungalows are loaded with windows so you can see the lagoon. Glass coffee tables especially cool.

-As many other reviewers have noted, the IC Thlasso's pool has tiles missing. They are renovating slowly (pool area only). It didn't detract from our experience at all and we enjoyed the pool a lot, but something to note so you're prepared.

-While the IC La Moana is pretty, there is NO COMPARISON with the IC Thalasso. We went to the La Moana and passed through several times to go to excursions, go into town, go to dinner, etc. It's pretty but it's much less modern and the overwater bungalows look about half the size of those at IC Thalasso (literally). The pool is really nice and probably the only major perk over the Thalasso since the Thalasso is undergoing the pool renovation. If you went to Bora Bora and only saw the IC La Moana you'd probably think it was paradise because it really is nice and pretty... but then you see the IC Thalasso and realize it's so much nicer and blows the prior out of the water!!

-You need to take a shuttle boat to get anywhere off the resort. There is a schedule from early in the morning until 10pm that takes you to and from the main island, where the IC La Moana is located and where the majority of shops/restaurants/etc are. If you take the shuttle before 4pm it's free, and after 4pm it's about $40 total for two people (so I'd say approx $20 each). The shuttle is dependable time-wise, but the boat ride is about 15 minutes to the main land, so plan for that if you're meeting companies for excursions there (most excursion companies will meet you on the main island so this is something to be mindful of when setting meeting times).

-The IC Thlasso is mostly couples either on their honeymoon (like we are) or on some sort of special occasion or anniversary trip. We didn't encounter too many families or children, which we liked being that we wanted a romantic experience. Toward the end of our time here we did encounter one family with small kids at the pool but they hung out mostly at the pool and weren't an issue for us. Definitely not the type of place your'e going to battle tons of loud or crazy children, which is good if you're looking for romance and relaxation.

-In general, the resort will encourage you to put things on your room account or use a credit card. We weren't anticipating this and brought lots of cash... in retrospect we wish we hadn't because we put things on our room account and plan to settle up with a credit card anyway so it was a waste. I'd recommend not bringing cash because you'll just end up locking it in your room safe and it's a pain to travel with.

-Resort restaurants are all good... our favorite by far was Corail (open for dinner only). The lamb dish they have is delicious as is the steak. The Reef restaurant was good, and often they have special nights with theme buffets and a Polynesian show (worth doing one night... we did it on a night they had a French buffet which was really good and had a chef grilling up steak, tuna kebabs, baby lamb chops, etc).Other nights the Reef is an a la carte menu. Sands is good too, we went mainly for lunch if we missed breakfast... sandwiches are good, other food good-to-average. Overall a pleasant experience at each resort restaurant.

-Make sure you get the breakfast package included in your room rate (I think it is with most, but just in case). Though the breakfast buffet is kind of boring (same thing everyday with not too much variety) it does save on money and it's the only place nearby to have breakfast.

-Drinks and food are EXTREMELY expensive all over Bora Bora, but especially on the resorts. Plan accordingly because the cheapest mixed drink is going to be about $22 a pop (cocktails range from about $22 USD to $40 for a fancy pearl martini and wine is about $12 a glass for the cheapest up to $18). The resort has a nightly happy hour either in the Beach Lounge or Bubbles Bar (depending on the weather) and you should definitely take advantage of that because if you buy one round between 5-6pm then your second round is free.

-If you want to enjoy cocktails or wine, definitely buy hard liquor ahead of time (Duty Free at LA Airport-- Tahiti airport does not have a duty free shop FYI) and wine you can find at decent prices in stores on the main island. We went to Tiare Market (a boat shuttle ride from IC Thalasso to the IC La Moana and then a ten min walk from there) on our 1st full day here and stocked up on wine for the entire 10 day trip for about $130 USD... had cocktails in our room before dinner or during the day and even brought a bottle of wine to the pool one day instead of spending more money at the pool bar (not sure this is technically allowed but no one said anything to us!) While the experience of walking to Tiare Market kind of sucked (it was super hot that day and you're walking down a main road past houses that happen to have a variety of large dogs, though none bothered us) it was well worth it and saved us boat loads of cash on booze.

-Things close early all around Bora Bora... this is not a party atmosphere type of a place. This is a place where you go and relax... enjoy sunset cocktails and a leisurely dinner, etc. It is so insanely amazing and beautiful and there are plenty of day time activities to keep you occupied if you're adventurous (we tried to stagger our days of relaxation with our days of activities to have a good balance) but the nightlife consists of looking at the stars, sharing wine while looking at the mountain, night swimming, and sitting on our bungalow deck chatting and relaxing. If you're looking for a place in French Polynesia with more of an active night life, I'd suggest Moorea since it's more geared towards that.

-However much suntan lotion you think you need, bring double. You're water logged the whole time you're in Bora Bora from water activities, the pool, the lagoon, etc. and you need to reapply literally every hour and a half at minimum to avoid getting a nasty sunburn. We ended up having to buy more sun lotion at the IC Thalasso's gift shop where it's considerably more expensive.

-Underwater camera is a MUST.

-Make sure you make it to the daily sting ray feeding at least once while there (every day at 2pm on the beach). Awesome experience and we got some really cool photos.

-The staff at the IC Thalasso is very professional and nice... they all knew our names by day 2 (and it's a big place!) The arranged all of our transportation for us, one of our excursions, and all dinner reservations (in fact, if we didn't call the concierge to book a reservation for us ahead of time by about 4 or 5pm they'd call us and make sure we didn't need one for that night!)

-Highly recommend the canoe breakfast. We did it one morning and it was really fun. Also highly recommend one of the romantic dinners... we did the one in the private dining area of The Reef restaurant and it was soo much fun, the food was delicious, and we had a blast- one of our best nights in Bora Bora!

-Concierge is more than willing to work with you to plan any activities or excursions, but I'd recommend booking them on your own ahead of time if possible... it tends to save a lot of money and also guarantee you get the day and time you're looking for rather than waiting and doing it last minute via the hotel concierge. Can't say enough good things about Reef Discovery for snorkeling and Moana Adventures for jet skiing!

-The Deep Ocean Spa on the resort is amazing. My husband & I got deep tissue massages and though we got beat up a bit (technique is different than in the states and aggressive, but felt good for the most part!) it was worth every penny just to even use the spa facilities for the day of our treatments! They have private jacuzzis overlooking the mountain and lagoon (we spent the afternoon in one post-massage and watched the sun go down which was incredible), a deep chiller walk that's good for the legs, a lap pool, and so on.

All in all the Thalasso compares to the St, Regis and the Four Seasons, if not excels past them. The property is indescribably beautiful, the bungalows are amazing, the restaurants on par with all the others. Would come back here in a heartbeat and highly recommend for honeymooners or anyone looking for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation!

Room Tip: Overwater bungalows with a lagoon view ("sapphire suites") are more private and face outwa...

1,170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I would love to come back to Bora Bora and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I loved this place - it was paradise.

Check-in was pretty efficient. They sat each couple down individually to go over information and complete registration, before going on a tour of the hotel on a golf cart. Once they brought us to our overwater bungalow and opened the door, our jaws just dropped. The view out that window is just amazing. Blue turquoise water right out of a picture. The room is HUGE. If there was a kitchen, we'd have our own apartment. There's a large living room with a coffee table that looks over the water, high ceilings, a separate bedroom with a floor to ceiling view, bathroom with his and her sinks and good closet space. The deck was really spacious with two lounge chairs and a coffee table with 2 seats. My husband had no problem jumping off the deck into the water which was fun. There really aren't any fish, just the occasional one and a stingray or two.

There was live music on the beach at sunset our first night which was a nice surprise. They have a happy hour from 5 - 6 pm where you buy one round and get the next free. It rained on and off the next few nights so the live music was moved to the Bubbles Bar the next time. Bar service was slow the first time we did happy hour but was much quicker the next time. The singer and guitarist are SO GOOD. I was really bummed we couldn't listen our last night because of our flight time.

We had the half board plan (breakfast and dinner) which was worth it. Breakfast was a typical buffet with made to order omelets, pastries, pancakes, sausage, bacon, etc. They didn't mix things up each day so it got repetitive but everything tasted good. The only strange thing is, the hot water for my tea bag was never hot except on my last day. I ended up making tea in my room. Dinner was good compared to our Moorea hotel. We ate at Sands one night on the beach, and ate at Reef the other nights. It was good, and there's also a Polynesian show 2 or 3 times a week. The shuttle off the island to the Moana is $17 per person round-trip past 2 pm. We ended up just eating at the hotel so we didn't have to deal with shuttle reservations and being charged just to leave. That's one of the cons of staying here - I don't agree with paying $17 just to leave.

Staff were really friendly and always greeted you and housekeeping did a great job. It poured hard one night and a staff member offered us a ride in the covered golf cart, which we didn't take because we were close to our room. The only staff member I had issues with is the person at the pool towel / snorkel desk. He didn't seem to understand that each fin he gave me was the wrong size. Once that was fixed, he seemed so tired of dealing w/ me that he just gave us each the same size goggles without a second thought and went back inside - it turns out the goggles were way too big on me, which I didn't find out until I was on a snorkel tour. Luckily the guide had a spare and I exchanged the goggles when I got back to the hotel.

Other than that, it was a really enjoyable time and I would love to go back. That room and view was amazing (Sapphire room) and we enjoyed the views of the mountain. Such paradise. And, we met some really nice couples! I can't wait to go back!

Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived at the Bora Bora airport by 11:20am after a short flight from Moorea. At airport there was a kiosk with two representatives from Intercontinental hotels who greeted their guests with a flower collar. Our luggage were tagged and in few minutes we had boarded the hotel boat. It´s about 20 minutes to Bora Bora IC Thalasso where we stayed from Sep 12th to Sep 16th. During the journey it´s possible to see a nice view of the Otemanu mountain as well as three other resorts.

When the boat approached the pier of the hotel we may hear the sound of a shell made by a worker at the hotel featured with a typical clothing. Each couple is then taken in a electric golf cart on a tour of the hotel facilities while our bags were removed from the boat and taken to shore.
The check-in was made on individual tables where we were given a nice cool juice and wet towels. Being old clients and members of IHG Rewards Club we were blessed with an upgrade. Our lodging was in the half board system (breakfast and dinner). I believe that shall have had some problem because our room became available only after 2:30 pm.

Our room was number. 134, a Sapphire OWB. The room were extremely spacious and comfortable, featuring a living room, deck, bathroom, closet and bedroom. The facilities were modern, clean and extremely well maintained. The team responsible for housekeep was extremely efficient and hardly saw them during our stay. Every morning we received a summary of the newspaper of our choice. We had free access to internet at our OWB but it was very slow. The staff always attentive and never failled to greet guests.

The water is really that color turquoise (it is not trick photography). Near the pool it's possible to pick up kayaks, snorkeling equipment and pool towels. The best place to see colorful fish is near the wedding chapel. In the vicinity of the OWB fishes are rare. The pool had many loose tiles. In our room we received a letter from the management explaining that there had been an issue during the recent renovation of the pool.

The breakfast was served each morning in the restaurant Reef and had wide variety of foods. For dinner the hotel offers 3 options, 2 included in our rate (Reef and Sands). We chose the Reef all 4 nights and were very well attended. A pre-paid meal plan is the best option. The dinner menu includes an excellent dish of lobster with sauce made with vanilla. The Bubbles bar was very nice for a casual drink by end of the day.

We did a full day boat tour with picnic during which it was possible to go around across the island of Bora Bora, as well as visit the coral gardens and dive with stingrays and sharks (do not forget to pick up the snorkeling equipment at the hotel). This tour was already booked by our agent. It was operated by Raanui Tours.

Few weeks before our arrival, I contacted the hotel concierge, through email, to book a helicopter ride over the island. The tour departed from the hotel itself. It's expensive but an opportunity you can´t miss out on. The concierge service was very efficient and attentive, in particular Ms. Jourdan and her team. This tour was a surprise for my wife and the concierge staff managed to keep the secret until the last minute.

On Saturday morning we went to visit the main island. We use the boat that makes the trip between the IC hotels. In Le Moana hotel, located at Matira Beach, there is a bus from the hotel which makes the journey to the city of Vaitape, with a stay of about an hour.

On our last day it was possible to stay in the OWB until 4pm. The boat left the hotel at 5:05 pm under the same sound of the shell and we went to the local airport starting our journey back home with our shell necklaces as a reminder. Māuruuru roa.

This is definitely a place that everyone should go at least once in life.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is heaven. It's hard to describe but being in this place, no matter what you're doing, is just happiness! Bora Bora is an amazing place. The star of the show is that blue lagoon and I think this resort has the best location on it. Everything is luxurious and relaxing. The over water bungalows are huge and very well set out. The service is fantastic, the food is great, and make sure you check out the spa as well. Good swimming pool, great activities to enjoy on the lagoon and a free boat shuttle to the other IC resort on the main island. Will definitely come back here

Room Tip: The over water bungalows are all the same but with different views. Choose a room according to how d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Everything was impeccable. Staff was amazing, food was phenominal, Overwater bungalows were very large and imaculate. Location was perfect. Spa was great! Beaches were beautiful. Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bundaberg, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

location- great views of the water and mountain, quite . bit hot sometimes with no breeze , but that's not to bad. shuttle to other ic good if you have to go to town. but taxi or bus costs to town from there.

rooms. -we had room 211 which was on the end ,very nice but we had just come from a big room at the Hilton so felt smallish, but not being picky. very modern and clean ,quite, did not receive the room we requested but was still nice. few maintaince issues that need fixing.long walk to end rooms.

staff- mostly very good, we loved the pool boys. this place needs more staff as bit under staffed in the lunch restaurant and pool area but not being picky.

food-expensive but very good- they just need a bigger range on the luch menu. but we did not starve.

they had some pool maintaince issues but that was ok, as they told us when we arrived.
ice machine near our room was broken also ,but they delivered ice to our door free so no problems there.

spa- we had a 1 hour massage which was nice but very expensive. they need to look at prices for them we think.

we still had a great there and the best part was swimming and walking past the lagoon where the chapel is , just a stunning spot.

Room Tip: room 211 on the end but very private and quite.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

After a short, hectic airport arrival scene where hotel reps attempt to sort out who goes where, we were branded with a hotel specific lei, herded onto a boat along with the luggage, and the twenty minute transfer over the incredibly blue waters began. Our ride, unfortunately, turned out bone-jarring as the captain thought it fun several times to jump the stern wave of a boat just ahead of us, and then turn around seeking passenger's approval for his irresponsible boat handling.

After a short, informal check-in we were transported via electric cart to our Villa over the water. Opening the door, we were utterly amazed by the size of the bungalow. It is indeed a small house of close to 1000 sq.ft with glass walls offering unimpeded views over the astoundingly colorful lagoon water. It is furnished comfortably with all one needs including a superbly comfortable king bed, a living room glass top table for fish viewing below the villa, and separate A/C systems for living room and bedrooms.

Partially covered by a shade spending thatch roof, the large over water deck invites one to launch in one of the padded chaises, and to make use of the attached swim platform. Unfortunately howling easterly winds buffeting our east facing villa #237 made use of the veranda uncomfortable at best. Instead we spent our days at the expansive hotel beach in the shade of a thatched palapa. Although there is barely audible piped music on the beach, there were no children at all, and no animated activities of any kind, leaving the resort grounds an oasis of quiet tranquility.

Three restaurants, two of them open air, plus a third with A/C provide French inspired food. Breakfast is served at the reef Restaurant, buffet style with all one would expect. A special treat for some is to have one's breakfast delivered via outrigger right to one's bungalow. Although closed unexpectedly for private functions on three nights of our six day stay, the Reef serves outstanding a-la-carte fare, except Monday and Friday where in conjunction with an island show a buffet offers a true feast. An alternative to the Reef is the Sands restaurant, set on the sand with a nice ambiance, yet we found the cuisine to be less than par. A pre-paid meal plan may take the sting out of the high price level of restaurant fare.
Live entertainment is offered in the Bubbles bar twice a week.

Situated along a lagoon side stretch of beach on the Motu, the resort is separated from the open ocean and crashing surf only by a narrow belt of coconut palms and other tropical vegetation. Exercise walkways invite one to explore the vast grounds. Ample shade spending palapas with padded chaises are spread along the beach facing the beautiful waters of the lagoon and offering a view at mountainous Bora Bora. A daily highlight on the beach is the feeding of the Manta rays at two pm in all but knee deep water.The pool itself is a sad sight in that large sections of tile work are missing. A more serious maintenance issue may face the resort down the road as signs of concrete cancer are showing on pilings of bridges and villas.

All the staff we encountered rendered service with a smile, and a great many female staff came to work wearing beautiful, traditional island flower hair adornments. If there is one stand-out among them, it is ever smiling, cheerful Nicole.

Having a late afternoon flight, it was of utmost convenience to us to be provided the use of a day room after check-out. It afforded us enjoyment of the beach on the last day.

In summary, we have traveled the world, but we found the IC Bora Bora a beautiful and unique experience. We hope to return for another stay in paradise in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora? Share your experiences!