“Excellent honeymoon spot” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
“Excellent honeymoon spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I can't express how floored we were at how beautiful this place was. The food was good, the beach was awesome, and oh man the overwater bungalow we stayed in may of been the nicest suite we've ever stayed in. The only thing is the suite is pretty big.. BUT the staff will be more than glad to pick you up via golf cart to and from your room. The only minor quibble is the pool needed some construction. Other than that, we really could not have asked for a better honeymoon spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

While cruising the Paul Gauguin we had an overnight stop at Bora Bora and wanting to do something different this time we decided to spend that night here. I had seen it before from riding around the lagoon and always wanted to stay here. I am certainly glad we did. From the moment we stepped onto the dock after our shuttle from the mainland until the time we left we had a wonderful experience. We were given a tour of the property before checking in and when we got to our room - wow - we had booked a garden room and were upgraded to a overwater villa! We NEVER LEFT THE ROOM. It was huge and looked great. The balcony was big and the swimming from the dock in the crystal clear lagoon was superb. The views were amazing and the food (we had room service for dinner) was excellent. They even set a nice table for us on the balcony. The AC system they have is amazing also. Not a lot of fish to see at our location. Get yourself the IHG credit card - one of the perks you get for the $49 annual fee is one free night per year at any hotel in the chain. This room is around $1100 per night and it cost me $3 in city tax. If I had paid I still think there is value here. Staff was extremely friendly and although I did not use any facilities they all looked top notch.

Room Tip: I actually like the less expensive overwater villas - not as far to walk and my #139 was very quiet...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This place was awesome! The views are ridiculous, and the overwater huts are amazing. They are very spacious, open, and luxurious. The staff are very friendly, and they remember everyone's names. They are helpful, and very knowledgable. The food here is amazing and the spa is top notch. Overall this place was bar none the best and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room that faces the main island
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Spent the honeymoon with my wife from 9/15 thru 9/21 and had a wonderful time at the InteContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora. It was a little pricey, but well worth it especially if you are an Admiral Club member. Had arranged an airport pickup with the hotel prior to arrival and we were greeted by the staff at the airport, then transferred to the hotel where the boat's arrival was greeted with the blow of the conch shell.

The staff brought us to the registration area and was given a nice cool drink, then went through the paperwork. The communication was very personal, made us feel quite welcome. We were upgraded to the diamond owb and were pleasantly surprised by the size of the unit as well as the beautiful view of Mt Otemanu. The water was crystal clear, and the sand at the bottom of the lagoon was soft and bright white. So bright that when I watch the birds fly by I noticed the white sand reflected the blue water onto the bottom of the bird. The owb was well kept by the staff throughout our stay, and we were greeted the first couple of days with gifts from the hotel...first day we had the champaign and plate of fruit waiting for us when we arrived, then later that night we received a bag, two towels and t-shirts from the Spa. We also had a plate of pastry waiting in our room after we returned from eating dinner at one of the restaurants.

Dining at the hotel was a nice experience, though we were not accustomed to the later start for dinner. We spent about $120 each night at the restaurant, and the food was nice.

Spent most of our time at the main island, though we did use the pool at times as well as kayaking around the lagoon. Missed out on a lot of the event sponsored by the Intercontinental, and we did kick ourselves for doing so. Wanted to attend the cultural events and attend the stingray feeding, but we just didn't make it because we were on the main island or just lounging around on our deck. Be careful on doing cannonballs off the deck...I did and ended up hitting the lagoon floor with my backside. I think the lagoon is only 2m deep.

The concierge was very helpful in setting up a bike rental on the main island. I would highly recommend you do this. We rented the electric hybrid due to...ummm...time constraint. Yeah, time constraint and not that we were out of shape or anything. But seriously, it help make some of the climb on the small hills more doable with the help of the electric motor.

We also did the spa at the end of our trip...the Duo Honeymoon package and WOW! What an experience!!!

The only down side of our stay was the pool...apparently something went wrong with the previous renovation of the pool that ended up affecting its floor and the tiles were just coming apart. No biggie.

Was a totally great experience and I would not hesitate to go back to the Intercontinental Thalasso again.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing place. We swam with 16 stingrays and they were super friendly and would bonk into us hoping to get some food from us. Super cute. I used to be so scared of sharks. What an unforgettable experience! Food is great. I loved the raw tuna fish with coconut milk salad dish. Rooms are super big and clean. Bigger than my apt. in boston! Beach was nice. They give you fish food to feed the fish! There is a fun basket weaving class. My wife got sick and the front desk arranged for a water taxi to take her to the island from the motu and have a cab waiting for her on the island. They made the appt. and called the pharmacy. Watch out for sea urchins. Wear water shoes!

• Stayed August 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We actually stayed at the sister hotel (Intercontinental Moana) but went to Thalasso twice to visit. We thought it was a beautiful resort; water was still, mountain views were gorgeous and amazing amenities!

But the service was not great or friendly like at Moana, the prices are much steeper (although quality of food/drinks were about the same) and the infinity pool is lacking in its updates (several tiles missing which is quite dangerous).

The pros: daily activities such as hat weaving and making local foods. Beautiful views, still waters, modern almost "Miami" type of decor, nice for honeymooners (as any noise seemed frowned upon) The church is beautiful... the aisle has a nice glass aisle!

The cons: higher prices, pool needs updating, snobby guests as well as staff and my husband also happened to accidentally step on a sea urchin, right on the main beach! (yikes!!!)

Thalasso is nice for a day trip! but I would recommend Moana over Thalasso.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Bora Bora for our honeymoon and overlal enjoyed our stay at Thalasso very much. Our room was upgraded upon arrival and the facilities are BEAUTIFUL and very well maintained.

Like many (most) of the people in Bora Bora, the service was subpar and some of the staff was rude and argumentative. I can't speak for all of the employees or even say that overall everyone is rude but there was a definite attitude from many of the staff members.

In particular Vicki at the Concierge was extremely helpful and a pleasure to interact with. Stephane who I believe is a manager at the restaurants was also very accomodating and Erik, the bartender at Bubbles, was also great to speak with.

The spa is also AMAZING! But EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. I wouldn't call it overpriced - you do get what you pay for however it is VERY pricy. Hinona did my massage and a relaxation facial and she was WONDERFUL!

We ate at Reef Restaurant for dinner one night and I would say it was pretty good - my husband didn't like it at all however. I wouldn't go back even though I liked my meal just because it's overpriced and there are so many other excellent restaurants on the island. Breakfast at Reef also came included every morning - the breakfast was delicious however they say that breakfast runs from 7:30 - 10:30 however they were closing down starting at 10:15am which I thought was very unprofessional. It wasn't like they had lunch to set up for so this aspect neither my husband nor I appreciated. It also took forever to get coffee and water that we ordered at the beginning of the breakfast and we had to remind the waiter several times for both.

Overall this was a great experience and I'd recommend the Intercontinental Thalasso. I think next time I'll try out the Four Seasons however just because I've heard it's the best hotel in Bora Bora.

Room Tip: Room 122 is the BEST!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora? Share your experiences!