“Bora Bora Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Melbourne, Australia
“Bora Bora Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the ICH Thalasso Spa in early August as part of a 10 night Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora holiday escape. The service and facilities were excellent in general, and we would thoroughly recommend splurging here if you're coming to Bora Bora.

Accommodation: Signing up to the Ambassador Club is essential if staying for more than a few nights. We were upgraded one level to a Sapphire OWB (#227) which was absolutely perfect. The bungalows are huge and very comfortable. We had a good view of Mount Otemanu from our deck and pontoon, and could dive into ~ 2 metre deep clear blue water each morning which we will never forget. Ambassador membership also included a bottle of water and complimentary wireless internet.

Meals: Expensive - but no more than those of a similar standard hotel anywhere in the world. We ate two dinners here - one at the new 'gastronomie' restaurant Corail, one at the other high end restaurant Reef. Service was relaxed and friendly; there were a couple of mix ups with service at Reef Restaurant, but why get upset over small things when on holiday in paradise?! Fish dishes were the highlight given the freshness (most meat is imported from NZ). Overall the meal qualities were high without being Michelin star-equivalent quality. The best meal by far, however, was on the main island at La Villa Mahana - a true French gastronomy experience worth the expense but book ahead. The ICH has a boat transfer service to the main island (to the sister ICH Le Moana resort), but does charge for the service in the evenings.

Facilities: The beach area is fitted with plenty of comfy day beds, lounges and hammocks. Bar service by the pool and beach is efficient and friendly. The pool is having a few issues with lifting tiles, but still very usable. There is a small gym with modern facilities more than sufficient for a few holiday work outs. There are ample kayaks/canoes/paddle boards to have fun in the lagoon around the overwater bungalows.

Service: Overall excellent. Very friendly check-in, followed by tour of the facilities en-route to our room. Warm concierge service. We speak limited French (and wanted to practice) and this was one of the few places in French Polynesia where staff would continue speaking to us in French until we asked to revert to English!

Room Tip: Signing up to the Ambassador Club is essential if staying for more than a few nights. We were upgrad...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

1,170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Let me start by saying the IC Hotel group is on top of service. Every detail is watched over, and they want you happy at all costs. Best advice I can give is to book with this hotel, not only because you can use the sister facilities at the La Moana across the lagoon but it is a sheltered property from the constant winds. People who booked over on Bora were being constantly beaten by the trade winds, which can put a damper on the activities. Loved this property, and would return.

Room Tip: Facing the water the claw to the right gets more sun in June to Sept on your deck and the claw to th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wonderful, I planned this holiday two months before leaving the UK and really feel I hit the nail on the head with this hotel. The service was fantastic, literally the best I have received anywhere in the world.

Everything costs a bomb however and I strongly recommend booking the bungalows on a half-board basis as the island itself is dead and taxi's anywhere cost a fortune. Getting to the central point of the island where the restaurants are requires a boat trip with limited timings. If you miss the boat back its £160!!

Also worth mentioning, there are three categories of rooms, emerald, sapphire and diamond overwater bungalows. All are the same dimensions, sizes and they only differ in location along the claw and view! The difference in price between the emerald and diamond is just not worth it! All the bungalows are beautiful and the views are amazing. Add ons such as canoe delivered breakfast are costly but a lovely experience for the Mrs!

We spent half a day at the hotel's famous algotherm spa. I was immediately shocked at the costs but must admit, as a bloke bloke I did not for a moment think I would enjoy the pearl rain massage and the body scrub as much as I did! Cost for two people here was around £400 which was pricey but a nice touch for honeymooners.

Breakfast and dinner were good and of decent 5 star level. Dinner is essential to book in advance as this will come to around £150 for two of you every night otherwise.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough and really was impressed with the intercontinental service. If i'm lucky enough to ever go back to the island I will gladly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Bora Bora was a spectacular location. I stayed at the Thalasso for 5 nights returning august 1st, 2013. The Thalasso is a nice property and a nice hotel. However, they charge 5-star prices, and in my opinion this is not a five-star hotel. For their prices I had higher expectations. If I could do it over, i would most likely stay at the St. Regis.

Improvements could be as follows:

Service- We thought the overall service of the hotel left something to be desired. While we had no major incidents, small annoying service issues repeated daily became frustrating. Examples- Having to take silverware from other tables as waiters forgot to bring them. Ordering wine that is delivered at the end of your meal. Room service taking an hour plus then being served cold. Having to ask 5 times for Coffee. Drinks taking forever. Again, small issues but at a five star resort this shouldn't happen.

Hospitality- I am not an ambassador member and was treated as such. I suspect if I paid the extra $200 for ambassador status my experience would have been far more positive. Check-in took over an hour, and had to wait awkwardly while 8 other guests were delivered to their rooms first. I paid for a Sapphire room, so was not expecting a fantastic view, however we were given a bungalow that was probably 50 feet from shore (241). Disappointing as a number of other sapphire rooms were in far better locations. Also, check-out is at 11AM (our flight home was at 8PM). I called for a late check-out, and was told their was no way they could accommodate us based on someone checking into our room at noon the next day, and i was not an ambassador. I decided to walk to the front desk instead, where an employee took some time, assisted us, and as no one was actually checking in the next day, we were granted the late check out. While i appreciated this, I'm not sure why they couldn't have saved the frustration and done it on my initial inquiry.

Food Quality- As you are on a motu with basically nowhere else to go, they could certainly improve on the quality of their food. Even though we had breakfast/dinner included in our package, by the last 2 days of the trip there was no way that we could eat onsite anymore. They are in the process of opening a higher end restaurant, so perhaps this would be an improvement. Would be a benefit to allow easier access to the other hotels on the Motu for a bit of food diversity.

Again- a nice hotel with a great view and a wonderful beach, however in my opinion, not a 5-star resort. For the prices, you may be better off spending a bit more and going to the Regis or four seasons.

Room Tip: Definitely go with a Emerald or Diamond bungalow
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Ryan_murphy_08,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited Bora Bora and the Intercontinental Thalasso for our honeymoon in July/August 2012. This is without doubt my favourite location and hotel we've visited. Everything you dream of in a holiday is here. We had planned our honeymoon for 18 months and as it's not a popular destination with Brits few Travel agents in the UK offer a package. Tip Split your stay between two islands (We stayed at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea before transferring to Bora Bora), this will reduce your cost as Moorea is cheaper and by staying in the same hotel chain they can offer extra discount. Also try and get a package that is half or full board. Food and drinks are very expensive and you could end up paying a lot for food and drink!
We decided to purchase the ambassador membership. We had a room upgrade at both hotels and we recouped the membership cost on our first night in Moorea. This is once of a number of benefits of the ambassador. It is well worth £130 membership fee.
Everything here is 5* and above from the accommodation, food at both restaurants, spa to the trips and activities the hotel offer. Images and videos you see on the internet don't justify how amazing this hotel and island is. Yes this was an expensive holiday but don't be put off, it is well worth it and once in a lifetime holiday!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ambassador membership! You will be guaranteed a room upgrade
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We did our 20th Wedding anniversary in French Polynesia primarily on Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora. We had book through CAA, Hamilton, Nancy , who partnered with GOWAY travel to make all of our arrangement form the transfers to 1/2 board meal plans for all locations. See the individual hotel reviews for more details.

We stayed 5 days at InterContinental Bora Bora Thalasso Spa and resort (ICB) - for our third island stay celebrating our 20th Wedding anniversary in French Polynesia. We had taken a ?30 min flight over from Moorea . ICB is located on a Motu accessible by a boat transfer and again we had arranged a 1/2 board meal plan. As an ambassador travellers with Intercontinental (IC) we had a separate checking here that just meant that we had a club car waiting to take us to our Over the Water Bungalow for our in room check in . In the room we had welcome fresh cut fruit and complimentary water bottle in room every day. Bose Wave system in room was great to have as the docking capability for the iPod allowed us to charge up. As noted on other post you need to bring power converters or you can not charge your North American devices. Our OWB #227 was massive with equally large two decks and a lower deck to the open water .
Take the free shuttle boat over to the ICB second site on main island called InterContinental Le Moana . The town of Viatape is but a short shuttle bus ride over . The town itself is not very large but has all the amenities from post office , Banks and supermarket. Nothing large. We found the restaurant service to be superior then ICB . Needed to make dinner reservation but upon our return we were acknowledged by name and had the best seating on the deck to see the dinner show .the OWB at Le Moana were not as large and the water was certainly not as bright , more like murky but he Tahitian show (music and dancing) was far more entertaining than ICB .

InterContinental Bora Bora Thalasso Spa and resort (ICB) -

Food A la Cart menu at ICB was large and creative .
Beach: was clean and many shaded areas but we mainly enjoyed our own back yard / water which is accessible at all time .
Sleep quality: Large comfortable bed and plenty of pillows. AC through the night made for a comfortable sleep. Floor to ceiling window brought in the morning sun shine
Entertainment : there were Tahitian shows at ICB but the show presentation was better at La Moana
Drinks: They do happy hour drinks and it is worth a try and you really fancy a particular drink order several because it takes time to make these mix drinks and to be brought over .
Spa services : did not do but is well mentioned in other posts and the spa itself looks impressive.
Water activities: you can snorkel off your back deck or come in closer to the walk way by the chapel . There you don't even need to snorkel that's how clear the water is . There are Kayaks and stand up paddle board for use. Our favourite activity was by the pool , fresh cut fruits around lunch time followed by feeding the sting ray at 2 p.m. PLUS , we chose to do the excursion of Helmet dive and the concierge also recommended , did my home work with trip advisor, Aqua Safari. Florian, was prompt to pick us up at La Moana and don't remember the dive masters name but both seemed are very well-informed and displayed patience to make this experience memorable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

It took me 12 whole months to plan my honeymoon. I am a perfectionist freak, and even asked for a precise room / bungalow to stay in, after seeing it on Google maps and compared it to the bungalow maps from the resort... I know! ... so I was nervous about the trip for a whole year. I asked for Bungalow 205 (which is the nicest of the "simpler" bungalows, because you cannot see any other bungalows from your balcony and the water height is perfect from there - not too shallow, not too deep... In fact, this bungalow is cheaper than the most expensive ones, and is a lot better! The water colour from this room is why people go to Tahiti! The more expensive bungalows are in deeper waters, so not very good to swim in.

When we arrived, I literally gasped for air. I feel like crying now just thinking about it.

Magical place, amazing service, amazing food... so much more than what you expect... even for someone who planned it for so long!

Will I ever go back? NO! Because I seriously think it was too good to be true, so if I ever go back again it may start to seem real... so I'd rather keep it in my memory, so that I always regard it as a dream.

THAT'S how good it was! Forget how expensive it is.. this is the ONE trip of your life and if you KNOW your partner is for life, you will treat her to this.

Thank you InterContinental Thalasso SPA. THANK YOU!

We arrived March 27, 2012 till April 3, 2012 (From Brazil, via Chile) weather was ... yes, you guessed it... too good to be true! Not a single cloud for 7 days!

Room Tip: Bungalow 205 is PERFECT. In fact its better than the most expensive ones because you can swim in sha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora? Share your experiences!