“WOW! So happy we stayed at Thalasso” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
San Francisco, CA
“WOW! So happy we stayed at Thalasso”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I spent the second half of our honeymoon at Thalasso from Nov 5 - Nov 10 after we stayed 5 days at Intercontinental Le Moana (I have another review on that one). It is sort of unfair to compare the two since they are at different price points, but Thalasso was by far the superior hotel. The customer service was outstanding. There was no request too small, and they were some of the friendliest hotel staff I have ever met.

The grounds are just stunning. They managed to combine the island's natural beauty of the head on view of the mountain, lagoons and streams with a modern design aesthetic, and it turned out perfectly. There were so many places to explore, including a fitness trail that leads to the other side of the motu so you can walk along the ocean.

The OWBs are huge!! I was so happy when I stepped into ours (#115) for the first time, I never wanted to leave! I believe it was almost as big as my apartment, which is 950 sq ft (if you include the deck). The bed faces a floor-to-ceiling window with a view of the water. There is a claw-foot bath tub with a view of the water. The deck has a door that you can access from your bedroom. You can literally get out of bed and jump into the ocean. The only complaint I have about the rooms is the bed. While comfortable, it was on wheels and slid around on the wooden floor every time we moved, so if my husband turned in the night, it would wake me up. This could be easily fixed my putting a rug under the bed. But nothing can beat waking up to that view, no matter how tired you are ;)

The Spa - oh my, we had an appointment for a couple's massage one morning, and ended up staying at the spa for 8 HOURS. The treatment itself was very good, and I could watch the fish swim beneath the window in the floor. We used the rest of the facilites like the steam room, jacuzzis, and other pools of various temperatures. There is also a tea house onsite, which was self-serve, and you can either enjoy your tea on the veranda, or in what I would call a meditation room. It was so peaceful, we read our books in there for a long time. If you stay at Thalasso, you MUST use the spa.

We spent a lot of time at the pool. It is an infinity-edge pool which direct view of the mountain. The temperature of the water is perfect - warm, but refreshing at the same time. The staff that works the pool area is very friendly and the drinks they serve you are tasty. The Mai-Tai is killer (read "strong") and they even had my favorite Hoegaarden beer!

Every day at 2pm, there is a sting ray feeding. We went a few times and really enjoyed it. If you go, just make sure you feed them behind the eyes, not underneath because they could accidentally nip you. There are also other activities like tennis, beach ping-pong, kayaking, paddle-boarding and snorkeling in the hotel lagoon. The snorkeling was ok, but we found it to be better at Intercontinental Le Moana. However, if you stay at Thalasso, I recommend you kayak over to Le Meridian next door and use their lagoon to snorkel. If you go all the way into the lagoon under the chapel, there are some amazing fish there! We brought a piece of bread with us and they were all over us, so many different kinds. There is also a turtle sanctuary you can see at Le Meridian.

The food was pretty good - it was clean and fresh, though sometimes we did have to add salt and pepper to bump up the flavor. We were surprised that much of the wine list was at a reasonable price in comparison to restaurants in the US. Cheers to that! The buffet breakfast was extensive, anyone would find something they liked there.

The only downside about staying on the motu was the disconnection from the main island. While you could take a boat to Le Moana, it was just easier to stay at the hotel. It wasn't that big of a deal to us since we had the main island experience the 5 days prior, but if we had stayed the full 10 nights at Thalasso, we may have started to feel a bit trapped LOL. But what better place to be trapped?

We hope to return someday to Thalasso :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here 5 nights. Reception was good, concierge (Laurie and Sophie) were fantastic even when we weren’t the easiest to deal with (sorry!), pool boys were great (Gustoff?), reception was A+; restaurant service was top notch..... Every single staff member was warm, welcoming, engaging.... we generally felt as if each staff person genuinely cared about us and our happiness. I can’t say enough great things about the IC Thalasso staff. We stayed at the Hilton Nui 3 nights after our Thalasso stay.... we instantly were missing the Thalasso staff the entire time at the Hilton Nui. We were so impressed with the Thalasso; we plan to return next year.

The resort is equally as impressive as the staff. Beach is perfect, pool is great, bungalows are fantastic and the restaurants are great. We didn’t try the spa, but it looked out of this world. I wish we would have stayed all 8 nights at the Thalasso.

Only had 2 concerns during our stay.
1. Shower had mold in room 128, needs a good scrubbing.
2. More selection at breakfast. Hilton Nui had a much better selection and cooked better. Breakfast wasn’t bad, just the only thing I thought was better at the Hilton Nui.

Again, I can’t thank your staff (especially Laurie) for the best, most memorable vacation of our lives. Because of your staff, you have loyal guest for life. We hadn’t planned to visit Bora Bora every anniversary, but after our stay with your staff, we plan to visit you and your staff every year.

THANK YOU EVERYONE AT IC THALASSO!

Room Tip: Everywhere is paradise here. No bad rooms, but if you can spring for the diamond, it is worth it.
Claverack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Thalasso in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary. This was as close to the perfect vacation as we have ever had. Beautiful location. Immaculate and beautiful grounds, facilities and bungalows. Friendly staff and great service. Little if anything had a tired or worn look to it. Free and convenient shuttle boat to the main island via the Intercontinental La Moana resort. 10 boats going, starting at 8:15 AM and 10 boats returning, the last at 10PM. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. A selection of American style dishes, including great omelets, as well as numerous European, Asian and Polynesian dishes. Juices, pastries, fruits, etc. The only shortcoming, in my opinion, was the coffee. Seems better suited to European tastes. Everything else was very good. The breakfast buffet is a very good option to add to your reservation.
Happy Hour on the beach is very relaxing. Buy one drink, get the second one free. Excellent Pina Coladas!
If you are not already a member, join the Ambassador Club. Worth every penny. The late checkout is a great option, as is the free upgrade.
We ate most of our meals at The Sands. Good steaks and seafood. Very good cheeseburger and fries. The chefs have a tendency to go too heavy on the salt for my taste, but otherwise everything was good. Prices are high. A number of reviewers have complained about paying high prices for meals that are good but not outstanding. If I were in most mainland cities I would complain about price versus quality in relation to what The Sands and The Reef offer. Bora Bora is remote. Getting food, hotel supplies, consumer products and just about everything else to the island costs more. That's just the way it is. We've paid more for less in Manhattan.
The resort was so spacious and uncrowded that for most of our stay we were convinced that it couldn't be more then half full, at best. Turns out it was fully booked for our entire stay. La Moana has a much "closer", populated feel to it. Thalasso is wide open.
The bungalows are beautiful. Spacious. Immaculate. A/C is pre-set in the living room area. A bit warm for my taste. Fully adjustable in the bedroom/bathroom area for great sleeping. Spacious walk-in closet. Big shower plus a tub. TV in living room and bedroom. Mostly French, but CNN and ESPN are in English. Some of the TV movies are in both English and French. Who knew that Elvis and Clint Eastwood could both speak French? Lounge terrace and swim platform are both spacious.
The sole US style electrical outlet is in the bathroom. Only for low wattage devices. Razors, camera or laptop chargers, etc. Only accepts US style plugs that have both prongs the same width. My wife's curling iron would not work. Fortunately we brought a voltage converter for the European style sockets which are plentiful.
Nicely stocked giftshop at the resort.
No bugs of any kind while we were there but the humidity was quite high and very uncomfortable much of the time. Fortunately, there is a whole lagoon full of water to cool off in! The sun will tear you to ribbons! Be prepared. Sunscreen, hats, etc. Evenings were quite pleasant.
Lightweight shirts, shorts, sandals, hats and swimsuits. That's it. Anything more is optional.Oh yeah, don't forget your camera! If you don't have one, buy one!
We were going to make this a once in a lifetime trip. We'll be going back and we will be staying at the Thalasso.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental Resort & Thalasso Spa for a week at the beginning of September. It was our 50th Wedding Anniversary and we could not have chosen a better location to celebrate. The staff were extremely courteous and very friendly. Most of the front line staff had an amazing memory for names which made the stay more personal. We appreciated very much the various things that were done for us as we celebrated this important occassion, making our stay even more memorable, as we felt very honoured.My wife and I will always remember the amazing time we had and the delightful staff where nothing was to much trouble and all staff were very obliging. We had a half meal plan which was very adequate. The food and variety was really superb. We had breakfast delivered by canoe on our actual anniversary, what an amazing experience, so much to eat and the way it was presented (while we were given a canoe ride). All added to a superb holiday of a lifetime. The overwater villas are simply amazing, so comfortable and large with an awsome ensuite. The lounge area was really well appointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

So my husband and I spent five days of our honeymoon at the Thalasso. We spent a previous five days at the Intercontinental in Moorea and our last two nights at the Intercontinental in Tahiti. By far, hands down, our favorite was the Thalasso! We have stayed at the Intercontinentals in Boston, chicago and Manhattan and none of them compare to the one on Bora Bora. You arrive by boat from the airport and are immediatly greeted by someone blowing on a conch shell to welcome you. Oh, but before this, when you arrive at the airport, a representative from the Thalasso is there to greet you with a lei. After we got on the dock, we were escorted for a tour in a golf cart by one of the receptionists. Our room was not ready yet so we decided to go to the spa. What an experience! We chose the honeymoon package which consisted of a 20 minute bath, a 50 minute massage, a bottle of champagne and use of the facility for the whole day. The facility was huge with hot tubs that had a great view of Mt. Otemanu, saunas, rain showers, an individual swim pool, a deep ocean pool, a walk-through pool for your legs and a tea room. The staff were all very friendly. A little disappointed that we had to give up our flip-flops, pareo and beach bag for the amount of money we have payed. We had breakfast every morning at the Reef buffet which ran us $80. They had a great variety of food: eggs/omletts any way you wanted, pancakes and crepes, cheeses, fruits, sausage, bacon, potatos, danishes, cereals, yogurts, oatmeal, custards and a polynesian dish every morning. Beware, there are a lot of flys. We were in bungalow 241 which did not have a view of the mountain but of the beach. The inside was very spacious and clean. We had champagne in our room the first night and a nice beach bag left on the bed the next night that had a pareo, t-shirt, bar of soap and two bracelets inside. You cannot go by any employee at any time without them saying "la orana" hello to you like they mean it and not forced like in Tahiti. Wherever we went we were greeted as Mr. and Mrs. The concierge was exceptional! We dealt with Avril who was a peach! She was very informative and on top of things. When our parasailing excursion time was bumped up, she came and found us at the pool to tell us. One day I had gotten a phone call to our room asking what restauraunt we were eating at that night and I said the St. James (highly recommend). I found it strange that the woman on the phone did not clarify a time so I went to Avril before we left for dinner who did not know who called and also did not have us down for dinner. She quickly called the restaurant to book and drove us in the golf cart to the pier so we would not miss the shuttle. Upon our arrival, she was waiting for us to see how we liked dinner and drove us back to our bungalow. Should you be fortunate enough to stay at this hotel, be sure to book with Avril, you will not be disappointed. One final note about the concierge; we ended up having a very delayed flight from Bora Bora to Tahiti and had a driver wating for us, some other member of the concierge called our driver's cell phone in Tahiti and spoke with my husband to make sure we got to the other Intercontinental alright! The pool was gorgeous!! It was 4 1/2 feet the whole time unlike the pool in Tahiti which was either ankle deep or way over my head (my husband couldn't even touch the bottom) Not fun for me when I don't know how to swim. The bed was so comfortable! I gave the location four out of five stars due to the fact that we had to take a 15 minute shuttle to the other Intercontinental to get to other restaurants on the island. Otherwise, this is a perfect relaxing resort for anyone on a honeymoon or who just wants to get away from it all! Be sure to snorkle by the chapel for some great snorkeling and ask the pool boys for free fish food!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
lymington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This resort is second to none in every way. A stunning location, spotless clean facitilities, and wonderful staff who cannot do enough for you.
We travelled with 3 kids, and they accommodated them so nicely, and made a special fuss of each one. The pool boys were particularly helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: I ould choose at least Sapphire ovwer the water bungalow if you can afford it, unless you don't...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We spent six nights here for our honeymoon and it was just amazing.

Upon arriving by boat I was blown away by how beautiful it was, the water was so clear and blue!

We had a Diamond bungalow and were one from the end, a great view and spot!

We had no problem with any of the staff here, everyone was so friendly and whenever you passed a staff member they always smiled and said hello.

A couple of activities we did included:
shark and ray tour with raanui tours - excellent tour, beautiful snorkeling and get up close with sharks and sting rays, we even saw manta rays.

Helicopter tour - this was just amazing, we did a 15 min tour and was such a great way to see the island, we got some great photos of the resorts.

Jet ski tour - did a 2 hour jet ski tour, this was great, we stopped on a motu for a coconut showing, was lots of fun!

Day spa - we got a 2 hour package at the day spa, it was very nice but the day spa is very very expensive!! they have nice facilities as well you can use before and after your spa treatment.

We got breakfast delivered to our bungalow one morning by canoe, this is about $200 AUD expensive but they bring you a massive breakfast!! we had fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, bacon, cereal, juice etc.

We had a half board meal plan while we were there, this included buffet breakfast and 3 courses for dinner each night, I strongly suggest getting a meal plan as the food at the resort is very expensive!
If we were to go back we would even go the full board meal plan as this includes lunch as well. We spent around $60+ for lunch, so if you are there a little while it all adds up by the end of the trip!

We went to Bloody Marys one lunch time but they werent serving lunch on this particular day so we just had tapas, reasonably priced cocktails and food.

We had dinner at both the Sands and the Reef restaurants, the reef was mainly seafood.

We got the boat over to Le Moana one night for dinner just for something different but it wasnt worth it, service wasnt as good and the food was a bit poor. But if you are sick of the sands and reef and want something different, the boat will take you over to the Moana.

We also joined the intercontinental ambassder program before leaving, I suggest this as well.

We got a room upgrade from a sapphire to a diamond bungalow, water in our room daily, fruit on arrival and late check out.

We arrived quite early when we got there, our room wasnt ready but they have day rooms for you to store your luggage and have a shower, this was really handy we just got into our bathers and went swimming until our room was ready and also had lunch.

Cocktails at bubbles bar were great, they were about $30 AUD. very yummy and professional bartenders here.

I definetly recommend this resort, it was just perfect and so amazing, we were so lucky and had amazing weather the whole time we were there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora? Share your experiences!