My wife and I just returned from a week at the Thalasso in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary. This was as close to the perfect vacation as we have ever had. Beautiful location. Immaculate and beautiful grounds, facilities and bungalows. Friendly staff and great service. Little if anything had a tired or worn look to it. Free and convenient shuttle boat to the main island via the Intercontinental La Moana resort. 10 boats going, starting at 8:15 AM and 10 boats returning, the last at 10PM. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. A selection of American style dishes, including great omelets, as well as numerous European, Asian and Polynesian dishes. Juices, pastries, fruits, etc. The only shortcoming, in my opinion, was the coffee. Seems better suited to European tastes. Everything else was very good. The breakfast buffet is a very good option to add to your reservation.
Happy Hour on the beach is very relaxing. Buy one drink, get the second one free. Excellent Pina Coladas!
If you are not already a member, join the Ambassador Club. Worth every penny. The late checkout is a great option, as is the free upgrade.
We ate most of our meals at The Sands. Good steaks and seafood. Very good cheeseburger and fries. The chefs have a tendency to go too heavy on the salt for my taste, but otherwise everything was good. Prices are high. A number of reviewers have complained about paying high prices for meals that are good but not outstanding. If I were in most mainland cities I would complain about price versus quality in relation to what The Sands and The Reef offer. Bora Bora is remote. Getting food, hotel supplies, consumer products and just about everything else to the island costs more. That's just the way it is. We've paid more for less in Manhattan.
The resort was so spacious and uncrowded that for most of our stay we were convinced that it couldn't be more then half full, at best. Turns out it was fully booked for our entire stay. La Moana has a much "closer", populated feel to it. Thalasso is wide open.
The bungalows are beautiful. Spacious. Immaculate. A/C is pre-set in the living room area. A bit warm for my taste. Fully adjustable in the bedroom/bathroom area for great sleeping. Spacious walk-in closet. Big shower plus a tub. TV in living room and bedroom. Mostly French, but CNN and ESPN are in English. Some of the TV movies are in both English and French. Who knew that Elvis and Clint Eastwood could both speak French? Lounge terrace and swim platform are both spacious.
The sole US style electrical outlet is in the bathroom. Only for low wattage devices. Razors, camera or laptop chargers, etc. Only accepts US style plugs that have both prongs the same width. My wife's curling iron would not work. Fortunately we brought a voltage converter for the European style sockets which are plentiful.
Nicely stocked giftshop at the resort.
No bugs of any kind while we were there but the humidity was quite high and very uncomfortable much of the time. Fortunately, there is a whole lagoon full of water to cool off in! The sun will tear you to ribbons! Be prepared. Sunscreen, hats, etc. Evenings were quite pleasant.
Lightweight shirts, shorts, sandals, hats and swimsuits. That's it. Anything more is optional.Oh yeah, don't forget your camera! If you don't have one, buy one!
We were going to make this a once in a lifetime trip. We'll be going back and we will be staying at the Thalasso.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa is located between the two hearts of Motu Piti Aau, a coral island on the barrier reef. The Deep Ocean Spa is the centerpiece, but the resort offers lots of cultural and recreational activities to fill your days including canoeing, kayaking, snorkeling, stargazing and handicraft demonstrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora Hotel Bora Bora
- Intercontinental Thalasso Hotel Bora
- Intercontinental Thalasso Resort Bora
- Intercontinental Bora Bora