“Saving up my Priority Club points....” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Anchorage, Alaska
“Saving up my Priority Club points....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending 4 days here. By far, the nicest hotel "room" I've ever stayed in. We had one of the bungalows over the water, which is basically a house. We were one of the few couples that wasn't spending much time in the room however, as we were diving all day, every day. But it was so nice to come back to our house on the water every afternoon. Felt truly pampered. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel is a piece of heaven.The rooms are really big and comfortable. The food in the restaurants is really good and great desserts too. Huge variety on the breakfast buffet. The only bad thing is that is really pricey. You have one restaurant for breakfast (The Reef), one restaurant for lunch (Sands) and then both are open for dinner. The service on the restaurants when I was there was pretty good. The food on the Sands always came out really fast but the waiters kind of forgot about us after they brought the food out. Not that much follow up. At the dock we were greeted by an amazing lady called Peurani (hope I spelled it right) which took care of everything for us. She really helped us forget about everything and enjoy our time there. We got there too early and our room wasn't ready. She took us to our day room which had a sitting room and a full bathroom so you could shower and change into something more comfortable after those long flights. Those day rooms were the best. they're a life saver. Our luggage was waiting for us there and then they moved it to the room later on. Also the concierge ladies there were the best. They took care of all my requests without a single problem and really fast too. The rooms are really big and really beautiful as well. They were really clean and got serviced twice a day. Its like they know when you go out and thats when they go in because I never saw them. I did not rank the spa because we didn't visit it. We stayed doing all the outdoor stuff. All the checks were on polynesian franks which made it kind of complicated to figure out. But, overall, I give this hotel an A- just for the price on everything. But trust me when I tell you that what you see on magazines and internet photos is what you're gonna get when you get there. Its one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited in my life and I live in a beautiful place so I'm pretty demanding. You'll love it here!!!

Room Tip: All rooms in this hotel are the same. The only difference is the view.I stayed on room 133. Its a s...
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Before you read any further, if you're considering staying with the Intercontinental and you're not an Ambassador member, go sign up now. It is worth every penny!

OK, now that you're back:

What more can be said about the Thalasso that hasn't already been said here in other reviews? The location is nigh unbelievable. During our trip there, we did a tour of the island via boat, and I can confidently say that the view from the Otemanu suites of Mt. Otemanu are the best the island has to offer. As other reviews have mentioned, it really does seem to be the best spot on the island.

Our bungalow (221 on the south leg, in the middle of the U) was perfect. 3' of water off the back deck, perfect view of the mountain, and comfortable as you would expect.

Real highs:
- Bora Bora itself has to be seen to be believed
- quiet/peaceful feeling
- awesome bed/bedding
- Top Dive/Bathy's on site was super easy
- Concierge service

So-So:
- We thought the food was sort of 4 out of 5 stars. Good but not WOW.

Lows
- checkin process took longer than it ought to have, but not horrible.
- the transfer boat isn't as ritzy as the St. Regis' is. Such a minor quibble should give you an idea of how hard it is to find things wrong with this place!
- cost of alcohol (this is true everywhere in French Polynesia)

Our only other minor quibble was that on occasion, the concierge had slightly incorrect information about when things were open etc (i.e. Bloody Mary's)

Recommended tours:
- Diving (of course!)
- Tanoa Private snorkeling tour/BBQ
- 30-min Helicopter tour (to Tapu and back)

Enjoy, Mauruuru!

Room Tip: Diamond Otemanu suite #221 on the south leg, in the middle of the U, facing Mt. Otemanu, was PERFECT...
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We arrived in the IC Thalasso Bora Bora on May 27th and were very impressed with the check-in service and ambiance of the resort right from the start.

We were lucky to be able to stay here for 10 days in the beautiful Sapphire Villa 225.

Our experience with the resort location, facilities, resort staff, and dining selection/service was excellent. The concierge service was second to none, we were very impressed! We enjoyed many personal touches this Resort provides for fee (various excursions, scuba diving, snorkeling, canoe breakfast, romantic dinner), and for free (lagoon tour on Thursdays, canoe, kayak, stingray feeding at 2:00pm everyday…and more).

It was a perfect decision to start our French Polynesian trip with the lovely IC Tahiti, visit wonderful IC Moorea, and have our final 10 days at the spectacular IC Thalasso Bora Bora. It was like going from pretty to gorgeous… and, wow…to absolutely exquisite! If you ever decide to travel to these locations first time highly recommend to do it in this sequence, so you can enjoy your trip gradually.

We found that many reviewers here provided us with the invaluable suggestions such as an Ambassador Membership upgrade, taking floating raft, Ziploc bags, nEspresso capsules for your coffee machine, underwater camera , waterproof watch, converter (110 / 220)…etc. We implemented all these suggestions and were very happy that we did. Thank you!

This resort fit in perfectly with their natural surroundings, and quickly became our absolute favorite destination in this part of the world and we will definitely be back (hopefully next year).
Thank you InterContinental Thalasso for your existence!

mission bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in April. I will give you the most important part first: You MUST visit Bora Bora when the sun is out! Let me put it this way: white birds flying 50 feet over the lagoon glow turquoise! It is absolutely stunning. Being rained out would be a disaster, like visiting Times Square or Las Vegas during a black out. So think twice before booking that off season bargain. We had a close call, the first 3 days were amazing but then the weather turned for the rest of the week, even over-cast changes everything.
The airport meet and greet was tepid at best, and the boat crew just walked up and snatched our luggage without even speaking to us. The transfer boat was clean and freshly painted, but a bare bones utility boat, the flat metal bench seats had the padding removed, so most of us were standing by the time we reached the hotel. Unfortunately, the boat shares a pontoon with the St. Regis mega yacht. I was a bit embarrassed boarding with the St. Regis guests smiling as they looked down on us. They charge extra for the transfer so I was not impressed. We spent way too long in a holding area waiting to be checked in. The transfer and check in process is NOT up to luxury standards, and this was a U$9k stay.
Once the paper work was done, proper service finally kicked in. We were chaperoned by private golf cart to our room while our pleasant host explained how the resort works and showed us around our room. We paid extra for a premium OWB and were given an end of pontoon (far left) room facing out to a completely unobstructed view of the lagoon and a great view of the main mountain. This room had by far the best “wow factor” of all the hotels we visited in FP. It was huge and very well furnished. The closet is great, the bathroom large and nicely finished, with a beautiful bath tub big enough for two, with windows so you can enjoy the views in both directions. The view from the bed was amazing. The privacy on the sundeck was good but not total.
The food was the best we had in FP. The buffet service and quality was excellent, the best run buffet we have experienced to date. They serve only small amounts at a time and have chefs standing at the ready to offer assistance and keep the food in order. They serve high quality and some extravagant dishes you don’t often see at resort buffets. The Japanese buffet was our favourite – the best raw tuna we had in FP. The sushi and sashimi was on par with the better restaurants at home. The best deserts we had in FP also.
This is a great hotel to enjoy room service. The menu has many options that are cheaper than dining in the restaurant, the food quality is very good, and the service was fast. The only problem we had was they don’t pick up the dishes. I hate seeing dirty dishes and left over’s for hours on end, once they sat clearly visible outside our door for over 15 hours after we called for pick up!
House-keeping was done very well but was slow coming. We didn’t get our rooms made up until well into the afternoon on several occasions. We only got turn down 3 times, they either didn’t show, or came so late we were already in bed with the lights out. Not acceptable for 5 stars.
We hated the air conditioning. April is too hot and humid to sleep with the windows open. It was whirr-click-whirr all night as the noisy fan cycled every 5 minutes or so. The lowest setting was too hot for us coming from our Canadian winter. We did not sleep well here. This was a significant issue for us, and will weigh heavily if we are booking again.
The only serious service issue was at happy hour. Make sure you like the first drink you choose because you will not be permitted to try something else. You must reorder the same drink for the duration of happy hour, but don’t worry, you won’t get tired of it because you won’t see your second order, or the waitress again until 2 minutes after happy hour ends anyway. This is not the first FP hotel we stayed at to enforce brain dead rules and give us attitude at happy hour. I don’t get it.
We experienced excellent service from the concierge desk, as good as it gets. On our last day we had booked a private boat tour with lunch, they let us cancel no charge at one hours notice because it was raining. They didn’t bat an eye, actually offering to cancel it before we asked. We also got excellent service from the front desk. We had trouble locking a window in the room, a half hour later we found it had been fixed.
You can see and feed lots of fish and other sea life from the walkways. You can feed sting rays right on the resort beach which was more fun than I expected. There is a shallow inlet area suitable for kids snorkelling, but adults will not find the snorkelling at the resort very good. The water around our OWB was very deep and lacking in fish and coral.
We took an all day private boat tour with a private motu lunch. The outrigger boat was great with a smooth ride. This was an incredible tour, we snorkelled with sharks while our guide fed them. We had a memorable sting ray experience way out in the lagoon. The rays are HUGE and will eat out of your hand and run up your back. We saw lots of fish. At the private motu we sipped champagne while exploring the beach as Billy our guide prepared a fantastic bbq lunch. He then serenaded us with his ukulele while we ate, and snorkelled nearby. Billy was the best tour guide we have ever had, a really nice, and multi talented guy. He even saved a less experienced tour boat that had jammed their anchor chain around coral and were stuck, he dived down, untangled the chain and then handed the captain her anchor. I was impressed. I highly recommend this tour, and Billy, if you stay here. It was a $1000 day for two, and worth every penny.
We took the free shuttle boat to the sister resort, the Le Moana. If you can afford the Thalasso choose it - the Le Moana is noticeably smaller and down market based on our look at the facilities. We took the shuttle into town. It was a big disappointment, over-priced junky stores, a dirty pot holed road, no side-walks, and was economically depressed looking.
My wife used the spa. She has extensive luxury spa experience and offers a 7.5 out of 10 rating for both the facilities and treatment quality.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay, but I think if I was planning it over I would pay the extra cost to stay in either #1 or #2. Thalasso is #3 on TA in Bora Bora, and the service quality was only just good enough for us. We blew over U$30k not including international air fare in 21 days, so yes, our expectations were high.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Room Tip: All the OWB appear to be the same size and layout. The higher priced rooms have the better views bu...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

One year ago, we spent part of our honeymoon at this little piece of Paradise. I read hundreds of reviews on Trip Advisor before we booked this resort and was still amazed when we arrived. Bora Bora is breathtakingly beautiful and so is the property at this resort. Pictures cannot do this place justice. We had a hut off of the right pier and facing the center (not the volcano). We had spent several nights at the Pearl in Moorea prior to arriving in Bora Bora. I am very thankful we came here second b/c I would have been incredibly disappointed with our hut in Moorea (and we weren't at all which you can see by my other review) b/c our hut at Interconinental was amazing. It was elegant and much larger than we were expecting. The bathroom was amazing. The view was amazing. The sun deck was amazing. Even the closet was amazing.

The food at the resort was good. The breakfast buffet was out of this world. I would eat so much at breakfast that I wasn't hungry until dinner. We had a package where we had breakfast and dinner included so it was perfect. There are 2 restaurants for lunch/dinner. One is fine dining and one is casual (pizza, sandwiches, etc.) We ate at the fine dining only once as we actually preferred the food at the casual restaurant better since we are not huge fans of traditional French cuisine (and that is mainly what is at the fine dining restaurant). Besides the breakfast, I just the food was decent. Not bad, but not that great either. The drinks there are VERY expensive. At the 2 for 1 happy hour, my drink cost $33 USD! Because we had read so many reviews and knew how expensive alcohol is we planned ahead and brought 2 handles with us from Duty Free. Since we went to Moorea first and there was a market by our hotel in Moorea, we were able to get mixers once we got there. That saved us about a thousand dollars over the 8 nights we spent in Tahiti!

The pool is great if you want to take a break from swimming in the lagoon. The water outside of our hut was so clear that you couldn't tell if it was 2 feet or 20 feet deep (it was about 5 feet at the base of our hut). There was next to no marine life right by the hut, except for the occassional stingray. And don't miss the stingray feeding that they do at the resort every day. It was unbelievable. They did a good job of having some activity around the pool (one day we made hats from palms), but it wasn't so much that it was annoying as it is at some resorts.

We were only here for 3 nights, so unfortunately we didn't have time to visit the spa. We did use the gym each morning. It is small but has the basic equipment and also has a water cooler that you can fill up your water bottle (which will save you significant money over the course of a few days).

The service at the resort was amazing. From the moment you arrive, you feel welcome. Even the check-in was pleasurable and they gave you a great welcome drink. All of the staff were very friendly. Our flight back to the US was cancelled (Air Tahiti strike) and we were informed of this by the front desk calling us early that morning. The hotel got in touch with our travel company and then they contacted us to make other arrangements. We felt much better prepared to deal with it then all of the others we saw finding out at the airport. Great service!

If my husband and I are lucky enough to make it back to Tahiti, we would definitely stay at the Intercontinental again. We would also probably skip Moorea and spend all of our time at Bora Bora!

Room Tip: Only regret is that we didn't upgrade to a hut with a view of the volcano!
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

This hotel is located in the center of heaven - it has the best location on Bora Bora – just opposite the Otemanu Mountain. The quality of the water villas is very high – they are good equipped with spacious terrace and it is good that the sleeping area is divided from the living area.

I do recommend choosing the half board, because on bora bora you have only few possibilities to dine out. But don’t worry, because the fine gourmet restaurant Le Reef is amazing, you can choose from different dishes from the menu. It is recommended to make a reservation few hours at the latest in advance as the restaurant was sometimes 100 percent full in the evenings. Some evenings you can watch beautiful shows / Polynesian dancing / – you can join the dances and surely the guests will applause you. At the end of the show you can take pictures with the lovely dancers.

As i have mentioned in the title can write with confidence that this hotel has the best concierge service in the world. They don’t treat you as a guest but as a friend. They remember your name, they organize everything upon your wishes from the organization of perfect wedding /by the way they have the nicest wedding chapel in the world in a beautiful small bay with colorful fish, with the view on the Otemanu Mountain/ to the Jet Ski around bora bora.

By the way it is a must to book a round trip around Bora Bora, it takes about 2 hours with a short stop on an island where you can eat a fresh coco nut. We had this trip on our last day – after recommendation from the concierge that we cannot leave bora without seeing bora bora from all sides. She was right..

I am confident if there is a competition in the travel business for the best concierge in the world, i would nominate Laure Salabert from Intercontinental Bora Bora Thalasso Spa and i am sure she will be the winner. I am sure if you book this hotel, the vacation that you dreamed of, will surely become true heaven.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora? Share your experiences!