“3 Words... Spicy Tuna Roll” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, French, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“3 Words... Spicy Tuna Roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Best. Sushi. Ever. We ordered the tuna tartar and spicy tuna roll for entrees and it was so good we ordered the Spicy Tuna Roll for dessert. This was the only restaurant we attended twice for dinner. Sushi back home will never be the same. The location is perfect as it is located right on the beach where you can see the water if you are there before sunset.

The shrimp tempura was light and fluffy and not over fried.

The chef came out and greeted us and we found out he trained under a Japanese sushi chef. Explained why it was so good. We stayed at the IC Le Moana so we could walk 5 mins there if we wanted to.

We can't comment on any of the entrees as we stuffed ourselves with the sushi rolls. This was easily our best meal while in Bora Bora.

86% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“Best sushi ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I came to matira beach yesterday - hands down the best sushi I've ever eaten. I'm not one to continually order more rolls after putting in my order however this sushi was too good to pass up and we ended up ordering two more rolls after having split three rolls.

The praise on the tuna is absolutely correct - freshest and tastiest tuna you'll ever consume!

Morgan, the co-owner and chef's wife, was extremely pleasant and hospitable. Our interactions with the natives in Bora bora have not been extremely favorable so meeting Morgan and chatting with her was a very nice surprise and change of pace.

Highly recommend!!

New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Food is ok, extremely overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Food was good, but was small portions and extremely overpriced. We paid less at our hotel restaurant that was on a secluded island and meals were larger and better. Service was bland. Good looking dining area. Nice that its on a beach, but can't see anything anyway at night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Livermore, California
“Best meal in Bora Bora - by FAR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Wow - this place was great! We were so tired of sub-par meals on Bora Bora that were also overpriced. We were so happy we found Matira Beach.

This place has a great atmosphere and reasonable prices. The food was absolutely amazing......all courses. We had the veggie and shrimp tempura which was an A+. I had the coconut curry shrimp (to die for) and my parnter had the ginger shrimp (also amazing). We both had dessert which I highly recommend the lava cake and the bananas tempura.

Don't pay the outrageous hotel prices for average food.......go to Matira Beach....it was our best meal in 10 days. They will pick you up at the main island.

Indiana
“BEST TUNA of my life!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

First of all, the ambiance of the restaurant is awesome! The décor and lagoon views are to die for. My husband and I had 6:30pm reservations (a quick walk from the Intercontinental Le Moeana Resort) and got to pick our table (we chose right in front of the large open doors which open to the lagoon). My husband and I started with the spicy tuna rolls.... AWESOME! Then we followed up with a Tuna entrée and a Mahi Mahi entrée. Both of these dishes were amazing but I must say that the tuna was sooo good that we decided to another entrée of Tuna as our dessert. Seriously... It was that good! There were only two servers on staff (one was the owners wife) and both of them were very gracious, friendly and helpful however as many restaurants in Bora Bora, the wait staff is a skeleton crew and they are stretched thin. We did have to wait a considerable amount of time for our after dinner drink and for the check, but YES! This place still earns an excellent status from me, a very tough critic as the ambiance and food were some of the best of my life! Best wishes to you at Matira Beach Restaurant! A MUST while on Bora Bora!

• Visited August 2013