“Great Island Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
montebello, NY
“Great Island Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We just finished a three night stay at the Le Moana, after completing a windstar cruise. After doing much research we decided on the Le Moana becuase of its island location versus the isoltion of the motu location. This enabled us the opportunity to sample the islands restaraunts via free taxi service provided by the restaraunts, as opposed to being at the mercy of the water taxis and the charges that the motu resorts charge to bring you to the main island. Also, staying on the island made it convenient to walk to a small convenience store an pick up basic supplies at a fraction of the cost of that you would pay at the resort. From speaking to other travellers we met, It seemed that if cost is no option and that you wanted total privacy and were comfortable eating at the same restaraunts multiple times, that the motu resorts were the way to go(more luxurious). The Intercontinental offered excellent accomodations, a polynesian feel, and being on the island advantages.
We stayed in a horizon bungalow, #30, with spectacular views and great amentites. The snorkelling was excellent right off our deck, and we took advantage of the kayaking and paddle boards. The breakfast buffet was pricy at arounf $40pp, and was the typical american style with an excellent selection of fresh fruit and breads. The orange juice was not fresh squeezed.
We did not have dinner at the hotel and instead ventured out on the island. The concierge will make reservations for you, and the taxi transportation to the restaurants is free, which is nice considering all other taxi rides are a minimum of $20-40 each way.
They arrange transportation via boat back to the airport which was very convenient. price was about $55pp.
Overall a beautiful resort, an awesome overwater bungalow experience, and the advantage of an on island location versus the more private and isolated motu location.

Room Tip: would definetly go with overwater bungalow and would try to go as far away from beach as possible. B...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear twomills guests Iaorana,

We hope you had a safe trip back home.

We ara happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you we have reached your expectations.

We shall share your warm comments with our team which are a real motivation for all of us.

With the hope to welcome you back

Best sunny regards

Mrs Laurence Levy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were in Bora Bora for about a week, and decided to stay in an overwater bungalow for a night (when in Rome..). We had booked a horizon overwater bungalow, but got an upgrade to the overwater white villa furthest out in the lagoon. It was absolutely fantastic, we had to pinch our arms to make sure we weren`t dreaming:) Absolutely stunning views of the lagoon, the location of this hotel couldn`t be better!

The villa itself was very nice, spacious and luxurious, and we even had our own mooray in the reef below. Nice snorkelling under the bungalows!

We did not try the Noa Noa Restaurant, but we orderered room service which was quick and the food was good. The view accompanying our dinner that night was priceless, shoals of sting ray drifting by in the sunset, and starry skies after dark:)

The poolbar (Vini?) was good for lunch, the pizza was excellent (big portion, enough for a couple to share one for lunch), and very good salad. I tried a mojito that really wasn`t that good, but the staff helped me out straight away with that too, always with a smile.

The receptionists were warm and welcoming, they also allowed us to stay on the beach and borrow snorkelling gear as long as we wanted the day after we checked out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Tine H Iaorana,

We hope you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

We would like to thank you for your time sharing this review. It is a real pleasure for the whole team to read your warm comments.

There is no better thanks for us than the following
“We experienced warm polynesian hospitality in every department we were in touch with here, and would highly recommend anyone considering staying here to DO IT:) The best and most romantic place we have ever stayed, in the most beautiful landscape you could imagine.

There is nothing to add just a big thank you for this wonderful review.

We would be very happy to welcome you back in the future.

Celebration, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed in an overwater bungalow during our 25th anniversary trip. The accommodations are great but many of the bungalows get shade all day. We were able to change bungalows and the front desk service was good and friendly. The location on the main island means there is a lot more to do if you don't want to just sit around in the sun or do water sports. I went for daily walks and also rented a scooter to go around the island and take pictures. There isn't much to see in Bora Bora but it was nice to get out of the bungalow for awhile. Being on the main island means there is nothing to block the wind so it can be very windy at times and the weather changes quickly.

My only complaint is that there is a charge to take the water transfer over to the other Intercontinental. If you stay there they provide complimentary transfers but not the other way around. Also there is no health club at this property and you have to go to the other property to use the gym. If you buy a spa treatment it is complimentary but even after buying a $220 spa treatment for my wife they wanted to charge me for the transfers. I went anyway and used the gym and spent plenty of money on food and drinks. An upscale property like this should provide the transfers complimentary since you are spending your money with the same company.

Overall a very enjoyable and relaxing trip. Next time I'll find a property on the motus and take the transfers to the main island.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Rodhaw,

Ia Orana from the InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort!

We trust you had a safe and comfortable trip back home and would like to congratulate you once again for your 25th anniversary.

We appreciate your kind assistance for having taken your valuable time to make us aware of your experience.

There is a charge for the shuttle boat service between both InterContinental Resorts in Bora Bora. These shuttles are indeed free for the guests from the InterContinental Thalasso Resort, in the morning but there is a fee in the afternoon. This is due to the fact that their clients have no other choice than using the boat when coming to the main island to enjoy the excursion that they have booked, whereas our guests at the 'Le Moana' would benefit from the privilege to use all facilities of the sister property (a five star Resort). In the afternoon the guests from our sister property have the same charge to come on the main island.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we have reached your expectation. Thank you for your kind review that we shall share with the team.

Best sunny regards,

Laurence Lévy
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed three nights at the end of June. The check-in process was a breeze, Constance was friendly and sweet. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Just like many other reviews said-- it has more of a Polynesian feel, we stayed at Intercontinental Moorea before coming here, it's definitely different.

We had a horizon overwater bungalow, well worth the money. My husband snorkeled and snorkeled underneath our bungalow, so many fish! Butterfly fish, trigger fish, puffers (different sizes too, we saw one was about the size of a chiwawa dog) just to name a few. We even spotted a stingray just swimming around the bungalow. The view of the different shades of water from our deck was just amazing. Every photo we took on our deck is like a post card photo. (see my profile photo)

Talking about post cards, you can buy postage from the hotel boutique, they have a mail box right at the lobby. It took a week and half for the cards to arrive in the States, that's pretty fast I think.

Kayak, Peddle board are all free of charge. There's a famous snorkel spot called "fish tank" or some called "Coral Garden" that's not too far from the hotel and one can just kayak over.

There is a small supermarket less than 5 mins walk away! (when you go out you will see a small souvenir shop first, they sell water and some snacks, but if you go further down you will see the small supermarket that I am talking about. Their water and stuff are few xpf cheaper, and they also have salad, fried rice, chow mein, roast chicken.. (I tried the Chow mein, it's actually quite decent!)

For the hotel food, breakfast buffet was very good! For lunch I tried their chicken sandwich (it's fried chicken inside), and Poisson Cru (Tahitian salad), both tasted wonderful. My husband had pizza and Japanese style club sandwich, they were OK, not bad but not special too.

Ever staff was friendly and helpful. Some reviews said that the breakfast buffet cook (Omelet lady) was in a bad mood constantly. --> NOT TRUE! She's just a shy person in my opinion, she would not initial conversation, but if you smile and tell her what you want, she smiled back and cook the omelet fabulously. (She was even humming a song while I was waiting for my Omelet)

However, the first night there was rough for me-- I am allergic to tobacco smoke/smell, it triggers asthma attack and migraine for me. The room I was assigned, although at a great location, obviously had a smoker before. It was a subtle smell, not strong strong smoke odor, but my body reacted to it badly. So if you have similar condition like me, make sure you make a special request to the hotel when you book the room. The front desk was not able to switch me said the hotel was fully booked that night. I had a really rough night, and was very miserable. The next morning, Slvana (I am sorry if I am not spelling it correctly or even got her name totally wrong) saved the day. She prepared another room for me, and even offered to have someone "smell" the new room first to make sure there's no strong scent (other than tobacco smoke I am allergic to fragrance too... sigh...) before they gave it for me. When the room is ready, they let me inspect it first, after I Okayed it then they sent the porter to the previous room to bring over my luggage. And they were fast, from the front desk to the porter to the housekeeping. You called, they responded right away.

Later on I asked about if they have non-smoking rooms at all, my understanding is that they don't. If that's the correct information, perhaps it's something that the hotel can considered?-- having some rooms that are non-smoking?

After the room switch, everything was smooth sailing. Despite what happened our first night there, we had a great time!!!! I really appreciate the way that they resolved the issue and tried their best to make our stay comfortable. Thank you InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana for being a part of our unforgettable memories of Bora Bora.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CLS33,

Ia Orana from the InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort!

We trust you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

We appreciate your kind assistance for having taken your valuable time to share your great comments on Tripadvisor.

As part of our Green Engage and Earthcheck program we have only no smoking bungalow. Guests are welcome to smoke on their deck but not inside. We are awaiting receipt of all documents to displace in the room in order to inform our customers of our new policy.

Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your were sad to leave and that you loved your stay with us, I forwarded your kind mention to my team, especially to Constance and Carol. (Carol will be so pleased to read how your rightly described her). Thank you for her.

We look forward to welcoming you or your family or friends in a near future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is our last night of a five day stay at Le Moana (we were previously in Moorea) and it has been pretty flawless. We had overwater bungalow #30, which is WAY out from the beach, and this has its pros and cons. These 'horizon' bungalows have the most privacy and expansive views of the water or the mountain but it's about a half mile round trip to the restaurant! Nevertheless, we loved it. Just the sound of lapping water. Bora Bora is impossibly gorgeous. The bungalow - a junior suite - is spacious and beautifully appointed. The service at Le Moana could not be more gracious. The staff is friendly and attentive. I don't know how Le Moana compares to its sister hotel, the Intercontinental Thalasso, which is across the water on its own private motu (and more expensive) but we enjoyed being on the main island, at Matira Beach, which is probably the best beach on Bora Bora. We had easy access to the main town, Vaitape, and to local restaurants. The Le Moana restaurant is pretty good, and the complimentary breakfasts especially nice. It has been a glorious stay!

Room Tip: The overwaters are fabulous. The ones furthest out have the most sweeping views but you'll be wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Katgalmusic Iaorana,

We hope you had a safe trip back home.

We thank you for your warm comments that we shall share with our team, it is a real pleasure to read that you enjoyed every minute of your stay.
Thank you for describing your stay as "glorius".

We hope to welcome you back

Best sunny regards

Saratoga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Of the three Intercontinental hotels where we stayed the one in Bora Bora is our favorite.
Everything is a plus here, the location, the hotel itself, the food, the staff. Although we were a
family of 4 and this hotel is a honeymooner's destination we never felt out of place. The whole ambiance is serene and peaceful, never a crowd anywhere. We had breakfast buffet and dinners
included and the two restaurants where we could have our dinner were very good, we kept going to the "Reef" with its delicious and European flair cuisine (most of the chefs there are French chefs, very creative). They have art and craft everyday by the pool animated by the Tahitian staff and we had lots of fun learning to make hats and purses out of local plants. You can see the feeding of the rays at 2PM everyday on the beach and it's really fun to observe. You can use the hotel shuttle to cross the lagoon and go to the island, the only thing is it's pricey and they don't have enough crossing over, you have to catch the last one from Bora Bora island before 5PM.
We also enjoyed strolling on the other side of the lagoon, the "wild" side of the ocean, where one can walk forever along the trail by the beach. The beauty of the location surpasses the other Intercontinental locations of Moorea and Tahiti where we also stayed. The staff mostly Tahitian is very warm and welcoming and will share the love of their island with you....and don't forget those reef shoes, corals everywhere...

Room Tip: I would recommend the bungalows over the water. Very private, no noise. Pretty inside with attention...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Corinne d,

We thank you for this wonderfull review tht we shall share with our ssiter property.
Best regards

Apeldoorn, Nederland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed for three days at this amazing resort, We had a half-board package and that was great! Very statisfied with this hotel.
The general manager really did a great job to make us feel welcome. we would like to thank the staff again for this great experience.

If you plan to stay here a couple of nights, do book the over-water bungalows, this will give your holiday an unique touch.

The only thing that was disappointing was the WiFi, it worked, but very slow and limited.

Next time we will stay here again :)

Room Tip: If you want something unique, go for the over-water bungalow.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear JST94 Iaorana,

We hope you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

Regarding your internet comment, a very important investment was realised by the country, and the Polynesian Resorts pay the highest taxes in the world, in order to deliver our guests a broadband connexion on those secluded Pacific islands. Nevertheless, for the same reasons, the connexion may be inconsistent at times. Whereas this is totally beyond our control, the Intercontinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort is pleased to offer a free internet connexion.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your kind comprehension.

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you loved the property, What a nice title to share “Pictures do not lie, it is heaven”…… Thank you so much.

We would be very happy to welcome you back. What are your dates ????

Mrs Laurence Levy

Been to InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort? Share your experiences!