“Died and gone to Heaven” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Newcastle, Australia
“Died and gone to Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I had read both the bad and good reviews on Trip Advisor for the resort and were worried prior to leaving home. We had read that the other resorts were better, how the winds were too strong, the staff were rude, that the rooms were inferior and the food was poor and over-priced. All I can say to that is that you need to do your homework before leaving. Prior to leaving home we upgraded our suite to a Horizon Junior bungalow, a positive frame of mind and a determination to accept things for what they are.

We arrived at the dock of the Le Moana resort after a incredible water taxi ride to be met by a representative of the resort. We were taken to a lounge reception area where we were greeted with a refreshing drink, during this time our documents were taken for the registration. After a short period we were escorted by a very courteous member of the staff to our bungalow. Well when the door opened we were blown away with firstly the view and secondly the room. The little touches were done to perfection, ranging from the flowers, to the gifts to the luggage stored in the cupboard on arrival.

We were fortunate to spend 5 nights in paradise and during this time, we had arranged a breakfast and dinner deal, experienced excellent dining with beautifully prepared dishes. If there was any complaint it would be at the beginning of our experience with breakfast. The first morning we were there for breakfast, the staff appeared to be dis-interested and rude. But once they knew who we were and we exhibited respect and friendliness, they more than friendly and helpful. I think a lot of times people misunderstand the locals and also treat them with contempt.
In regards to the location we could not have been happier, we found the winds refreshing and due to the location of the bungalows able to be sheltered. Again we accept conditions for what they are and looked at the other resorts and believe that the conditions may have been stifling due to very little cooling wind. When we arrived we were arrived that if the winds proved too strong then the beach was more sheltered, so we had options.

As far as the cost was concerned, we were expecting worse and yes certain items are pricey but you need to keep in mind where you are located and everything requires shipping and transportation costs.

I found that the staff all work very hard to improve their image and also make you feel welcome. This was especially felt at dinner time where there was attention to detail and a commitment by senior management.

The only disappointing event that occurred was that we lost water to our bungalow and were required to move to the lagoon bungalow for our last night. I must say this placed a damper on our experience as we both wanted to finish on a high. But it did confirm our decision to upgrade to the Horizon junior Suite.

In general I would not hesitate in recommending the Intercontinental Le Moana Resort to any of our friends. I would also like to thank all the staff for making our stay a truly amazing experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Hazz2318,

Ia Orana from the InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort!

We trust you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

I read with great interest your comments which are fair and honest, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your recommendations.

I'm really sorry that we had to move you to another bungalow because of a technical problem, but sometimes we have to make the right decision rather than take the risk of not being able to fix the problem quickly.

Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property, I forwarded your kind mention to my team.

We look forward to welcoming you or your family or friends in a near future.

Yours sincerely,

Laurence Lévy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort for 5 nights. My overall experience at the resort was great- it was a dream honeymoon.

However I have to say that I was a little disappointed with Intercontinental management. When we arrived at the resort we had to fill out paperwork, and then were taken on a tour of the property because our room wasn't ready. We arrived at the hotel around 10am and after traveling for 10 + hours the last thing you want to hear is that your room isn't ready. We then waited well past 2pm until we were allowed into our room. Then the day before we left we received a letter explaining that we could have our room until 5pm and that the boat was departing at 5:15. The next day I receive a phone call at 9:15 asking us to move to a beach bungalow even though I am apart of the ambassadors club and was promised a late checkout of 4pm. I do not think the front desk was as helpful as they could have been.

The bungalow was beautiful and we could not get over the turquoise water and waking up to the sound of the water beneath us. The cleaning service was amazing bringing towels and cookies in the evening. We enjoyed the use of the kayaks, snorkeling, and paddle boarding. The pool was very nice as well.

The bartenders Francine and Jeffery were delightful. I thought the food at the resort was a bit pricey for what it was especially the Tahitian Dance.

Overall it was a great honeymoon. I have stayed at other InterContinentals however and think this one lacked the overall aesthetic that the company has been going for.

Room Tip: I highly recommend joining the Ambassadors club. It is $200 but you get a guaranteed room upgrade, f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Sirs,

Ia orana from Bora Bora. I paied a special attention to your review and regret that, on some points, we couldn't meet your expectations. The matters were mainly due to our high occupation the hotel being fully booked. It would have been interesting to know your room number and date of sojourn so that we can precisely understand those matters and the circumstances. Would you like to contact me, I will be pleased to answer personnally to your email. I am pleased to learn that your overall experience at the Resort was very satisfactory and thank you for your review that I think to be sincere. Truly yours,

Best sunny regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed here for our 5th anniversay. we were very impressed with the experience. Fresh floors in every room, every day, great food, decent polynesian shown on the tues night that we were there.This hotel has planted small coral reefs under every room so that colorful reef fish are visible thru the glass coffee table floor. I am not sure that the high dollar motu resorts provide this feature. room service comes via outrigger canoe vs. by golf carts at some of the high dollar motu resorts. The hotel concierge was excellent and contrary to what my travel book said, was not any different in price vs. If i booked tour on my own. We went on a shark and ray full day lagoon tour which i highly recommend. Lagoon services was the name of the tour operator. You must do this. The lagoon tour is an absolute must at bora bora. Kayaks and snorkel gear were free and there are places to kayak to from the hotel. I really enjoyed snorkeling out of my room. We had the 2nd furthest unit out (room 26) and the wind was not that bad. the one day day we did have some wind we simply closed up the bungalow and it didnt bother us. the weather changes very often. That same day ended with the most peaceful lagoon. walking to matira point beach (only steps away), with a drink in hand from the hotel bar, was a great way to end the day and watch the sunset. The only fault i can really find is that the hotel and rooms really arent set up with toddlers in mind. (We didnt have ours with us). Lots of trip hazards on the bungalow deck. its meant more for couples or older kids/ family friend groups etc. We found no need to go to the intercontinental thalasso as we were so satisfied with the le moana. I will be back agan. Hopefully soon.

• Stayed October 2013
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Dizwiz24 Iaorana,

We hope you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

We would like to thank you for your time sharing this review. It is a real pleasure for the whole team to read your warm comments.

Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you loved the property from you bungalow, to the concierge desk as well as the scenery.

We would be very happy to welcome you back, shall we book now for next year ?

Yours sincerely,

Cavalaire-Sur-Mer, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

If thinking about Chorsänger Le Moana or Interconti Thalasso you have to made a decision if more snorkeling on Moana or Diving at Padi-Center at Thalasso. Organisation and management is far better on the Island of Interconti Thalasso as well as ammenities. Better at Noana is that you don't need a Island Shuttle. Management on Moana could do much better and is sleepy. Emloyees are very busy and try everything to make it to an very friendly stay. More Fish in the lagoon of Moana but exciting rai feeding at the Beach of Thalasso. Bedrooms are nice but in the Morning very Brighton as there is no real curtain.

Room Tip: Faster around the island
Dear Elke W,

Always considering with much attention all reviews, I could read yours during your stay and had an interview together. We had the opportunity to discuss about some matters and I’m happy that we could clarify the situation.
You may be assured that your valuable suggestions have been taken into account and they will receive my personal care.

For the Trip Advisors’ readers, I will just give some information.

First of all I would like to precise that our Establishment could not benefit of a good reputability if not offering our guests the service they pay for.

We perfectly understand that the rates may appear higher in Bora Bora compared to Resorts in Europe or in the USA. French Polynesia is much appreciated as a secluded & protected chain of paradisiacal islands. This exceptional geographical situation has consequences: taxes are very high, transportation and all imported products are particularly expensive ( when they are delivered) and the Resorts need to impact its operating costs.

Regarding our sister property, the two hotels have their own identity and are two different products. Please do not compare a 5 stars hotel like the InterContinental Thalasso Spa to 4 stars Resort like Le Moana. The Thalasso guests are not paying the same price and it is a privilege for our guests to use the facilites of a 5 stars hotel with no extra cost.

One again I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and thank you for your comments, vital to our continued success.

Very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property, specially the friendliness of our staff, I forwarded your kind mention to my team.
Truly yours,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My family was very fortunate to stay at Le Moana for TWELVE blissful nights in September 2013. In fact, we were in Bora Bora at the exact same time as another reviewer on this forum, who opted to move to the other IC property, and then wrote a disingenuous review of Le Moana, despite never even staying one night at Le Moana.

On to my review, which is based on our nearly two weeks at this lovely property.
First, at check in, we were met by Leilani, who was cheerful and welcoming, providing us with personalized attention and providing a welcome island drink while completing paperwork. You will be comfortably seated in the lounge area at check in, rather than standing in queues, waiting for a front desk agent. This check in experience was unique and relaxing, especially after having traveled for hours to get to Bora Bora.
After completing paperwork, you are given a personal tour of the property, and then escorted to your bungalow, where you luggage will already be securely tucked into the closet. During our tour, Leilani constantly thanked us for your loyalty to IC hotels.

The bungalows are traditional Polynesian decor, which is why this is the preferred IC hotel over that other one. If you want sleek modern decor, then perhaps Bora Bora is not for you, because you can get that in any big city. We chose Le Moana because we wanted to experience the genuine Polynesian islands spirit. Every little detail in your bungalow, the restaurant, the lobby, and throughout the beautiful grounds embraces the Polynesian heritage.
However, you will still have modern conveniences in your bungalow, including a fabulous double sink bathroom, nice lighting, refrigerator, and television/DVD player (which we never used!)

The swimming pool is absolutely peaceful and relaxing, with a pretty waterfall. Although we preferred the gorgeous beach, we used the pool on the two windy days of our stay, and it was completely protected, warm, and pleasant.

The grounds of the property are very well maintained, and we were always greeted by several of the gardeners who constantly tended the lush flora. You will be amazed by the varieties of native plant life here, and the gorgeous flowers in particular.

The main restaurant was quite lovely and every meal we had here was attractively presented and good. Sure, it is expensive, but you must realize that Bora Bora imports nearly everything. Just take the time to go to one of the local shops in Vaitape, such as Mr. Chin's, and you will understand the prices. In fact, we discovered that the restaurant breakfast buffet and dinners are fairly priced. Indeed they are even less expensive than some of the restaurants in town. Vahine, a staff greeter in the restaurant, was always welcoming and very accommodating.

The bar area has comfortable seating and nice views. We enjoyed the service provided by Francine, and the other bartenders. The pizzas here are really good and nicely priced.

We had just two windy days while here in two weeks, but we used the time to go shopping in town. The shuttle bus has convenient times to take you into town, and there was no need to worry about scheduling your boat ride from that other IC property, just to get the bus. Ha, you just need to walk out of your bungalow at Le Moana, and in minutes you are on the bus. You just can't ignore the fabulous convenience of being on the island, not on a distant motu.

Now, this magnificent resort could not possibly run so smoothly without some guidance. The outstanding service and attention to details is generated as a result of the general manager here, Mme. Laurence Levy. Mrs. Levy is is a kind of force of nature. She has incredible energy and very driven to make a difference. She is charming, and quite witty, as you will discover since she makes it her job to meet all of her guests at dinner. Given the fact that there are guests here from all over the world, this is no small task. Her friendliness is the reason that her staff is always so pleasant. In fact, we left the islands knowing a few Tahitian phrases, thanks to the patience of Leilani, who was not "fiu."

Interacting with the staff at this beautiful resort gave us a vastly different experience than some of the negative reviewers here, whose expectations, perhaps, were that somehow Mrs. Levy could control the weather, or that the restaurant prices might be similar to Iowa or Oklahoma.

We are already planning a return visit to this island paradise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Law1 Iaorana,

Thank you so much for sharing you experience in this review .
All our team is delighted to hear your great comments on our service , friendly staff and location and we are so happy we succeed in meeting your expectations. You really did get into the spirit of the island and specially the spririt of our Resort. there is no better thanks for us than reading such review. It is a pleasure to share this with our team and in particular Leilani you mentioned.

We are already impatient to welcome you back again, you can trust that all our friendly staff will just do their utmost to make your next experience at our resort another memorable and enjoyable one.

Best sunny regards,

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days. The setting is awesome! Sunrise from your room, sunset just across from the resort entrance. Fabulous restaurants within walking distance from the resort. The town looks a little iffy, with lots of dogs running free, but we didn't have any problems. Most restaurants will send a free taxi to pick you up and take you back. The one restaurant at the resort is just OK, and the bar is just OK too. We had the end unit OW Bungalow with fabulous views. The water here is beautiful and the beach is wonderful. We went to the Thalasso Resort one day but wasn't impressed. Beach isn't as nice and the motu blocks the breeze so it is very hot there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PeggyP,

We hope you had a safe trip back home.
We are taking the opportunity to thank you for your warm review. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are indeed working on a new concept for the bar and the arrival of our Bar and Restaurant Manager will help us to improve the quality of the restaurant even if most of our guests are happy with it.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Best sunny regards

Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We vacationed Oct. 9 - 16 2013. From the moment we were picked up at the airport, we felt like royalty! We were welcomed at the dock of our hotel, and served a delicious juice as we went through check in. We had arrived at 9:00 am, and we understood our rooms weren't quite ready. We were introduced to Hivianna, our amazing concierge, as well as many of the staff members. We were provided a room to change and freshen up, as well as a safe to use until our room was ready. We enjoyed a "walk" in the beautiful, clear lagoon. In short order, our room was ready. We were escorted to our beautiful horizon bungalow, and our guide took the time to explain many things along the way. Our bungalow took our breath away; the view of the lagoon and Mt. Otemanu was amazing. The patio and dock provided our own access to the lagoon. We had a reef under our bungalow teeming with fish. There was a glass coffee table in the room over the reef where you could feed the fish! We arranged some excursions with Hivianna in concierge. She was so very helpful. She also made dinner reservations for us many of the nights. Before our trip, we had booked the all day Lagoonarium trip, which we recommend highly! We booked the Moana Nui all day private excursion, which was well worth it, and so amazing!

The room was well equipped with toiletries, hair dryer, rain ponchos, robes. There was internet in the rooms, as well as wifi access. The room had air conditioning, though we found opening the slats and the sliding window let in the wonderful breeze.

The snorkeling around the hotel was amazing. There are many species of fish right underneath you. There is a beautiful coral garden in easy reach of the hotel by kayaks (which are provided to guests at no charge). You can literally walk the lagoon to almost the coral reef, without swimming much! We were awed by the many colors of blue in the lagoon which surrounds Bora Bora. It was always crystal clear during our time there.

The location of the hotel was perfect. Even though we were on the Island, it didn't feel like it! The advantage of the location was not having to arrange boat transportation when going out to dinner. All of the restaurants provide pick up and return service for no charge! A small grocery store is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, and we picked up some water, and some snacks. We dined at both the restaurant and Vini Vini snacks at the hotel, and both were excellent. Be sure to also try Bloody Marys, LeBounty, Le Matira's, and Fare Manuia restaurants. Concierge will arrange your reservations and transportation. Don't miss visiting Viatepe. The hotel has a bus twice a day, or you can take a taxi; cost is about the same. The Polynesian dance show at the hotel was wonderful, and not an additional cost. The well known La Matira beach is literally next to the hotel, and a wonderful sunset spot!

We can't say enough about the service we received from the staff at the hotel. Victo, who greeted us, and helped us with many things, was an amazing man. Fifi and Vahine, servers at the restaurant, were so kind and gracious, as well as everyone who worked at the hotel. The manager, Lawrence Levy, was also kind and gracious to us, and has developed a wonderful staff. We WILL return to Le Moana again. We have made precious memories here, and wish the same experience for all guests! Maruru Roa LeMoana!

Room Tip: Horizon rooms face North and you have a fabulous view of Mt. Otemanu. The Lagoon view rooms face So...
Dear Bobprisci iaorana,

We hope you had a safe trip back home.

Thank you for choosing our Resort in Bora Bora and for sharing your experience with us!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we have reached your expectations that you felt treated like" royalty” . The staff will be so happy to read your comments and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Best sunny regards,

General manager

Been to InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort? Share your experiences!