“Fantastic value on a very expensive island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Maitai Bora Bora

Save Saved
You added Hotel Maitai Bora Bora to your Saves list
Hotel Maitai Bora Bora
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   BP 505 | Bora Bora Polynesie francaise, 98730, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Madison, WI
“Fantastic value on a very expensive island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

My wife and I went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon and we were absolutely thrilled with our beach front bungalow we stayed in. We found the staff to be extremely friendly, very helpful with any problems or questions, and the food at the on site restaurant was wonderful. We drove around the entire island and looked at several other hotels that we had looked at possibly staying at before we left but didn't because of the cost, and we were really happy that we wound up here instead. I'm sure there are fancier hotels and bigger rooms, but you're going to pay at least double what you'll pay here. There are two beaches, some pretty good snorkeling along with free gear if you don't have your own, great views of sun rises, and a 5 minute walk from the best beach on island, Matira beach. We plan on going back again some day, and we'll probably stay here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed five nights at Mai Tai and and were very pleased with our stay. To be sure, this is not a five star establishment, but if you are aware of this the place offers relatively good value on this very expensive island. If this hotel is chosen for honeymoon it is very important to realize that it is not a luxury hotel.

Room was okay. Clean There is a minibar-refrigerator in the room and it was possible to use it for refreshments bought from the nearby supermarket. I saved a lot by having breakfast in my room (I had brought a tea-maker with me). Bathroom was so-so, somewhat worn-out (once very little water pressure in the shower). For several days I didn't have any waste basket in the room (not even in the bathroom).

The hotel offered some nice extras such as a lovely fruit plate on arrival and half-size bottles of real Champagne for New Year's.

We liked the food at the hotel restaurant but also had dinners at the nearby Bounty restaurant that we also liked.

The best part was the beach which was lovely, warm turquoise water. Nice garden.

Reception staff was friendly.

They rent bikes. I have to say that they are not in a good condition (they offered even a bike with one pedal missing). Despite of that I really liked my tour round the island by bike.

They also offer a shuttle to Vaitape for shopping (twice daily, extra fee).

Location is good for the nice beach, supermarket and Bounty restaurant. It is also possibly to walk to Matira point for beach or shopping on the way.

A great experience was a walk to Bellevue, a lookout where you can admire the island and the reef and turquoise water almost like from airplane. This is marked only in the Lonely Planet Map. Some two kilometres walk to the Club Med will take you to the start of the walk. It is not marked but if you walk mountain-side you will notice wooden steps coming from a tunnel leading from the Club Med. It is a bit of an excercise to climb uphill but not too bad. And the effort is nothing compared to the great view. I had to stay for more than an hour the admire the view.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Tahiti, French Polynesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

We stayed at the Maitai hotel where we spent a very pleasant 3 days in an overwater bungalow that we highly recommend to everyone. This Hotel is excellent value for money and is very homely and unpretentious. The receptionist is a "gem" or a "pearl" whichever you prefer and gives a very warm welcome to all the guests. The Hotel Manager is extremely conscientious and her aim is to satisfy all the guests who stay at the Maitai to the best of her ability.

• Liked — unpretentious
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Stayed here in 2 different rooms - 1st a beachfront bungalow (#10) and an overwater bungalow (#107).

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were better than I expected for a "cheaper" hotel, and food was good but not the best. I figure if I want fine dining I have more than enough options at home in the USA - I went to BB for the views, for the experience and for the water.

If you want a really posh experience, then get out your wallet (or get a third mortgage) and go elsewhere. But if you want a very nice hotel, that has most amenities, and a wonderful location, then look no further. The rooms had cold A.C., hot water, irons, and even converters for your blow dryer and electric shaver. They also had small television sets - but didn't even think to turn it on, no need.

The beach bunglaow was GREAT, I actually liked it better than the over the water. It sat about 10 feet from the beach, so it was easy to get in and out of the water and I didn't have as far a walk to get anywhere (not that it's a huge difference, but if you get beach bungalows 8,9,10 then you'll have great views and will be right on beach - save your money vs. overwater bungalows).

The overwater bungalow as really nice and had a great view, don't get me wrong; and maybe 1 night would be good just to say you did it, but don't overlook those beach bungalows. You can see fish swimming below you, but I'd rather be in the water snorkeling to see them instead - besides, the water is warm, clear and not very deep there.

There is not a pool - why would you even need one? If you want a pool then go to your local hotel and swim in it. The lagoon is safe, beautiful and filled with tons of fish. You can do tons of snorkeling right on property - they even provide snorkels and masks. They also have free use of kayaks for you.

The beach there is small, but not as small as I thought it would be and there were always beach chairs/lounges available, as well as beach towells.

I had breakfast on their meal plan everyday, it was more than adequate. Plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, great fresh croissants and bread (baked fresh on island), coffee, orange juice, various meats, swiss cheese, cereal, and makings for a raw fish soup (yes, for breakfast, but it was good).

They are also in a great location. Now that I have been there, I would not want to stay out on one of the outer islands - it's too isolated out there. Instead, I was able to walk to the local market (Tiare Market) only a 5 minute walk and get whatever I needed and kept basic groceries and beer in the minibar.

Also there is a pay phone to call back home about a 10 minute walk away, and a small roadside stand to get AMAZINGLY good pizza and crepes about a 3 minute walk away. In addition to a souvenier shop and roulette as well for more food options.

You can also walk to Maitria Beach and can rent bikes on property to bike to town.

They can book excursions for you, and they had the internet available (most times it was up - not their fault, I was glad to even have access to internet being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean).

All things considered, unless you want pampered and live on caviar and champagne, then I can't reccomend this place enough - don't think twice - book this place.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, location, overall value
  • Disliked — NOTHING!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

I had a fantastic time in Bora Bora and Maitai is an excellent place to stay. It is cheaper than the others but i found it still luxurious and very well presented. I travelled alone, and that was absolutely fine, eventhough most people you see are there on honeymoon. The ocean view room I stayed in was amazing. Very clean and spacious. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, the food was great and I intend to go back to French Polynesia one day and stay there again. Maybe in one of those amazing overwater bungalows, with a future lover ;-). It is the most romantic place on earth and I can imagine it would be nice to share the experience with someone! I can highly recommend the lagoon cruise. It is unforgettable!

• Liked — The location of the resort
  • Disliked — I liked everything. Nothing at all bad about the place
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

We spent 8 nights in an overwater bungalow. The Bungalow is very nice and romantic, you have AC and all the conditions you need. The hotel is situated on the main island in a very nice area, with a superb beach where you can do snorkeling and canoe for free (the hotel gives you equipment). The personnel is nice and helpful, we received an ice cold champagne and a basket with exotic fruits in our 6th day. On the island you can chose from many activities and the hotel will make you reservations with a day before, but if you take the advertiser flyers and make a reservation by yourself is cheaper, I recommend the lagonarrium (shark feeding, snorkeling and a great meal on a romantic private island - 100 eur/person if the hotel make the reservation for you, 75 eur if you call the lagonarrium), tupuna safari (tour on the island with a 4x4 - 60 eur with hotel reservation) and the traditional spectacle (20 eur with hotel reservation) that take place in the Vaitape village (20 eur with hotel reservation). The restaurants are OK, the food is not more expensive than the food in a restaurant from Paris, you will eat well with 60-70 Eur for 2 persons.

• Liked — The perfect location
  • Disliked — I like it all
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed in an overwater bungalow for our last four nights in Tahiti here. Snorkeling was incredible right off our back porch. We saw puffers and a stingray from our balcony over the water. La Bounty has excellent food. So did St. James. Bloody Mary's food was very good and the ambiance was cool. Di liked the food best on Bora Bora. We had stayed earlier the initial night on Tahiti and four on Moorea. Definitely take the shark feeding, stingray petting, coral gardens tour. In the coral gardens when you snorkel through some areas there are so many colorful fish surrounding you that you can barely see beyond them. This hotel you will either love or be disappointed. If you are expecting a huge five star resort with a pool, this is not it. If you want incredible views, convenience of being on the main island instead of a motu, and a more romantic, secluded feeling this is the place. We had stayed at the Intercontinentals on Tahiti and Moorea. They were amazing, posh resorts, but this was the hotel and island we most blown away by. Why would anybody waste time in a pool with the world's most gorgeous lagoon off your pack porch anyways?

• Liked — Unsurpassed snorkeling
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Maitai Bora Bora? Share your experiences!