“Jewel for those looking for value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Maitai Bora Bora

Save Saved
You added Hotel Maitai Bora Bora to your Saves list
Hotel Maitai Bora Bora
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   BP 505 | Bora Bora Polynesie francaise, 98730, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #10 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Fort Davis, TX
“Jewel for those looking for value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Service sets this property apart, and the friendly, competent staff are so welcoming and accommodating that it is easy to overlook some minor maintenance issues. The flowers and landscaping are lovely, and we had a garden view room. I expected that to have a marginal view, but on our second floor, we could see the lagoon easily. The walk to the beach was minimal, the breakfasts were sumptuous, and the bar restaurant had a good selection of foods priced reasonably for the area. Frankly, you pay the same price for a Best Western in the oil fields of west Texas, so you get no complaints from me. I hope the company has set aside funds for some decor upgrades in the bathrooms, because with some relatively minor fixes, this can remain a wonderful place.

Room Tip: The second floor garden view actually was better than I expected.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wollongong Sydney NSW Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have just come back from 3 delightful nights in a beachside bungalow with our toddler. The Maitai in most respects is just lovely. The bungalow was charming and beautiful, certainly the room did show some minor signs of being tired, eg, wobbly water tap, cupboard doors not running too well on their hinges, that sort of thing. Location on the island was excellent, two minutes walk to the supermarket and Avis car rental down the road. Note that cocktails were yummy but did not seem to have much alcohol in them at all, for the price. The buffet breakfast was huge and lovely, the dinners rated a 6 to 7 depending on what you got. We had the half board package and they claimed we had no drinks included, I was a little unsure about that, I am going to query that with my travel agent out of curiosity, but too late now anyway. The staff were consistently friendly and amazing, even the garden keepers. Now for some minor drawbacks. Yes, the resort is split in half by the only road encircling the island. In the morning scooters can be loud when you are right next to the road in a beachside bungalow as we were. Although there is a high stone wall separating you from the traffic, the noise can be loud at times. I take earplugs on all my holidays, so it didn't concern me, in fact I didn't need them here but others might feel differently. The wind did unfortunately blow directly onto the beach for most of our stay, this is not a resort that is sheltered by being on a motu with the wind behind it. This makes the waves a little choppy and sunbaking can be slightly unpleasant. Yes you can snorkel directly off the beach or pier, the fish are amazing only a few metres out. Overall, I still view the Maitai as remarkable value in paradise for the price you pay.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are a recommended experience. We didn't feel it was worthwhile upgrading to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
St. Marys, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Maitai Bora Bora in September 2012 in a beach bungalow and an overwater bungalow. The hotel is on the east side of the island so don't expect any sunset views, however for early risers, the sunrise is quite breathtaking! Amandine greeted me with a lei of flowers and a refreshing tropical drink. For the price alone this hotel is an excellent value, great views in the overwater bungalow, and as for the beach bungalow, I had a "beach bungalow" that was actually over the water facing inward toward the lagoon. The lagoon itself it quite amazing, just jump off your own dock into the water for some great snorkeling. As stated in the title the staff here was amazing! They really do take care of you, by the time I left I felt like a I was a part of the family at this hotel. I'm not quite sure if they do this for everyone, or because I was at the hotel for some time as my base location, but somewhere around the 5th night, I had free champagne brought to my bungalow! Staff in particular that stood out to me the best was Gilles the server along with Patrice, one of the managers, and Cecile and Camille, two summer interns; they are usually in the restaurant that overlooks the lagoon, very EXCELLENT service. Manu who runs the bar made me feel like home, and was great to talk to while I drank Hinano. The 3 ladies at the reception, I did not quite catch there names, were VERY helpful in a booking problem I had, where I would have had 2 days without a hotel. Although they were HEAVILY booked, they, along with a hotel management intern, Alfredo, were able to let me stay in my same room the first night, and let me move to an overwater bungalow on the last night, which they gave me a great price for. Along with the regular staff, the summer interns from Bordeaux, France were also excellent, I only know 4 of their names, but they are Alfredo, Amandine, Cecile, and Camille, they did an excellent job, and I look forward to seeing them manage their own hotels someday soon. Bravo!

The only downside to this hotel is there are 2 stray dogs and a cat that you might occasionally see at breakfast, asking you for food. But that didn't really bother me. The food is a bit pricy for the amount that you get, but I had expected that, because the whole island itself is a bit expensive. Finally, as far as other reviews stating how the hotel is divided by a road, which it is, there was hardly any traffic at any time during my stay, which was about 2 weeks.

I would highly recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family, and if I am ever on Bora Bora again, I will definitely stay here!

*I put 3 on sleep quality, because the lagoon is so peacful and beautiful at night that I found myself sitting on my porch taking it all in!

Mauruuruu! -John

Room Tip: Over Water Bungalow 5, has the GREATEST view of the sunrise, and has the most privacy on the back po...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just got back from a 4 island trip to Tahiti September 2012.

Loved the Mai Tai in Bora Bora Olivier and staff are committed to you having a good experience. The staff is committed to service and does a great job, this is a 3 star not a 4 or 5 but you need to check your expectations if you are looking for the Barbie Honeymoon

We stayed in both the Garden View and the Over water, both were great accommodations. The only reason why we don't apply 5 or Excellent is that there are a few realities, its not a new hotel some elements are a bit dated or worn, also there is a little too much neon lighting, while it is energy saving it just isn't mood creating. The breakfast food is ok but with limited supplies in Tahiti it is understandable.

_______________________________________

NOTE TO TRAVELERS TO TAHITI (TAHITI IS NOT CHEAP)

There are two types of travelers to Tahiti.

Type 1:
The A-List (Barbie honeymoon / Ultra Luxury Traveler)

Type 2: Culture / Explorer Traveler
those that like to connect with the locals on some level while enjoying the benefits and sometimes mixed results of acquainting with the country you visited will like the Mai Tai.

Type 1 Travelers will prefer to be hidden away off on the Motu in the culturally isolated resort only experience, gloss of the "private island escapes is what is often presented in the Tahiti experience." Please don't ask you Agent to meet a low budget and expect them to provide a 4-5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hotel Maitai is inexpensive compared to the other resorts on BoraBora. We selected this hotel because it offers reasonable on-water chalets which we felt is a must for our stay. The on-water chalets are well maintained, and offers excellent views of the reef, no complaints here.

I would have given this hotel an 'Average' rating, however, because of the security issue, I have downgraded this hotel to 'Poor'. Please note that security is a problem for on-water chalets because during the night, it is poorly lit, allowing thieves that gain entry via the balcony glass doors. They came via boat from the water during the night and broke the balcony door locks when we left for dinner. They only took valuables (stole a watch) and left everything else as it were. Thankfully, all our other valuables were kept in the room safe, so they weren't able to take these. This may be a possible situation at other on-water chalets in other resorts on BoraBora, so please ensure valuables are kept in the hotel/room safe at all times when you are not in the room. We were transferred to a room on the mountain side of the property at Hotel Maitai following this incident.

The majority of the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful although some were not as happy to be on the job. The food at the restaurant at Hotel Maitai provides great variety, reasonable portions, and the cooking is quite good. Aside from the security problem for on-water chalets, i think that the rooms on the mountain side are adequate, clean and reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Aussie in the world
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a certified 3 star hotel and I question the extra 2 stars! We all go to Bora Bora for luxury and romance, if you are going for something else then this hotel may suit you. It is dissected by a road as it is on the main island and the road goes all the way along the coast. Rooms are adequate, we had a beach side bungalow. Lunch menu nice, dinner was in edible and we sent our meals back.

We paid for the meals and drinks package. We were quickly informed we had "a drink" per meal, choice of a beer, a softdrink or a 1/4 carafe of house wine!! Do not get the package as the food is not good and the wine is rough and you have no choice at all!! Because I voiced my complaint about the limitations of this to the head waitress in the lunch dining area, we had a go slow on our meals and the few lunches we had there our meals came out well after everyone else's and were cold. There was a definite "attitude" towards us.

Other staff were helpful though. The equipment for snorkelling was old, split, damaged and made what should be a fabulous past time a real annoying activity! Am sorry to say I cannot recommend this hotel at all. Pay more for a nicer resort and have a shorter break rather tha. Think you have a bargain with this place.

Room Tip: There is no pool or gym, no spa either.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had I known that my husband had chosen this resort, I would have definitely cancelled and booked somewhere else. When we decided to honeymoon in Tahiti, I was excited! I was looking forward to the trip. We spent one night in Tahiti at the Radisson, then five nights at the legends resort, which was amazing. Though we didn't stay on the beach, we enjoyed waking up every morning to the view outside. Also, the staff was amazing. They greeted us with smiles. Whenever we needed transportation, they were always on point making our arrangements and most of the time, we didn't have to pay. It was even fun learning their language, as they took time to teach my husband such sayings as, "moruru". Needless to say, I enjoyed it very much! Then, we got to Bora Bora. The view is just amazing. The island is hands down the best. The water is just crystal clear and very enticing. You know you are in a luxury place once you land. It is the island that beckons you to stay on an overwater bungalow. Well, the first clue that told me that I would hate this stay was when no one came to greet us at the pier. So, here we were in a foreign place, with no idea of how to get to the hotel. Then we were told that a taxi would be getting us in a few...which turned out to be about an hour later. In fact, he came just as we were getting not another taxi. When we finally arrived, we were given some drink that tasted like powdered mix, unlike the drink that we received in Moorea, which was fresh pineapple juice. I could barely hear what the young lady was saying because I was taken back by the super outdated decorations in the lobby.
When we got to the room, I started to cry. He room looked like a motel in which someone came in and tried to decorate it with flowers. There was a super tiny outdated television, compared to the flatscreens in both Moorea and Tahiti, a broken French door that serves to separate the bathroom from from the bedroom, a broken drawer that was left hanging out and a view of their swamp in the porch. Yes, a swamp, not the ocean. My husband knew that I wasn't happy and when we asked if we could get a villa on the beach, we were told that none was available. When we told them that we wanted to cancel, they did not try in any way to appease us. In fact, we were told that we couldn't get the remainder of our money.
Breakfast was so bad that I almost threw up. Here we're dogs and cats in the breakfast area and the food was so cold. The sausages and eggs were very unnoticeable to be what they were. All in all, I was very displeased, and if it were possible to give a zero, I would. Next time, I will definitely take a hands on approach in planning our next trip there.
P.s. thankfully, the Intercontinental was within walking distance because that is where we spent all of our time. Their staff was very kind, and the food was superb. If you want to have a truly fun time in Bora Bora, shell out the cash for it. It is worth it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Maitai Bora Bora? Share your experiences!