“Great resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   BP 502 Vaitape, 98730, French Polynesia (Formerly Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Get your 5th Night FREE
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Davis, California
“Great resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Upon arriving check in was very quick and we were taken to our bungalow. Since we didn't call in before to request a specific bungalow we were given one of the worst bungalows. Upon called the front desk, within an hour they changed a bungalow to a much better one and it was on a very busy day as well! (avoid bungalows that face the reception, you will be looking at boats the entire time).
I'll avoid wasting time with the views and how beautiful they are because everyone knows that! It is Bora Bora how can they not be amazing.
Breakfast was good, but not as good as Hilton Moorea.
We had the package with dinner included and the food at the restaurant Iratai was average and was way better then Hilton Moorea's dinner.
Over all Hilton Bora Bora was a nicely maintained resort and we had an amazing honeymoon.
In the end... I probably wouldn't return due to the inflated costs and the fact that in the US there are some amazing places that are just as beautiful and closer to home.
One note to mention that I didn't see in other reviews, we were there on New Years Eve and had to go to a mandatory party. It was a very nice party with an expansive buffet. They had Tahitian dancers and they put on a show. The weird part was that at the end (around 9 or 10 PM) everyone just left, we went back up to the restaurant to continue our night and await a countdown and there was one other couple on the other side of the restaurant. So we just went back to our bungalow and stared at the stars and water and had our own countdown.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are not facing reception and you should be good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KarinePeyras, Directeur général at Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guests,
I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I would like to thank you for sharing your comments and rest assured I will share them with the team.
Karine Peyras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Nui Resort & Spa Dec 28th - Jan 4th. We had a unforgettable time. Let me get a few things out of the way before I start my review of the resort. I really don't understand how people can come on this site, come from such a paradise and dwell on such minuscule things and let it affect their trip. Also your going to be in Bora Bora and not sure why people complain about money, yea its ok to make people aware of it, but when your spending $4,000 plus on a flight for you and significant other...this is not the place to let that affect your trip.

I am going to be honest as i can in review and upfront and I'm going to try and be pretty thorough because I know I appreciated reading a detailed review when planning my trip. Our trip started off a little shaky with the airline leaving my wife's luggage in LAX. So she only had clothes on her back for 2+ plus days. We landed at 7am from an overnight flight and caught a 10:30am flight direct to Bora Bora. (Sit on left side of plane to Bora Bora so you can take pic of incredible views from sky on your descent.) We landed and were greeted by a Hilton member at the desk. We told her our situation with luggage and she was on it right away. We opted for the $100/per person round trip to resort and back to airport on your departure. A bit pricey but when it's your first time you want the pros to handle it. You can take a water taxi to Vaitape (main island) which if free and about a $15 per person water taxi to resort. A bit complicated but cheaper.
RESORT Review
Upon arrival to resort and in awe from the view we where greeted with Tahitian music, ukulele and drums. With fresh scented mango towels and juice we checked in. It took about 30 min. 5 other parties checking in at same time. That may bother some, but my wife and I were to busy enjoying the crystal clear water, resort and reception area which is over water. We were carted to our room which was 106. Amazing view of the water and Mt. Otemanu. We chose this room specifically because of this view and Hilton Nui granted our request. I can only say I researched this trip for 6 months and saw thousands of pics and videos and they do not do this place justice, It was flat out breath taking. Our room was a deluxe overwater bungalow. Room was beautiful, bathroom was huge, everything worked and was clean. Flat screen in bedroom and box tv in living room. Not sure why the heck some people would be watching tv or care about it when your in paradise. No time for that.
We were about 6 or 7 min walk to reception area/pool/restaurants which are all about a minute from each other. We didn't mind it at all. Were young and healthy and enjoyed seeing fish and sting rays about 50% of the time to and from our room. We were also provided an umbrella if it did ever rain. Just about every single employee we passed the whole week smiled and said ia orana (hello) very friendly. The resort provides snorkels, kayaks, stand up paddle boards, complimentary hobbie cat tour. (You have to sign up for with cabana boys). Who are the friendliest guys around. They will break their backs for you. We received my wife's luggage the next day and Hilton did a great job cleaning up the airlines mess. The gym is average with some light cardio equipment and a few resistance training machines.The spa was also amazing. My wife and I got the rejuvenation package which was amazing, they do a great job. Definitely recommend getting one, if not at least walk up their with your camera and stop by the mango tree, eat a fresh mango and take in the view. Overall the management and employees and maintenance of the grounds was great. Just positive all around. We love the Hilton because its on its own motu (island). It's really secluded. The other resorts are all next to each other, which is fine I guess, but we don't like looking to our left and right and seeing another group of bungalows. Great location and great resort.
RESTAURANTS Review
3 restaurants at the Hilton. Tamure Grill, Iriatai, Upa Upa bar. The last 2 you need reservations for.
The grill is also where you eat breakfast. I didnt get the meal plan, so i cant comment on that. I am a Hilton Diamond Member so breakfast was free for us. We brought snacks and bottled water in our suitcase for our lunches and we just paid for dinners. Bfast at the grill had many options, including a personal omelet maker who will make anything you ask her to. All the fruits, breads, juices, etc you can think of. They did a nice job. The one thing I will say is the that the flies at breakfast where pesky while sitting down eating. Good idea to bring bread back to room to feed fish. We did have one lunch and it was the chicken panini. It was very good with 2 coke lights. That was about $40. The drinks are 500 xpf. Depending on exchange rate $5-7. I know expensive, but its Bora Bora and they import everything. Thats why we packed our own lunches and brought our own bottled water. There is a grocery store in Vaitape, Chin lee I believe. You can get groceries there and bring them back to your room. Call front office and tell them your going to remove mini bar items. They're ok with it. Or just use your other sink to fill with water and ice.
We didn't eat at the Upa Upa bar. And the Iriatai was pretty good but not excellent. I had the shrimp risotto and my wife had mahi mahi. All were good, just not excellent. I think the meal was about $125. Including a $11 bottle of Evian water. It was a nice bottle though....We did our New Years dinner at Iriatai venue as well. It was an all you can eat buffet. There was so much food. Shrimp, lobster, beef, fish, pork, salad, desserts (chocolate fountain). There was a Polynesian dance show as well which was great and the show finished on the beach with a fire dancers. It was a good time. Only downside was it was a $400 per person night. It was disappointing to find out drinks were NOT included in that price. And there was no official "News Years countdown" There was complimentary champagne served before dinner for about an hour. I hope this is something that Hilton can adjust for following years.
We also ate at 2 restaurants in town. Water taxi rates double at night to about $30 per person. When you dock you walk to Main Street and there is a vehicle waiting for you which i guess hotel sets up. It's all pretty awkward, but its cool just go with the flow. Fare Manuia was one restaurant. It's a laid back casual place. We found it to be average. I got some kinda of meat and my wife got the pizza, which is some form of brick oven. Not sure where they get meat. No cows on island. I heard they import from New Zealand. Not sure why hotel concierge recommended that place. Prolly our mistake on ordering wrong items. Other restaurant we ate at was St James which was probably best dinner we had the whole time. My wife ordered chix pesto pasta which was superb. I had the mahi mahi with some kinda vanilla sauce. Outstanding! View was right on water and we saw fish and sting rays swim by all night. Very romantic and great setting. All for about $125. We also heard great things about Mai Kai from other couples at resort, but didn't get a chance to eat there. Also Bloody Mary's is supposed to be everyone's favorite, but it closed for the month of Dec. All the restaurants outside of resort need reservations. My recommendation would be to get out and experience the locals and culture and their great food on mainland.
EXCURSIONS/ACTIVITIES Review
We did the lagoon safari, 4x4 jeep ride, and rode wave runners. We had a blast doing all 3. Lagoon safari we did with Raanuitours. What a great company! Run by a family. I was in email communication with Arietta (the mom) prior to trip to book. Note....if at all possible take the time and book excursions yourself. You save a lot of money. We payed 10,000 xpf directly and hotel was charging 14,000 xpf. That's saving about $50 per person. Anyways....trip was amazing we went out past the break, swam with 4-5 ft black tip reef sharks. A few 8-9ft lemon sharks swam deep below us. Never would I thought, but heck it's Bora Bora and what a great experience. We rode in after to shallow water and swam with more sharks and sting rays, amazing experience with the creatures. Also swam coral reef. We also went to another snorkeling spot and saw Eels. After we went to our own little private motu which I believe the Hilton has rights to and had a lunch prepared for us by her family. Steak, chix, rice, salad, fresh mango for dessert. Best lunch we had whole time lol...it was worth paying for the full day in my opinion.
The 4x4 Jeep ride was great. Also book through company if you can. Saw many sites and attractions, met some locals, and learned a lot about the people n culture of French Polynesia. Views and photos were amazing.
Wave runner we were "not allowed" to book through company had to go through hotel. It was about $350 for one ski for 2 hrs guided tour. It was a great time. We took a tour around island, saw all the hotels up close (couldn't see much of a difference from outside). We also went to a different private Motu and were explained the intricacies of a coconut and how to properly open one by our guide.
Like I mentioned above there are also kayaks you can use at resort and my wife and I took one around the small mini motu by our bungalow. Only do this if your feeling adventurous. It's not easy but it's a good time. We saw some local girls dancing to American music and great fish and enormous sea shells.
SUMMARY
We had an amazing time and we were prepared from other reviews of some small things to be aware about. Bug spray, sunscreen, food, etc... Then we took the time to plan n prepare and make our trip that much more enjoyable. We were not surprised by anything and we consider ourselves to be pretty positive, upbeat, optimistic people. I can see how some small things could bother people, but its probably the same people who complain about everything back in the states. Nothing I saw or experienced would give this Resort anything less than 5 Star. We are adding to our penny jar saving for the next time we can go to Hilton Nui in Bora Bora.

Special thanks to Trip Advisor and Hilton Bora Bora,

Mauruuru

Napoleon and Jennifer

Room Tip: Choose a room with view of Motu you can catch sunset from anywhere. And get a deep bungalow you can...
Dear Napoleon and Jennifer,
I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, your review was so detailed, I thank you for your comments posted.
Until the next time we hope you will add up in your penny jar saving and we will be pleased to welcome you back in our hidden paradise…
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were fetched at Bora bora airport and taken to the resort via their private boat which is really luxurious and nice. The water at the port was unbelievably aquamarine! It was paradise! Hilton's lobby/reception is on water, which is really cool. The ambiance reflects the culture. We were given a mango refreshment and cool towelette upon arrival and taken to our room after 5mins! Check-in was quick. We stayed at Deluxe Overwater Bungalow but it was at the far end of the resort near the Presidentials, which is a bit long walk to the restaurant and pool. We love our bungalow, from the canopy bed, to the Tahitian bathroom door, the lower deck with direct access to the water and their oversized bathtub is heaven. We get to have complimentary fruit basket and honeymoon gift of Champagne courtesy of the resort and our travel agency Custom Tahiti. Thank you to our travel agent Jackie Schlumper for arranging everything so impeccably! We opted for the half-board meal so we enjoyed eating in all their different restaurants every night to try their cuisine. The dinner in Upa upa bar was ok, the one in Iriatai has small serving, and the suckling pig I ordered was extremely salty! but the one that I liked most was our dinner in Tamure bar. It is also where breakfast is served everyday. It's a nice feeling to eat here because you can feel the sand beneath your feet. The hobbie cat, kayak and paddle boards are free of use which is really cool. Their infinity pool is divine at every angle. The only disappointment that we had is that with the transport service (golfcarts). Our bungalow is at the far end of the resort, there are nights that it rained, and we were never offered a ride in the golfcart service. They didn't have the initiative to offer a ride. If you want a ride, call the reception. There were several times that these golfcart services drove past us and didn't even offer us a ride to our room which maybe on their way in picking up another guest. But overall, we enjoyed our stay in this resort and did make our honeymoon a memorable one.

Room Tip: Don't order suckling pig at Iriatai restaurant. it was extremely salty! :(
Dear Guests,
I thank you for your comments and I will share them with the team.
I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I took in consideration your comments on our pick ups service.
Looking forward to welcome you back maybe one day in Bora Bora, the Pearl of the Pacific.
South Berwick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Let me put everyone at ease who is reviewing this website and have questions about the conditions here or the service. You will never be disappointed at Hilton Bora Bora when you take the proper perspective. The grounds are maintained daily, the rooms are cleaned twice a day, and the views will amaze you no matter how long you stay. We spent our honeymoon here for 10 days, Dec 3rd to the 13th. We were in Deluxe king overwater bungalow #336 (amazing direct view of the sunset, peacefully quiet and a little walk from the restaurants). We also had the breakfast and dinner meal plan. From the moment that we arrived till our departure, we felt like family and always comfortable. The wonderful staff always smiles and works hard to accommodate anything that you request. In our review I’ll try and highlight the perks, recommendations and what we didn’t agree with during our stay (nothing to complain about, just our perceptions).
First, you are on a Motu, a small Motu. Island life is different. They do not get hourly deliveries of food. Everything that is delivered to the resort is by boat. The staff will not run around serving you hand and foot. If you want personal servants then go somewhere else. This may not sit well with some people. It is most definitely a 5 stars of service with proper perspective. Take breakfast for instance. Stephane is the primary manager over breakfast. His smile and demeanor welcome you every day. Nothing starts the day off right better than having breakfast with him. To say that we miss breakfast with Stephane is an understatement. The staff is very mindful of how you look and how you speak. Show the staff how grateful you are to be in their culture and how much you love being on their island. You will see how their culture really is truly wonderful. The spread of food is astonishing from America, French and Asian cuisine during breakfast. There are several different al carte items that you can order (on the meal plan i.e. no charge). The eggs Benedict are insanely delicious! For lunch you have to try the Hilton burger. Lunch is usually an addition cost but completely worth it.
Dinners at Upa Upa or Irati were amazing! Upa Upa is the bar/grill and less formal cuisine. Irati is the French restaurant. Both have amazing food that you should try something different every night. The Pork BBQ is fantastic and just falls apart moist and delicious. The service is perfect and having little Poema and Vaiana as servers made every evening PERFECT. Both speak English very well and are so incredibly wonderful. They should be recognized for the personal service. We went to Irati almost every night just to see and talk with them. Tuesdays are the Polynesian BBQ. This is mandatory and an additional charge regardless of the meal plan. The food and show is well worth it. The shear amount of food is mind blowing. It was so good and the show was great with the music and dancers. During the meal there will be two ladies who have their local wares for sale. Do not miss out on what they have. The price is very good and the quality is immaculate. We bought gifts both nights we were there for the show. There is also several other restaurants in Vaitape that are available like Bloody Mary’s. We heard they were very good but were closed during our stay due to the time frame that we went.

The majority of our stay it rained. Even through the rain this resort maintained its grounds perfectly. Every day the grounds keepers were clearing off the fallen leaves and branches. They went so far as to vacuum off the residual water. Everything was cleaned and well maintained and they always said IAORANA. The rooms were huge and very clean. This isn’t the 21st century rooms but what do you really expect on a pacific island. They were still amazingly equipped and the bath room shower and tub were amazing. I recommend bringing the appropriate power outlet plugs for what you need. The front desk will have the plugs if you need if you forget. The docks and the bridges were in great shape. The A/C worked wonderfully. The snorkeling by our room was fantastic. There were so many fish and the coral was amazing. Security was amazing, I left the safe unlocked on accident and the housekeeping called security and they locked EVERYTHING up and changed the combination. It was easy to call the front desk and get back into the safe. The honesty and care of our personal belongings meant a lot.
Excursions, we went on several and highly recommend a few. The lagoon safari was awesome. A must do when you are here. Huge rays (no stingers) and sharks. Both are so graceful and provided a memory that will never be forgotten. The private meal on the king’s motu (Motu Taupo) was the perfect touch. We also went on the 4x4 tour which was wonderful. We were given a tour of the military relics and a 360 view of the entire lagoon. The pictures we took of the water and the mountains are priceless. The postcard views were exactly true. You also get to go to a black pearl market which is both informational and beautiful. We also did the 80 minute couples massage with 30 bath. This was so relaxing and fun. The bath with all the flowers was the best time to unwind and have fun. Both the masseuse’s were well trained and we never felt better. It was perfect to have the spa day close to departure date to massage out all of the hiking and snorkeling soreness. Tattoo people book early for MARAMA. He is hands down the best and the most skilled free hand tattoo artist! Expensive but so worth it!
I cannot say enough about the staff from the grounds keepers to the front desk to the managers. My wife was ill for a couple days and the manager Valentine went out of his way to provide her with homemade soup and room service. We were unable to go out to dinner. This simple gesture made the world of difference. Mr. Valentine continued to check on my wife throughout our stay while we were out and about. His level of care and dedication was parallel to none. If that isn’t enough perspective to show the 5 star level then your perspective is wrong.
If you have read this far then you understand the perspective. Stephane, Poema, Vaiana, and Valentine the people from the chefs to housekeeping keep this resort running at perfection. Each person makes this resort the perfect honeymoon. You can only take away what you bring. They were all special to us and we will never forget how they made us feel and took care of us. Open your eyes and hearts to the island and their culture and they will bend over to make your stay amazing.
Now things to bring, sunscreen, bug spray (time of year dependent), light clothes its 80 degrees all the time, money (there is so many great things to buy), open mind (travel around the island the shops farther from the docks are much cheaper), snorkel gear (they provide some too but they are cheaper quality and used by many), underwater camera is a must, batteries and chargers, extra room in your bag for gifts, sunglasses, use the grocery store to supplement lunch, and finally bring a smile it goes a long way here.
Things that we wished were changed. Every day you were required to make a reservation for dinner. The staff was accommodating if you forgot until late, but it was different. The amount of food that was not consumed after the meals is not put to good use. The locals don’t get it and the staff cannot eat it. It seems like a huge waste. On the departure the bill included the fees for the coral preservation project which is NOT mandatory but should be relayed to guest before the bill is presented. If you don’t watch the billing there are a lot of fees that should not be there. Every time that you open and move something around in the refrigerator you are automatically charged. Again, be careful with the bill. We went to the local grocery store for breads and cheeses and stored them in the fridge; subsequently we had a lot of charges for items we never used. Two free bottled waters during night turn down would be a nice change. The pool table, scrabble, ping pong equipment, and various other games were missing some pieces/equipment. The beach chairs and umbrellas have seen a lot of wear and tear and should be replaced/upgraded. Finally and most importantly, we wish to live in Bora Bora indefinitely! Overall, this was a life changing event not just a honeymoon. Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts to the entire staff. Stephane, Poema, Valentine, and our wonderful Vaiana, you made this the best experience possible!

Room Tip: Sunset view in the 300's is truly amazing!
Dear Guests Ia Orana,
I sincerely would like to thank you for your comments, your review is amazing and we were all so touched reading it.
I will make sure I pass on your comments and share your review with Stephane, Poema, Vaiana, Valentine, and all the rest…
We are so pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, hoping one day you will come back to see us and enjoy again our eggs Benedict…in our hidden paradise.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Here we stayed in an overwater bungalow, which was amazing. Our bungalow had full sun from around 11am which was great for sunbathing all day. The water was as clear as evian and great for snorkling. We ate at the main restaurant (Iriatai) every night and the food was exceptional. 3 courses were included in our package however some dishes had a nominal supplement. Service was a little slow however we were not in a hurry so this didn’t worry us. One night the restaurants are closed for the Polynesian show night. The food on the night was very average and the show was slightly cringe worthy. In hindsight we regret not ordering room service on our deck. The daily breakfast was also quite average.

Drinks at the hotel are quite expensive and there is no happy hour, so if you are coming from the main land stock up on beer and grab some spirits and wine in duty free to enjoy on your deck. We filled a sink with ice to keep our drinks cool. Grab some drinking water on the mainland too.

Great hotel and would highly recommend. If we were to return we would try the St Regis or Four Seasons for a few nights and return to the Hilton for 5/6 nights.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for sharing your comments.
I will share them with the team, and take into considerations where we do need improvement.
We will be pleased to welcome you back in our hidden paradise, hoping one day you will come back in Bora Bora.
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I feel compelled to write a review on Hilton Bora Bora. I stayed there with my family from December 26th to January 3rd. My understanding when we booked our bungalow was that this resort was a 5 star. It was by no means a 5 star, more like a 3 star at best. We were very disappointed with our stay. Bora Bora was beautiful and we had a good time in the water, but the resort, it’s food, it’s bungalow and service were not at all what we expect when we are paying well over $1000 a night.

Lets get into the issues my husband and I had. The food….. there are 2 restaurants on the resort and the 3rd is an outdoor grill with a very limited menu. First off, you had to make a reservation 24 hours in advanced to eat at these restaurants, if you didn’t your only choice for food is the out door grill where you will get eaten up by mosquitoes (even after spraying bug spray on yourself) or room service with even less choices on it. The food it self at the restaurants were uncreative, bland and really lacked any taste. Everything kind of tasted the same. This is a 5 star resort; come on their chief should be creating delicious innovative food. The whole time we were there we felt like we didn’t have one satisfying meal. The service at the restaurants was not good either, a lot of the waitresses looked mad or just not very happy. At breakfast one morning they forgot to bring my food after even reminding them twice. At one of the dinners they forgot to bring my child’s desert. Come on…. you’re a 5 start resort, unacceptable.

The bungalow….it needs some maintenance and updating. For goodness sake….need I say again, we are paying well over $1000 a night. You’re a 5 star….we had a small box TV in the lounge, it looked liked it was from the 1990s. There was a sliding room divider that didn’t work right and finally came off its hinges. The screen door couldn’t even move it was so rusted. Our fridge had a big ding on it. I really expect my room to look immaculate when I am spending that kind of money. This is just a matter of up keeping.

Next, the resort is pretty big and our bungalow is up on the hill, they had golf carts to take guest to their room or pick them up from their rooms and bring them down. Well, they just didn’t have enough of them. Some times it would take them 20 minutes to come, or longer. There were a few times when we gave up waiting and walked back to our place, like I said was up a steep hill and many flights of stairs. There was even one time when they told me that they were just to busy to pick me up and this was after I called to see where they were (15 mins had passed). Unacceptable. There should be enough carts to pick guest up with in 5 mins of asking. Again, it’s a 5 start, not a 3 star.

Now, their pool towels and snorkel equipment. Just a reminder, 5 star….unacceptable to run out of clean pool towels, I am paying a lot of money and if I need clean towels when I need them they should be there. How can you run out of towels when you’re a place that’s main and really only attractions is the water.
We had book a snorkel excursion through the Hilton (that’s a whole other story) and I got my snorkels from the hotel (the tour did not provide snorkels), we got out at the spot where we are going snorkeling, I put on my mask put my face breathed and suck in all this salt water. My snorkel was broken, I could not believe that the Hilton staff does not check their equipment. Now I am out in the middle of the ocean and my snorkel did not work. Luckily someone had an extra one I could use other wise I would have been out of luck. I paid all this money for my excursion and I came close to not being able to participate. How much does it cost to replace snorkel equipment? Once again, come on……5 star hotel, unacceptable.

There is just so many little things, the front desk didn't have change when we needed it, charging us for internet, etc, that just added up to us coming to the conclusion that we will not be staying at The Hilton in Bora Bora when we come back, because we will come back, Bora Bora is a paradise

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,
I am sorry to read that you have been disappointed with your stay.
Still I would like to thank you for your comments, as improvement will be worked on.
Rest assured that I take this seriously and that I will share your remarks with the team and make sure we do take corrective action.
Hoping one day you will come back to Bora Bora, the Pearl of the Pacific.
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A delayed review - we traveled in November, the week of Thanksgiving. There was 1 night of barely a sprinkle of rain, and the following morning the same, otherwise the weather was great. I picked up a lot of tips and advice from perusing these forums, and think some of the negative experiences people have posted about could be avoided by doing the same before traveling.

Our arrival was smooth, there was a hotel representative waiting at the airport with our names. She and a porter/boat captain picked us up in a small boat (4 other hotel guests) and took care of our luggage. At reception we were asked to provide our passports and itinerary, to show that our airport transfer was included. We arrived several hours before check in time and thought we’d have to sit a while, but within 30 minutes we were checked into our room so did not have a dreaded 4 hour wait. I asked for late check out but was told to wait until the day before our departure to ask. We stayed in a Deluxe OWB, #307. We asked about emptying out the mini bar so we could use the refrigerator and were told no problem, just call the front desk to let them know so there will be no charge. Snorkeling off the lower platform was great and there is a shower on the lower deck to rinse off the saltwater. The windows in the floor (two alongside the daybed sofa positioned as “end tables” which can be opened, and one in the outdoor deck) are nice but you really don’t see fish very well through them as it is still many feet down to water level and some of the fish are quite small. There is an electric tea kettle as well as instant coffee and tea, and a hairdryer. The outlets are two round prongs and we used a travel adapter for our electronics. Other than in your room for a fee, you can access the internet in their internet room (there is one free PC that allows internet access and printing but essentially locks out other computer functions – and uses an international keyboard which does not always type out the letter indicated).

We had breakfast & dinner included in our package. We ate at all three restaurants (I emailed in advance to request reservations for Upa Upa and Iriatai). The breakfast buffet is expansive, as is the Polynesian buffet, if you are there on a Tuesday night. Upa Upa was not very good, and there was not as much selection. Iriatai was better, but a number of items do require additional supplement fee. At all restaurants service is sometimes slow, but not a major problem.

We had one spa service – a massage and bath in our bungalow. It was great – we chose to have our massage out on our deck and in the late afternoon there was some cloud cover so with the breeze and ocean sounds it was very relaxing. We chose the Noa Noa flower bath and they really made it so beautiful! Only negative was that the masseuse set the TV on the hotel station for background music and so during the massage it repeated the 2 songs over and over again. In hindsight if I had known I would have just asked to use my ipod.

The night before departure we were given our check out info and room charges. I checked against my receipts (thank you for the advice) and everything was correct. We had an evening flight out and were not able to stay in our room for a late check out, so we choose to pay the 5000 xpf for a “transit room” – the other option is you just check out, leave luggage at the front desk, and have access to the spa for a shower. At 11am check out a porter was sent to us and transferred us and our luggage to 502, which is a bungalow on land. Here’s where I noticed a difference – 307 had an ipod dock but 502 only a CD player (I assumed all had the ipod dock but then realized that 308 had the CD player only, as I could see it through the window). For our 7pm flight we were asked to be at reception at 5pm and the shuttle boat to the airport departed at 5:30p. We had additional room charges on the final day so reviewed our charges again and everything was correct, however another couple had the unfortunate experience of a staff member adding rather than subtracting something, which could not be credited back, so they were given their money back in cash, but only with the option of xpf.

Overall, we had a great trip, completely satisfied.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have iPod docks, if you are picky you may want to ask for this.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
I would like to thank you for your comments posted, that I will share with the team.
As well rest assured that I will address the chef about the food selection and the spa manager in regards of the music used for your treatment.
Thank you again, and we look forward to maybe welcome you back one day in our hidden paradise.
Karine Peyras

Been to Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!