“Honeymoon Paradise Part 2” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   BP 502 Vaitape, 98730, French Polynesia (Formerly Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Get your 5th Night FREE
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Waterloo, Canada
“Honeymoon Paradise Part 2”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We are 30-something, honeymooners that just travelled to Tahiti September 2012. We did a 5 day stay at the Hilton Moorea and then 5 days at the Hilton Bora Bora (package through CustomTahiti.com). You can check out our review on Moorea.

We absolutely LOVED our honeymoon. Pushing any small issues aside, this was truly exotic! We paid for the exotic views, overwater bungalows and the amazing blue waters and reefs that I have not seen in the Caribbean.

Speaking to several couples, some liked Bora Bora more and others Moorea. All depends on what you prefer. Bora Bora Hilton is its own island that you must take a ferry to get to where as Moorea was a large island with several resorts. Visually it is stunning! The service and food I found to be 3-4 stars. This is skewed as we had a bad service experience over one dinner. For the most part, everything was awesome, we just preferred the Moorea service and food. We did most excursions on Moorea, so we cannot really comment on Bora Bora's. I assume they are similar.

The overwater bungalows were much larger than the ones in Moorea, but a little older in my opinion. You actually felt like you rented a cottage as they are that large. The decks were perfect for sunbathing, reading or playing cards. The lower decks were clear of coral on one side so you can jump in and go swimming, while the other side if full of coral and tonnnes of sea life!

We ate all breakfasts at the main buffet (we had a breakfast and dinner meal plan) and they were relaxing and tasty. I still prefered the selection at Moorea's breakfast. We ate dinner at the main Grill and the Iriati resaurant twice. The grill has many options and you leave full. Iriati has a more fancy atmosphere and menu. The food is tasty, but as fine dining goes, portion sizes are smaller and picky eaters may not appreciate all the food. Service is slowed as well in this location.

Overall, other than our camera dying after three days (a back-up camera is recommended..lol), we had the best vacation ever! We likely will not go back for several years due to the cost and distance, but this is a honeymoon we will never forget!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went to Bora Bora in September for our honeymoon. We had one day in Auckland and one day in Papeete (Tahiti) on the way. Auckland was ok, Tahiti was like a million other pacific islands (Vanuatu, New Cal etc) nice but nothing amazing but Bora Bora was spectacular. From the second we landed at the airport, everything was like a movie and the organization was fantastic. The Hilton staff were were friendly, diligent and attentive without being over bearing. They had obviously taken onboard the feedback about poor service at the pool etc as we never experienced it. We stayed in a deluxe over the water bungalo for 5 nights. The deluxe are same as normal in design, they are just out on a different frond and face a different direction. Doesn't sound like a big deal but we had a few days that were a bit stormy and while the front bungalows were getting pounded, we had calm waters and shelter from the wind but that was in some ways just the luck the way rhe wind was blowing. The food overall was very good. The grill was as you would expect - fairly basic but absolutely fine, especially when you consider the effort it takes to get anything there. More of a focus on local seafood would have been nice though. We went to the other two restaurants once each, which were both very nice. We used the spa on the last day which has the most amazing views of any spa I have seen in my life. They have a look out point up there is well which is amazing for
Sunsets. The length of time we stayed I think was perfect. We managed to visit Vitape (Main town on Bora Bora) one day, scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking using the resort's gear. If the weather has been better we would have fitted in a bit of sailing but no big loss. After 5 days it felt like we had been on holiday for months and we were so relaxed. Best week of leave we have ever taken!!

• Stayed September 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I must say, I had always dreamed of staying in Bora Bora in an over-water bungalow, but had no idea reality would actually exceed my dreams. By far, this was the most relaxing vacation of my life. If I had one recommendation, I would advise traveling for a full 8-9 days, as it takes almost 24 hours to reach the island, and you cannot check into your room at this hotel until 2pm. This, after traveling from SFO to LAX, from LAX to the big island of Tahiti, from Tahiti to Bora Bora, and then from the airport, by boat, to the hotel. LOTS of traveling. But ALL worth it.

When we got to the hotel, we were marveling at the fact that there were actual coconuts laying around on the sand where they had fallen from the trees. At that point, we knew we were a long way away from San Francisco and stressing over parking places. We were actually on vacation! Bartender? Pina Colada!!

Bora Bora as a destination is well worth all of the travel. It's the most relaxing place I have ever been. While service at the hotel was very French (i.e. relaxed- Maybe I should say service was very "island"?), the room was outstanding. We had end tables that looked directly down into the ocean below us, and you could open the glass on top of them and feed the fish below. We had two decks outside of our room: one with loungers and a table. where we could sunbathe, and another, lower deck that you could jump right off of and into the ocean and a nifty outdoor shower for when you got out of the water. There was a gigantic, by SF standards, walk-in shower and an awesome soaking tub that was a real treat after stressful days of doing nothing.

All around our room were reefs, and snorkeling equipment was free, so we snorkeled every day and when ever we felt like it which was blissful. There were also kayaks that we used daily. They were also free, and the water is so shallow and calm, you could kayak to other islands or even around our resort's island. The last day we were there, we kayaked to another small island, and I battled it out with a hermit crab who had the most beautiful shell I had seen on the trip. The crab won.

If there were any drawbacks to the location of the hotel, I would have to say location: it was on its own island. On a positive note, the beaches at the resort were never crowded (though there was hardly ANY reason to leave your room), and we could always get a seat at the restaurants and bars. The location definitely gave you a little bit of added privacy, but also meant that if you wanted to go to the main town, you had to ride a boat over, and the schedule was always a little wonky when compared with when we wanted to head over. Maybe one boat an hour, but then, later in the day, only one boat every two hours. Everything in the main town shuts down early, so you could really get stuck over there with little to do if you didn't plan it right.

The other drawback, though hardly the hotel's fault, was that everything is SUPER expensive. Personally, I am a Diet Pepsi girl, but there was nothing but Diet Coke no matter where we went. I would have paid $100 for a Diet Pepsi, but no go. So Diet Coke it was, and each Diet Coke, in a can by the way, was around $5. So I spent an absolute fortune getting caffeinated each day. I know I probably spent $60 a day on soda. I could have probably gotten the same at home for $5? If it didn't make me sick to my stomach, I would have had coffee. Unless you want fruit, rum or coconuts, everything on the islands is imported and it shows in the price. With that said, it already costs a ton to get there, so what's a little bit more to eat and drink? It IS a destination after all.

My other criticism of the hotel was the late check in time, after so much lengthy traveling and the lack of personal service. You get to the island around 8am completely exhausted from traveling so much, and no one tells you the room is not going to be ready until early afternoon. Some guy greets you, asks for your passport, asks you to fill out some paperwork, gives you a shot glass of fruit juice, and then leaves. So we sat in the lobby for about an hour "waiting" on our room (and our passports) expecting the guy to come back any minute. Finally, we went to the front desk and found out the real deal. Wish he'd just said something when we got there. We spent the next five hours with our shoes off, with drinks in our hands and with not a care in the world (except for when our room would be ready). And then you get your room, and.....well, you pretty much forget the six hour wait because its beauty is jawdropping!!! And you have so much privacy and it is so relaxing, you almost don't care about the horrible check in experience. Honestly, best hotel room ever. And free boat trips, snorkeling and kayaking pretty much made up for whatever service they lacked.
Bora Bora I highly recommend and would go back tomorrow if I could. It truly is an ultimate dream vacation. And I AM planning on staying at the Hilton again, just in case you were wondering.

Room Tip: definitely splurge for an over-water bungalow. you do NOT want to be stuck in the main hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Hilton Bora Bora was absolutely spectacular. My husband and I are teachers and this was a once in a lifetime trip that we had been saving for. We chose the Hilton because we had seen solid reviews of it online via TripAdvisor. Needless to say, this resort was wonderful and we preferred it to the Moorea location we also stayed at.
The scenery at this location is amazing. Several times we had herds of stingray and manta ray swim around our bungalow. The water is crystal clear and wonderfully full of life! The hike to the “million dollar view” on property was my favorite, and I will never forget that image.
We had the partial meal plan, dinner and breakfast. Well worth it because without it, you have to pay for the ferry to bring you back to the main island. Also, this Hilton let us order tap water at dinner; Moorea would not allow it and made you purchase bottled water. Like many Americans we met, we would eat a big breakfast and then sneak some rolls, peanut butter, and jelly out with us for lunch (staff never seemed to mind or give you a hard time).
Our bungalow was gorgeous and always clean, the grounds lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed our “3 bridges” walk everyday (we were on the far end of the resort, near the huge penthouses, so we had to cross 3 separate bridges every morning when we went to and from breakfast).
I cannot say enough about this resort. It truly made our trip to French Polynesia after being disappointed on Moorea. It is well worth the money for a once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: Definitely choose an over the water bungalow. You should not go to Bora Bora without indulging in t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was our second time back to Bora Bora, but first time staying at the Hilton Bora Bora, and I must admit that I'm constantly looking for a way to get back to the island and to this hotel. My husband and I looked at all the hotels while we were in Bora Bora and nothing compared as well to the Hilton Nui Resort. We had an over the water bungalow but any and all bungalows have their charm. The marine life surrounding the hotel is fabulous- you don't need to go any further than the shores. The hotel staff was awesome! And the rooms excellent, especially the bathroom (women, you'll understand once you see these spectacular rooms).

Room Tip: Get the room facing the back towards the island. The view is awesome!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our Anniversary here. We stayed in an deluxe owb (327) and the room/location was perfect. I really don't understand why anyone would have anything to complain about. The staff was amazing. Everyone always greeted us with a smile. They even sent us a gift with a lovely note when we allowed a staff member to go under our bungalow to retrieve a sandal that one of the guest dropped in the water. Now that is definitely going over and beyond their duties. Breakfast buffet was great. Lunch by the pool was quick and efficient. Dinner was perfect! My husband is already planning our next trip there. I really can't wait to go back.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Maybe the best way to review this resort is to provide pros and cons and then tips at the end.

Pros:

1. Staff service was really good. Considering that there was always a communication barrier, the staff was friendly and attentive.
2. The resort was beautiful and nicely landscaped!! They did a great job keeping the grounds tidy and clean.
3. The rooms (at least our room) were well maintained and clean. The bathroom was spacious, and the bed and pillows were so comfortable.
4. They had (free to use) dvds, snorkeling equipment (see tip #6), kayaks, stand-up paddle, hobbie cat, paddle boats.

Cons:

1. Excursions were expensive!
2. Food was expensive. I asked for water and should have specified tap water, but instead, got a $7 Evian bottled water.
3. Extra charges - supplementaries. This was confusing because we never really understood what we were being charged at the end of our meal. (see tip #1)
4. We felt we were nickeled and dimed for things. (ex. $6 for an instant coffee after having paid $300 for a dinner we were hijacked into - see tip #5)
5. Instant coffee and bad coffee creamer in the bungalows. We would have expected "5-star" amenities.

Tips:

1. Keep a record of your purchases and reconcile your bill. We were charged a breakfast when it should have been complimentary with our Hilton Honors status.
2. If you want to save money, take the FREE Air Tahiti boat from the airport to town (Vaitape), then catch the Hilton boat from Vaitape to the resort (about $3-4 US one way) - pick up and drop off is all in the same area so it's really convenient. Hilton's boats run every hour and you can always walk around the shops nearby until the boat arrives. Otherwise, you would pay around $90-100 US (round trip) if Hilton picks you up at the airport. You can do the same going back to the airport (Hilton boat into Vaitape then Air Tahiti boat to airport - just note the Air Tahiti boat departure time and get there a bit early. We were told Air Tahiti boat departed at 5:40pm and just happened to get there early and people were boarding. And the boat left well before 5:40pm!!
3. Go to Chin Lee's grocery when you're in Vaitape (walking distance from boat pick-up/drop-off area) and pick up basic necessities, snacks, and water as it is more expensive on the resort.
4. Bring your own wine/spirits if you have room in your luggage.
5. If you're not interested in the buffet dinner/Polynesian show that Hilton puts on once a week (Tuesday night when we were there), then make plans to go into town for dinner (though boat rides are more expensive at night). All the restaurants are closed at the resort and your only option for dinner is the buffet and show - around $300 US per couple!
6. If you plan to do a lot of snorkeling, then bring our own mask.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!