“Honeymoon in May 2012” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
Atlanta, Georgia
“Honeymoon in May 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It was seriously like a 10 day dream. Le Meridien and the St. Regis have the best views of the island hands down. The "cheaper" accommodations either look to the ocean or to other hotels. We stayed in an OWB (not the premium ones) and our view was still wonderful & the room was suburb. I read a lot trip advisor before going and the advice was spot on. Here are some I'm really we paid attention to.
- ladies, you will need nothing more than a flat pair of flip flops and a pair of running shoes in case you want to do any boating trips or work out in the gym. Bringing more shoes is a waste of space in your suitcase and you won't wear them.
- Tours: we did the private snorkeling tour with BBQ, private half day deep sea fishing and two hour jet ski tour. All were amazing but if you can only afford one do the private snorkeling BBQ trip. It's unbelievable! We set all of out tours (except the jet ski) in advance before going. Very easy and saved money. We went through Patricks group for BBQ trip.
- Buy liquor at the airport for your room. That alone saved us a lot of money. We also took a day trip to the main island and stocked up on water and snacks.
- bring rafts! It was so fun to be able to jump off our OWB into the ocean and relax on the raft. Target has really small ones we put into our checked luggage. We then left them there. My husband really liked that I brought goggles as well.
- Make a reservation at the French restaurant on the island before you go! It was the best meal of our vacation but its hard to get last minute reservations.
- hotel food was great but expensive. Most people end up getting a sandwich by the pool and skipped breakfast or ate a granola bar packed from home. The breakfast buffet is $40 per person.
- Pack sunscreen and bug spray. Bugs were not a problem when we were there but we had it just in case.
- Spa: I got one massage and it was delightful. It takes place in an OWB so you hear the ocean. Not sure if there's an actual spa.

Side note: we saw a wedding take place on the beach. The couple was eloping. It was so cool!! Great idea if that's what you're looking to do.

it was a lot of money but worth it. Best trip ever!!

Room Tip: All the OWB are amazing. If you can afford it go with the premium OWB.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Lustenau, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

For me BoraBora was for years an ultimate symbol of luxury vacation. I surely expected to be nothing less than amazing from the start to the last moment..Ha. Well, someone can say it was our fault because we arrived off season. Well, yes, the weather was bad (rained every half an hour) but this could be easily off set by factors like service, accommodation and food.
The accommodation was adequate, we had a lovely beach bungalow of decent size, with direct access to the inner lagoon and with nice decorum. As this was part of the bigger beach villa we actually got additional small room for our son to sleep in, place that was in fact a connecting corridor to the villa but locked up from one side. So accommodation wise - nothing to complain about.
Service - hmm, I really don't know what is the reason for local staff demeanor, maybe it is in their culture that they find life very serious and heavy to bear or maybe they were really not happy with the job, I have no idea. But except the Spanish girl who welcomed us on arrival and was warm and smiling and welcoming, every other member of the staff that was local was deadly serious. To the point that I was really reluctant to ask them about smth. or for anything. The feeling I was getting was that they must do their job but they are oh-so-tired- and fed up with these guests. Again, maybe I was oversensitive but even my husband agreed that its hard to see any smile on their faces.
Food - and here is my main source of discontent and also irritation. It was a joke. The hotel is supposed to have 2 restaurants operating, one with buffet and one a la carte. What no one mentioned on arrival was that the a la carte restaurant is closed due to renovation. Well, OK, so one can assume that they have made possible to order a la carte from the other restaurant. No. Not the case. You could either take a buffet or some of the preselected menus of three dishes from the menu. The buffet was less than average. We came first night not really hungry, thinking of one dish per head plus desert. We only got our wish after loud complaining to our host waiter (very nice Swiss guy) who quite quickly capitulated and told us we can order from the menu what we want. That didn't change the fact that the choice of food was lousy. Seemed to us that not only the other restaurant was closed but they sent cooks for vacation as well. We started talking with other couple sitting next to us, they were on their honeymoon and told us that any chance for decent food is either room service or trip by boat to St. Regis Hotel on the neighboring motu. Since our son was going to bed by eight and the last boat was leaving by 7, we didn't get a chance of going to St. Regis and for the next 6 days we were having all our dinners room-serviced. No romantic dinners for us. And although much better than the restaurant menu, the room service menu was limited.

I understand that its an amazing location that makes Bora Bora special and hanging on the food issue might not seem the right angle but seriously, when paying 600 dollars for the cheapest room you not only expect amazing views but impeccable service and wonderful food. Instead, it looked like a trap for everyone who prepaid the all-inclusive trip. We did not prepaid but it did not change the situation for us either.
If I was to go to Bora Bora again I would stay in Four Season or St. Regis for a change (not sure though if it wouldn't be the same?). But most probably I will not be going again and this is I think the reason the hotel does not really care, very few guests ever come back so why bother?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stamford, Connecticut, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon, we spent 7 nights at Le Meridien in Bora Bora. The grounds of this hotel were absolutely beautiful, the sky and the water are the most incredible shades of blue. We stayed in an overwater bungalow, this is a must. We booked through pacific for less and worked with Jennifer. She was fantastic, helped us work within our budget and make sure we knew all the fun things to do. I received many quotes from many different companies, and this was the best price by far. Jennifer and the other Pacific for Less staff were always available to answer any questions and were friendly and honest.
The activities at this hotel were great, make sure you use the kayaks and the snorkel gear. The staff at the activities desk made sure everything went smoothly. They even remembered us by name. We did the shark and ray feeding excursion which was so much fun! Make sure you buy an underwater camera, it doesn't cost any more than a regular digital camera. We got great pictures and videos with all of the sealife! One great feature of the hotel was the sea turtles, you can even swim with them and a guide for a small fee. It was definitely worth it! Pools were beautiful, staff was very friendly and accommodating. The location couldn't be any better!!!
The one thing that I really did not like about this hotel is the food. Breakfast was not too bad, was a lot of options. Luckily we had breakfast included in our package, but if not it would have been over 40 bucks a person!!' definitely not worth it. Not many options for lunch, we shared a chicken panini at the pool bar most days, got sick of it really fast!!! The dinner menu at th restaurant is extremely overpriced, we went out for most meals. The boat ride to the island was convenient. We ate at villa mahana, Mai Kai, st James and lagoon. Definitely eat off of the hotel as much as you can! If you hve to eat there, the
Miki miki bar has pretty good food.
Despite the food, I am very happy we stayed at Le meridien. I'm still smiling thinking about our trip!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Woodmere, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

There is almost nothing I can say that is negative about the hotel....It's gorgeous, the Staff are amazing, the views are breathtaking, the sea turtle sanctuary is great, the free boat ferries are awesome, the free kayak/outrigger canoe rentals fun but difficult!
The one terrible downside is that the hotel food is just AWFUL and overpriced. We don't mind paying $100 pp for dinner, but we expect it to be delicious. It took us 1 1/2 days to realize every meal would be inedible, but it was a blessing in disguise because it forced us to venture out to find food on the main island which was, hands down, 100x better than anything you'll get at the hotel until they fix this problem.
The locals told us that since the restaurant management changed, that this was a problem they continued to hear about from the guests, but hopefully the hotel will take care of it before your trip.
Either way, we suggest going to the island and checking out Kaina Hut for dinner or Restaurant Fare Manuia, Snack Matira for lunch, Aloe Cafe for breakfast....We also heard St. James was a good spot but never made it there.
Otherwise, this hotel is awesome and our rooms were a work of art.

Room Tip: Try to get an end bungalow. We were in the last bungalow #336 and it was great. Even though it is a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Le Meridien started on teh wrong foot for us, as soon as we arrived, we had a snafu with breakfast ... that said, the rest of the trip went very well and overall we were extremely impressed with the resort.

I think I can explain the snafu with...this is a French colony, and there still seems to be some (albeit slight) tension between the french and the native. You can guess who are in which type of jobs at the resort. The native islanders are very nice...and the french are too but French niceness< most other countries. Additionally, French is the primary language--English is the third language (or Spanish), and the rustiest for most of the staff. Had I known this (or bothered to look--my fault), this might have made the communication a bit easier.

Things I love about Le Meridien:
-They have the nicest boats.
-The food was surprisingly amazing, although we went for more local-ish types of food...but we are foodies. Please try the mushroom risotto with beet reduction if you are going soon!
-I have to follow Gluten-Free diet restrictions. This hotel was as accomodating as they could possibly be. The menu items were each marked for whichever allergens they contained. Why don't US restaurants do this?
-the Lagoon! It is amazing
-Sea Turtle sanctuary!
-Free Catamaran rides (just you and your honey)
-The bungalows have obviously been recently remodeled and they are great. The doors to the outside open up completely. and I believe I would've taken one of those mirrors home with me if I could have. I will be trying to figure out how to make one myself soon (made of driftwood).

What we did right:
-Room 232!!! Room 232!! we had both an end bungalow, unobstructed views of Mt. Otemanu, and the lagoon. We had enough water to jump in and not hit bottom, but could still clearly see the bottom. We saw all kinds of scary fish, but we still had fun exploring and jumping in. Our travel agent requested a handful of rooms and this one had to be the best. Some of the other end bungalows do not have 2 walls of views due to all the bungalows having the same exact layout.
-Had dinner a la carte instead of the buffet. for 2 a la carte is ~80 USD, vs ~250 USD for the buffet. I don't really even want to pig out when I'm frolicking around in a bikini all day anyway. Additionally, we left satisfied and happy every night from a la carte dinner. The one night we did the buffet...it was good but definitely not worth the price difference.
-Use your minibar! So much cheaper than the bar? Not sure how that worked...but it was, and they refill everyday.
-At the bar, do not order a cocktail if you want a mixed drink! just order the mixed drink. additionally if you order the juice (or whatever) separately from the alcohol it's WAY cheaper, around $5/drink. Plus, the juices are amazing there. Who knew guava juice & vodka tastes so good? Cocktails are >$20 each, and they are strong but weren't to my liking. To be honest, we didn't do too much drinking on this trip, but we spent two afternoons/early evenings having fun at the pool bar/pool with some others...good times, great view.
-Shark & ray tour...husband wanted to do this and I was pretty scared...but it was amazing. And all I wanted was a tour around the island in a boat...that by itself was ~$300 USD pp, but I believe the shark & ray tour was $90 USD pp...so we got the island boat tour within the shark and ray...good thing we didn't go with what I wanted!
-Island 4x4 Safari. This was a last minute thing for us on the day we left. Wish we would've done it the first day. You go around the island in a land rover, up some of the mountain and get a tour of town. Our driver was so nice, she made an ATM stop for us, and dropped us off for lunch in the Matira Beach area. Ate at roulotte matira--fantastic little place.. Then we cabbed it back for ~$20 USD to the Le Meridien boat dock.
-Go Kayaking! It's free and if you go around back (to the left side if you're coming into the resort), you'll see all sorts of wildlife.

What we could've done better:
-Do the 4x4 trip early if you want a tour of the island (land). It gives you a better sense of where you are and how to get around.
-Gone to eat more on the main island for dinners. We only went once (Bloody Mary's), but it was wayyy easier than I thought it would be. We saved it for like the last night, so that was a bad call. A lot of the restaurants pick you up at the boat dock that Le Meridien gives free rides too.
-Used more sunscreen! We are both still peeling, and we are not pale people (but we are caucasion). Also, we tried to give ourselves breaks from the sun...this didn't work as we just wanted to be outside the whole time.

All in all, this was an amazing honeymoon and we were very happy we spent the money to get there. We used Chloe at Millenium travel based out of Chicago, she made it easy. they do business as tahiti travel planners, though. (gotahiti.com)

Room Tip: 232 was great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Recently enjoyed paradise at Le Meridien Bora Bora. The overwater bungalows have an enormous glass panel floor with a perfect view of the lagoon! We spotted many colorful fish and a large sting ray just outside of our bungalow. Beds are comfy, service is friendly and view is spectacular! Just make sure to close your curtains all the way in the evening as the sun rises very early here... we woke up at 5 am with the sunshine!

You are greeted at the airport by a resort representative and then whisked onto a boat to head over to Le Meridien's private motu (islet surrounding the main island of Bora Bora). The resort has a great view of the main island's mountain and the water is a million shades of blue. The beauty of this destination is unsurpassed!

If you stay here, or even if you are just visiting Bora Bora and staying elsewhere, make sure to visit the Turtle Rescue & Rehabilitation Center at Le Meridien. It is amazing! They nurse sea turtles back to health or raise the babies and once they are healthy & mature, the team of marine biologists releases them back into the open ocean. The biologists are happy to give you a tour of the center and you can even pay a little extra to actually swim with the turtles yourself!

Do not forget to bring a LOT of sunscreen because it gets really hot here. I also recommend a visit to the nearby lagoonarium (on another motu), where you can swim with sharks and rays and enjoy a delicious picnic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Amazing stay in this wonderful hotel. First one in Bora Bora with over water bungalows. Well renovated in 2010. Magnificent view on the Mount Otemanu.
Nice room with glass floor, overlooking fishes and Eagle rays. Great experience at the Sea Turtle Sanctuary.
Unforgettable stay.

4.0 of 5 stars 721 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora

Been to Le Meridien Bora Bora? Share your experiences!