“Exceeded our expectations...our honeymoon wouldn't have the same without our stay on the Sofitel Private Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort

Save 25%!
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Bora Bora
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at 3 different hotels on our honeymoon in French Polynesia, and our experience here was completely unique and irreplaceable. Yes, I enjoyed the Sofitel in Moorea, but I think I would have enjoyed the Hilton as well; I loved the luxurious OWBs at IC Thalasso in Bora Bora, but I think Four Seasons and St. Regis would have been just as nice.

But the Sofitel Private Island? I don't think any place else can offer what this place offers. I get such warm and fuzzy feelings when I think about our stay here!

First off, the beauty and serenity of the private island was evident when we first arrived by boat; the beautiful sound of the ukulele greeted us at the dock. The hotel staff welcomed us warmly, and gave us a quick tour of the grounds and our room. We really appreciated the sincerity and the personal attention of the staff.

The room was a bit dark and the furnishings seemed worn, but the deck offered such breathtaking, unobstructed views of Bora Bora that we barely stayed in our rooms. We were lucky to get one of the end OWBs (room 114) because it was relatively private and I felt comfortable enough to sunbathe au naturel. ;) The water in the lagoon was gorgeous and varied in color depending on the depth. The snorkeling on the other side of the island at the Coral Gardens was phenomenal....we were surrounded by fish galore! Contrast this to our stay at IC Thalasso where the water was a bit murky, there was very limited coral and sea life, and there were tons of OWBs. IC Thalasso also felt a bit desolate because we didn't see many people in the common areas - and the space was made to accommodate a lot more people. At the Sofitel motu, even though we also hardly saw anyone else, it felt charming instead and as if this entire island was built for us.

We stayed here for 3 nights. Everyday, we woke up early, ate at the breakfast buffet, did excursions or snorkeled/sunbathed all day until sunset, and then showered and got ready to go to the main island for dinner. I loved how you can get to and from the main island by on-demand boat--only a few minutes' ride away. At other hotels, transportation to the main island is either limited (only a few rides a day) or you're charged $50-$75 roundtrip for the ride. At the Sofitel Motu, it was free because it was a necessary service (the restaurant is not open for lunch or dinner). You can eat at Sofitel Marara Beach, or opt to dine at local restaurants with free pick-up service like we did. We went to Bloody Mary's, Kaina Hut and La Villa Mahana. We highly recommend Kaina Hut...the food was innovative and delicious!

Even though we loved this hotel, we recognize that it does has its negatives and it's not for everyone. The place is not luxurious...so if that's very important to you, you may be disappointed if this is the only place you're staying at. The service/amenities are limited, which is somewhat to be expected because you are on a small island which only houses a few guests comparatively speaking. Also, there were several issues with the room (fridge didn't get cold, light wasn't working, mattress was horrible, etc). Most of these things they addressed in a timely manner, so it wasn't a huge deal. The only thing that still gets to me is the mattress...it has long since passed its prime, and was sagging so much in the middle that I didn't even need a pillow because my head was already elevated compared to my body. In addition, there was no comforter provided...just a thin sheet and a heavy blanket in the closet....so I can't say that I slept all that well. Somehow I managed to overlook all this though, simply due to the peaceful feeling I obtained when I was there - where nothing existed except me, my new partner in life, and the beautiful nature surrounding us. That feeling is priceless!

I think Sofitel Private Island is a hidden gem!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

An absolutely beautiful place to vacation! Very peaceful and tranquil, which is incredibly hard to find. Well worth the money to have the perfect spot in Bora Bora. It's less crowded than the other resorts like St. Regis, Four Seasons, Intercontinental, and even the other Sofitel.

Me and my wife stayed there for one week for our honeymoon, and it was magnificent! We enjoyed eating lunch on our patio and feeding the fish. We also loved snorkeling, and highly recommend the Eco Tour that takes you out to see black-tip reef sharks and sting rays. Awesome! Please be considerate of your neighbors, which are mostly (if not all) comprised of honeymooners and couples. If you don't want to 100% peace and quiet, then you should look at going somewhere busier like Hawaii or Florida.

PROS:
Very quiet and peaceful
Close to Tiare Market where you can pick up groceries for room
Room is very nice with Cherry hardwoods
Mini-fridge in room for your groceries if you want
Friendly staff that will get you whatever you want, including wine glasses ;)
Best location for snorkeling, as the prime spots are within one mile radius of your bungalow!
Easy access to the main land via boat
No bugs, which you will find on the main land

CONS:
Restaurant only serves brunch, which is delicious
European meals, so don't expect pancakes and McDonalds (as a point I love the European fair, but some might not be prepared for it)
Med-high cost for airport transfer and brunch, but we were able to get included for free with our travel agent (worth requesting up front)
Visa makes the world go round, so make sure to have Visa or cash only

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Rocklin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Bora Bora was great, our room was great, OWB #51, food and water expensive, all over the Island, especially at the hotel $75 per person, all resturants will provide a ride to their place with 15 minute notice, Fare Manuia great, right down the street, walking distance, not so great atmospere but good french polynesian food, $50 each, Maitai Polynesia was great, walking distance, can get a hamburger, $40 each, and you can eat in the sand, on the beach, La Bounty was the cheapest and it was OK, within walking distance $70 for two people, Kaina Hut, had to get a ride, great atmosphere and delicious food, mostly french $50 each, Bloody Mary's needed a ride, it does provide great atmosphere sandy floor sitting on coconut tree stumps, all grilled fish and meats, $55 each.

For entertainment, must do 4X4 safari and the shark and snorkle tour but the best experience was kayaking to the private island and swimming in the coral gardens for free! A must do.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms were cleaned 2 times a day. The views from this hotel were excellent, great location, close to everything needed, I recommend.
The snorkling is excellent!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Mountain View, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Sofitel but there are a few things I think they could do to make the stay better. The welcome to the resort was amazing. You arrive by boat (the resort is on an island) and there were two ladies there to meet us. They took us to a beautiful patio where they had drinks and damp, wonderfully scented towels to refresh us. The view from the patio was beautiful. They then took us to our room and gave us a tour which was nice. Overall I liked the room and a nice bonus was the espresso maker. The lagoon underneath the rooms was also pretty (a little murky when you swim in it). There is some good snorkling near the hotel (go behind the island to the left of the hotel, towards the reef and you might find eagle rays) but there is not great snorkling right underneath the rooms.

The reason I rate Sofitel a 3 is because of the service. Many of the people were friendly and helpful but there just didn't seem to be enough of them. I should mention I loved the two bell men that I met. They were helpful and had great personalities. We also really liked the manager, he was friendly and helpful. Interestingly neither he nor the other two top level leaders of Sofitel (we met two others casually while we were there) ever asked us what was great about Sofitel and what they should do better. To me every manager should ask that of their guests. Two not so positive incidences with the staff do stand out in my mind. One is when we took a canoe and flipped it (our fault, I realize) but our underwater camera and snorkle gear all fell out into the water. I swam to the front desk for help and they said there was nothing they could do to help us and oh by the way I needed to go to my room so maintenance could fix my fan. What!?! I was obviously more worried about my camera than my fan at the time. Anyway, another guest helped us and we retrieved it (it had fell into 20 ft of water). Afterwards we did get our fan fixed but we had to call 5 times to get this done. And by the way to get anything fixed you need to be in your room, that's what you want to do on your vacation, wait in your room. :)

The only other negative on this hotel is the food and drinks. The drinks at the motu bar where not very good and the drinks at the beach resort were average. The food at both places was pretty average and expensive (except for the chocolate croissants at breakfast...they were pretty great).

To sum it up...the island was nice and private; the views were great; the Sofitel needs more staff or they need to better utilize them.

One more thing, while we were in Sofitel we took a jeep tour with Vavau 4X4 Adventures. Patrick was our guide. We really enjoyed it. Patrick took us to some beautiful views and shared great stories and facts about the islands. He also dropped us off at a nice restaurant after the tour and waited while we ate so he could drop us back off at our hotel. His e-mail is [--].

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

We stayed at the private motu for 3 nights and it was the longest three nights ever.

After spending three nights at the intercontinental Le Moana we had been booked to stay three nights at the sofitel marrara private motu. We were excited about the idea of being on a private beach for a few days of our honeymoon.

it started of nice, when we arrived onthe boat transfer there was a local blowing a horn and then he proceeding to playing the drums and singing. we were supposed to be greeted by a staff member but since we arrived with guests who had already checked in and we were in our summer clothes the staff member welcomed someone else instead. The lady told them that she was already a guest of the hotel and we introduced our selves to the staff member. They had some wet towels waiting for us. as we walked up the pier she presented us with two cold trpical fruit juices. they were nice.
She took us straight to our room without showing us the reception and left us with some forms we needed to fill out. She also informed us that the restuarant in the hotel was only going to be open that night and closed for the rest of the week so if we wanted food we would have to take the boat transfer back to the beach resort. In compensation we were given two free cocktail vouchers each. Not sure if this is normally the case.

we stayed in an over water bungalow - superior which was relatively large. had a big bathroom. deck was covered which was nice but we found that the bungalows were too close to each other so we had little or no privacy and they were also very close to the walkway so we could hear every person who walked down it.

There is not much beach area on the motu and the sand is very shelly, so you cant walk on it bare foot. its not very nice. the water on this side of bora bora also had lots of coral and again shelley sand so it was virtually impossible to walk or swim without reef shoes. There were lots of fish in the area though. all we had to do was throw some bread into the water and a swarm of fish would appear. we even saw a couple of baby sharks in the shallow water. You definitely would not want your children swimming in water with sharks.

Althought there were no insects in the room, i saw a number of geckos inside the hut. a four star hotel should not have lizards inside their huts. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed ever. there was a matess topper on top of the mattress which had duck feathers but it felt like we were sleeping on straws and pencils the feathers were not removed from the wings. on the second night we asked for the matress topper to be removed. they kindly removed it however the mattress was worse than the matress topper. i guess we know why they had the mattress toppper in the first place. ALso if you are going to stay here bring your own pillows... The three nights that we were there our sheets were not changed and there was no sign we could put on the bed to ask for the sheets to be changed and the towels were also reused even if we threw them on teh ground to be changed. The mini bar was also empty. this was a pain since there was no restuarant open on the motu. Internet was not free and the tv only had one english channel - CNN... needless to say after 6pm all we did was watch the news. There was also a glass table in the room where you could see the water.. this was pointless. there were never any fish and we couldnt slide the top off so that we could throw bread in the water to attract the fish. We found the huts at intercontinential much much better.. (i will be writing a review for them soon). we also had a cofee machine that didnt work and when we tried to turn it own it leaked water all over the table.. oh i nearly forgot to mention all the spider webs on the roof of the hut.. spiderwebs are nto soemthign you want to look at just before you go to sleep.

each hut also had its own balcony. we didnt like to walk bare foot on ours since there was seagull poop all over it. which is a shame. we had been at bora bora for 4 days and the first time we saw seagulls was at the sofitel.Our hut number 124 only ever got direct sun for a couple of hours in the morning. Ask for a hut facing the sofitel beach resort to have sun all day. if you like to lay out in the sun. there is no pool on the motu and lots of mosquitos.. dont forget your mosquito spray.

the restuarant on the motu was not so bad. They have a set menu so you dont have much choice and the entree is a selection of raw meat which they fail to mention on the menu. The entree was disgusting, the main was not so bad. this time when i asked for very very very well done they listened.

The restuarant at the beach resort was a little better, buffet style.. On the second night they had a dance show that went for about 30 mins. that was entertaining.

over all Bora bora is a beautiful amazing place. we truly enjoyed our experience there on our honeymoon. activisites we did included - swimmign with the sharks and stingrays which softel organised for us. and a 4x4 tour of the island. this was amazing.. we recommend both activities. but you cant go to bora bora without doing the 4x4 tour.

Food is ridiculously expensive in bora bora as with pretty much everything.. the locals dont pay tax to the governement so everything they work for they get to keep.. to compensate the government has a 15% tax on everything!! there is even bed tax!! which is tax for spending the night in bora bora!! expect to pay abotu 30$ for a cheese burger. 6$ for a can of coke and about 100$ per head for a buffet (breakfast / lunch / dinner) excluding drinks.. cocktails cost about $20 each and a fruit juice costs about 12$. there is a store 5 mins away from the sofitel beach resort you can buy snacks much cheaper than you would find at the resort there but this is still not cheap. Also make sure you go to Bloody Marys for dinner one night... ask your hotel to book a reservation for you. the restuarant have shuttle buses that pick you up and return you to the hotel. the food we have at bloody marys was the best food we had during our trip. a steak costs about 50-70$ its not any more expensive than the restuarants at the resorts.

we spent about 3000$ for 8 nights on food and and the tours.
Anyway there are much much nice resorts than the sofitel in Bora bora and much more value for money. This hotel is not a 4 star, it borders being a 3 star hotel and if you plan to stay here.. stay on the beach and not on the motu.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

...was good, the airport pick up was prompt and the staff pleasant. Check in was smooth and the room seems clean, tidy, and the amenities seem adequate - LOVE the coffee machine. The view from the bungalow is fantastic despite the lousy weather (Feb/Mar is the wet season), the surrounding quiet, beautiful corals scattered around the bungalows and the private island seem well kept.

My first mistake was that I failed to check the operating time of the hotel's restaurant. On our first night there, we headed over to the restaurant at 8.50pm, after a 10 minutes wait for the boat, to find that the restaurant is closed. The waiter asked us to head over to Hurricane Bar as the kitchen is still serving tapas.

After placing our order the barmaid informed us the kitchen is closed, she apologised but did not cross her mind to inform us that the neighbouring Novotel sister resort's restaurant is still open (till 9.30pm). We went to bed hungry.

That night, before going to sleep, we happened to flip to CNN Channel and found out about the Chilean earthquake, also from CNN we found out about the tsunami warning issued for the Pacific. CNN, being the "international news channel" it is, failed to mention what time the tsunami will reach French Polynesia, focusing on Hawaii instead; so we called the hotel's reception, first at 1am, was told not to worry and that there is no tsunami warning. Having never experienced a tsunami warning before, we felt particularly vulnerable, especially in a foreign surrounding in an over-the-water bungalow.

After waiting around for more news on CNN, which failed to mention French Polynesia, we went to the reception at the Motu at 3am hoping to get some information. There were nobody in the building, the computer was on and anyone could had access the computer to the hotel's system! Anyway, we used the reception phone to call the reception (!), the same fellow answered the phone, repeating the same, "don't worry, go back to bed, there is no tsunami in Bora Bora, hahaha..."

In the end my husband obtain the information by sending sms to a friend in Europe! The tsunami should arrive in French Polynesia at 8.10. Sensing no action from the hotel about this, we planned to get the 6.30am (first) boat to the mainland. At 6am, semi-panicky hotel staff came knocking on our door informing us of the evacuation. The giant wave never came close to the hotel but we found the attitude unacceptable, the assistant manager who was with us at the Motu seem indifference when we informed her of the response we got from the reception. Very arrogant.

Apart from this unfortunate experience, I also found that our bungalow not cleaned properly. The toilet smell like urinal and the floor sticky, even after informing the housekeeping staff of this matter. It was easier to scrub the floor using beach towels and shut the bathroom doors to keep out the smell, I felt as we paid good money to stay here, we shouldn't have to put up with that.

The hotel's restaurant has limited, if not boring, selection on its menu, I recommend eating at La Bounty, a short 5 minutes stroll. La Bounty is French run, serves delicious food that cost less than the resort's, and is open for lunch and dinner. The service is quick and friendly, and I wish I knew about this before arriving at Bora Bora. The supermarket nearby, Tiare, also serves as our breakfast/snack supply store.

My last impression of the hotel was also quite good, the concierge did a great job - always smiley and playing the ukulele, the boat offered to take us back to the hotel at no cost as Bora Bora airport informed us of our flight delay. We did not take the option as the ride takes 30 minutes each way.

I would recommend this hotel for location and for those wanting a over-the-water bungalow yet on a budget (that's us), but when comes to F&B, housekeeping and guest services/hotel management, it was a big disappointment.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint-Paul de Vence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

When you land in Bora Bora be prepared to be met by a charming hostess who will take care of everything until you board the Sofitel boat to take you to the hotel. After a 30-minute pleasant ride across the eastern part of the lagoon - a good way to see the main island - we discovered our over-water bungalow. A large bedroom, a modern bathroom with all amenities, all of discreet luxury of good taste. An outside terrace with a spectacular view over the lagoon, an inside terrace with a ladder to dip directly into the lagoon. The pool and the beach are correct but you hardly need them. Our stay was starting like a fairy tale.

Things started to deteriorate during dinner time as we were forced to move from the terrace of the restaurant to the inside when the wind started to pick-up real strength. The staff looked a bit worried - surely thinking of their own houses - but all kept on going smoothly. Food and wine were OK but nothing special if not that it is expensive as everywhere else in French Polynesia. During the night the wind continued to reinforce and we had some tiny scraps falling from the pandanus roof.

In the morning it was clear that cyclone Oli was heading directly to Bora Bora and we were evacuated to the nearby Novotel built in concrete - a wise decision. Meanwhile airports in Bora Bora and Papeete were closed and planes sent to Marquesas islands for safety. When Air Tahiti resumed its activity we were flown to Papeete. During all this period of time the staff did its utmost to make our life bearable and supplied us with bottled water, sandwiches, even some kind of breakfast and so on. The sore point is that, when checking-out, Sofitel tried to charge us for all that. We challenged these charges and eventually they were dropped to our complete satisfaction.

Sofitel will recover from cyclone Oli and will remain a very attractive place to stay in Bora Bora, specially if you are in the over-water bungalows. No doubt that their staff will remain as friendly, efficient and attentive as we have experienced during our stay. In spite of Oli we keep a good memory of our stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort? Share your experiences!