“We always use this as the bar by which we measure our FOOD and LODGING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort

Special Offer
Up to 30% Off
Ranked #12 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Sedona, Arizona
“We always use this as the bar by which we measure our FOOD and LODGING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

First off there is a reason this place is SO expensive... it's worth the splurge! We had a great package deal from CostCo and decided to make our trip to Tahiti worth our time getting there by staying an extra week in Bora Bora. Well worth our investment. Over all the resort is a grouping of beach-side and over-water bungalow (more like studio apt's see photos) with the over-water ones' being simply amazing with views through the floor down into the water. We spent 6 days in the beach-side bungalow and splurged the last night with a more expensive but well worth it over-water bungalow. If you plan to go to Tahiti be sure to make extra time to sit back and enjoy the amazing sites from either.

Even MORE amazing was the QUALITY of food the Sofitel Bora Bora breakfast and dinner buffets. There are simply NO WORDS to describe how AWESOME the food is (at the time it was $68.00 to eat the dinner buffet.) With a different "theme" each of the nights we ate food from the gods and rolled our eyes at how simply astounding the food tasted and even was presented on the buffet. This place is worth flying all the way there JUST for one night of their food! Being on the ocean the fresh seafood was where we now say the term "Bora Bora GOOD" when we eat somewhere... (in fact we've never stated that since we've returned.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
It was great to have you with us last December; thank you for sharing your great experience and i wish you a happy new year!

734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Banner, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Nov. 2012 stayed at the Sofitel while vacationing on Bora Bora. They were gracious and accommodating. Staff was professional and informative. They arranged transportation and tours and were efficient. The hotel is beautiful and lush. It is walled from the busy street so guests feel safe and peaceful. We stayed in a bungelow close to the beach and could quickly walk to the beach and be snorkeling with many beautiful fish in a matter of seconds! The food was good and there was a relaxed,socially welcoming atmosphere. There were activities at the hotel as well as many tour opportunities. It was informal, yet very classy. I highly recommend this hotel and we were given a reasonable rate that made staying their affordable!

Room Tip: The bungelows over the water looked like fun, but all the bungelows were situated so they felt priva...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Didier L, Responsable réception at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
This is exactly what we want to provide a smart casual exeperience at Sofitel Marara side where you feel home with a great service and entertainment in a beautiful environment. Thank you for your great feed back and Happy new year! we really hope to have you back.
Westport, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Apart from the expense if you can get there you gotta try bora bora. The sofitel is a great middle of the road resort. Excellent food- excellent service and a wonderfull location. Try the over water bungalow. Just magical. Definitely recomend the swim with sharks and sting rays trip. Wow!!!
Good dairy just down the road for bits and pieces.
save your pennies and just do it!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Than you for your great comment and i hope many of your riders will follow your advices!
Williston Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

From the airport it's a scenic boat ride along the coast of Bora Bora until you get to the resort, with beautiful views of the islands the entire time there. After arriving at the dock you're greeted with a conch shell horn sounding, a fruity beverage, and a cool scented cloth to wipe your face off with. The time to wait before my room was ready was a bit longer than I would have liked (~20 minutes), but the views of the lagoon and pool area easily helped pass the time. Staff memorized my name and addressed me personally each morning when I went to breakfast which was a nice personal touch.

When I was being walked to my room I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had been upgraded from a partial overwater bungalow, to a full overwater bungalow. If you're looking to save some money (Bora Bora is EXPENSIVE) the partial overwater ones are just fine as most are completely over the water anyway. Downside to the upgrade was a miscommunication regarding which room my bags were supposed to be delivered to. A call to the front desk and an hour later my bags were finally found and provided to me.

Resort was very quiet, other than at meal times or when exploring near the beach area I only ran into other guests twice. Lots of privacy on the main island, so again, no need to spend the extra money on the private island if budget is a concern. I actually found the private island a bit creepy as it was completely deserted. Had an encounter with an octopus while snorkeling just a few feet from the beach and no one was around at all to assist me if things went badly.

The bungalow I was in lacked a bit of privacy compared to some of the others as the staircase going down into the lagoon had an opening with no door looking out onto the boardwalk, whereas other bungalows had a privacy wall blocking the boardwalk area. I had 2 separate patios to lounge on, but didn't like the setup as I had to walk through my bungalow to go from one to the other.

Another downside was the security of the bungalow. There was no lock on the patio door from the boardwalk - only on the room itself. Meaning if I wanted to jump into the lagoon from my patio I felt I had to hide my room key and any valuables on the lounge chairs while I swam as anyone could have walked onto the patio and taken things. Not a major concern as there were very few other guests around, but it would have been nice to have a lock on the patio door.

Internet connection was SLOOOOOW, but that was everywhere within my trip to Tahiti and not unique to this one resort. Would have been nice if there were free computers available in the reception area for people to use so you don't have to spend half of your hour just waiting for a single page to load up to send an email back home.

The buffet breakfast was great, lots of variety and a good start to the morning as you view the beautiful lagoon while you eat. Having to pay $10 to travel to the motu was a downer, would have been nice to travel there more frequently for snorkeling but the price adds up quick. Water was fairly shallow and I ran into a very friendly octopus just a few feet from the beach who latched onto my legs. I was the only person swimming around the lagoon, complete privacy and great views of a school of barracuda's and beautiful coral reefs with fish.

Only other complaint was that my flight back home was late in the afternoon but I had to check out of my room by 11am. There was nothing to do after checking out aside from sitting at the bar and reading a book for 3 hours until the boat took me back to the airport. Since the resort was so empty it would have been nice if I could have had a later check out where I could swim in the lagoon one more day and relax in my own room before flying out.

Room Tip: Make sure you're in an overwater or at least partial overwater bungalow. It's on the opposit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
You gave us a important information so For all the readers, i really suggest to book a late check out from your travel agency if you want to keep your room until late when your flight back is at night. room in many categories may be fully booked and check in tile is 2 pm he latest that is the reason why the check out time is at 11 am. that will help to enjoy another full day with activities and your own room. a transit room are also available for a shower before leaving.
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your holidays.
lakeland,fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

we just returned from a week stay at the sofitel private island. from the pick up till the arrival on the island we just marveled at the beautiful water and the views. we were greeted on the dock by the shell horn and given a flower lai. also a cold drink from a coconut shell and cold wash cloth to cool our faces. at check in they brought us a cake with a candle on to welcome us for our annivarsary (50) the check in was prompt and we were quickly escorted to our bungalow at the end of the dock, which was the one i had requested. we had a great view of the mt. from our porch. the room was really nice. if you want all the ambiance of the bigger hotels with the price and people to go with it then this is probably not the place for you. if you want a fantastic view, pleasant people, and relaxation try the sofitel. i could not find anything to complain about. the show on the main island was very nice,food at the private island was good especially the breakfasts. we mostly ate on the main island at the local resturants. we rented bikes and rode the island one day. we rented the electric ones. the rental place is right down the street, right past the bounty. we had gotten the wedding package for our vow renewal ceramony. all i can say is that it far exceeded my expections. jean louis took care of everything to make sure that from start to finish it would be something we would never forget/ THANKS JEAN LOUIS also TIM, the young man who did the video, turned out fantastic. also the photographer, great photos.we ate at bloody mary's, villa mahania, bounty, and the mai kai. all great in the different ways. check reviews on each site.all in all a great place to stay ,also did the shark feeding. too much to try to remember. any bad reviews that have been on this site must have gone in with a bad additude. the place was great. loved sitting on the porch watching the sun come up every morning. hated leaving, back to the real world. the people of bora bora are great and especially at the sofitel private island. hope you make it there someday. put it on the bucket list. wendy of fl

Room Tip: we stayed in 128 on the very end for best view of the main island of bora bora
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MAURURU ROA (thank you very much in Tahitian langage) for having choosing us for your wow renewal.
it is great for all the team to see how happy you are with your experience at the Sofitel Private island.
we rally hope to have the pleasure to provide a new experience in our paradise!
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Really beautiful resort one of the oldest on island itch a history but bit old...the location is great , the bungalows as well but from outside thy need to be updated..they should change the wood at one part of resort..you have a feeling that will fall apart..it is pity because location is really nice ..so magnifique cold be even better..th services were great , you could tell that hospitality is sincere...breakfast was simply the highlights are it is always is in Sofitel..I had to lev resort early bu will come back again ....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
The location resort was choosen by Dino de Laurentis for his movie "Hurricane" with Mia Farrow because it is the best spot and he build the bungalow for the movie star, then he became a Sofitel.
Plan a re on for renovation and we will keep the traditional archistecture with a french touch and all we go around a movie thematic.
Thank you for you stay with us and for your great comments regarding our service. We wait for you to come back

Been to Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort? Share your experiences!