“Sofitel Beat my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 30% Off
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Bora Bora
Orange County
“Sofitel Beat my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Travelled with my wife and daughter in September and we were just blown away with the beauty of Bora Bora's sea. Note not many travellers go to Bora Bora with a 4 year girl, but we had our prepared for this adventure and she was ready to snorkel.
The Sofitel did an excellent job in all categories.

Grounds were well kept and beautiful, The OTW Bungalow we had was on the Motu which made your getaway different and memorable. I almost wouldn't recommend staying in Bora Bora unless you are in an OTW Bungalow. We stayed half the time in Sofitel and the second half in Hilton. Both had their own unique charm and flare. As we arrived, they welcomed us with Exotic juices and the utmost respect. Sincerely made us feel like special guest. Our room was situated on top a little reef which made the snorkeling off the porch fun. There was an eel underneath our room. On the Motu there is a short 2 minute walk to the top to look at the sunset. We tried but just missed it, but still enjoyed the breath taking views.

Food category, we tried the poolside bar/restaurant which was excellent. The Panini's are amazing. As for dinner, I highly recommend Bloody Mary's. If you tell the concierge, they will set reservations and have a free shuttle pick you up and bring you back to the hotel. It worked out perfect and will give you a different experience then the hotel restuarants.

Service was good. The staff does appreciate you and has good service, but keep in mind you are guest to the polynesians. Understand this islands culture. Greet everyone with a Yorana and a smile they will welcome you even further and treat you with geniuine hospitality.

Kids Club.. The Ocean is the kids club. Bora Bora isn't really a kid friendly place, but ours had a blast with snorkeling and the infiniti pool and also Kayaking with Daddy. They may get bored if you don't plan accordingly and set the right expectations. Remember, there is a very low chance for them to find somebody else their age to play with.

Some Tips:
Bora Bora is very expensive. Everything is way over priced. So set the right expectations. We knew this so we planned accordingly. Highly Highly Highly recommend the NONO Tours. This is almost a full day event. Take you on a boat (with live music on the boat and it is covered so you have shade) to swim with Sharks, At the Coral Gardens with tons of fish and eel, then off to a Motu for a traditional lunch and dance lesson; Teach you how to cut coconuts, and finally swim with sting rays.. Sounds spooky to some, but simply put, my 4 year old and my wife (who is terrified by sharks) did all of it with out any hesitation and they loved it.... well maybe the stingrays scared them a bit, but they it is so much fun and a once in a life experience. Give it a try. I also took a day to go Scuba Diving with Bathy's Scuba.. AWESOME Staff and facility. Loved it..
Other recommendation, that I don't think many others do is try a couple of resorts while on Bora Bora. There are a few different ones to choose from with OTW bungalows. We experienced 4 resorts and each one had its own character. IF you plan on staying there for more than 10 nights I recommend trying at least 2 resorts and it will be like going on 2 vacations in a way. The SPA at Coral Beach Resort is amazing. The Turtle feeding and lagoon at Le Meridean is unique and different as well.
Finally, We did circle Bora Bora island. Not much to write about. very poor island in my opinion with nothing much to see. The Bloody Mary's restaurant was fun and memorable and the food was AMAZING there. Highly recommend it. The main town was not impressive, but if you go, try the Aloe cafe in town. Decent food. Again, if you go with family or kids. Set all the right expectations and you will love it. We got back just a few days ago and looking back on the pics, it makes you have a whole different appreciation for the ocean and sea. Almost as if the colors and sea was sureal at the time, but looking at them again, just makes it feel like WOW was that real.

Room Tip: On the Motu - be sure to take the Kayak around the Motu to swim in the Coral Gardens
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

747 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Joinville, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Beautiful place, wonderful 3 nights stay. But, ending,half an hour (sic) standing in front of the clerk to do the chek out. Morning, many people leaving and just ONE person to do the check out. Then, she sent me to the BATEAU, to go to the airport, didn't tell wich bateau, and I was left at the Motu, leaving people waiting for me at the harbour. I was told that people always complain of that with no listening by administration persons. Bad last memory.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

First off, I'd like to say, the Sofitel Resort at Bora Bora was by far the WORST resort I have EVER stayed at in my life (and I've traveled a lot). And sadly, my review coincides with a lot of the other reviews here so its not like I'm a rare case. Believe it or not, I was so desperate to write this review that I'm currently sitting in my bungalow, on the day we check out, to let others know, to NOT book this place no matter what. We came to Bora Bora on our honeymoon and booked the Sofitel because both St. Regis and Four Season were sold out, and we had a choice between this and Hilton. One of my good friends had stayed at the Sofitel in Moorea and she spoke very highly of it, so we decided to give their Bora Bora location a try.. They didn't have any overwater bungalows available so we decided to book half land/half water bungalows. Little did we know, the staff is BEYOND rude, they don't care about anyone or anything. The resort, having a lot of potential, is old, dark (because the bungalows have no surrounding lights), and not maintained at all. We ordered room service the first day, and the dishes are still sitting in the room on the last day. We took a day tour of St. Regis, and OMG we were so regretting the fact that they didn't have rooms available. Beautiful, absolutely stunning resort, with crystal blue waters. Sofitel, on the other hand, is situated by greenish brownish blue waters with a bunch of rocks that u cant even swim near… and the beach has absolutely no white sand (that they claim to have) and old old lounge chairs that look more uninviting then the beach….

Transfer from the airport: They kept us waiting at the airport for 30 mins because their boatman was running "late". And I say "late" in quotations because once he got here, he told us that he wasn't informed that he had a pick up.

CHeck in: At check in we find out we've been placed in a garden view bungalow instead of a Lagoon Front bungalow which we had booked.. After a good 2 hours of arguing, we were finally placed in our promised bungalow.

Room: Once we were finally placed in the bungalow, I go outside to the deck, and start going down the stairs when one of the wood panels break and I crash right into the lagoon. Yes, I almost break my leg on the first day of our honeymoon… The general manager rushes to our room once we inform the front desk, he's all panicky and says he will make it up to us, what does he do? He sends us a bottle of champagne… I told him we don't drink, so then he sends us a couple of bowls of ice cream.. ummmm ok, sure! The bathrooms are horrible, hot water is non existent.. when we complained about that, they said they'd send someone but no one ever came… The white canopy over the bed had A BUNCH of bugs, the floor and closets were beyond dirty, like they haven't been cleaned in a while, the bean bag on the floor was dusty, and bathroom had a very weird smell.

Maintainance: was like an everyday thing for us… the lights blew out, hot water not working, our keycard NEVER worked, which meant for us to do 1k runs back and forth from the bungalow to the reception. Imagine, u come back after a very long day tour of the island, finally arriving to ur bungalow, all u can think about is laying down, u get to the door, and yes IT WILL NOT OPEN.. what do u do? well u get ur butt walking again BACK to the reception… we did this EVERYTIME for the first few days, until we started remembering that the room key doesn't work, and we started stopping at the front desk to check the key even before we made the trek to the bungalow.. a hassle nonetheless...

The only reason I will even give it a one star is because I thought the food was good tasting, from what we had at least (extremely overpriced) but good. We ate a lot at the hurricane bar and they had a good variety of sandwiches, paninis and other entrees. I had a couple run ons with a few foreign objects in my meal, like once, a long strand of hair in the pineapples, or a big white plastic thing in my banana split (which almost broke my jaw). But aside those things, the food still tasted good. The desserts on the other hand were average… I liked the desserts at Four Seasons MUCH better…

In a nutshell, we came to a magical destination like Bora Bora, expecting a extravagant experience, in return, Sofitel, not ruined but SLAUGHTERED that experience for us… were probably not gonna come back to Bora Bora ever again, and because of Sofitel, we'll never know what a good experience here would feel like.

Take it from me (and the other reviewers) save ur money, and stay somewhere else. Bora Bora really is the most beautiful destination, and u don't want something like Sofitel, ruin it for u….

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Bora, Bora is very laid back. It was awkward to travel so far and not get 5 star service. It was a shock the first two days, but when you realize where you are at -- take advantage of it! There is so much to do that doesn't require food or entertainment. We did the shark and stingray feeding (best time of trip), took the free paddle boats from the island, brought our own snorkel gear. Additionally, we hiked to top of mountain that is on private island -- good workout! Pool on main island was very nice and relaxing.

We rented bikes and had blast. We found some good restaurants and shopping this way. Kaina Hut, Bloody Marys and Fare Manuia were awesome dinners. We ended up renting a car and drove around island that took about 25 minutes.

Room #124 was ok. The port to see water was about 3 -4 ft in diameter. We were expecting much bigger. We debated to ask front to move to main island but after talking with others, they were switching their rooms to go to Motu (private) Island.

The key is relax. Go out and get away from everything you are accustom to. There was a convience store in walking distance which we brought back beers and bottled water to the balcony of the room.

Would we do it again? YES! Next time we would love to stay near the expensive hotels near airport; St. Regis, Four Seasons, Le Meridian and Intercontinental hotel, but the Intercontinential near Sofitel looked tempting because on a very clear, blue water or the Hilton.

Typing on iPad so thoughts might have been little rambled. Please respond so can fine tune your answers! Have fun in Bora Bora!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed on the private island for 9 nights and had a lovely time. The main hotel is on a noisy street with noisy and junkie looking neighbors right over the fence. If you can't stay on the private island, I would pass on this resort. The staff on the private island was very good. There are always the occasional "grumpies," but I only recall a couple of them.
Bridgett and Noreiko on the private island reception / activities desk were amazing.

Our overwater bungalow was in a great location. We saw great wildlife from our porthole in the floor. There were 2 octopus that lived in the lagoon, one day we saw an eel and lots of little reef shark.

The bungalow was nice, but not luxury. There needs to be more attention to detail. We did call maintenance on the first day and they repaired right away. Each room has a refridg (aka mini bar- it is empty, so you can put your own items in it.) We stayed in 2 rooms; one refrig was a real refridg and kept things very cool, the other room was not a traditional refridg and only kept things moderately cool. The mattress was a bit tired and sunken in, we flipped the mattress and that helped some.

What we did not know was June to Aug is windy season. That means there are VERY strong winds blowing most days. The weather was still beautiful and sunny, yet the water in the lagoon has lots of waves and small white caps. It even kept us from eating on our deck because of the wind. It also detracts from the beautiful mirror glass image of the water. We still had several calm weather days which were absolutely gorgeous. We would advise going another time of year.

When we arrived it was a windy day. The next day, I stopped by reception to order a tour. They asked my room number and she said, we have not been able to find you. You need to move out of your room but did not say why at first.. We found this odd, since my husband had been in the room all day, so they obviously had not tried to call us. There was a high tide moving into the lagoon and they needed to move us to a safer room. All activities in Bora Bora were cancelled for 3 days due to wind and HIGH tide. We never could get a real answer to the reason for the rise in water. We heard everything from a volcano, to a cyclone, to normal seasonal shifts. We moved for one night and then were able to return to our overwater bungalow. It was a bit unsettling not knowing what was going on. We did not know if a Tsunami was coming. We did not feel safe when it was happening.

The hotel did not seem prepared for the change in weather. They verbally told us that it was not safe to swim during these days. We saw others in the water. We thought they should have a sign up in the lobby advising when there are weather and swimming advisories. The hotel also did not have any activities as a backup plan when all water based activities were canceled. They could have had some sports, cards, etc. If there was truly an emergency, we did not feel the hotel was prepared.

Best tip: bring a French phrase book with you. The front desk can speak basic English, but often we wanted to communicate more complex topics like weather safety and with housekeeping or the gardener, without a phrase book we were left to hand signals and very basic English and French words we both knew.

We went to the grocery store. There is a small market 2 blocks from the hotel and a large grocery in the main village. You can get to the main village with a hotel shuttle which runs 3 times per day. The cost is 900 francs which was approx. $13. Expect groceries to be 2-3 times the cost in the US. A single ice cream bar at the store is $5. Water is reasonably priced 100 francs - $1.30 for 1.5 liter bottle.

The hotel breakfast needed some variety. They had omelets, pancakes aka crepes (out of this world) (they were not the thin French crepes like in Paris - but absolutely wonderful), bacon - but very under cooked, potato wedges (aka French fries). There were a lot of things to choose from; just not much we wanted to eat. Would suggest the hotel change up the menu. It was definitely a bit on the boring side for long stays. It would be nice to have different styles of potatoes, oatmeal, etc.

The on demand water taxi to the main island is fantastic.

The major issue we had was with our transfer to the airport for our departure to the US. The airport is on its own motu island, so all trips to the airport are by boat - approx 25 minutes. We were scheduled for a 5pm pick up for a 6:55pm flight. The boat had not arrived at 5:20. Talked to reception and they said the boat had gone to the airport to get fuel and would be there about 5:30. The boat had still not come at 5:30 - reception said, he will be here shortly. We could see the boat out in the lagoon stopped. Again we ask at 5:40 - same reply. We said, we need another boat. Reception starts calling the main office. We asked if the shuttle taxi boat could take us. We were told no, because it was not fast enough to get us to the airport.

The shuttle boat comes to pick us up and take us to the main Bora Bora hotel. There are 8 of us going to the airport. They load us all in the shuttle boat. We ask reception if this boat will get us to the airport and reception says yes. We were just told by the captains it would not get us to the airport. But we (all 8 of us) all get in the shuttle boat with loads of luggage.
The broken / repaired boat arrives. We get out of the shuttle boat with all the luggage and get in the airport boat. The captain was great! We are on our way. The boat does have a shadow boat following us (our wing man). The yellow shadow boat is like an open air fishing boat. The three guys are this boat were taking all our spray, it was nice to have back up support.

Oops, the boat breaks down again in route. We start asking about life jackets. They wave down another hotel boat and we do a mid-ocean transfer. They tie the boats together is the rough water, all 8 of us transfer to the next boat along with our entire luggage as the boats are rolling in the rough sea. We are now off to the airport again.
The good part about a small island is the plane was still waiting on us. We were the last people to board a full flight to PPT. We made it!

It was quite the adventure. This is another time when the hotel did not seem to be prepared for the unexpected. We met the new general manager; he was new to the island that week from Cambodia. Hopefully, he will improve the planning.

Overall, the hotel is nice, but not luxury. We enjoyed our time lounging, but 9 nights was too long based on the weather and the lack of variety. Our experience with the staff on the private island was very good.

Room Tip: Must request the private island. Would not stay here if on main island -huts too close together; lo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

You must check your transfer arrangements from the airport to the hotel before you arrive. There are two ways to get to the hotel. One is by the hotel's own boat and is quite expensive the other is to get the free public ferry to Viatape and the get a taxi from the landing stage to the hotel. The hotel have a representative at the airport who will meet you and arrange the taxi if you choose to take the public ferry. The taxi driver may ask you pay, if they do get a receipt as the hotel will try and charge you for this if they've made the arrangements.

The check in process is a bit long winded but the receptionist will give you a good brief about the hotel and the facilities available.

We stayed in an over water bungalow on the mainland, which was great. The room had a safe and the balcony had steps down into the sea which was as clear as drinking water but much, much warmer.

I think that staying on the private island could be an inconvienece as you have to get a boat from the island to the mainland for everything and although there are frequent boats it does mean you have to pre plan a bit more.

The first evening we had dinner from the self service buffet. My partner was satisfied with her meal but my tuna and accompanying vegetables were completely overcooked and ruined. Just not good enough. I could have thrown it all in bin and gone back round for as much more as liked but just wasn't hungry any more. The rest of the food we had while at the resort was excellent. The breakfasts were superb, cooked to order and plenty of choice. You could sit outside over the sea and watch the colourful fish swimming around looking for their breakfast. A nice start to the day.

There is a car and bicycle hire office opposite the hotel and about 100 metres away. There is a better bicycle hire shop about 500 m further along the road that hire out better bikes but the owner isn't always there and opening hours seem erratic. The island is 32 km (20 miles) round and mostly flat (only one hill) so makes for a good bike ride as an alternative to lying on the beach.

The hotel provides sea canoes free of charge and has boats for hire. Parasailing is also offered which is very expensive but great fun (unless you don't like heights) and presents some wonderful photo opportunities from 100m up in the sky, or even higher if you pay more!

We had a evening flight out of Bora Bora but we had to vacate out room at midday. We got the use of the public showers when we were getting ready to leave, although the one in the gents didn't work so I had to use the ladies with my partner. We could still charge lunch and drinks to 'our' room throughout the afternoon so it was obvious no one had moved into it. I can't help feeling they could at least have let us use the room for another couple of hours.

Nonetheless a great place to be and would recommend it to anyone want to stay on Bora Bora.

One last thing: take an umbrella or a light rain coat with you, 'cause if it rains it'll pour.

Room Tip: Stay on the mainland, not the private island.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Overall, my wife and I were not very pleased with our stay at the Sofitel Bora Bora. The service, food and amenities were all below expectations.

We received a voicemail from the Sofitel stating that they would be arranging for transportation for us from Vaitape to the resort. When we arrived into Vaitape, we searched around everywhere and waited a good 30-45 minutes beyond the time they told us and never found any such transportation. We then decided to hop in a taxi and when we arrived at the resort, the resort staff claimed that the problem was due to the Four Seasons (where we had previously stayed). It was quite obvious that the Sofitel was just passing the blame and didn't want to accept responsibility. They did not apologize nor did they try and make it up to us at all.

We booked our room through Expedia and were put in a room on the main island. We asked if there were any rooms available on the private island that we could move to and they said that they were fully booked. We then decided to take a trip over to the private island where we asked if they had any rooms available and they had a few to choose from! I have no idea why they would blatantly lie to us, but they did and it definitely didn't speak to well on their willingness to provide a service to their customers. After a lot of arguing, we were able to move rooms to the private island and had to pay a "discounted" upgrade fee of 10,000xpf per night.

The food choices at the resort were limited and mostly consisted of buffets which were marginal at best (and expensive!). However, the Sofitel is within walking distance of La Bounty which had much better food.

The resort itself is much older and weathered when compared to some of the newer resorts on Bora Bora. Overall, I would recommend spending a bit more on a resort you know will provide outstanding service and have better facilities.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort? Share your experiences!