“Lots of fun. Great food!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 37 Restaurants in Bora Bora
Good for: Bar scene
Chicago
“Lots of fun. Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

It looks like many of the bad reviews come from people who stopped here as some sort of a cruise ship excursion, and it doesn't sound anything like our experience.

We were staying at the Intercontinental Le Moana, and came here for dinner. Like most big restaurants, they have a shuttle from the major hotels. They have two seatings a night, and then the shuttle will take you back more or less when you're done.

The atmosphere is lovely. It's an A-frame building, open on both ends, with a sand floor and rustic tables and chairs. Outside, they have lists of all the famous people who have eaten there, which I did find a bit tacky.

Their unique way of ordering your meal is that as you enter, they have their seafood and steaks laid out for inspection and you order your food before sitting down. We had kabobs as starters, my wife had marlin and I had some sort of fish I'd never seen (wahoo, maybe?). If I had it to do again, I would have skipped the starters, because - unlike most seafood restaurants - the portions are enormous, so this was a lot of food. We ordered an excellent and reasonably priced (for the area) bottle of wine and the food arrived very quickly. The people who talk about "bad service" have obviously never been to any other restaurants on Bora Bora. The food was fantastic, fresh, and cooked perfectly. Some of the best seafood I've ever had.

For dessert, we both had some the best creme brulée I've ever tasted. Light glaze and serious vanilla.

It wasn't cheap, but I think for the quantity and quality it wasn't out of line with the area. I would definitely recommend it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great place to get away from hotel restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

One interesting thing about this place - it is send floor. So girls, don't wear fancy high hill shoes, as you won't need them. They serve hibachi type food. The menu is not huge, but the food was delicious.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Barbara, California
“Touristy, pricy, food so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having said that, it's where everyone goes when on Bora Bora, and my sweetie wanted to see it, having watched the South Pacific musical with the Bloody Mary role in it.

I liked the menu concept whereby you order as you walk in past the food display and pointing at what you want. I was going to have the tuna, but saw the beef for less money so we both got it instead. A mistake, the New Zealand beef just isn't the same as what we're used to here in the U.S. So the lesson is, don't go to a South Pacific island and order imported beef, get the seafood instead ;-)

Atmosphere was what you pay for, I guess - sand floor, stumps for seats. Had a crab crawl across my foot during dinner. Service was slow, the young lady serving us acted as if she wanted to be anywhere but there. She did brighten up when I gave her a tip. Loud party at a nearby table pretty much drowned out any conversation.

I've now led a full life - where else could I have gone and known that Stephen Stills, Phil Jackson, John Elway, and Christina Applegate had preceeded me!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
“Quaint, but would have been okay to miss out on this one.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

So, this is one of those places they say you HAVE to visit if you go to Bora Bora. We would have been okay with saving our very precious time and skipping this spot.

To be fair, we went for lunch, and they say dinner is the main attraction. If you're not able to go for the fresh catch dinner then I wouldn't bother with the trip. The food is not great.

It is nice to have your feet in the sand while you eat.

Visited July 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Worth going”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you're on the main island while staying in Bora Bora, I would recommend going to this restaurant. It is tons of fun and a tourist spot--so why not?

The food is fairly priced to Bora Bora standards and if you are a fan of fish--you will love this place!

Our only complaints would be that our seats were not leveled at all since the entire floor is covered in sand... so I thought I would topple over at times which is not a typical experience I like to have while enjoying dinner.

The food came pretty fast, although it was very busy. Definitely make reservations!!!

And there are many fun aspects to the restaurant you'll enjoy: the interesting washrooms, the memoirs of bills on a wall, the list of celebrities who've been to Bloody Mary's, etc.

• Visited September 2013