While preparing for our extended travels into the heart of Alaska after a Princess cruise... I stumbled onto a web link for the Denali Fireside Cabin and Suites. It appeared to be just what we were looking for... Although we booked almost 8 months in advance, it was reassuring to have this completed and we would stay here again!
These small adjoining cabins are sparkling new! It felt as if we were one of the first guests to stay there. Built by the owners, you won't lack for quality.... it's tip top construction - solid and beautiful.
Although we had 5 people in our cabin, our unit would comfortably sleep 4. There were two comfortable double beds and the owners provided a small sleeping mat for the 5th person. If we were used to camping outside ( as I predict many of the guests who travel to Talkeetna may do ) the sleeping mat would have been no problem. However, this is the one area that they may give some future consideration to.... A roll out perhaps? We also suggested to Mavis that as they expand, they may wish to have one double and two twin beds in the units for 4 people.
Inside, there was a small kitchen-ette with a dorm size fridge, a microwave and a coffee pot. Each day we found that the coffee makings were refreshed. A private bathroom was just off the kitchen. The main room was an L shape with beds at either end, a gas heat stove in the corner, plenty of windows and a small table arrangement. There were also chairs on a small porch outside.
As a traveler who was not used to Alaska sunsets ( late ) and sun rises ( early ) we were pleased to have blinds to block out the sun when desired. Our only complaint... and certainly not a fault of Mavis or her family - the welcome toots that the morning and evening trains gave each day. After our first two nights we found that we had gotten used to them. The first evening was a bit more unsettled.
So... about the area... this was easy to find, the price was better than many others of lesser quality... and we recieved a wonderful warm welcome from Mavis and her family. Once parked there and settled, we only used our rental car to travel to Denali. It was easy to walk into town and visit. Certainly, this is a haven for hikers... and if you happen to be like me ( camping by marriott ) this would fit your bill for rustic but comfortable without adding to your bill $$$$ like the local larger lodges.
We loved our trip to Talkeetna and would recommend it to anyone in the future! Be sure to tell them we send our best...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Denali Fireside is a new facility in Talkeetna offering suites or cabins that comfortably accommodate up to 4 people. Features include pillow top king and queen beds, kitchenettes (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee brewer, bar sink) gas fireplaces, satellite HDTVs, wireless internet and private covered deckswith log gliders. The structures are log/frame and the interiors are decorated in Alaskana decor, including cozy hand sewn quilts. New for 2010 - Our "Little Cabin in the Woods" located on 5 acres beside a small spring-fed pond, 3 miles from our lodge in Talkeetna. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Denali Fireside Cabins Hotel Talkeetna
- Denali Fireside Cabins And Suites
- Denali Fireside Cabins & Suites Talkeetna, Alaska