“Cheap, nice atmosphere but a bit tired” 3 of 5 stars

Talkeetna Roadhouse
Talkeetna, AK 99676   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Talkeetna B&B and Inns
London
“Cheap, nice atmosphere but a bit tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

We didn't pay much for our night here so didn't have great expectations. The staff are friendly though very busy running the front bakery so service a little slow for room guests. We stayed in Room 2 which is right off the dining room. The double room was small, dark and smelt a bit damp/musty (as did the shared bathroom) The bed was the creakiest thing I have ever slept in, no idea what it was made of but it was NOISY! The towels were threadbare and holey. We could hear the guests talking all night in the room opposite. (grateful for a set of earplugs!) All in all, it was an okay experience, with a quaint friendly atmosphere, but after a week in a tent I was hoping for a better night's sleep, so was a bit grumpy in the morning!

• Liked — communal dining room area and reading area, free internet access
  • Disliked — creaky bed and noisy room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

This is what typical Alaska is all about. We were so pleased we booked Room 2 at the Roadhouse. The room itself was small with three shared bathrooms (shared also with the very busy restaurant/bakery). However when all of the big cruise tour buses have left for the day is when you get the feel of this place. The main room is a quiet respite to read a book or watch TV. Coffee, tea and hot cocoa are complimentary to all guests and a welcome treat to enjoy a quiet evening or morning. Mornings are wonderful too as long as you are up before 7am when the diner opens to huge breakfast crowds. Of course I guess that is what the Roadhouse is all about; getting a piece of what the locals enjoy about Talkeetna (the quiet evenings) but knowing what Talkeetna survives on (tourism). Thanks Roadhouse for allowing us a slice of your life…..if only for one night!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
san francisco, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

I'd love to say that my husband and I had a lovely time here, but in the end we never even saw the place. That's because ONE WEEK before we were due to arrive, we received a call from the Roadhouse to let us know that 'oops, they double-booked our room!'
We got nothing more than a "sorry" and a couple of numbers for nearby motels. Gee, thanks. How about trying to secure us a room somewhere else? Or offering us a discounted room on a future trip? Nope, nothing. Have these people ever heard of customer service? Apparently not.
Mind you, this was more than a month after I made the reservation, and again, just one week before we arrived. Oh, and it's the absolute busiest time of year up there. I spent many many hours over the next few days trying to figure out what we were going to do. In the end, we didn't even go to Talkeetna. Couldn't find anywhere to stay.
What a total bummer. And to add insult to injury, I received an email just a day before leaving for Alaska. Guess what? It was a email confirmation for my reservation!! But it was only for one of the three nights I had originally reserved. Unbelievable. I called and told them we would not be coming. Ever.

Stayed June 2008
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

I came to Alaska looking for a winter get-away. Talkeetna Roadhhouse was the perfect place to stay. It was quite charming, with a very friendly staff. In the winter during the week, they don’t serve breakfast but in the afternoon they make wonderful assortment of food and desserts. (I had blackberry pie that was to die for.)

They have private rooms but I stayed hostel style in the “Bunk House” with 4 twin beds. Pretty comfortable bed. Simple but homey room. Bathrooms were up the hall. Since it’s the middle of winter in the off-season though, I didn’t have to share the room with anyone and it only cost $21 a night. I stayed 2 nights.

The place is clean, warm and comfortable. There was a wide variety of books, magazines, puzzles, games. 24 hours a day, there’s hot water for tea (great selection and free) and coffee. There’s TV, VCR, DVD, a computer to use if you didn’t bring a laptop. I did bring a laptop and the free wireless internet connection was fast and worked great. Terrific music softly played.

My stay at Talkeetna Roadhouse was the highlight of my weeklong Alaska adventure. Even know, I wish I was back there, sitting in front of the fireplace, reading and sipping a nice warm cup of tea. I wished I could have stayed longer. I’d highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Friendly staff and fellow travelers--Plus great price
  • Disliked — No breakfast during the week in winter
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oak Park, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

We stayed in the back cabin, and my family loved it. Three nice beds (one is in a loft), a microwave, refrigerator and even a small tv (for videotapes) made it seem as if we were "roughing it" in luxury. The back room of the main building even has internet access and a nice reading area for guests. Yes, you have to share bathrooms with other guests, but there are severall bathrooms, and they are clean. The food, as well as the staff, is also wonderful.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Slippery Rock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

We were pleasantly surprised with our stay at the Roadhouse, very comfortable and great breakfast & baked goods! However, try not to get room 5 upstairs next to the bathroom unless you want to hear everyone in the place "do their business" while you are in the room! Everything else was great!

• Liked — clean & comfortable & good food
  • Disliked — staying next to the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Everywhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

This place was lovely. The room was basic but furnished cutely. The bathroom had a wonderful large tub with bubble bath to use. There was a common room which had books, couches and a fireplace which made it feel very homely. They also have a bakery attached which served yummy soup. All the staff there where very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Talkeetna Roadhouse? Share your experiences!