The lobby, deck, restaurants, and some rooms afford an absolutely stunning view of Mt McKinley (weather permitting). Our party of eight had dinner twice, lunch and breakfast each once in the hotel and found every meal to be excellent. Talkeetna is just a couple miles from the hotel. The lobby is impressive. They have an incredilble fireplace in the middle of the lobby, a nice gift shop, wireless internet access throughout the hotel, and plenty of places to sit inside and out to soak up the fresh air and enjoy the views of the Alaska mountain range.
The only thing we found to be sub-standard was the overall level of service and the quality of the rooms. We arrived just as the busy season was getting started. Many of the employees were still in training and seemed to be struggling with the volume of business at the hotel. Our meals did take much longer than necessary and proper serving ettiquette was less than perfect, i.e., appetizers arrived at the same time as the main course and drinks from the bar arrived even later. Consideration of the guests was clearly not the priority of all the employees. Here are a couple of examples. After paying to access the internet terminal provided off the lobby, I had to wait 30 minutes for an employee to log off and allow me to use it. Another example this type of behavior that we witnessed was when a guest came inside to complain about some people that were smoking on the deck. We peered outside and recognized that the people were several employees that served us earlier in the day. No one ever asked them to stop smoking which enraged many guests dining on the deck (it is supposed to be non-smoking facilty). Aside from the mini-fridge and robes, the rooms are reminiscent of a nice Holiday Inn (i.e., linoleum flooring, small fiberglass shower/tub, low quality fixtures and furniture). If you are staying in mid-summer, NOTE that the rooms don't have AC! Fortunately, we were staying early in the season and the temperatures in the evening were just cool enough to make the room bearable.
- Also Known As:
- Talkeetna Alaskan Hotel Talkeetna
- Talkeetna Alaskan Hotel
- Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge Alaska
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a ridge above the small community of Talkeetna on the south side of Mt. McKinley, our lodge offers unforgettable views of Mt. McKinley and the Alaska Range, yet we are just minutes from adventures of a lifetime. Enjoy the view as you relax next to our 46-foot river rock fireplace or shop for Native art from villages across Alaska. Enjoy casual or fine dining featuring Alaska specialties and the best wine selection in the neighborhood. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.