“Nice motel - boring town” 4 of 5 stars

Swiss-Alaska Inn Talkeetna
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 706, Talkeetna, AK 99676   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Talkeetna
Southwest MO
“Nice motel - boring town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

We scheduled a night in Talkeetna before proceeding to Denali NP - the inn was nice enought - clean - rustic - but if your not doing stuff (flightseeing, etc) from Talkeetna - skip it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
shay42
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Swiss Alaska in early August. Although the price was decent, I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to friends. The religious placards above the rooms (we were in the 'Holy Room') were creepy. I like quirky places, and rarely stay at resort hotels (just to give some perspective)... but our room was outdated and very very blah. I was excited about a jetted hottub, but trust me, it's not very appealing. I kind of felt like I was staying at a trailer park.

The menu was a lot pricier than we expected ($25 a plate for dinner?) and we ate both our meals down the road at The Roadhouse, which was funky and old in the cool kind of way. Not the 80's thrift store throwaways kind of way.

Also, some lady who worked in the kitchen at Swiss Alaska was quite rude to my husband... I couldn't wait to check out of there. Next time we will stay at the Roadhouse. Overall, a disappointing experience.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmot, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

The Swiss-Alaska Inn was okay. It was clean. I spent 2 nights in the part that is attached to the restaurant. The walls are thin but that didn't bother me since I sleep with earplugs. The owners and the people who work there are very nice and accomodating. The path to town through the woods is a little confusing as there are several trails. I just rode into town in the car most of the time. My room was a little cramped even for one person with a large suitcase. Talkeetna and the surrounding area is very rural, so don't expect city conveniences. They "roll the sidewalks up before dark" unless you are into the bar scene, which I am not. Ate breakfast in the inn's restaurant the morning that I checked out and it was okay. They let me buy a coffee mug from the kitchen for a souvenir, since I didn't want a knick-knack from one of the souvenir shops that was MADE IN CHINA!!!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness and in a rural setting.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Majorca, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Stayed high season and paid high season prices. The place is run down, outside of town (a good ten minute walk to town), and for some reason had religious placards over every door. Not that that bothers me, it just seemed a bit weird. They charge what they charge because they can, and upkeep on the place is definitely an afterthought. Talkeetna can be a hard place to score a room in August and we had hoped for a couple of nights at the Roadhouse, which is in town and half the price. When we could only get one night there, we landed st the Swiss Alaska and were sorely disappointed. To their credit, they were in the process of installing satellite tv. For now, though, you have to rent DVDs across the road if you want to stay in for the night in front of the tube.

There is a restaurant attached, and we did not eat there. It did have a nice looking menu and would be convenient for those who want a quick breakfast.

• Liked — Having a bed and shower
  • Disliked — Price and location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

We stayed in a room with a king size bed and jacuzzi tub with shower. Very Clean and Very Nice, Perfect for what we needed!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Woodruff, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

The Swiss-Alaska is a nice just average little place. The rooms have ample space. The staff is extremely nice as I believe most are family. The food was fairly good, nothing exceptional but better than average. The rooms were ok as far as a place to sleep, but nothing that would be considered a 4 star hotel. It was more like going to stay in someone else's guest room. There are places outside of Talkeetna that are nicer and with nicer views but the Swiss-Alaska has it beat on location. The small town is just a short walk through the woods. And a big plus is if you are planning a fishing trip with Mahay's. They are right across the road. Overall an ok place to stay nothing fancy and probably one of the best in Talkeetna.

• Liked — The location in relation to Talkeetna.
  • Disliked — Lack of any type of television but hey it is Alaska.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Williamsburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

It is a quiet place to stay away from all the tourist shops. There is a delightful walking path to the tourist area, however this establishment is in a quiet spot in town. Our room was clean & comfortable with lovely quilts on the bed. We enjoyed a salmon dinner and french toast the following morning. We would recommend this as a place to stay.

Bill & Barbara Byrd
Williamsburg, Virginia

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Swiss-Alaska Inn Talkeetna? Share your experiences!