This is the 3rd vacation that we have spent at Caribou Lodge but it is the first in the summer. Totally different in summer than in winter, but as always, magical. The lodge is simply set in one of the best views in the world. When there are no clouds, you see Denali, Hunter and Foraker. Of course, there are no northern lights in the summer but in the fall it is a great place to see them. To hear what absolute silence is, this is the place to go. There are 3 cabins, simply furnished, comfortable....No indoor plumbing...as this is a 20 minute flight from Talkeetna up into the mountains. Meals are in the lodge cabin and Pam is a fantastic cook. You can hike...with Mike as your guide, berry pick, fish, or just relax and listen to the birds and the honk of the Sand Hill Cranes as they fly overhead to their southern locale for the winter. This trip we saw caribou, white fronted geese, sand hill cranes by the hundreds and a curious river otter that flopped himself up on the float plane float.
- Also Known As:
- Caribou Lodge Alaska Hotel
- Caribou Lodge Alaska Hotel Talkeetna
- Caribou Hotel Talkeetna
- Caribou Lodge Alaska Talkeetna
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a remote lake in a superb setting above timberline just S.E. of Denali Park and closer to Mt McKinley than the Park entrance or headquarters, Caribou Lodge is completely surrounded by Alaska's wild country. Owned and operated Mike & Pam who have spent the last the past 20 years living at the lodge in the Alaskan "Bush", as it is know to Alaskans. The Lodge offers a unique opportunity for guest to not only experience the awesome wilderness of Alaska, but to learn about living in it as well. From homeschooling, wolves in their huskies, grizzlies out the front door, it is all a learning experience and one enjoy sharing with a limited number of guests. Small and personal, a "Denali Park without the crowds", Caribou Lodge offers daily guided hiking, extended backpacking trips, and more, a relaxing learning experience in the Alaskan bush. Come join us! ... more less