“Flightseeing to the Summit of Mt McKinley” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Talkeetna Aero Services, Inc.

Talkeetna Aero Services, Inc.
at Talkeetna State Airport, P.O. Box 433, Talkeetna, AK 99676
907-733-2899
Website
Improve this listing
Hackensack, New Jersey
25 attraction reviews
“Flightseeing to the Summit of Mt McKinley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I hadn't planned on getting on a small plane which required oxygen masks over a certain altitude. I hadn't planned on flying high above the glaciers and mountains that are part of Mt McKinley. I hadn't expected to love the experience, and I DID!! Aside from the railroad, there is no better way to see Alaska but by air. And Talkeetna Aero Services were friendly, informative and fun. They took a nervous passenger such as myself and made me a believer. Have your cameras ready, because you can never believe the beauty you will see, and maybe even catch glimpses of climbers making it to the summit. Best thing I didn't expect to ever do!!

san jose, ca
17 attraction reviews
“Talkeetna Aero - Summit flight seeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We, a family of 4 (with two teenage kids) did a summit tour with Talkeetna Aero. It is an awesome experience. Our Pilot Dave was so good. He informed and pointed so many things during the flight. The plane is a 10 seater(including Pilot). It is well equipped with all the precautionary safety measures.
Flight seeing Mt.Mckinley from the sky is an experience not to miss.I highly recommend this for anybody

Littleton, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
“Tour was great, but plane/visibility was poor compared to TAT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I did a summit tour with Talkeetna Aero, and although it was a good tour, I was disappointed because we did aGrand Denali Tour with Talkeetna Air Taxi the previous day, and that was much better. I wanted to do a summit tour with TAT, but they had a minimum of 4 people and had nothing scheduled, so they referred me to Talkeetna Aero. Talkeetna Aero had frequent summit tours. I was able to book with them (walked in in the morning ~9 am, and was able to book a late afternoon departure for 2 people - that was earliest available). The tour was very good, and the pilot narrated the entire tour, so I found that portion to be actually better than TAT in that I learned more on the flight. However, what was most important to me was photography, the TAT planes we much better for viewing and photography. For the TAT planes, the wings were above the fuselage and the windows bubbled outward a few inches so you could view better and get less of the wing in your photos. The Talkeetna Aero plane was much older, and had the wing below. Because the plane is small, they instruct each passenger where to sit based on weight. I am guessing they put the heavier passengers foward, with the biggest in the co-pilot's seat. I was directly behind the pilot (I estimate my wife and I were 2nd biggest; I'm 180, and in case my wife reads this, that is all I can disclose). My seat was a terrible seat since I was right on the wing, and the engine cowling was high up past my HIP. The pilot did bank the plane so you could see, but the viewing was definitely limited compared to the TAT planes. Also, the windows were flat and not as pristine as the TAT plane (but good enough - just TAT's were better). The tour was definitely worthwhile and was glad I got to do a summit tour. However, I can only give an average review because I am comparing to my TAT experience. If you want to do a summit tour and have 4 people in your group, then you have more options and would recommend TAT or K2 (did not fly K2, but their planes look similar to TAT's with the wings above). if you only have 2, then you might have a hard time booking a summit flight on TAT or K2. If if you were only doing one tour (and only had 2 people), I would recommend the Grand Denali with TAT over a summit tour with Talkeetna Aero.

Miami, Florida
36 attraction reviews
“Incredible view of McKinley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Pros: The air portion was great and allowed us to see Mt. Mckinley once we got past the cloud cover. It was also neat flying through the glacier area where the mountains seemed so close but the pilot told us we were miles away.

Cons: The Denali Shuttle portion (see separate review)

Recommend? Yes

Tips: Bring sunglasses, it’s very bright up there.

The flight alone was well worth the money. We had a clear day above the clouds for touring around the top of McKinnley in the small airplane (there were four passengers in probably a 7 or 8 pax plane). Very knowledgeable pilot who pointed out a lot of interesting facts from the moment we flew out of Anchorage. One the way back from Denali, he took us on an incredible tour down around; in and out of the glaciers. It was incredible, but we were also very lucky and had great weather.

Visited July 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
9 attraction reviews
“Most Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I booked the McKinley Summit Flight for my family of 4, about 5 months in advance using the Tour Saver books. We couldn't have had booked a more perfect day!! Denali was out in full view from Talkeetna all the way to the summit. Dave was our pilot and is very knowledgeable about the mountain and surrounding areas. I was amazed how close we got to everything and felt safe the entire time. I highly recommend Talkeetna Aero - the office staff was very friendly and prompt in the booking process and the flight was just incredible. Definitely an experience of a lifetime and worth every penny.

Visited August 2011