“What a great property!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manta Ray Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Colonia
Manta Ray Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box MR | Fsm, Colonia, Yap 96943, Federated States of Micronesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Colonia
Los Angeles
“What a great property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great property and great staff! The rooms are really nice and all have great views! Room rates and the restaurant prices are good too! Dive staff was outstanding and made the diving easy and memorable! The staff also makes the airport transfers very easy. Yap and the Manta Ray Bay Resort is worth the travel!

Room Tip: All Rooms are good, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
NOVA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Bil Acker’s resort is great. It deserves more focus than to be ‘just” an extension to a Palau trip. After doing just that a few years ago, I and a dive pal decided to give Manta Ray Bay its own billing with an 8-day supersize visit. This turned out to be a good decision.

In full disclosure, as a photog I’m after interesting behaviors and sensibilities. I don’t need a single destination to offer everything, and prefer not racing from one spot on the reef to the next. I’d sooner tarry at a few sites and get to better know them and their denizens…such different treasures emerge each time, especially at different times of the day and lighting, different depths,, etc. This trip I was trying out my new ‘flo’ dive kit, so …repeated visits to a few great spots, and the calm, crittery ‘slow and easy’ dive site, were just the ticket for my purposes.

Happily, I ran of time long before I ran of critters, places and angles to explore at the handful of dive sites that I visited.

What I liked best:

- mantas, mantas, mantas. Hearing recently of the shallower “stammisch” cleaning station was what got me off my duff to make the trek, and these magnificent creatures did not disappoint. You may be tempted to complain about the limited visibility, but remember the mantas are also feeding. Keep still and they’ll come close enough that you’ll soon forget about not seeing 30 ft away. We visited every day and had them all but two dives, exhilarating. We had dives going more than an hour and a half … the guides treat you as adults and no one chases you out of the water when the action is good.

sharks – lovely cluster of grey, white and black tip sharks trolling along the gin clear walls at “vertigo.” During my visit to Palau, the sharks had stayed out too far for photography…just so many divers with folk swimming out into the blue. Here, with just 4 or 5 of us, sharks are less shy and close up photo ops were aplenty.
Although Mantas and sharks get top billing, both these locations also offer good critter and behavior spotting. Stammisch is actually a healthy coral reef with good reef fish behaviors to watch in between the manta visits. At Vertigo, I could not go more than 2 feet without finding another cleaning station.
Southern outer reefs. Adjust expectations about density and schooling fish here (this area gets commercially fished); you may well see these (as we did with barracuda and parrotfish) - but its hit and miss. So focus on whats before you… magnificent stands of healthy coral. The caverns is an intriguing maze of swim-throughs and plenty of macro life if you can tear yourself away from a wide angle mentality the location seems to beg.
- Canyons extending off the outer reefs seem little touched by human presence...our forays into these areas turned up unexplored but rich populations of cryptic juveniles of every sort – fire gobies, rock mover wrasse, crabs, nudies, etc. etc. Here, bring your macro, get close to the deck and watch the rocks come alive.
- Bill hosted an outer reef day trip on the larger boat which was a special treat

I found the dive operation here to be more flexible and accommodating than most that I’ve experienced; Dive manager Jon is a good egg and most keen that guests are happy with their experience. Comfortable, shaded boats (max six divers) offer very easy entry and boarding, and the staff was ready to work in any reasonable special requests for dive times, subjects and locations. They also took special care for new divers. As most seemed to have enough after their second tank I had the luxury of deciding whether to dive again upon the mood at the time, and often had the afternoon and/or evening boat and guide all to myself.; I was treated like an adult and never rushed out of the water. Lovely.

Resort, food and rooms: The MNUW, a quirky old schooner lashed to the resort, actually turns out with its several decks to be an ingenious venue for feeding and entertaining multiple groups. Sitting out over the water catches the sea breezes that made it a pleasure sitting outside for dining or taking in a movie on the big screen rigged on the bow.

The restaurant staff to a person was warm and wonderful ; we felt at home from day one. If there is something you want but don’t see it on the menu, ask and at minimum, you will get an honest attempt to accommodate. The fish served here was pristinely fresh. Anyone complaining here of not enough fruits and vegetables, simply hasn’t asked! At our request to try a Yapese meal , for a very reasonable price we were feted with an amazing banquet of Yapese dishes made just for us, whose centerpiece was a colossal fresh mangrove crab; Yum!

I would agree with other reviewers that, while all the rooms are clean and spacious, the ocean view rooms are especially nice and worth the upgrade. We enjoyed being treated to a complimentary upgrade for being repeat visitors, but even so the relatively small difference in price would have been worth it.

My days flew by. Several cultural, hiking and other tours are on offer here; for me, outside the diving I managed to squeeze in some kayaking in the mangroves, a lovely and serene interlude. Other activities must await a future visit.

I should mention that as we arrived in country, we received warnings about mesquito borne infections new to Yap were making the rounds. We assumed upon arrival to the resort that we would be lathering on insect repellent. Happily that was not the case. We enjoyed continual sea breezes that kept us mosquito free. I didn’t receive a single bite in 10 days. While a tour inland or to other islands would certainly merit more precautions, it was simply not necessary at the resort.

Finally worth to note, this is a comfortable place for female solo travelers. I did so on my initial visit, and during this stay crossed paths with several female visitors doing likewise. Ladies, if you want to dive, see mantas and sharks up close and do a bit of critter hunting… but don’t have a built-in dive buddy, come to Yap and enjoy.

Room Tip: facing the ocean for the breeze and view. Spa looked lovely but as I didn't have time to try it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The staff of this resort go out of their way to make you happy. In a couple of days they all have learned your name. The food is good but not much variety, but they do the best they can considering that the supplies coming to the island are far and few between. There is no tv but you can rent dvds at the front desk or a little shop 2 minutes walk. Our room was clean all the time but was showing a bit of wear. If you do not dive no much else to do. The pool is nice but no shade. The dive shop staff, manager Jan Sledsen is a gem! I had a problem on one dive that required a few visits to the hospital. Jan made sure I was taken care of he accompanied me all three times, I can't thank him enough. Our dive boat staff ( Mike and Matt ) were knowledgeable about the dive sites and gave us history of the native people and their island. All around great guys.

Room Tip: Ground floor as no elevators
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1,273 helpful votes 1,273 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

It's not easy at all to reach Yap Island ! But once there through Manila for instance, you'll see more Manta Rays than in every other spot in the world. We especially appreciated the Professional capacities of Jan Sledsen (a Belgian guy lost there for a few years already) and would love to go back there asap !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great dive resort focused on the total guest experience. We loved our time there diving with the magnificent mantas. The staff at the resort exceeded our expectations in every way. The team on our dive boat found Mantas on every dive, and the Mandarin fish were a special treat.

• Stayed February 2013
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Mac who came to Yap during the peace corps stayed and built the resort and he is a character and runs a great dive expereince. I loved the island, the people, the history and the pelagics. What a great, once in a lifetime expericne. I would recoment it highly to anyone who is daring and wants off the beaten path yet desires a great dive experience with unique beings of the Ocean.

Room Tip: Don't actually recall. I trust the staff to respond to your needs. They are great, Just dont'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The rooms were spacious with themed bed covers which were beautifully done. Unique dining experience with all meals on their own floating restaurant and their own microbrewery. The beer was excellent as was the coconut cream pie with vanilla ice cream. The dive operation was great with each diver having their own locker for equipment which meant your room was not filled with wet gear. The gift shop had sporadic hours since the staff that mans the shop also doubles as the spa staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Manta Ray Bay Resort? Share your experiences!