“Very Satisfied” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manta Ray Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Colonia
Manta Ray Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box MR | Fsm, Colonia, Yap 96943, Federated States of Micronesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Colonia
Nuuk, Greenland
“Very Satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Best place in Colonia, stayed on Yap for a month. And had a blast at Manta Ray, the staff is really service minded, they remember your name always takes the time to talk to you and help out with any problem their might be.
Attached to the resort they have a spa, diveshop, restaurant and a bar. The restaurant and bar is on a old boat they anchored in the bay infront of the hotel. Great place to meet other divers or yatch people, get a beer and talk to other divers. Have a certain drink everyday at reduced cost, and happy hour from 4 to 6.
Great place, i loved it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Fantastic boutique hotel and restaurant-bar. Very comfortable, well appointed and serviced rooms. Floating restaurant and bar is an experience on its own. Pool is a delight. The staff are all wonderful, friendly and helpful. You feel like its a stay with family, yet definitely not intrusive. Colonia, Yap is a beautiful quiet little town and the Yapese people are traditional in many ways but always friendly. Unique little part of the world and the Manta Ray is a great place to stay and see it. Only negative was the internet, slow, expensive and unreliable but apparently its just that way in Yap and not the fault of the hotel.

Room Tip: Different styles are available, all good, but if you can get a water view that is even better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rye, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to Palau first then over to Yap to Manta Ray Bay. We were in room 301 with the jacuzzi on the roof. Everything about Manta went so....smooth. I was nervous at first when we were scheduled to dive at 8:30 am after flying from Palau and getting to our room at 5 am. We went to the dive shop in the morning and Jan took care of it. The diving was the best we've done in all our 600 + dives in the Caribbean . The hotel was wonderfully small and well run. The food was GREAT! I was so nervous about reviews on trip advisor about the food. I had told my husband to expect hamburgers and pizza daily, Instead we got amazing seafood dishes ! Thank you to Detlef the person who ran the kitchen. He was like a personal chef asking us how we liked everything on a daily basis. The rest of all the staff were so wonderful and friendly. I hated to leave. Thanks also to Terencia and Jocelyn for being such amazing members of the Mnuw staff. Nico the dive master was great,professional,and of course showed us the best of Yap ( under the water). Yap in general was so special .I hope it never changes. Definitely see the island . We did the cultural tour and rented a car for a few hours. Yap and Manta Ray Bay Hotel should be on every divers to do list! I just hope it can always remain a wonderful semi untouched outpost for me and my friends the manta rays !

Room Tip: 301 rooftop jacuzzi is great after diving!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Wonderful experience .....diving with Manta Rays was awesome....staff is super friendly and helpful
Rooms and food were outstanding..... Bill recommended we book when the 45th Yap Festival was going on so we had the local festival as a wrap up to a perfect dive vacation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

December 2012 & Janurary 2103 was one of many scuba trips weve done in our lives & the 1st with our then 16 month old son Kai. After spending time in Pohnpei & Chuuk, Manta Ray Bay was another level of service, luxury & friendship. The water front room was awesome with our own private fresh water pool & the meals & service from the staff was personalised & with ease. Then there was the diving with local Brad there with us for many dives catching awesome photos of shark feeds, manta rays, reef dives & all Yap had to offer nice work Brad Chur Bro!! If we ever return Yap will be 1st on the list & for longer next time to really appreciate the beauty of this amazing place. Az Trish & Kai

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you are a scuba diver and you want one of the best diving experiences of your life, I highly recommend Manta Ray Bay Resort on the island of Yap in Micronesia. I flew there from California (enduring twenty-plus hours of air travel each way) and would do it again in a heartbeat. The owner, Bill Acker, his wife Patricia, and their incredible staff made every day a pleasure. They have managed to assemble a staff that cares for the guests/ divers in a fun, relaxed environment, putting the extra effort in whenever needed. The daily dive operation is run by Jan (yan) Sledsens who makes certain that every diver is safe and enjoys their vacation. The facility at Yap Divers was one of the best I have ever seen. The set-up for dive cameras is second to none. Multiple work stations, with locking cabinets for storage, US & European voltage for equipment, and (my favorite) was a magnifying lamp for those intricate camera needs (I had to disassemble/reassemble part of my Canon housing to stop a trickle leak and the work station was a dream come true).
The food was great (overseen by the incomparable Detlef). Big portions, fresh, quality food (even on the diving trips we were able to custom order our meals daily and there was so much food that I felt bad about wasting any) Everyone at the resort was raving about the food!
Did I mention BEER? The resort has its own brewery! The Stone Money Brewing Company brews 2 styles: Hammerhead Amber and Manta Gold. Both excellent beers and both beer and food are all served on board a moored Indonesian ship (The S V Mnuw) converted into a restaurant/ bar near the main boat dock. The upper deck is a bar open to the air, below that is the main bar/ dining room, and below that level is the main salon/ dining room. Breakfasts were included with the room rate, and never disappointed. I NEVER had a bad meal or beer during my 8 days there!
Diving: WOW! 3 dives a day, twilight dives with Mandarin Fish, groups of Manta Rays gliding over our heads, reef & black tip sharks everywhere at Vertigo Reef, incredible marine life at Slow n Easy Reef, and amazing swim-throughs at Yap Caverns Reef. We had diversity and also were able to talk with the Dive Masters and decide where the boat would go on many days (weather and visibility permitting). I guess you can tell I loved this destination. Dive it, Love it!

Room Tip: Go to mantaray.com for full floor plans of the resort. I stayed in Rm. 306, and ANY of the ocean-fro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Highly recommend the warm Pacific waters with lots of friendly Mantas to see. And the best dive resort I've ever had a pleasure to stay. Everything works with a professional but friendly and personal touch.
Great all-round quality starting from rooms, dive masters, boats, food, beer ending to island beauty and stunning dives, and all in-between. Don't miss (I am missing already).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Manta Ray Bay Resort? Share your experiences!