“Absolute shocker!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Truk Blue Lagoon Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chuuk
Truk Blue Lagoon Resort
You added Truk Blue Lagoon Resort to your Saves list
Weno, Chuuk 96942 , Federated States of Micronesia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chuuk
Melbourne, Australia
“Absolute shocker!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

The resort hasn't had any money spent on it since it was sold to the dive shop operator - the sewage pipes leak sewage and toilet paper onto the grounds (fixed by throwing sand over them!), the wooden benches, pathways and stairs are rotting away, the carpets and linen are torn and tattered. The equipment in the dive shop is really poor - air leaks and gauges filled with water. We dived one day with Truuk Stop (which is supposed to be worse) and their dive boat was much newer, their guide much more accommodating, and their equipment brand new - worth considering. The restaurant had hardly any food on the menu - chicken caesar salad consists of chicken and pieces of cabage! Two days they had no reef fish - how can this be possible??

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Stayed at the Blue Lagoon Resort for three days prior to a two week trip on the Truk Odyssey and then again for a day afterward. After reading various reviews here and elsewhere I knew it was going to be better than the Truk Stop but I had very low expectations and was still prepared to leave a little room to be disappointed...

However, I thought the Blue Lagoon resort was a great place! Rustic? You bet! Were the beds what you'd get in a Westin? No. But look at the picture of the view from my room! Were the sheets a bit in need of replacing? Uh, yeah. But look at the photo of the view from my room! Was the bathroom what you would expect in a Ritz Carlton? Of course not! But look at the view from my room. If you had that proximity to the water and that view in a Westin or Marriott the room would be $600 a night. Which was more than I paid for 4 days at the Blue Lagoon including all my restaurant and bar tabs! But for the price and the location it was perfectly fine in every way!

Now, by way of context I'll let you know that this trip for me was a complete "get away from everything" trip. Just left my job and taking some time off and my wife was kind enough to grant me permission to go on a "dive trip of a lifetime" and I was not going to let anything bother me along the way. Though that is my usual mindset when traveling on vacation anyway - and it should be yours too!

I was traveling by myself for 20 days, arriving in Chuuk at noon on Friday after leaving NJ at noon on Wednesday (Newark-Tokyo, Tokyo-Guam, Guam-Truk) and was pretty wiped out when I boarded the Blue Lagoon's shuttle bus for the ride to the resort. As I heard one person who had been to Truk previously say, the bus that brought us from the airport will be the most dangerous wreck you'll encounter all week!

The grounds were very well maintained and quite nice. Not the Four Seasons, to be sure, but verdant green grass and foliage, flowering hibiscus here and there, lots of shading palm trees, etc. Check in was painless, and somewhat refreshing to my "get away from it all" mindset in these days of computerized reservation systems to find my reservation was simply recorded on sheet of paper attached to a clip-board. The front desk staff was very friendly and quite helpful. And after only a few minutes I was on my way to my room, with three staff members helping me with my bags.

Room 119 is on the side of the resort opposite the dive shop. I liked the location personally, as it was a little quieter than the other side of the resort (though in truth the whole place is quiet really) Was only a couple of hundred yards walk to the dive shop, so no big deal to me but if you want to be closer to the shop, be sure to request that side of the resort. The picture I've attached says it all when it comes to room location! In between dives or after a day of diving it was great to grab a cold drink or a beer and sit on my deck with a book and hear nothing but the lapping of the water on a little beach that would make any Corona Beer commercial proud! They also had lounge chairs you could grab and bring onto one of the beaches or simply find a spot under a palm tree to plop yourself down and relax. Grab a few beach towels from the front desk as well. (NO - they are not the type of towels you'd get at a Ritz-Carlton!)

The room itself was fine. In-room furnishings were older Rattan type but functional. Two double beds, a table and two chairs in a smallish room, but you don't fly 17,000 miles to stay in your room. There's a TV, but there's not any TV stations or cable in Chuuk, so I'm not sure what the TV is for. Some rooms have DVD players apparently, but mine did not. The front desk said they'd move one from an unoccupied room if I wanted one, but I wouldn't have turned the TV on anyway. The deck furniture consisted of simple resin chairs and table. What more do you need? Whenever I would sit out there reading my book one of the house cats - a "thinner than air" black cat - would come sit on my lap and purr for a belly rub. The air conditioning worked fine to keep the room cool, and there was a fridge that I kept stocked with beer from the gift shop and water bottles that I filled from the jug of drinking water in the bathroom mixed with some powdered Gatorade brought from home.

The bathroom was nothing to write home about; either positively or negatively. The cold water was cold, the hot water was hot, the water pressure in the shower was fine, and the toilet flushed. Again, what more do you want? There was a great big closet in the bathroom area which was great to keep all your bags spread out and dive gear sorted. I was traveling alone so I had plenty of room but I can imagine that if there were twice as many people - and bags - in the room it might have been a little tight. Still doable no problem though.

The restaurant and bar staff were friendly and attentive in the relaxed “we’re not in a hurry and you shouldn’t be either” fashion typical of any Caribbean or Pacific island destination. Food prices were quite reasonable and the broad menu selection had plenty of choices, though keep in mind that on a tiny island in the middle of the largest ocean on the planet “being on the menu” doesn’t always mean the same thing as “being available today.” The French toast I had for breakfast each morning was quite literally the best I’ve ever had – explaining why I had it three days in a row. Lunch and dinner I stayed with fish for the most part, knowing it would be available and fresh. Was not disappointed! The “fish and chips” was made of local reef fish and was really very good. Dinner entrée portion was almost enough for two, and with vegetables and rice or French fries was only $8.95. (Better food and much better price than you’d get at those Westins or Ritz Carltons I keep referring to!) Someone I had dinner with one night complained that the Fettuccini Carbonara they ordered wasn’t very good, but what on earth did they expect ordering an Italian dish on a Pacific island that most US Italian restaurants can’t get right!

The two bars are fine. The indoor bar by the front desk is nice for lunch to take advantage of the AC. I liked the outdoor one in the evening for dinner and a few beers. When you sit down ask them to put whatever beer you want on ice for you, as they don’t seem to be terribly cold out of their fridge. Divers will congregate out there until closing time – which seems to really depend on how long the divers want to congregate. (No bugs that I noticed while there, but I never get bit by anything anywhere.)

Diving! Oh yeah, that’s why I went there and that’s why you’re going there. Right? (If not, you had better rethink your choice of destinations!) Since I was going to be spending 14 days of diving on the Odyssey I asked the Blue Lagoon dive shop to take me to sites not ordinarily hit by the liveaboard’s itinerary, and they were only too happy to oblige. There isn’t a dive site in the lagoon that can’t be accessed by the Blue Lagoon’s boats, with a great many of them within 20-30min ride. The “pangas” that serve as day boats aren’t exactly luxuriously comfortable but are typical of the type. Covered for shade with a few benches, and they bring a cooler of ice water along. Depending on the sites you’re diving they will either come back to the resort for a 1.5hr surface interval or they’ll anchor off one of the islands where you can snorkel or explore. (Order a boxed lunch from hotel day before.) Dive guides were great. I was with Nick and Gladvin (sp?) each day and was lucky enough to only have two other divers on our boat for the three days I dove with Blue Lagoon. They didn’t have nitrox during the time I was there – mechanical trouble with the nitrox system perhaps? The “official” story at the shop was “I think the nitrox guy, he is maybe sick today? And probably tomorrow too, no?” said with a knowing smile. You just had to laugh. I rented double 80’s which means they rent you a manifold and charge you for an extra tank fill. Easy to do three dives a day. Typically 9am, noon, and 3pm or so. You could probably get 4 in if you pushed them a bit on leaving early for the first one, but as deep as some of this stuff is you might not want to go crazy. (Especially if the “nitrox guy is maybe sick today” when you are there.) The guides know the wrecks in and out, and the briefings while “brief” are helpful. Tell them what you want to see and they will take you there.

Wireless internet access was good. You need to buy a card at the front desk which sells you access on a per MB downloaded basis. A 60mb card was $5 and lasted me the whole time I was there, checking emails and posting to ScubaBoard a few times a day.

Overall, if you are going to Truk to dive wrecks you will have a great time no matter where you stay, and if you regard the Blue Lagoon simply as a “base of operations” for that diving you should have no qualms about staying there. However, if you can embrace the Blue Lagoon Resort as the rustic, quirky resort in an idyllic location that it is – forgive the frayed edges and imperfections, greet everyone with a smile, be patient with the pace, grab a cold beer after a day of diving, pull a lounge chair onto your own private beach, put your toes in the warm Pacific, open a good book, plug in your ipod, and relax while you think about the next day's diving – you will really enjoy your stay here!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

The surrounds of the resort are beautiful, and the rooms are comfortable. The location is quiet. We went for the diving (of course) and this was run very well from the dive shop. The menu in the restaurant is a little small, but if you wanted to be fine dined you wouldn't be in Truk. we use the resort as we do 2 deep compression dives every day. If you are a new diver who wants the numbers and no-decompression diving you may be best on a live abord, but i if you want all decompression dives I would suggest to use the resort, then at least you are not confined to a boat, and you can go and explore and do your own thing.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Just spent Mar 16-23/09 at Truk Blue Lagoon Resort in Chuuk, Micronesia. Could not believe it wasn't full! The rooms we had were clean, spacious, and well appointed, including air conditioning and a small fridge. No television programs but if you want they had DVDs and players available for rent. Being on the second floor we also had a balcony. Not sure if that constituted a Superior room or not.
The resort staff were friendly and courtious, anxious to satisfy our every need. The staff at the dive shop were terriffic and the diving lived up to its claim. Fifty wrecks at various depths within 25 minutes from the resort! Has very snorkelable reef right at the dock which has fresh water showers to rinse off when you get out. We entertained ourselves, getting to know some of the other guests as there wasn't much "night-life" while we were there. (That might change with more people staying,)
Between our group and others we met we ate most of the items on the very reasonably priced restaurant menu and weren't disappointed. There was a store near the dive shop that had snacks and other refreshments.
If you like to scuba dive, it's a "Must-do!". Find a way to get there! Definately a "Divers Resort" but they do have other water sports available.
Only negative is it is a very poor island and sometimes some food items were not available. Perhaps with more visitors this will change for the better. There were some buildings not in use during our stay so they may have meeting/banquet/wedding services available. Internet in lobby dial-up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

For people who have never seen an island in the Pacific - this island will be for sure very impressive. But probably travellers who come to Chuuk have been to other places in the Pacific as we do and although the island setting is stunning there are a lot of downs which made us very happy when we finally could leave! The hotel has a lot of palm trees and a perfectly trim lawn directly at the shore which makes the setting picture perfect. The rooms are okay and the AC works well. Neverthelless we had lots of problems with mosquitoes and got bitten all over during the night. The restaurant is very good just do not opt for the barbecue which was terrible. The cats around did not bother us they keep mice and rats? of the ground. The people are friendly and the store in the hotel is very convenient but expensive. The hotel requires in general a major up - grade to be attractive and competetive with all that wonderful places around the Pacific (for example Aitutaki, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu, Easter Islands) where there are always good hotels.

Stayed January 2009
Bellingham, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

Stayed there one night after a week on The Odyssey in October 2008.
The week on the Odyssey was the diving trip of a lifetime.
We spent the last day before our flight home at the Blue Lagoon Resort. Its fine. Not fancy by any means, not even by modest American motel standards, but the food was good and the rooms clean. The grounds have many WWII relics as it was a seaplane base for the Japanese during the war.
The Odyssey is spectacular. The Blue Lagoon Resort is just okay, but at that its still probably the nicest motel around. If you're there for the diving though go for The Odyssey, not the Blue Lagoon. You'll do much more diving (3-5 dives a day) and it will be much nicer and far less hassle.
P.S. The beach BBQ at the resort was the worst meal I had all week. The regular restaurant fare was much better. I prefer not sharing my meal with cats.

• Liked — Convenience to Odyssey.
  • Disliked — Terrible beach BBQ and no swimming pool.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Trucks poor, very poor. Probably because the Governing party spends most nights getting hammered in the Truck Stop Bar and hotel.
So excluding the Truck Stop the only alternative for a decent place is the BLue Lagoon. An Oasis admist poverty. Great Staff, great owner. Fantastic guides for diving (why else would you visit Truck).
Diving was fantastic. Penetrated 7 of the ships (All featured on back of their tank tops) with a guide who knew his stuff. They taailored everything to suit me and my three days in the Blue lagoon were great. However if you find yourself in Blue lagoon and your not a diver your going to be a little let down.
Excellent food and friendly staff from the one restaurant.

• Liked — Diving facilities and organisation excellent
  • Disliked — Outside the reort was pure poverty
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Truk Blue Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!