“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Timaru
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Enjoy the award winning Speight's Ale House in Timaru. We have an the immense outdoor courtyard, great southern food and hospitality. Try some of local cuisine, from small/shared plates to larger meals. Private dining rooms available. Come and experience the best in Timaru!
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I USED to love Speights. Meals were always consistant and I knew what I liked & what I was getting. Hadnt been in a few months, went for a work function & ordered my usual fave - chicken parcels & they were a huge disappointment.
Used to get two parcels, menu mustve changed and you get one now but for the same price & the recipe seemed to have totally changed. Was horrible. Didnt eat it & left hungry!
Needless to say I havnt been back in over a year.
Visit was May 2012.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TheSpeightsAleHouse, Owner at Speights Ale House, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thanks for you review, we have since changed our chicken parcels, so I am sure that is not the case now, please make sure you tell us on the night so we can fix it for you and please post reviews at the time of your dining. Thanks Nigel

Atherton, Australia
“Great meal with old friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Top range of meals at reasonable prices. The lamb shanks on mash were delicious followed up by a calorie ridden dessert.

Visited May 2013
Miami Beach
“Great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The best fish and chips and salad we had in New Zealand. Waiter was so nice too. the building is quite old. It is attached to the information center and the new Mapri museum so it was convenienent and tasty.

Visited April 2013
Geraldine, New Zealand
“Great Beer , average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love the atmosphere of this place. You can take a large group of friends and the staff are
generally pretty friendly.
Problem is, Ive been several times and the food has always just been average.
The other reviews are pretty much raving about how good the food is...maybe I always
pick the wrong thing. I dont eat much meat....maybe thats the problem.
I wont go again unless its with a group of people I really want to go out with, then it will be for the company....Not the food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Great fish and beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

As beer lovers we were disappointed to arrive on a holiday on which the serving of beer without food consumption was not allowed. We had already intended to have dinner anyway, but all tables were taken and no bar food was on offer. First there was a bit of a struggle because we could neither be seated nor order a beer without food, but the staff were very helpful and found a space for us and even quickly served our food before serving a large group that also had just placed their orders. The food (we had seafood chowder and groper) was fantastic, I had never expected such great seafood in a brewery pub, and we really enjoyed the different beers on tap as well.

• Visited April 2013