“Time for an upgrade!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Time for an upgrade!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2015

I have stayed at Cedar Motor Lodge on numerous occasions over the past twenty-five years and have almost always come away totally satisfied with the experience. When I went to check out this morning, the manager asked if everything had been okay. My reply was that when it came to accommodation, I always looked for "the three k's" (poor spelling, but succinct) - kleanliness, komfort and kwiet, all of which I had found in Unit Three. However, I went on to say that the condition of the wallpaper and fittings in the second bedroom really let the side down. There was a big tear in the wallpaper and one light fitting was only hanging on by a thread, and I said I wouldn't be happy to recommend any else staying there in the condition it was found in. I think the manager and her staff do a great job with their efficiency and friendliness, but the owner of the motel needs to address some of things that make this otherwise good establishment rather tired and shabby. The manager was in total agreement and was going to pass on my comments to the owner. I will be interested to see if any action is taken - hopefully pretty soon!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed 2 weeks for work and brought my family along. Staff were very friendly and helpful and made the stay for my wife and 2 babies very comfortable while I was working. I don't think you could get better service in timaru, and the rooms are warm, comfortable, clean and equipped with everything you need.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Waimate, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

On booking offered us a room that meet our needs. On arrival very friendly welcome, could have not been more helpfull,No problems taking our small dog, very clean and well appointed, would certainly stay again.One of the best and cleanest motels we have stayed at in the last 25 years.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have stayed at Cedar Motor Lodge for a very long time since 1986. I have always been really impressed with the friendly service and the units standard over the years.
The present owner Lynton has always tried to accommodate my needs.
The beds were really comfortable, and most importantly in Timaru, there was no traffic sound. All rooms have updated bathrooms and separate toilets. Fully kitchen facilities which is handy if you need to self cater.
I have stayed at other motels in Timaru over the years, but this is by far the best in my opinion. Pricing was average but I felt we got our moneys worth well and truly.
Lynton is always on for a goss esp if its around the Rugby.

Room Tip: Quietest Units are down the back of property.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rotorua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This motel was a port in a storm for us as we had booked somewhere else in Timaru which was highly unsatisfactory. The two bedroom unit we had was well worth the money. Warm & cosy & well
organised. The shower was a bit small. You could actually live in the unit as it is big & has lazy boy chairs! A good heater also. We spent five nights here & we have no complaints at all. We even got a paper delivered each morning for free! The only drawback was that you have to pay $10 to use the laundry facilities! No washing lines either. Apart from that though we found the units exceptionally comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the complex away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We just called in here as we were passing looking for somewhere to spend the night. And we couldn't have picked better.
Nice friendly staff, clean and tidy room, very peaceful - just right!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We stayed at Cedar Motor Lodge for 2 nights with our 3 teenage kids. We were really impressed with the friendly service and our room was great. They had even made up a proper bed in the lounge for our son so he didn't have to sleep in our room with us - without us requesting it, which was a nice touch. The beds were really comfortable and there was no traffic sound. It's the first time I've ever slept well for the first night of a stay. Room had spa bath and separate toilet. Fully kitchen facilities.

We have stayed at 3 other motels in Timaru with family rooms, but this is by far the best, and we'll be returning. Pricing was average but we felt we got our moneys worth well and truly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Cedar Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!