“Homely Feel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 43 Restaurants in Timaru
Cuisines: European, Healthy, Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A neighborhood place and now a Timaru institution, TGB (The Grosvenor Bar) is located in a one of a kind historical building with dramatic high ceilings, nostalgic exposed brick and modern touches. Wet your appetite with local, regional and international beers and cider. Then enjoy innovative tavern fare including traditional roasts, urban burgers, fresh salads, wrap, artisanal sandwiches and many other Kiwi favourites.
Xiamen, China
“Homely Feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was stranded in Timaru for the night & thank you for the company of the lovely staff at TGB, which happened to be the bar/restaurant for the historical Grosvenor Hotel. I was tired and cranky and apart from helping me to check in, the staff who was just about to pack up stayed on and asked if I wanted to have a nibbles and a night cap before retiring for the night. I said that I wouldn't want to be a bother which she brushed off. She made me a sandwich and keeping me company. Such a wonderful gesture for someone like myself who had been on the road for quite some time and the one thing that I aspired for is a warm interaction. I woke up refreshed the next day and I take the opportunity to express my gratitude and appreciation for a little bit of human kindness and not mere commerce. Well-done, TGB!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I haven't been back to the Grosvenor for over a decade. What used to be a glorious establishment got into disrepair & the owner then alienated a lot of regulars. When a mate of mine indicated to me that the Grosvenor has had a complete make-over, I had my reservations. And so, with trepidation, I attended a farewell drink there with my mates. WOW came into my mind as I walked in. At 8pm, the place was pumping. Staff behind the bar was flat tack serving drinks & there were standing rooms only. People were scattering around the pub drinking and feasting. To much my amazement, a bowl of complimentary waffle-fries (according to the staff, the concept was imported from USA by her 'eccentric' boss) was put in front of us. For someone who used to be working in London for a decade, TGB evoked the ambiance of an English pub, hospitable and quaint. Perhaps, the exterior may be a tad misleading with its rundown look but the moment you stepped inside, you're literally transported into another world. TGB deserves an accolade & let's hope this review is to kick start its trajectory to something greater than it is now. Keep up the great work!

• Visited June 2012