“reeks of old cigarettes, things not working, no powerpoints!” 1 of 5 stars

12 White Star Motel
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   12 White Street, Timaru, New Zealand   |
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Melbourne Australia
“reeks of old cigarettes, things not working, no powerpoints!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We picked it for a cheap overnight to break our drive from Dunedin to Hanmer Springs. Picked it mostly based on being an all non-smoking property (as cig smells give my friend asthma and me asthma, sinusitis and migraines).

The sofa is from the 1970s and has 40 years or so of smoke in it. The carpet isn't much better. I took a double dose of Telfast and was still ill. My friend left with asthma. Whenever we sat on the sofa we were itchy.
I pulled off the sofa arm protector (expecting it to be gross underneath) and found a white-tailed spider living in it.

The KB is sunken in the middle and only one side of the electric blanket worked.

The twin bedroom had only one powerpoint, with a powerboard attached. Only one point of the powerboard worked. This meant only one bed had use of its electric blanket.

There was no hair-dryer (although Wotif info says there is one) and if there had been, there was nowhere to plug it in anyway!

There were no powerpoints for charging laptops, cameras, phones, etc and we had to piggy back everything (including kettle and toaster) on the powerboard from the same point as fridge and microwave. Of course it overloaded!

The bins were not emptied from previous occupant.

Light globe was missing from one light in twin room.

And a whole host of other minor complaints...

But the "smoke free" property thing really cheesed me off . People choose "smoke-free" properties so they don't have to put up with the smell of other guests' cigs (and many of us have associated health probs). If the property still reeks of smoke, it's false advertising as far as I'm concerned.

Avoid at all costs.... unless of course you're a heavy smoker with no appliances to charge and who is ok with white-tailed spiders!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
graber12, Owner at 12 White Star Motel, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
I was having a 3 day break in Australia at the time of this review and am assured by our meticulous minder that the unit did not reek of cigarette smoke. It didnt when I left, and it did not when I returned home.
Yesterday asked guest to read the above review and smell the sofa, and he was surprised to say the least. In other words he could not smell anything.
Sofa is jolly comfortable!!! and also very comfortable to sleep on. Old yes, but she is still sturdy. I have a modern one inside and am told it is not comfortable. Pretty yes.
Spiders!!! Kate could not find one, and we couldn't when we came home also. I leave my units open during the day, so they are thoroughly aired out. So I daresay one or two spiders might look for free accommodation. I am a New Zealander, and not afraid of little spiders. If I find one, I pick the jolly thing up and put it on a plant outside. Good grief!!! I do not personally know of anyone who has been bitten by a spider.
I found the reviewers phone number in Australia and phoned her after reading this review for the first time this week. She told me her friend had brain damage through an accident and has lost her sense of smell and the smoke smell had caused her to have a migraine.
My minder told me as she was still cleaning out units she allowed them to stay longer. They left at 10.30am (out time is 10am) They left empty wine bottles which is fine, but am amazed they were able to drink with migraines. Large quantities of half eaten takeaway were also left behind.
If you come to my place, check out the units, if you like them stay, if you do not, I will help you find somewhere else.
12 White Star Motel, has 4 x two bedroomed units, they are roomy, and have great outlooks from the living areas. It is nice and quiet. Have a nice day, and if travelling enjoy your holiday.
Carpet is green flecked and about 7 years old. Regularly cleaned. It is fine.
Power points. Our motel was built of good solid materials 40 years ago, and wasn't build for all the mod cons I guess, but we have a double point in the kitchen area, one for the fridge freezer, the other takes a power board x 4 which takes the microwave etc. The stove at the time of this guest had its power point fail, which has since been repaired. The stove was working perfectly otherwise. It is approximately 4 years old. Power point No 2 is by the TV and also takes a power board x 4 for the radio etc. Power point 3 and 4 are in each of the bedrooms and take power board x 4 also. I had just bought a new powerboard which was in Unit 3 from a hardware store, but unfortunately it was hard to plug into. I have since learnt only to by from an electrical supplier. Something to be noted by all and sundry.
KB otherwise King sized bed. It is fine. Guest I spoke to about sofa also confirmed this. The KB is one that can be split in two so we can accommodate sportsteams. We only have four units, so by splitting beds and using our comfy sofas, teams can have a whole motel to themselves in a quiet location.
Electric blanket not working on KB. Would help if you plugged it in.
Hairdryer was in the third drawer of bathroom vanity, where it was when I left and still was when I came home. There are 4 soaps shampoos and facecloths in the 1st drawer and 2 rolls of toilet paper in the 2nd drawer.
Access to the internet has been provided to every unit. This has recently been installed.
Light bulb in singles bedroom. I will take it on board for myself or cleaners to check that all lights are working when units are cleaned out.
Smokefree, truly, as I said before, I was away that weekend enjoying family time. I am assured by my minder that there was no smoking in the unit beforehand. I totally trust her. I came home to everything totally in place, with everything noted, along with a note stating they had two women staying who they were wary about from the start. Was told others staying loved the surroundings, the trees and the outlook. One complained that to use the internet it was necessary to sit in the office. As I said, this has been rectified. It has taken forever for my husband to decide on which is the best way to do it. I blame him!!!! Tell him if you like. He is lovely, you will like him.

Rubbish left in unit. My minder is meticulous. The cutlery was even polished and totally lined up when I came home. Because of this I find it hard to accept this claim. She is a gem.

O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)

Been to 12 White Star Motel? Share your experiences!