“awful” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I feel compelled to write a review after our awful experience yesterday. I had previously visited Joust a year ago and loved it, so I had been looking forward to attending again yesterday. Admittedly it was Father’s Day lunch and was busy, but you would have thought they would have anticipated that. The food was ok for a buffet, but the service ghastly. The drinks were really expensive and they took such a long time be brought to the table. I ordered a lemon lime and bitter, but it never came. I was charged for it though. They did take that off the bill when I quibbled about it. They gave me a pink lemonade, which I ever ordered. The service was so bad that I couldn’t be bothered arguing about it. They charged me for that. On the bill was “6 X table covers” which was charged at $7.50. Couldn’t work out what that was for except maybe they charged us for the placemats since there were 6 of us?? I had carefully saved up 6 vouchers that were for a glass of wine of beer per person. Hence I was thinking I could get 6 drinks as part of that. Only 2 of them were glasses of wine, but I thought we could proabably use them for non-alcoholic drinks instead. However was told when paying that it was only wine and beer. Weird when soft drinks are supposedly cheaper than alcoholic ones. Overall a disappointing lunch experience. At $160.40 for the 6 of us (2 of which were kids), it was an over=priced experience. we won’t be back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Terrible food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went to Joust on fathers day after friends of the family had recommended it. Granted - we didn't complain at the time as this was a lunch for my father in law and we didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable so it's possible that they could have addressed some issues that we had given the chance, but definitely not all.

We sat down and noticed the Tablecloth was wet, like it had been wiped down with a damp cloth or not dried properly.

Soft drinks were flat and not cheap!

Food - it was just awful.

Starters were all seafood and looked like they had been sat there for days. Not sure how this was even possible as they were quite busy and must have been replacing them semi-frequently. I decided to skip this course.

Mains were just slop, had no idea what they were because they had no names against them (this is not hard to do surely). It was all lukewarm and edible but not enjoyable in the slightest.

Dessert was just ok. Noting exciting.

The only saving grace for this place was that the staff were all very friendly.

We won't be going back and I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Auckland
“Family gathering, perfect at Joust.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Came here for a big family gathering and we were impressed.
The staff were very informative and helpful, and there was a big selection of food and drink.
We were also able to use the outdoor space, and the staff were able to help us with cakes and drinks etc. Most of the food was very delicious, a big variety of different foods as well. We would definitely consider coming again if we were near the area. The only problem was that they didn't label the food, but we didn't mind asking the staff. This was a great, memorable lunch :)

• Visited July 2013
Warkworth, New Zealand
“Pleasantly suprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We saw this restaurant advertised in the local paper and thought we would give it a try, we were not disappointed! The service was great, the staff were friendly and attentive, and the presentation, variety and taste of the food was excellent. All in all a good experience and we will definitely go back.

• Visited June 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lunch at joust”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

First time patron, was not sure what to expect. We eat out a lot and were surprised at the excellence of the service, presentation and taste of the food. A lot of effort had gone into the dishes especially the desserts, there was almost too much choice, the homemade Rocky Road being my particular favourite. The entrees were delicious, the standouts for us the prawn cocktail and the raw fish. Not a murmur of complaint from any of the 4 for lunch the only slight niggle was the lack of food labelling, I would like to tell other people what I enjoyed.
Now having read other reviews I perhaps would not have tried Joust, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it's one I will definitely be eating and recommending again.

• Visited June 2013