“My second home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dakune Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ohakune
Dakune Lodge
You added Dakune Lodge to your Saves list
42 Park Avenue, Ohakune 4625, New Zealand   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“My second home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have stayed at Dakune Lodge weekly over the spring/summer months for the past 3 years and have recommended it to many of my friends and colleagues. The facilities are excellent, warm spacious double rooms, an extremely well appointed kitchen worthy of any master chef, a great living area with large dining and lounge. Clean spa pool, spacious drying room, plenty of hot water, and great showers. This lodge makes a business trip luxury! The hosts are so friendly, flexible and accomodating to my sometimes odd hours associated with wildlife management work. Nothing is a problem and it is great value for money. Nic and Tash make me feel ike a part of the family and have great local knowldge to assist tarvellers on local attractions, facilities, ski reports and more...

Room Tip: Rooms on east side are quieter away from car park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for giving us such positive feedback. We do try to give information out so everyone can make the most of our beautiful town and the facilities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I would recommend (and have done on my facebook page) this beautiful place and friendly hosts to anybody who wishes a quiet, comfortable and relaxed place to stay. I've stayed at Dakune lodge many times on business over the past year and have been very impressed with the value for money I have enjoyed, and having Nic and Tasha as excellent hosts has made my stay all the more enjoyable! I will be back this winter with my family for a weekend of skiing as I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Can't wait to try out the spa and sauna, whilst my kids enjoy the multitute of games on offer..........

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas C, Manager at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow! Amazing feedback. Thank you so much. However ... A word of warning. Winter weekends here are not as quiet if the mountain is closed. We sometimes do kids cooking lessons or play various games which can get quite noisy at times. Summers are peaceful .... but winter tends to be a bit more up beat.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We recommend this place. We have stayed at the Dakune Lodge 3 times and are going back this school holidays. We feel totally at home. The hosts and facilities are great. Spa, sauna, pool table, large shared area with an open fire, and lots of games.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
thanks so much for taking the time to place feedback. It is really good to know your whole family feel relaxed and enjoy all we have to offer. See you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Wonderful hosts and location would recommend to anyone. Love the kitchen and dining area. Nice clean spa. Yummy free range eggs from their chickens! Good facilities for drying clothes. Nice warm lodge.

• Stayed February 2013
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come again anytime you are in the area.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

What a suprise and a joy to have found some similiar experiences that we've had in this place. It is all fine except the attitude of the guy (grandpa age). When we arrived there, we were not sure which way was the entrance and my husband and I went in two different entrances. The owner guy soon followed me and asked at once who I'm looking for (as if he's suspicious of me), no greetings at all. I said I was looking for my husband. So, the first impression wasn't good at all.
The facilities were fine. The communal area was fine. It is just that atmosphare that they put on. Something uncomfortable... It seems the woman is fine like other reviewrs mentioned. When we used the spa at night, we were sharing jokes and me and our daughter laughed and giggled quietly, we thought. Soon, the guy literally "told us off'" for laughing! It was very unpleasant. The whole atmosphare is like you've got to be VERY carefull in this place. We're not going back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your response, Feedback is always helpful to enable us to improve our facilities.

Since you were here we have put up clear signs to indicate the way to the main entrance and I do apologise if you felt uncomfortable when you arrived. We pride ourselves on being easy going and do our best to look after our guests and make them feel welcome.

The spa pool is turned off at 10pm and anyone still in it after then is asked to replace the lid when they have finished and to be quiet as the bedrooms are close by and noise carries at night. I am sorry if you were offended by this but we do have to consider all our guests in this aspect.

If you ever took the chance to come back we would endeavour to make your stay enjoyable.

South Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed for three midweek nights at the lodge and can not recommend it enough. The facilities were great, the lodge was very comfortable and the price is right.
As a lodge it has everything you might need, including a large communal area with a large fireplace.
In complete contrast to other reviewers we were all made to feel right at home. NIcolas and Tasha (and the pets!) could not have been more welcoming.

Our children thought they were at their grandparents. They even got our son to eat some vegetables (with the really great home cooked food) and that takes some doing.

We will certainly stay at the lodge again if we ever make it back to NZ.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay.

When I cook for families I try to make food tasty for everyone, not just the adults. As with 6 kids and 2 grandchildren of our own I have had plenty of practice in getting them to eat their greens!

Nicolas and I would love to see you all if ever you come this way again.

Waitakere City, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Nice facilities but it would be much more comfortable if the guy who runs it left it to his wife to deal with the guests. To say that the guy doesnt like children would be an understatement. The way he acts I get the feeling that he doesnt like people at all.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback so that we can find out how to improve what we offer.

I am really sorry you feel children are not welcome here when quite the opposite is true – we provide many facilities just for them.

Nicolas and I work very hard to look after the interest of everybody in our communal home. Occasionally we have to step in to keep an even keel, especially when children get into mischief when left unsupervised (we know this from our own kids). Keeping everybody happy … all the time, can be a mission.

I apologize if Nicolas came across this way, but I'm pleased you found me OK and that you thought the facilities are nice.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Tasha

Been to Dakune Lodge? Share your experiences!