“Nice little cafe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of OCR Cafe (Old Coach Road Ohakune)

OCR Cafe (Old Coach Road Ohakune)
2 Tyne Street, Ohakune 4625, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Nice little cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This definitely is the best cafe in Ohakune. Mind you it's slim pickings there. We had the eggs benedict w salmon and the OCR Grill which was yum. Staff were friendly but service was slow. Nice atmosphere but if there are small kids about (there's a play area for them) it can be noisy. Coffee was good too.

“Fabulous food, friendly staff, great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a thursday night (2 adults,a 7 y.o and an 18 month old) after being given a rather luke-warm reception at one of the larger places in Ohakune (do you have a booking? the place was empty! ) and were welcomed with open arms. There was a great corner set up for families with lots for the kids to do (the whole New World Little Shop set up, building blocks etc) , the meals (adults and childrens) were yummy and huge. The wine list was not your generic fair with good choice and the whole Clearview Estate range at great prices. Our 7 year olds kids menu steak and chips were in her words "the best i've ever had". In fact it was so good we returned for breakfast the next morning! So next time you're in the 'Kune, bypass the big boys and support the locals!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ocrbecks, Owner at OCR Cafe (Old Coach Road Ohakune), responded to this review, October 12, 2013
It was a pleasure I'm glad the kids enjoyed the toy corner and there food thanks The team @ OCR
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
“My search has ended.........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

When I first ate here a few months ago I thought I'd finally found New Zealand's best breakfast. Well, after again ordering the OCR Grill I can 100% confirm that the best breakfast in NZ is found at OCR Ohakune.
Great food, friendly and helpful staff and a chilled and relaxed atmosphere make for a great venue that I only wish was a little closer than the 3 hour drive from Wellington.
Fantastic coffee too and make sure you take a Brownie!!

• Visited September 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Would love to have had the chance to write a good review but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

...we were not afforded the opportunity to dine at OCR. My partner and I arrived at the restaurant around 7:45pm on Saturday night and were greeted at the door. We asked for a table for two and the young woman looked at us like it was an odd request. She asked if we had a reservation and when we declined, she said she would be right back. There were 3 tables dining at the time. The woman returned to tell us they couldn't accommodate us. Thinking that was odd, we said we could wait for a table and have a drink. She said they were fully booked as they had a table coming in at 8 and 8:30. We were left standing awkwardly at the door as we looked around at the 12 patrons dining. My past experience working in a broad spectrum of hospitality establishments had me questioning why we were turned away. There was obviously room and a rush of 2 tables coming in a half hour apart. That's hardly a rush. Unfortunate as the previous reviews seem great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ocrbecks, Owner at OCR Cafe (Old Coach Road Ohakune), responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am very sorry that you missed out on dinning at OCR, it is understandable you were disappointed when you were not able to be served. Most are when they can not get in to our establishment. I will not compromise my work standards. This decision is made by myself "the chef", not by the front staff, they followed my instructions.
15 customers that had booked in advance were served after you were turned away.
I think it is unfair that you give a review based on the fact you were not seated.
I pride myself on producing quality food along with quality service.

THE CHEF
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Great friendly Ohakune hideaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Love the brunch - veggie eggs bennie fab - and massive! Service is friendly, helpful and laidback. Great atmosphere and gets quite busy Sunday mornings. Lovely garden area - nice to sit in the sun on the way back from the mountain for a glass of wine.

• Visited August 2013