“Best value for money in Turkey” 5 of 5 stars

Mehtap Hotel Dalyan
Gulpinar Mah. 337 Sok. No:4, Dalyan 48840, Turkey   |
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Dalyan
London
“Best value for money in Turkey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

For the price, it was by far the best hotel value for money in Turkey. We paid 32 Euros per night for three adults, including breakfast and taxes. The room was spacious, bathrooms small and the shower was part of the bathroom, and thus after a shower everything was wet. It was fine in our case for two reasons, one the price we were paying, and secondly, our triple room had two bathrooms and thus one was used for showering and the other for brushing teeth etc. The breakfast was excellent, as was dinner. They also have a pool, and many pool chairs, which was great as in summer while the hotel only has 10 or so rooms, everyone has space at the pool. The hotel is a short walk to town, yet it has to be said that arriving in the neighborhood, it looks quite modern and not the charming Turkish village one would imagine. The setting of the town is definitely spectacular, along the river, with the tombs cut into the cliffs across the town, the beautiful beach nearby and the Roman ruins to boost. There is also a mud-pool spring nearby. Overall the stay was very enjoyble. Unit and his family do a wonderful job and make you feel very welcome in this clean, small, excellent value family hotel..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

Stayed for two weeks at the Mehtap in september. dalyian is a great location, short transfer, and no hassle when going out to eat. Not your usual noisy, commercialised resort.

Umit & Serap were great hosts and could not do enough to help & assist with our stay.

Only fault would be when stayed at hotel for dinner. 3 courses served in 30mins. Would be better if this could be a bit more relaxed and you are given time to settle between courses. However, food was great and really enjoyed it.

My partner & i were on a two week holiday to relax & chill out and we certainly were at the end of the holiday.

Would certainly return and would recommend to friends to visit

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Umit and Serap I would like to thank you for a wonderful stay in your charming hotel. A real find and in a wonderful location. The hotel is spoltless as are the pool and breakfast area.
Though the rooms are small they are air conditioned and well maintaned
Umit and Serap you make wonderful hosts

Location is perfect and very close to town. I will hopefully return next year...........Steve

• Liked — Umit and Serap
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Originally we had planned to stay in a local Pension after my cousin's recommendation having been in Dalyan just a month before us but as they didn't have availability we opted for the Mehtap after reading the terrific reviews on here.

I can't fault the locattion, the settings, the cleanliness, certainly not the price or the upkeep of the place. The rooms were clean if not a tad small but we didn't go to Dalyan to stay in our room.

However I do not think this hotel is suitable for families with young children, or certainly not out with the main summer months when school holidays are on. We had a three year old with us, a boisterous three year old who had just spent a month with her Turkish grandparents and we were in Dalyan for just four days before flying home to Scotland. We used the hotel pool once and there was only one bed free because a lot of people seemed to have claimed their sunbeds for the day and left their towels on the beds and went out walkabout in the town. As there were no other children we were also aware of noise levels so ended up using Turtle beach for the next two days.

We actually felt very uncomfortable in the hotel because all the other guests were clearly there to relax, read a book by the pool and chill out and from the moment we arrived we actually felt quite unwelcome. As a result we did not eat in the hotel and had only one breakfast in the hotel. On the day of arrival at 4pm the comment was made to my 3 year old to be quiet as people were sleeping - and I guess that really set the tone for the rest of our stay.

The noise proofing was very bad and I could hear the people in the next room going to the toilet and coughing ( and snoring at times) so I can only imagine that hearing a boisterous 3 year old refusing to go to bed wasn't much fun for them either. The noise proofing was so bad that I have to say I don't even think I would feel comfortable going with my husband and perhaps would only recommend this for a stay with friends...maybe we were just unlucky with our room!

I really cannot fault the accomodation for the price but I do think the reviews on here probbably led to our disapointment on the welcome that we received. It almost felt as though because we did not drink or eat in the Hotel (which the majority of people seemed to do) and were therefore not spending money other than the room rate that we did not get quite the same 'welcome' as others. I actually thought we were being slightly paranoid but on the day that we left and struglled down the stairs with three cases, a buggy and a child (being two women on our own) Umit didn't even look up from behind the bar and acknowledge us until we asked if we could leave our luggage behind the bar.

All in all perhaps if we didn't have this expectation this review would have been a bit more positive but given half of my family are Turkish and the amount of time we have spent in Turkey we found the poor welcome out of character. I will say however that the grandparents in the hotel were very welcoming, always waved us goodnight (when Umit was entertaining guests in the bar and didn't seem to notice us! ) and always spoke to us when we saw them either in the hotel or in the town.

I have left many reviews on Tripadvisor for various hotels in various locations and I think have always gave a balnced view and I can honestly say that I would not stay here again - even if I was to return with friends - because we did not feel welcome at all this time and got the clear impression that Umit was not happy with the fact their was a young child in tow that may inconvienance his other guests.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — The welcome
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

Just home from ten days at the Mehtap and can't praise the place enough. It's in a great location, has all the facilities we needed, and is beautifully maintained and spotlessly clean; but what really put it above all the other places we've stayed in Dalyan - and elsewhere else - was the warm and helpful way that Umit and Serap made us feel at home from the moment we walked in until we (regretfully) left this morning.

Many thanks!!

Ron and Seonaid

• Liked — warm and helpful owners
  • Disliked — bathroom a little basic
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

My family just came back from a trip to Turkey. I would like to say that our stay at Mehtap Hotel was a very good one; great hosts, food, locations, and service. Both Umit and Serap are excellent hosts and they made us feel very confortable. The rooms were clean, breakfasts were delicious, and the pool was very clean. The restaurant is decorated nicely and we dined there for our daughter's birthday. They even made a special peach cake which was superb.

Overall, I would say this is a wonderful B&B. This is a rare place where the nature, history, and the humans compliement each other very well. I am rather a fussy person and would recommend this place for your stay, too.

Bulent, Lori, and Brittany, USA

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Ashford, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

My husband and I plus our ten year old son stayed at the Methap for 10 days at the end of July.
EVERYTHING from the welcome in the early hours of the morning, fresh flowers sprinkled on the beds, to the whole family bidding us farewell at the end of our stay was a memorable experience.
Umit, Serap, their delightful children - even their pet cats and other members of the family made every effort to make our stay with them a time we will treasure and talk about until we return again.
This being our first visit to Turkey we were unsure as to what to expect, but my goodness we were taken aback by the warmth and genuine friendliness of not only Umit, family and staff but EVERYONE that we met in Dalyan.
Thank you for a wonderful time - we'll be back!

• Liked — Everything and more!
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mehtap Hotel Dalyan? Share your experiences!