“At home in Sterling, Alaska” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Redfish Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sterling
Redfish Lodge
You added Redfish Lodge to your Saves list
32815 El Dorado Way, PO Box 857, Sterling, AK 99672   |
Portland, Oregon
“At home in Sterling, Alaska”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

My wife and I arrived to the Kenai Peninsula for the first time in August of 2010. We had rough plans of what we wanted to do and I planned to try to do some fly fishing on my own as I thought my wife wouldn't be too into fishing. I finally decided to get a guide on the spur of the moment but unfortunately all the local guides were already booked. When I called up Red Fish Lodge they were very friendly and helpful. The owner Steve ended up loaning my wife and I some of his fishing rods and telling us exactly where to go to catch fish. We caught a bunch of salmon and my wife was hooked on fishing from then on. We decided to make a detour on our trip and we ended up staying at the Redfish Lodge. After another day on the river catching silver salmon we barbecued salmon and they even gave us suggestions on how to prepare the fish.

The room was clean, comfortable and had all the amenities one could ask for; fridge, microwave, BBQ, TV etc. etc. It was an awesome value for the area. Each cabin is quiet and in a beautiful setting near the river. We sat up and had wine and salmon late into the night.

Later we went halibut fishing and caught an insane amount of fish. They stayed up late that night to cook us a meal, pack, and flash-freeze the fish before we left for the airport. They even threw in some extra red salmon, silver salmon and halibut for free. They were super generous.

The best thing about Redfish lodge is the customer service, beautiful area, and feeling welcomed like a family member. We were only planning on staying in the Soldatna area for one day and we ended up staying for 3 of our 4 days on the Kenai. We always make the most of the short time we have on vacation and this was the best vacation in a long time. Thanks! I will go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We were planning to stay in the Soldotna area for 2 days, hoping to fish one of them. Little did i know that the days we were going to be there were the busiest fishing time of the season. Nobody wanted to put us up for 2 days let alone fishing for only one! I called the Redfish and talked to Steve. He rented us a very nice cabin for the 2 days and arranged for us to fish one of the days! Steve, his wife Lea, and mom Marsha treated us like family. The cabins and grounds were impeccable. The service was even better. Steve processed all the salmon we caught. We were invited to sit around the campfire with the other guests and have dinner with Steve and his family. We had crab one night and halibut the next. We hated to leave. A family emergency occured in Homer later in the trip. I stopped by the lodge on my way back to Anchorage and the Struber family took care of getting my fish back home to me so I wouldn't have to deal with it during that time. I will always be greatful to the Strubers and plan to return when I go back to Alaska.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

My new husband and I decided to travel to Alaska for our honeymoon. One of our stops on our two week tour of Alaska was the Red Fish Lodge. We were very pleased with our stay there. The entire family (owners) treated us as part of their family, even inviting us for dinner of haibut tacos and fresh crab. They were able to set us up on two fishing trips (halibut and salmon) which we caught our limit. They then packed the fish for us, and kept is cold until we left. There was also fishing gear to take to the river to try to catch more ourselves. The cabins were great and there was even laundry availible for us. Every girl wants her honeymoon to be special, and thanks to Red Fish Lodge it was accomplished!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Incredibly great experience with this Family owned place. Steve, Lea and Grand Mom Marcia could not have made this a better experience. Lea holds the fort when Steve is out dip netting or halibut fishing - you should her filleting 50 lb kings!

We found Red Fish on internet and had the usual reservations about an unknown place. We left the place not just with great memories, but with great friendships.

Steve is incredibly knowledgeable about Alaska, we really value those conversations.. Grand Mom Marcia (as my 6 year old calls her) is riding Mules (ATVs) ferrying the children to where we were fishing in Kenai, is a Natural Born Entertainer!

Thanks, Steve, Lea, Marcia and everyone else we met there.

Awesome experience, we will be back!

Cheers
Me & family

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Just returned from my 3rd and BEST Alaskan vacation.
Having stayed at the Red Fish lodge on my 2nd trip with my wife Beth,
we (including my grandson, Tyler) decided to stay again knowing the accommodations would suit our needs.

Little did I know that the Redfish had changed from a cabin rental to a full service lodge.
Steve, Leah and Marsha Stuber have transformed the Red Fish into one of the best lodges on the Kenai with a “We are family attitude”.

With the addition of gas grills with a side burner at each cabin, you can now grill out and not wait in the restaurant lines. The nightly campfire provides a gathering place to get acquainted with everyone and for all to reflect on their daily adventure. Also, you are not stopping to buy a bundle of wood everyday. Coolers are at each cabin and available for your use, just remember to put one in your vehicle.

They now have fishing gear for your use. They also have Rawlin, who can advise and assist you with your fishing needs. Any gear you ship ahead of time, Rawlin will pick it
up and make sure its at your cabin when you get there. He does a fantastic job taking care of your fish and getting them ready (including vacuum packing) for you to take home.

Steve’s knowledge and contacts permit him to provide both the novice and most avid angler with daily fishing excursions that are the best in the business. His scheduling
insures your success and enjoyment. He has become the one stop, one phone call and no time wasted lodge that provides you with everything you need for the most successful trip. Just let him know your desires, he fulfills them.

As for the cost, Alaskan Red Fish Lodge offers the best at the most affordable price
whether it be cabin rental or adventurous fly-outs. The special package price cannot
be beat considering what you get.
Red Fish’s logo is “The best kept secret on the Kenai” and I agree.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We went to Red Fish Lodge with some friends and two young adults (12 & 15) and we had a terrific time! Steve, Lea and Marcia were wonderful hosts and they did everything they could to make it the trip of a lifetime for us. The cabins were very comfortable, clean, and well equipped. The firepit area is a wonderful place to spend the evening visiting and enjoying a beautiful fire. They arranged halibut, salmon and rainbow trout fishing trips for us that were great--they selected the best guides for our trips. They arranged a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise for us that was great! They help you feel at home while on vacation and provide a most enjoyable atmosphere. The kids really enjoyed their trip and are still talking about it. I would go back to Alaska Red Fish Lodge in a minute and plan to do so many more times in the future. Their river lot is very accessible (no trespassing required--don't know what that person was talking about) and we watched many people fish right from their fishing dock. We saw lots of wildlife on our trip as well.
All in all it was a trip of a lifetime and we were very happy to have found this great place to stay on the Kenai Peninsula. You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My goodness, where do I start! I found the Redfish Lodge on line. Our stay put us in Sterling/Soldatna in the top of the season. We were just staying a couple of nights, hoping to fish one of the days. Every lodge we checked was either sold out or wanted to sell us a week long "package". Steve booked us for 2 nights and arranged for us to fish with a great guide for a day. From the moment we got there, we were treated like family. Steve, his wife Lea, and mom Marsha became our friends immediately. Our cabin was clean and very comfortable. The family made us dinner both nights we were there. After 2 days we had to move on, but I knew nothing would compare. We fell into some bad luck later in our travel as my wife suffered a heart attack. As I traveled back thru Sterling, I stopped back at the Redfish Lodge to ask for assistance in getting my fish home. I explained what happened to my wife, and felt as if I had family so far from home. They arranged to get my fish back home, and even called several times in the following weeks to check the status of my wife. I will be back. I truly feel like I have family in AK. God bless you Steve, Lea, and Marsha!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Aspen Extended Stay Suites
No photo provided
Frenchy's Fishing Cabins
#6 of 10 in Sterling
5.0 of 5 stars 2 reviews

Been to Redfish Lodge? Share your experiences!