“Staff that sleep” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Sapa
Manchester
“Staff that sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I arrived at 7am to be shown to my room. All good so far. View was great, room was clean and pleasant. Fruit bowl had a single apple. This was replaced a day later with a single pear. No fridge, no room safe (even though website says it does). WHen asked about this....I got a blank shrug. The breakfast as a previous reviewer quoted, was appalling and the worst of my entire Vietnam trip.
I spent half my trip to Sapa trekking and half teaching. As I was coming back during the day time I often found the hotel unmaned. In fact, on one occassion I was greeted from the open door or a guest room, with the receptionist lying in the bed. The key was left on the top and often I just let myself in and wandered round the hotel and my room. I took to taking my key with me. On return from trekking they did agree to let me have a shower before my train, but after a 15min wait showed me to a dirty shower cubicle in their travel agency.
This hotel has a lot going for it, but until the staff can change I wouldn't go back. Being a trekking resort I understand that during the day it can be sleepy and boring, but the basics of hotel management realy should be adhered to.

The worst was the lying. I was on the top floor and there was a loud whirring noise that went into the night. I investigated and foudn there to be a large water tank above my room. When I asked what the noise could possibly be and asked if there was anything above me I was told there was not and they hadn't a clue what it could be?! The last night they worked out what it was (and then turned it off) which meant no hot water!!!!
All in all, it's a shame as the view and location are great.

Room Tip: Choose low down floor and room. Take your key with you!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I recently visited Sapa as the leader of a World Challenge expedition accompanied by two teachers and fifteen teenage students. The Mountain View Hotel provided a demanding four day trek for our team in the local area. We covered between 12 and 17km each day trekking through beautiful scenery and learning a great deal from our guides as we travelled. Each night we stayed in local homestays which negated the need to carry tents (bonus) and provided us with showers and flushing toilets - utter luxury.
At the end of our trek we stayed one night in the Hotel. Great service. The rooms were impecably clean with comfortable beds and great facilities. The staff were extremely friendly and most helpful. A fast and efficeint laundry service was available and our grotty walking boots were cleaned to a high standard.
Sapa is a great wee city with plenty to see and do. If you visit stay at the Mountain View Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night before doing an overnight trek around the area, which we organized through the hotel. We were there in January and it was freezing cold. Rooms aren't heated; heat lamps and electric blankets are available, but we all found it pretty hard to keep warm in our rooms unless we were actually under the covers. Also, paid extra for a "mountain view" but never saw past the balcony (the fog never actually let up).

The trek that we did through the hotel was really great. There were 6 of us including our guide, Khu, who was very sweet and funny and knowledgeable. The overnight trek was incredible, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little adventure in Vietnam, and an opportunity to meet, and stay with, a very warm local family (our dinner at their home was one of the best we ate in Asia). When we arrived back in Sapa the next day, we were given a room where we could take a shower and change our clothes (much needed, it was pretty mucky). For a couple of extra dollars, they will also wash and dry your boots or shoes-my boyfriend's came back looking brand new. Definitely worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed here as part of a short Gecko's tour to Sapa and were quite disappointed with the quality of the hotel, particularly as we had stayed at nice accommodation throughout the rest of the tour.

We found the hotel to be extremely cold with no heating. The hot water took 15 minutes to heat up at the best of times and the layouts of the bathroom meant the toilets got completely drenched after a shower. Unfortunately, the sheets were somewhat dirty which also added to our level of discomfort.

Also disappointing was breakfast, where we could only pick one thing of the menu. In this case I chose pancakes, which consisted of a single very thin crepe about half the size of my place - hardly substantial, though perhaps I had become too used to buffet breakfasts on our trip.

If you do happen to stay on a non-misty day, the view from the hotel is fantastic, and we found the staff to be friendly and polite. However, in this case the bad outweighs the good and we would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sittard
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night at June 2010. It was cheap and fulfilled its purpose.

Room was not bad, but windows didn't lock

The hotel is average, but has a great view ! :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

All in all Mountain View was a decent budget hotel in Sapa. The views from most of the rooms are pretty great. The bathrooms have been recently tiled which is nice (although the counter still had a fair bit of rusty metal showing... seemed like they were halfway though a restoration or something). The rooms come with Cable TV, Ensuite Bathroom... I can't remember if there was A/C though because it was 10 degrees on average when we were there... Sorry... Anyway, all in all it was worth the $15 bucks as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Definitely did not have the same experience that other reviewers complained about.

We stayed in room 203 (i think). There was no mold and the room was kept in quite good condition. We had hot water every time we used the shower (which included early in the morning, middle of the day, and later at night). The building was cold, but every building we went into in Sapa was cold, without exception. Our bed had an electric blanket, and we found that we were actually feeling too warm rather than too cold while sleeping.

The staff provided good information on the tours available without being pushy, and we opted for the basic $12 trek. It was what we expected and was a nice excuse to get out of the village and see some scenery.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain View Hotel? Share your experiences!