“Location very good” 4 of 5 stars

24 Muong Hoa, Sapa 12345, Vietnam   |
Ranked #21 of 38 hotels in Sapa
“Location very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The location of Topas Ecolodge is really fantastics and views (around) were nature.
The staff were very nice and help one for room. One would walk around and met people from Red Dao village. Some people walked with me even did not talk english and showed there home.
The food at Ecolodge was really good and local food for morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Topasecolodge, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hi Kaj P

Thank you for your review on your stay at Topas Ecolodge. It means a lot to me and the rest of the Topas team!

I'm very happy to learn that you were pleased with the food we provided for you and that you enjoyed the location.

Thank you for visiting us. I wish you a lot of great travel adventures

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Svendborg, Fyn, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Vietnam is so noisy and busy - if you need a change - stay at at the Eco Lodge!! The Topas Eco Lodge is the most wonderful and peaceful place of all.... And we found the view amazing! Even in cloudy days you sense the breathtaking nature just outside the door.
The lodge is located outside Sapa - where no other tourist go - and you must prepare for en extraordinary experience when going to the lodge.... It's pretty remote!
But its worth the trip!

All the staff are local people - most of them from the nearby villages and minorities - and they are so sweet and friendly.
Outside the lodge we meet the local minority Red Dao and I bought the most pretty handcraft - and was invited to visit their homes nearby...
The women made a great impression - and my two boys (age 6 and 8) are still talking about our stay at the lodge! Even though there were no other kids, no swimming pool or kids club they enjoyed themselves, because there's so much great nature.

The restaurant and the bungalows are very nice and cosy - very well decorated compared to all other places in Vietnam, and the bar with the fireplace is a great place to hang out and enjoy the silence. Don't expect luxury - but a very authentic experience - compared to nothing else...
The Topas Eco Lodge is a treat for your soul, when travelling in Northern Vietnam.
Be prepared of the silence - and the great opportunities for trekking...(also lots of mud in wintertime - but thats just great fun!)
And enjoy being of the main road of tourist.... I highly recommend the Topas Eco Lodge!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi Julie L

Thank you so much for taken your time to write a review on your stay here at Topas Ecolodge.
It always makes me and the rest of the Topas team very happy when we have guests that appreciate our lodge and the quality of this unusual place. You are absolutely right; we are not very interested in luxury - at least not in a common interpretation. The luxury of Topas Ecolodge is first of all the location and the calm atmosphere.

Thank you again for visiting us. We wish you lots of great adventures for the future

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

What an absolutely amazing place!! This is definitely the best place I have found in Northern Vietnam - first of all, the location is breathtaking, 360 degrees mountain view (I was lucky and had clear days) with rice paddies below and beautiful villages nearby. Second, the service here is really friendly - the new manager Pernille was very kind to me and accompanied me on a visit to some locals where I bought their handicrafts. Food is great too - I love the cozy little restaurant. It might not be the luxury restaurant you find in a big city, but what can you expect in such a remote place?

This may not be a place for everyone: its a bit of a trip to get here and its certainly remote - but the peace and quiet you find here really makes the trip worthwhile. The philosophy of the place is to involve the locals in the maintaining and running of the place - I sympathize a lot with this.

Overall I give Pernille and her lodge my best and warmest recommendations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Topasecolodge, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hi JesperMM

Thank you so much for the kind words about our lodge and location.
It has been an absolute pleasure having you here.

I hope to see you back some time.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had the good fortune of great weather and clear views when we stayed here - that makes an enormous difference. We found the facilities to be very comfortable and staff were helpful organising things to do. The food is not the best you would have in Vietnam but that is understandable given the pretty remote location.
I think the bad reviews I have seen for this place are based on too high expectations and probably foggy weather too. It is a long way from town and the roads are very rough (but they are being improved) and it is an Eco lodge so people should definitely take this into account. It is always going to be a bit rustic that is part of the idea.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Mannywild

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay here.
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Topas Ecolodge.

I think you are right about the weather being an important reason for some of the bad reviews.

Thank you for visiting us.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Wow.... What a View.. We took many photos here and were amazed at the secluded location of this resort. We stayed in Sapa for two nights, the first at Victoria Resort in the town of Sapa and the second at Topas Eco Lodge. We found Topas to be a beautiful location and nice hotel. Please keep in mind that this lodge is no where near the town of Sapa and the road to get to this hotel is a dirt / muddy and very bumpy road.... again, Topas is a nice "Secluded" Lodge.

Upon Check in, you will find it to be an estimated ten minute walk to the lodge along a rock paved path, maybe a little bit of a challenge for the elderly or less mobile. The hotel will deliver your bags to your lodge, so no problems there. The Lodge that we checked into was clean and very nice, with air conditioning which was a plus as there was no tv as the hotel is marketed as an Eco Lodge and a place to relax. We had a balcony, which I believe all rooms do and the view was just simpy amazing!!... As this is a secluded lodge in the mountains, there will be insects, so do not forget to take insect repellent with you.

The Lodge bar is also quite nice, while enjoying a cocktail and watching the sunset behind the mountains. In the morning we were also treated to the sunrising in front of our lodge. There are not many places were you could view the sunset and sunrise at the same hotel.

We had dinner included here in our tour, so I could not advise on pricing as we did not even look. The meal was ok, but not the best meal on our trip.

Overall, if you are after a relaxing time in a secluded mountain resort, than this is to place to go whilst in Sapa. The view is AMAZING, I have uploaded pictures of this. But, again, keep in mind it is no where near the town of Sapa. Should we travel back to Sapa, we sould most likely get the best of both worlds again, by staying at Victoria Resort in Sapa so we are close to the town and then move on to Topas Eco Lodge just to relax.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Topasecolodge, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Paul-n-Kate_Mace

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for taking your time to write a review. We really appreciate it. Your photos are amazing. Thank you.

I hope you will have a lot of adventurous traveling in 2013

Lodge manager at Topas Ecolodge
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

VERY POOR choice we had no idea it was so far from from Sapa,the roads are horrendous,very basic accommodation with rats in the roof,food very basic and over priced,nothing to do but watch the grass grow and the chickens lay eggs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear CornwellAustralia

I'm sorry you did'nt enjoy your stay at Topas Ecolodge. However I do appreciate that you took the time to write a review on your stay. I think you are right Topas Ecolodge is not to everyones taste.

Lodge manager at Topas Ecolodge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We, a family of 4, had our dinner at the restaurant in Topas Ecolodge on the 14th of December 2012. With the price we paid for dinner, 350 000 VND, per person, we certainly expected more. No doubt it is a remote area, that is still no excuse for such a poor serving of food. We had to return all of our 3 main dishes back to the kitchen to be re-cooked! The prawns were extremely salty, the chicken and pork were raw on the inside. On top of that, while we were still having our dinner, we saw a rat scramble above our heads along one of the beams in the restaurant. We were certainly not pleased with this dining experience.

This is something, which the manager may want to look into to improve the overall experience of the guest staying in the Lodge.

-Jeremy Choy, Singapore

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Choyboyster

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read about your dinner experience here at Topas Ecolodge. I regret that I didn't learn about this while you were here. I would have done whatever was in my power to change your experience.

Lodge Manager at Topas Ecolodge

Been to Topas Ecolodge? Share your experiences!