“Peacefully tranquil” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 40 hotels in Sapa
Singapore, Singapore
“Peacefully tranquil”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Sapa was an absolute different kind of holiday for us and we totally enjoyed the natural beauty of the place.

Chau long sapa hotel is centrally located and looks the most established in the whole stretch of accommodations. In the mornings, we woke up to the mist/ fog outside the room. It adds a touch of mystic to the place.

Service at the hotel was with quiet politeness which was rather charming n befitting to the place.

• Stayed September 2011

372 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

When searching for a hotel in Sapa I went in here. I was told $80US for 3 people with breakfast,so I went to get the rest of my party. When we got back they immediately got our passports, then the receptionist said it would be extra for the 3rd person for breakfast which we stupidly agreed to then came the line "oh that room is meant for 2 so it will be another $15 for the 3rd person". When I questioned this she started with the usual "you miss understood me". As this is not my first time in Vietnam, I did not miss understand her. So we left and found a hotel where the staff did not lie to us.

• Stayed June 2012
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Thank goodness for the views and breakfasts! The rooms were not particularly clean, linen very worn and we had several problems with the bathroom, no hot water and toilet not functioning intermittently. The problem with the toilet was attended to promptly, but had no long lasting effect, and we had to call the maintenance crew back repeatedly!
I would certainly look at other hotels before I stayed here again.
Absolutely loved Sapa though, well worth the train ride there and back to Hanoi

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have rated this hotel as average even though the view from our room on the 6th floor was amazing and and more than compensated for the the other shortcomings. Firstly, we were unable to get in our room (as expected) when we arrived at 6am from the o/n train, but we were not told that there is an area where you can freshen up or relax before heading out - that would have been helpful!!! Instead we headed out of the hotel, closely followed by 3 local tribes women who were relentless in trying to make an early morning sale - to the very weary tourist. I had a feeling that we were in Bali where the "what is your name", "where are you from" questions are the same and can be annoying. I relented and bought 3 little bags one from each of the girls, but felt somewhat ripped off when I saw they were cheaper in the local market. Oh well, guess they have to make a living and I didn't mind too much. Sapa is lovely and so picturesque and cooler than Hanoi that we felt very comfortable just hanging out in the town with a few walks we arranged ourselves.

The hotel needs some renovating and after waiting until midday to get into our room I would have expected it to be cleaner. The floors needed a wash, rather than brush up and the bedding was pretty worn out. Still, that view puts you in a more relaxed and forgiving state of mind. My other concern was that some clothing went missing from the room and was not in my case when we arrived back in Hanoi. We meticulously check the room before leaving, so I know for sure they were not still hanging up in the wardrobe or dropped behind the bed somewhere. I have been told they were not there and that the staff have to be checked by security before leaving the hotel - well, maybe that says it all. It would be worth really checking that you have everything with you before you leave the hotel.
We loved Sapa, but we wouldn't necessarily go back - the train journey isn't very comfortable and 2 nights lack of sleep is hard to cope with when you are on a busy schedule. Glad we saw the place and I do hope that the local tribes people become less aggressive in their selling as this will definitely spoil the experience for a lot of people.

Room Tip: The higher up you are seems there is less noise and better views, although the rooms are older and i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

A friend and I stayed here either side of a trek. We arrived before sunrise for breakfast. It was unbelievably beautiful. There are different wings some are a little strange. Ours felt like an older lodge. But we still loved it. We had a massage too which was great!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in room 610 for one night as part of our 2 day tour of Sapa. The lobby was very inviting and the service was great. The view from our balcony was just magnificent. Breakfast was good too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
Beer Sheva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I will start with the good:
Hotel is beautiful, view fro the room balcony is amazing with or without the cloud cover.
Room is comfortable and large enough. Dining room is very pleasant with good choice to western and Asia food. Very nice bar with comfortable chairs and couches. Service is good and problems of which I had a few are attended to swiftly, while not always solved.

Now to the not so perfect:
Room safe is ridiculous, huge in size and difficult to operate, my key was stuck in the safe, and I couldnt remove it. After some help from the stuff it was still sticky and I decided not to use the safe.
The shower tap, looks new and nice, but water temperature control is bad. It gos from ice cold to scorching hot in a fraction of a second.
Do not take a room under the dinning room (there are a few) if you like to take a nap in the afternoon, or wake up after 6 am. The wooden floor make every step above your head sound like a drum bit.
If you use wifi, you would probably need to sit in the lobby, reception in my room was insufficient for any connection.
In general it looks like some maintenance would do good. We stayed in the off season, and I really hope the will make some effort to improve for the comming season.
All in all it's ok to stay here, but don't expect a degree of perfection you get in modern hotels in the area.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chau Long Sapa Hotel? Share your experiences!