“Good way to experience Sapa” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 36 Activities in Sapa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sapa Sisters is a website that connects expats, backpackers and travellers with local Hmong and Dao guides in the Sapa-area. It aims to establish a direct link between guides and people that are about to visit Sapa to empower the young Black H'Mong women and give them a reasonable pay for their skilled services. All the guides speaks English and have long experiences working as guides.
Jurong, Singapore
“Good way to experience Sapa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014 NEW

Our guide, Chinh, greeted us at 9am in the morning at our hotel lobby and I was pleasantly surprised by her fluency of English. Communication was a breeze with her and her knowledge of the culture, the terrain and the plants really gave us additional insight into the lives of the people in Sapa and especially among the different tribes in the villages.

We chose the more difficult path, the jungle route, which turned out to be physically strenuous, and a lot of fun. We went over muddy terrain, slippery paths that you had to walk in a sidestepping manner and bamboo bridges over rivers. Chinh was very sure-footed and following her footsteps was the best way to not slip and fall.

TIP: If you're young and adventurous (and you have spare clothes) - go for the more difficult route.

There were 2 other women that followed us in the beginning of the hike but they turned out to be very helpful and even guided us along the more difficult terrain. During our lunchtime break – we gave the 2 women a tip, which we thought, was fair given the help that they rendered. However, doing so prompted the other women in the village to surround us and really “hard sell” their handicraft but repeated rejections made them move to the other tourists instead.

TIP: If you do decided to tip the "extra" sisters that followed you, do so in a more discreet manner.

We ended the trek by choosing to have the motorbike ride back to the hotel. It would have been an 8km trek on the main road otherwise. Sapa Sister’s price was a bit high – but it was well worth the adventure.

Visited December 2014

• Polish first
Munich, Germany
“Fantastic Trekking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014 NEW

I was hiking with Lan for 3 days and it was amazing. She selected beautiful paths, mostly a bit off the beaten trek and has an enormous knowledge about plants, people, culture and agriculture.
We never were followed by any women eager to sell their arts & crafts penetrantly what unfortunately happens very often in and around Sapa.
I can only recommend Sapa Sisters!

5 attraction reviews
“Best local guides for Sapa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014 NEW

Book your trek with Sapa sisters and you won't regret it. Our guide's name was Mu, and we had a fantastic couple of days with her, she gave us enormous insight into the local life (since we was from the local village) and truly feel like we made a friend in the process. She was so accomodating since we weren't sure until the last minute if we wanted to do a 1 or 2 day trek since it was freezing and visibility was an issue. Mu gave us a choice whether we wanted to do an easy or hard hike and we chose the hard one which was fantastic since we were the only ones there! It was very slippery so rainboots were a must. 2 other local Hmong women walked with us which we thought was a little bizarre at first, but proved to be very helpful when we got to the steep parts of the trek. They weren't pushy at all and we bought something from them as a thank you at the end of the trek, which we thought was fair. We also stayed in a local homestay, the family was very nice, even though I got food poisoning from the dinner (my husband did not!) this didn't taint my experience at all. Overall it was such an authentic way to experience Sapa, definitely book with Sapa sisters and ask for Mu as your guide.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I Would Highly Recommend Another Instead”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014 NEW

My husband and I had the rare opportunity to use two different trekking tour operators during our time in Sapa. I will say that I do love the fact that Sapa Sisters employs local Hamog women as their tour guides. I feel that is the only and proper way to experience Sapa.

I travel often and am used to being asked to buy goods - it doesn't make me uncomfortable. I did read reviews on here before we went that girls do ask you to buy their goods. This did occur immediately after leaving Sapa Sisters headquarters, which was fine. However, we had an unpleasant experience 2 hours into our hike. Our guide was very nice and she and her two friends were talking to each other the entire trek to the village. Her "friends" were talking to us too. They obviously knew each other well, but I couldn't figure out if they were tour guides in training or just friends/relatives walking back to the village with us. It was a little odd, when we got to muddy spots, the friends would grab my arms to help me - regardless of me saying "I'm fine."

The awkward part occurred once we got to the village home for lunch. Our guide sat us at a table outside and said the food would be out soon. We didn't even get to meet who cooked our food. While we waited, the tour guide's friends who walked the past 2 hours with us indicated that it was now "Shopping Time!" They laid their handmade goods onto the table, as they did their sales pitch. We weren't in the mood for shopping, as it was pouring down rain and we were wet from head to toe and covered in mud. However, my husband and I liked the one lady's wall hanging, so we bought it. Then the other lady started screaming at us that we had to buy from her too. We explained that we were married and that we bought the wall hanging together and unfortunately, she had nothing that we wanted to buy. Her argument was that my husband bought from the other lady, but she helped me down the muddy hill (by grabbing my arm), hence we "owed" her by buying her goods. She then angerly packed up her goods and stormed off down the road. The whole experience left a sour taste in our mouths.

If you are looking for trekking tour guide operators in Sapa, I would definitely not recommend Sapa Sisters unless others who offered better tours were fully booked. Our other experiences in Sapa with others were amazing and a totally different experience!

Visited October 2014
Kuala Lumpur
10 attraction reviews
“great guide!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

A big thank you to Little Chi whom was assigned to us as our guide during the 2-days. Although we didn't manage to complete the hike on our first day as planned due to my friend's slowness and that they were unable to cope. However, Little Chi was really patient and nice, and not forgetting, she had a great sense of humour.

Despite the heavy fog and coldness, I personally had fun and enjoyed the hike. No qualms over the slippery terrain and muddiness.

Will definitely use Sapa Sisters service again.

Visited December 2014