“Lovely place, really nice people, genuinely warm and welcoming” 5 of 5 stars

Le Gecko Hotel
4 Ham Rong ( Thach Son) Street, Sapa, Vietnam   |
Ranked #33 of 40 hotels in Sapa
london
“Lovely place, really nice people, genuinely warm and welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

So this was a welcome surprise along our travels - A lovely family run hotel, with no sales pitch at every encounter! We arrived at 5 am and everyone was asleep but they woke up and took care of us as best they could. At about 10 am our room was ready and it was nice and warm, clean, spacious and a nice view of the mountains. Vu and his family really were lovely - a pleasant change from all the pushy sales hotels we had been in all over Vietnam. They even helped me calling embassy's and airports when I had a problem with my passport. They started to celebrate New Year while we were there and invited us to a lovely banquet with lost of the locals.
I would highly recommend this little hotel but book ahead as they only have a few rooms. You can also book direct as they speak good English and get back to you quite quickly by email (duonggecko@gmail.com).

If I went to Sapa again I would definitely stay here

Nicola

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
vu D, Manager at Le Gecko Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review us on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Le Gecko Hotel and you have good impression on us. The Management and staff of Le Gecko hope to serve you, your friends, your family in the near future.

With all the best.

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at Le Gecko and very much enjoyed it. Whilst the weather was dismal, the restaurant/bar was very cosy, and attractive. The rooms are good value, and probably the most comfortable beds we experienced in Vietnam. Water was always hot and pressure was fine. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and the food was pretty good. Whilst not cheap, the excellent French wine by the glass was a welcome added bonus! The only negative was that we had to shift rooms on the last night as we booked an extra night, and the pillows in that room were hard and thin. The manager said he would replace with the same very comfy ones we'd had the previous two nights. Small point, but important if sleep is somewhat pillow-dependant. We very much enjoyed staying in Sapa, despite heavy fog each day. Wandering into the local market was great- chatting with the local tribe women (who turned out to be very playful, and lots of fun, once we got past the incessant "you buy from me!" spiel), and eating Pho Bo at the market with the locals for lunch... lovely experiences. But back to the hotel - we highly recommend it, and thanks to the manager and staff, who made our stay so enjoyable!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
vu D, Manager at Le Gecko Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your review . We appreciate your good intentions as well as your reccomendations and comments. We will change all the hard pillows for better sleeps.
We do hope serve you, your friends, family again.
Sapa, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I have been traveling through SE Asia for 3 months, and this is our favorite hotel.

I booked via email (duonggecko@gmail.com) and received a very prompt response. A young woman met us at the train station, holding a sign with our name on it, just as we were told to expect in the confirmation email. We were led to a minibus that was filled (though not over capacity) with Vietnamese tourists staying in other hotels; the driver dropped each of us off at our hotels. This service is $3 a person.

Even though we arrived at 5:30am, someone from the hotel met us and led us straight to our room. For $25, we got a clean room with heat, a soft bed (with the thickest, comfiest blankets yet), cable TV, balcony and tasteful furnishings. The bathroom was large with an enclosed shower (our first in 3 months) and plenty of hot water. For the most part if was very quiet. But as is ubiquitous in Vietnamese hotels, the halls are all tile, so sound can travel. Regardless, my husband and I both slept the best we had in weeks. Breakfast is a choice of 4 set meals that is served downstairs in the restaurant and is included in the price of the room. The staff is friendly and not at all pushy about selling tours or food. While we did not opt for any of the tours, they seemed reasonably priced and other guests seemed very pleased with them.

At the time I booked, The Gecko did not have many reviews and I could find very little information on it. But based on all the reviews I read about others' experiences in other Sapa hotels, from staff that take advantage of guests to the mold on the walls, I did not have high expectations for our stay. Not only was I pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room, but my expectations were proven totally wrong. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vu D, Manager at Le Gecko Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review . We are very happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay at Le Gecko Hotel. Le Gecko Management and Staffs will try the best to make our custommers who stay at Le Gecko feel like they are at home.
We do hope that we can serve you, your friend and your family next time.

Yours sincerely
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I booked a room for 3 days 2 nights but because my Fansipan trip was extended so had to cancel 1 night. Mr. Duong- the manager - was not only super nice and understanding for my unexpected situation but also willing to let me late check out until over 5pm with little little charge (about $2 extra, my total spend for 1.5 days there was approx. $14).
The hotel is right in the heart of Sapa but not noisy at all, it's just right next to Sapa Post Office. The room was really nice, comfortable bed and especially there is a kind of fan heater which keeps you warm in the evening. My room was a small balcony also.
There is a restaurant on the ground floor but personally, I don't highly recommend it as it's a bit expensive and not excellent food.
In summary, I have to say that Gecko is really worthy hotel and you really should check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with balcony then you can have a view of the night market
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We found this place after we were unhappy with the room we were offered at another hotel that we had pre-booked while in Hanoi. Looking back, this was the best thing that could have happened.

From the outside, it would be easy not to notice that rooms are available as Gecko appears to be just a cafe/restaurant. The rooms are really spacious and simply decorated in a traditional style. There is a wood stove in each room for the colder months and hot water is always available. Our room had a small balcony which overlooked the church and Fansipan mountains beyond.

The staff were really friendly and helpful to us. They even went as far as booking us some accommodation at Dien Bien Phu for our onward journey to Laos. There is wi-fi and internet available downstairs in the cafe area and tours and treks can also be booked from here.

Overall, I really cant think of any more you want from a place to stay in Sapa and it was the cheapest place we found in all of Vietnam.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Gecko Hotel? Share your experiences!