“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 40 hotels in Sapa
Sapa, Vietnam
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I have been traveling through SE Asia for 3 months, and this is our favorite hotel.

I booked via email (duonggecko@gmail.com) and received a very prompt response. A young woman met us at the train station, holding a sign with our name on it, just as we were told to expect in the confirmation email. We were led to a minibus that was filled (though not over capacity) with Vietnamese tourists staying in other hotels; the driver dropped each of us off at our hotels. This service is $3 a person.

Even though we arrived at 5:30am, someone from the hotel met us and led us straight to our room. For $25, we got a clean room with heat, a soft bed (with the thickest, comfiest blankets yet), cable TV, balcony and tasteful furnishings. The bathroom was large with an enclosed shower (our first in 3 months) and plenty of hot water. For the most part if was very quiet. But as is ubiquitous in Vietnamese hotels, the halls are all tile, so sound can travel. Regardless, my husband and I both slept the best we had in weeks. Breakfast is a choice of 4 set meals that is served downstairs in the restaurant and is included in the price of the room. The staff is friendly and not at all pushy about selling tours or food. While we did not opt for any of the tours, they seemed reasonably priced and other guests seemed very pleased with them.

At the time I booked, The Gecko did not have many reviews and I could find very little information on it. But based on all the reviews I read about others' experiences in other Sapa hotels, from staff that take advantage of guests to the mold on the walls, I did not have high expectations for our stay. Not only was I pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room, but my expectations were proven totally wrong. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vu D, Manager at Le Gecko Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review . We are very happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay at Le Gecko Hotel. Le Gecko Management and Staffs will try the best to make our custommers who stay at Le Gecko feel like they are at home.
We do hope that we can serve you, your friend and your family next time.

Yours sincerely

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I booked a room for 3 days 2 nights but because my Fansipan trip was extended so had to cancel 1 night. Mr. Duong- the manager - was not only super nice and understanding for my unexpected situation but also willing to let me late check out until over 5pm with little little charge (about $2 extra, my total spend for 1.5 days there was approx. $14).
The hotel is right in the heart of Sapa but not noisy at all, it's just right next to Sapa Post Office. The room was really nice, comfortable bed and especially there is a kind of fan heater which keeps you warm in the evening. My room was a small balcony also.
There is a restaurant on the ground floor but personally, I don't highly recommend it as it's a bit expensive and not excellent food.
In summary, I have to say that Gecko is really worthy hotel and you really should check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with balcony then you can have a view of the night market
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We found this place after we were unhappy with the room we were offered at another hotel that we had pre-booked while in Hanoi. Looking back, this was the best thing that could have happened.

From the outside, it would be easy not to notice that rooms are available as Gecko appears to be just a cafe/restaurant. The rooms are really spacious and simply decorated in a traditional style. There is a wood stove in each room for the colder months and hot water is always available. Our room had a small balcony which overlooked the church and Fansipan mountains beyond.

The staff were really friendly and helpful to us. They even went as far as booking us some accommodation at Dien Bien Phu for our onward journey to Laos. There is wi-fi and internet available downstairs in the cafe area and tours and treks can also be booked from here.

Overall, I really cant think of any more you want from a place to stay in Sapa and it was the cheapest place we found in all of Vietnam.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Gecko Hotel? Share your experiences!