“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This hotel has a great location (walking distance from the quay) and has a helpful english speaking staff. This city is not very touristic so it makes it even more helpful. Rooms are clean and good size.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We came off the boat from Phnom Pehn. First - good thing (there aren't many) - forget the rickshaws and motorcycles, the hotel is 500 metres up the street, 2nd intersection on your left. Walk it - got to be the better option. We checked in. They wanted to hold our passports. We refused and were told that if the police checked we could be woken up in the middle of the night. We took the risk and we weren't woken. Carry your bags to your room - the lift is only OK for the weight of 2 people. We had a double with a extra bed. Beds took up most of the floor space but that was acceptable. Room was clean but the beds wern't, Sheets were dirty and the beds as hard as nails. No coffee/Tea making facilities. One (small) piece of soap for 3 people - one towel but to be fair this was remedied with a call to reception. We were tired (kanckered is probably an apt description) and looking out the window - Chau Doc was dead by 8:00, and dark - no street lights - no shop fronts - Nothing - just the lights of motorcycles. We decided not to venture forth and ordered room service (from the room service menu). Sorry...stupid me - room service means you can order your dinner from your room but you have to go down to the lobby to eat it. I didn't bother, but my wife and daughter did - reported back that tables were dirty and bowl of noodles came with ants in it. Breakfast the following morning was well below average. I was glad to leave. I have stayed at hotels in Indonesia, Malaysia. Thailand, Cambodia, Korea. I have realistic expectations and I know what a budget hotel is - This was the worst experience - simply - they don't care Don't take the boat to/fm Phonm Pehn, it is a waste of time. Take the bus, it is faster, cheaper and you don't have to spend a night in Chau Doc, life is too short. If you must - The Victoria looked like a much better bet - PS I try to be positive or at least say something positive in my reviews - not this time....yes...the shower worked.

Room Tip: another hotel would be a good option.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here as part of a Mekong Delta tour. The twin room was not very big, and had only a faded coverlet rather than a top sheet on the bed. The bathroom was a good size, clean and well appointed. Airconditioning worked fine. Reception gave us a good tip for dinner (The Bay Bong, a busy little cafe just up the street). The reception staff were very friendly and courteous.
Breakfast was served in the reception area. it was pretty basic, and the tablecloth was dirty. The breakfast staff were brusque, but it was a busy time as all the tourists were heading to the boat.
The thing that bothered me the most was that as I was leaving to go to the speedboat terminal, I bought a litre of water. I didn't notice till I got on the boat that the seal was broken. of course I didn't take the risk of drinking it. I told the tour agent and he rang the hotel, who told him that they definitely had not sold me tap water. Who can say?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

There are no room safes.
When we checked in we handed over our passports and asked for 3 money belts to be put in the hotel safe.
These money belts contained all our cash, travellers cheques, credit cards etc. I was concerned that the receptionist made no attempt to seal these three money belts together or even put in a sealed envelope (like every other hotel in Asia we've visited) he just put them in an unlocked drawer in the front desk.
In the morning we ask for our things from the safe and he says "What safe?"
We reply "Very funny can we have our things please"
He then handed over two of the three money belts. It took us a minute to realise and ask for the third which he then found.
I had to waste time counting the money and checking all the travellers cheque numbers; nothing was missing.
The guy was apologetic and said he had had a long day yesterday but that's not the point, they do not have a system to keep your valuables secure.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hanoi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

This hotel makes me surprised because of the equipment in room, with cleaned bathroom. However, the internet is not good, it's very slow to download the documents or very inconvenient if you stay here for business trip. I suggested with the receptionlist to repair that, hope it works for the next traveller. But, if you stat here for transit, it is good choice

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Spacious double room with unexpected extra double bed. Excellent bathroom with separate shower section. Overlooking main street but our 3rd floor room wasn't too noisy. Pop up to roof with a beer for nice sunset view. Simple breakfast included in room price ($17). Recommended.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Most of the visitors to Chau Doc are most probably crossing the Vietnamese/Cambodian border as did we. We just looked for a place to spend the night and found this hotel which turned out to be a positive surprise compared to other places that we stayed. Room wasn't too big and we could hear the neighbours but clean and the receptionist friendly. The food and drinks are reasonably priced. The door shuts at some point though so you have to knock to get back in.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hai Chau Hotel? Share your experiences!