“Welcome home!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desa Seni, A Village Resort

You added Desa Seni, A Village Resort to your Saves list
Desa Seni, A Village Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Kayu Putih #13, Pantai Berawa, Canggu, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Canggu
“Welcome home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Welcome home is the first thing you hear from people of Desa Seni and that is how you also feel throughout your stay. The service is just 5+, yuor needs are satisfied before you know what you need. Add to that world class yoga classes and there is nothing more you need to recover from the fuzz of everyday life. Just sell your car :) and go there!

• Stayed September 2013
thomas t, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience!! I hope you sold your car already and we will see you soon. Look forward to seeing you on the mat! Namaste!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Yoga Journey, a phenomenol Yoga studio and travel service out of Boca Raton, FL, arranged for a double Yoga workshop for 18 of us just last week, (Sept 2013).

We were greeted warmly, with tropical drinks upon entry. The location is gorgeous, just near the coastline of Seminyak.

The huts, the bungalows, the constant breeze, and the delightful tropical design had us feeling blissful in Bali, in seconds.

Our Yoga teacher, Angela, from Spain, was also heavenly. Leading us for a private session was idyllic. Glorious Yoga flooring, mats, blocks and Bose sound system were all excellent. The tea house where we gathered was authentic Bali style and felt like we were back in time with Hansel and Gretel sized structures. Cozy, flowing, comfortable.

The second Yoga class blended our group of 18 with others from Australia, Germany, UK and New Zealand and other locales. Though called a Tantra class, it incorporated TRUST group dynamics highlighted by an Angel Walk of Love. Two sides facing one another, we were led with eyes closed, through a "tunnel walk" of loving words and whispers. Only positive vibes here, we did this twice and shared LOVE in a way that was so beautiful and memorable.

Most if not all were crying, laughing, glowing and would not leave the class when completed. That's the "high" we all experienced here at Desa Seni, led by Angela. Namaste.

Check it out. We also were hosted for lunch. Simple, divine, clean, vegetarian. Delicious place for swimming, yoga, dining and gorgeous design. Loved this place, a Bali highlight for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a pleasure having the group here and we are thrilled that you so enjoyed it. Angela is an amazingly passionate teacher and this comes across in all her classes. We hope to see you back some time soon! Terima Kasih banyak!!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had booked the Re-Balancing Package for 5 nights and I must say, it was an amazing experience!
Desa Seni is not 'just' a hotel resort. It is a village where you feel at home immediately. The staff are all so very friendly and attentive. The room with its rustic charm and beautiful decoration exceeded my expectations. I loved finding a little note on my bed every day after the room had been cleaned, with an inspirational message for the day. These are the little details that make a place truly unique.

I highly recommend Dr. Thomas for acupuncture treatments - it does work!! I feel like re-born!! And the aches and pains I wanted to address have vanished and I do sleep through despite having suffered from Insomnia for a long time! It's amazing! I was a skeptic - and am now looking for acupuncture treatment at home to continue the treatment.

I recommend the Reflexology treatment at the Spa- divine! The only not so positive experience for me was the Signature massage - if you prefer gentler massages, ask for a female masseuse. The gentleman doing my massage was too rough- and i even mentioned whether he could be a bit gentler...I was in pain for the rest of the day.

The best part of the holiday for me, personally, was the yoga at Desa Seni. I prefer it to the Yoga Barn as it is small and intimate and the teachers actually correct your postures- which was particularly important for me as a beginner. For beginners, I do recommend Angela's classes. She is by far the best Yoga Teacher I have ever had- she has such a lovely vibrant personality and she pushes you to achieve more and yet works with your limits in a gentle way.
The NIA Dance was amongst my favourite experiences of my life!! :-) DO IT! You'll love it! As for Ocatvios classes: If you are a beginner, i would not recommend it. Even though it is stated that some of his classes are Open Level...I really think they are more suited to intermediate or advanced levels. I thoroughly enjoyed Octavio's Sunset Bakti Love tough!!

I lost 2.5kg in 5 days at Desa Seni- a lovely side-effect to an already perfect week of bliss!

As for constructive criticism:
- The Website advertises 5x Acupuncture, 5x Moxibustion, 5x Auriculo Therapy- In truth, you only get 5 treatments in total as opposed to 15. You get 5 Acupuncture treatments wherein Auriculo Therapy is performed at the same time and there is only 1 Moxibustion treatment at the end of your stay.
- I wasn't informed at reception that the package included a Herbal Tea twice per day which I had to pick up at the Spa area.
- The Meal plan is somewhat confusing. You are given a Plan for 10 days even if you just stay 5 or 7 nights. You may however, only choose 3x dinners and 2x lunch and the package includes all morning and afternoon snacks. I never really knew what I was allowed to order and what was part of the package. This could have been explained a bit better.

Room Tip: Wisnu was very spacious and close to the Swimming Pool- but still hidden enough to have your privacy...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your great review and taking the time to be so thorough. It really is very much appreciated and we are very pleased to have your constructive criticism. We have already started to make changes so that the meal plan is much clearer and the description of the packages is more accurate. We sincerely apologise for any confusion and will take the necessary steps to ensure that the package inclusions are made clear to all guests. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

WOW!! Desa Seni is such an AMAZING place and I hope I can give the credit it deserves through a review here. I stayed here only 5 nights at the beginning of my trip here in Bali, wish it was more and that I can come back on a holiday many times more..

The whole resort is sooo beautiful, but there is also so much more that for me it made it the perfect place!! Just LOVE everything!
The whole place- and total philosophy behind it, is so incredible. You can truly feel this is coming from a pure wish of making a difference and creating something very beautiful!

Just by having a eco-/organic resort and choosing that line, is in itself a statement that gives so much respect, because it requires so much more to do that then just not.. Every single piece on the resort is actually hand picked and have a history behind it!

They also have an organic garden and 80 % of what they serve is their own produce. The food is excellent!!

They also yoga schedule that is brilliant!! Many different classes with such a variety, also included dance and music. And the teachers are all just the best, high standard!!
On top of this they also arrange many great events all year around.

Also a lovely Spa with great treatments!

For a complete holiday this is really a magical place!! But they have a true community around it as well,,so the whole Desa Seni is including so much more! I still stay in Bali and am so blessed to be able to still be connected to it all..

All of the owners and staff really deserves so much aknowledgement and positive feedback! They are all so great.. But just want to give a little extra credit to those who saw me and did that little extra for me this time! First; Tom and Howard for doing all of this and taking it up to another level, commiting to such a pure philosophy and vision..Always present and taking care of everybody.. Joseph, the manager that just are a true gem, Gede and Komang in the restaurant, Nyoman for brilliant treatments in the Spa and last, but not least, my beyond amazing yogateacher Daphna!

A small, small suggestion for a possible change, can be more raw food/vegan options..

My best wishes for Desa Senis future! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
WOW on your review!! What a pleasure to read and thank you so much for all your time and effort in posting such a long and wonderful review - it is very much appreciated. I have already printed and posted it on our staff bulletin board and everyone was thrilled to read it. We look forward to welcoming you again and thank you again!! Terima Kasih banyak!!
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at Desa Seni for 2 nights - and wished I could've stayed much longer.

The staff are incredible. The rooms (and the history behind each room) are beautiful. Desa Seni is a magical place, with a lot of charm. I love walking around at night, or just prior to sunrise, and seeing all the coloured lanterns lit up around the place.

The pool is large, clean, and relaxing. The spa is very nice - much cheaper than Western prices, despite being more expensive than typical Bali prices - but it is luxury!

I love love love that they grow so much organic food - that gets carried into the kitchen each day. The menu is fantastic, and fresh - although not a huge amount of vegetarian or vegans options (but the ones that are there are yum!).

The yoga was excellent - the teachers a great. Although some classes get very packed, so get there early (you have to register at the front desk in advance for each class).

The place is so lovely, you won't even feel the need to go out and about really.

I was able to stay there all day, after checking out, as I had a night flight. So I relaxed and stayed by the pool, and got some spa treatments. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will look at expanding our menu options to provide more vegan options, we are always happy to cater to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again. Terima Kasih banyak!!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Desa Seni was simply divine and I really don't want to share with the world, I want it to be my secret haven....but that would not be in the spirit of the place nor of the wonderful people working at Desa Seni. I stayed for 5 nights only but wished I had planned longer.
The classes were all fantastic and teachers were so inspiring and encouraging. I tried everything I could and felt so much positive energy radiating after each session.

The food, from garden bed to plate each day was so fresh, well prepared, healthy and delicious.
My Village house was so authentic and comfortable - it took all of a minute to unwind and leave my city life behind.
I highly recommend Desa Seni and will certainly return. Every element of the stay was spectacular. My only complaint is you need to concentrate and look down while walking on the wooden sleepers - but I would rather be looking up at the beautiful surroundings - its a first world problem (!) but i am sure I could learn quickly. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review - it is very much appreciated and we are thrilled you enjoyed yourself so much. The staff are always so eager to read the reviews, and it pleases them so much to be mentioned! They and wonderful guests like yourself make it all possible. Thanks to you! Terima Kasih Banyak!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First time to a yoga retreat & it was amazing all round from the moment we got there...the staff very friendly & all remembered your name, rooms Balinese authentic, food was incredible and organic veges homegrown used with all meals. Attentive to service needs & areas where you can relax by yourself. Had an average massage there, but everything else was superb. Booking next year!

• Stayed September 2013
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review - it is greatly appreciated. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit. Matur suksema and terima kasih!!

Been to Desa Seni, A Village Resort? Share your experiences!