“A living fairytale resort - amazing service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desa Seni, A Village Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canggu
Desa Seni, A Village Resort
You added Desa Seni, A Village Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Kayu Putih #13, Pantai Berawa, Canggu, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Canggu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bali, Indonesia
“A living fairytale resort - amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Two nights wasn't enough at Desa Seni, and you know you're having a great time in a place when you don't even consider leaving the resort. For two days and two nights there was nothing that tempted me out of the gates of Desa Seni! My room was at the back, so lovely and quiet and the resident yellow bellied lizard kept me company as he sunbathed on the slabs while I worked. I found this a great place to edit and write, the staff always know exactly when you might need something and when to leave you alone. I loved all the guys, they always had one of those beautiful Balinese smiles to share and nothing was too much trouble.

The food at Desa Seni is some of the best, if not the best, I've had in Bali, and I've lived in Ubud for 7 months. The Kadek salad in particular was so fresh... they grow a lot of their produce around the resort in the organic garden. I was interested in the eco-friendly aspect of this place and it doesn't disappoint. You won't find any plastic, each room has its own water cooler and glasses, the gorgeous-smelling shampoo, conditioner and shower gel are filled up in their own lovely bottles... the list goes on.

The swimming was great and the colourful loungers were very comfy. There was hardly anyone using the pool or pool area when I was there so I was able to read my book and watch the birds. I just love the feel of this space, it has a great energy. Like I said, I didn't leave for two days as the food was the best food I've had anywhere, and also, Anna's yoga class was great. The yoga studio is stunning, you feel like you're in a Balinese fitness commercial with that scenery. The whole place looks like a Tim Burton movie set at night too, with its colourful lamps lighting the little stepping stone pathways. The frogs are just an added bonus to the atmosphere.

I found the WIFI connection here very strong in my room. There's no WIFI in the main restaurant I don't think, but that's fine. I watched a few movies from my comfy bed. There's a free movie library I think, though I took some of my own and used the DVD player. The TV could maybe have been a bit bigger, but really that's a silly thing to note because you shouldn't be watching TV in a place like this, haha!

I love the free mosquito repellent that was in my room, all natural and it really worked. You can buy it in the little shop on site, as well as clothing. I bought some yoga pants so I could take Anna's class, so now when I wear them I'll think of my two days in fairy land!
Thanks Desa Seni, I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I loved attending the Yoga and Meditation classes at Desa Seni, the lovely instructor Anna makes a meditation session pure heaven and it's well worth your time even if you are a beginner like me and not staying at Desa Seni.

Yoga was awesome, Anna took our class at an easy to follow pace (there was a mix of both beginners and advanced in the class) which I'm sure is a skill she's mastered over the years.

The Yoga was a great workout without really knowing you were working hard (oh except for the sweat) and I felt the stretch in muscles I did not even know I had.

Attending one of Anna's classes is a true gift.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Desa Seni for the "Banjar Break" package. We were immediately impressed by the grounds-- it is a living art community with beautiful gardens and local Balinese art all around. The homes are original and authentic, and the furniture is all antique, recycled and re-purposed. It's a very conscious community in that it's eco-aware, grows most of its own food it serves in the restaurant, offers very good yoga and meditation classes (best I've had in a resort setting), and the massage at the spa was fantastic! It is very quiet and serene, surrounded by rice paddys. At night, the place is dimly lit up with multi-colored lanterns -- a very cool vibe. The staff knew our names and we felt like we knew all of them by the end of our stay. I would recommend Desa Seni to anyone looking for an authentic Balinese experience, high vibration food, yoga, wellness and overall relaxation.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rumah Wungstu which was great for a couple and set back so you have a lot of privacy.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Overall, Desa Seni is a beautiful place. The different villas are beautifully furnished and the gardens super trimmed. We really liked the organic and almost vegetarian food which came in a wide variety of dishes. Also, the complementary yoga lessons were great, even if a bit too crowded sometimes.
On our arrival we were told that we would not have to worry about sunbeds - there would be some for every guest. Unfortunately, there was not. After having finally found someone of the staff he was just shrugging his shoulders, saying that obviously all sunbeds were taken. The staff in general was very nice but not as professional as we would have wished. It was always small things, but after 8 days at Desa Seni those small things had summarized to a rather unpleasant amount.
Apart from that we were on our honeymoon trip and would have liked it a little more quiet. Contradictory to the impression we had before arriving, there were quite a lot of families with children there.
I sum, we think that regardig the rather high room rates, Desa Seni should offer slightly higher standards concerning several aspects.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rumah Siva, which is a little small when you spent a lot of time in your room due to he...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Desa Seni was by far, the best hotel service we had ever experienced. All the staff knew our names even before we introduced ourselves and remembered them for the duration of our stay. They dealt with food preferences such as vegetarian and gluten free like pro's. It was clean, pristine and peaceful. The food is all organic and grown on site where possible. The yoga classes all amazing. A total oasis.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We spend wonderful relaxing time in Desa Seni as a family. The family cottage we had was spectacular and uniquely decorated plus had modern comforts such as AC and TV. The grounds are very beautiful, comfortable and well kept. All around grows organic fruit and vegetables. If you are into yoga I warmly recommend. Classes were well run, professional and in those surroundings, very special indeed. Full relaxation.
Well thought into a detail. Very special!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
new york,usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Really enjoyed the unique accommodations and furnishings. A pleasure to spend time in the room, on the rooms porch and at the pool. Food, especially the breakfast, was great and loved the fact it was mostly organic and grown on the property. Service was also very good. Not your typical glitzy 5 star hotel but if you want an authentic "Bali" experience at a fair price this is at the top of my list in this area. Will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Desa Seni, A Village Resort? Share your experiences!